Old Gunpla's Manual Scans(pics inside)

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
flamingtroll

Re: Old Gunpla's Manual Scans(pics inside)

balofo wrote: PS: the beam saber one appears to explains why it has a heat knife attached and it mentions a Thruster Unit, requesting translations
It's just saying how it's stored inside the left thruster unit and how there is a heat kinfe attached to the grip as its speical feature. Doesn't explain why it's there.

EDIT: might as well go through this
balofo wrote: -zzsa different missiles
-methuss' obscure heat hawk function of its beam sabers
-hambrabi's sea serpent and the web like trio attack(is it a different kind of sea serpernt?)
-v2's beam rifle with large grenadelauncher
zzsa different missiles: There is the Large H class and the Small S class. Axis's weapons are all standardized and each type can be commonly used . In addition to the commonly used 02S and 03H, Zassa is also armed with the multi-warhead 04H and the proximity fuse type 05S

-methuss beam hawk: it does say it can also form a hawk shape blade
-hambrabi's sea serpent/web : The caption calls it "Spider's Nest". It says it's a weapon similar to the sea serpent. It electrocutes the enemy MS with 3 times the electricity.
-v2's beam rifle with large grenadelauncher: Medium range weapon. The magazine contains spare ammo. It can be fired in succession.
Calubin_175

Not much time to translate everything now.

Jegan
Beam rifle: Similar to the HGUC description; short barrel, short range, rapid fire.

Grenades: Can be set to explode upon contact of metal substances or time delayed. Primarily used for close combat. (The latter choice is probably applicable to the bazooka rounds that the Unicorn Gundam fired in episode 3 when he disabled one of the Geara Zulus. )

Vulcan pod: I think the magazine enters from the right side of the head.

Beam saber: Has two emitters on the same end. It is usually operated in high output mode (both emitters on I assume), but there are occasions when low output setting is used.

Background info.
The GM series have been gradually less acknowledged as the mass production model of a Gundam, but rather it is just a basic mass productive machine. This is because the RGM line does not take any innovative or definitve traits from newer Gundams such as transformation and psy-commu ability. The Jegan is primarily built for space use. Anaheim originally wanted the Jegan to be like the Zaku, in that it can switch equipment and meet local warfare and specific mission requirements. Didn't quite get the last sentence, I need to use the dictionary to translate that.

It is quite true that the MSs in RGM line are no longer a simplified Gundam. We have the Nemo and GM III taking on the Mk-II movable frame to become a 2nd Generation model, but there was no Zeta or ZZ GM equivalent, until the RGZ-95 ReZEL came out, which was the first GM with 3rd Generation tech. Note that the Generations are determined by its innovative tech, which may not be necessary for an MP model.
balofo

found some translations for the Jegan Manual:

-The beam rifle is marginally more powerful than previous line of mass-production MS and it uses an integrated sensor suite that links to the Jegan’s main camera and laser sensors.
-The grenade rack houses three (hand-held?) grenades. Used for close to medium-range combat.
-The shield uses a movable-mount mechanism that rotates the shield on a single axis for offense and defensive purposes. The shield also houses two missile tubes at each sides for long-range combat. Also, like most physical shield, it is coated with a layer of anti-beam coating that deflects/glances (medium-powered) beam shots.
-The beam saber had two places where the beam would come out, but the purpose for this was to set the output of the beam, this is either a long and narrow beam (normal) or a shorter yet wider beam (more damage).
-The 60mm vulcan pod is similar to the RX-178, ammo is fed from a magazine clip that is slotted to the right-side of the head.
-Jegan Cannon Head:The head unit’s main camera had been upgraded into a long-range sensor and linked to the laser sensors at the top part of the visor for accuracy. A communications antennae is mounted behind the vulcan pod.

still would like to see translations for the Jegan Cannon blurbs.
flamingtroll

The Jegan Cannon is a MS redesigned for heavy arms. Two beam cannons and two missle pods were added. The generator was changed and the legs were strengthend. The MS is focused on ground combat while being able to handle space combat as well. Currently data has been collected from the prototype and mass production preprations are proceeding.

Backpack:
Used exclusively by Jegan cannon. The waist armor plate and missle pods are fixed. The thruster's output are greater than regular versions while the veriner arms are short. Mobility is not a big consideration.

a couple of interesting things :
Vulcan: Cartridgeless, no shell ejection needed (this is interesting, counter to most depictions, even in Unicorn), useful for damaging enemy sensor and joints in dog fights
Shield: shield missles have compound sensors at the tip, and can be guided without much interference even under minovsky particles. Although, the propellent capacity is low and they are still used like grenades in close combats.
Calubin_175

Read a bit from the HGUC Colony Use Rick Dom II manual and discovered that most of the the light green colored ones were adjusted to be also able to operate under atmosphere and in colonies. This versatility parallels that of the Gelgoog and Zaku II F, in that it also requires no modification to operate under gravity.

The card builder version of this Rick Dom II is called Zaku II color and it cannot operate in space, and not too well in the desert.

The HGUC Rick Dom II manual did say there may have been some under gravity operational versions such as the colony use one.

Both manuals also seem to emphasise that the heat saber was only equipped onto ones used during the Delaz Conflict.
balofo

1)Dreissen, courtesy of a /m/ anon:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/img010bh.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/img009io.jpg/

Requesting translations on new hand gatling gun(beam?), land(?) type backpack, and anything else that may be interesting. Does it mention that Rakan destroyed 4 AEUG Nemos in a test tun?

2)Alpha Azieru and Jamru Fin, courtesy of bilbros:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96 ... man01.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/70 ... man01.jpg/

Nothing extremely interesting on these ones besides that the Jamru Fin is a descendant of Big Zam and the Alpha has 6 vulcan in total(2 forehead, 2x in each temple). Alpha's weapons are all short range ones besided the funnel. Does that paragraph mention the Nighingale in relation to the Beta Azieru?
Calubin_175

I just have the time to translate the Dreissen main profile text, the HGUC ver did paraphrase some of it, same goes for the GPF Neo Zeon Development article.

Gundam ZZ Background Information 16

Neo Zeon's General Purpose Mobile Suit Development
The Dreissen was the first Neo Zeon general purpose mass production MS. They were behind to this extend in the development of general purpose MS due to their lack of resources, hence they aimed at completing an MS with minimal requirements and prioritised their combat usage to be limited by terrain. They have trialed various general purpose MS, in which the candidate MS were evaluated against the following standard: Surpass Federation/AEUG MS in general performance, while not being inferior in terms of mass productivity and usability. As a result, the Dreissen and Zaku III were considered in favour of the Hamma Hamma, R Jaja and Bawoo.

While both the Dreissen and Zaku III were the successors of their One Year War counterparts, they were implemented with a new design concept, which became machines with stable performance. Neo Zeon engineers disdained the Hizack and the Rick Dias designs, and Haman was focused on the development of the two said Neo Zeon machines.

AMX-009 Dreissen
Though it bears heavy weighting on melee combat, it is a machine that excels in total balance, possessing firepower, durability and mobility worthy of a general purpose machine. Its armaments consist primarily of the melee weapons Beam Tomahawk, lancer and tri blade, and its arms are freed up by having internalised beam cannons.

The Dreissen made its debut around the same time when Mashymar occupied Shangri-la, during Rakan's occupation of the Arcadia Colony, where Rakan, in a prototype Dreissen, destroyed 4 of AEUG's Nemos.

I did just realise this fact recently through the GPF 21 article on Neo Zeon MS Development. While there are no contradictions, it did describe the knight use mobile suits as purpose specific rather than general purpose.
Last edited by Calubin_175 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
flamingtroll

1) For Dreissen,

The different type of backpack belongs to the Prototype Dreissen, which is supposed to use the mega bazooka at the top. It's supposed to the same one as the beam cannon used by Dowadge. It wasn't adopted because the melee-focused Tri-blade backpack does not provide enough power. The prototype backpack (or Ransel as they are called in the manual) has greater thrust and propellent capacity.

The Tri-blade can double as a flare countermeasure against infrared missles.

The other type of beam gun is actaully the earlier version tri-beam gun without the generator improvement that allows high power rapid fire. It has low output and used only for data collection.

**removed my chunk for the paragraoh after seeing Calubin_175's translation**

2)
It did mention nightingale for Beta Azieru, as an "extension" of it.
Calubin_175

The Jamil Fin is known as an incomplete Mobile Armor, in that it was originally meant to be designed as a large scale MA but due to its length in development, it was not suitable for the war situation at hand as immediate deployment was demanded. Other than the torso itself, the head, arms and legs were substitute components added for the hastily completed design and not part of the originally intended large MA design.

Haven't translated the latter part of the profile regarding MA class firepower and etc.
AmuroNT1

Just wanted to chime in really quick, "ransel" is a Dutch loanword that the Japanese use for backpacks, especially the hard-sided leather backpack used by younger schoolchildren. For some reason, they've taken to using this term for mecha backpacks.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

Thanks guys for all the translations so far, I guess this is it for my source of old manual scans. If you grab any on the net or scan them yourselves please share them here.

Shame they don't put effort on them nowadays...
Calubin_175

I think it is pretty smart of Neo Zeon to keep their high performance MS as general purpose given their survival rate is higher and can be redeployed in multiple situations, unlike the region limited low tier MS which are highly expendable anyway.
Enileph

balofo wrote:more:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2222/ban57135f.jpg
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9229/ban57135gu.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4834/ban59430e.jpg
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8734/ban59430f.jpg
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5449/jeganmanual.jpg

-requesting translation on the jegan's manual, including beam(looks to have 2 types of emitter), hand grenades(why they exist, most useless space weapon ever?), jegan canon
Requesting more info on the gundam and its Armaments?
Gelgoog Jager

Regarding Neo Zeon's MS development, this does seem to put the final nail on the coffin of the theory of the Zaku III competing against the Dooben Wolf late in the war for becoming Neo Zeon's next mainstay MS. As suggested by the pressence of Zaku III units on Dakar, the design was most likely completed and deployed around the same time as the Dreissen, whose first unit belonged to the forces that participated on the same descent operation.

I do find odd that we only see about 8 Zaku IIII units, including Mashymere's, during the course of the series. The above mentioned context would indicate that the Zaku III should ahve been produced in numbers at least as large as the Dreissen's original production run, which should include the Dreissens we see before and during the ground arc (about 16 units), as it was originally meant to be mainly used on Earth. Maybe the Zaku III was the opposite case and mainly deployed on space sometime after Haman departed to Earth, justifying its low numbers on screen.

As for the Dreissen's beam bazooka, while the design do seems to be quite similiar to the one used by the Dwadge Reinforcement Type, the background of the later doesn't seem to provide an explanation on how the designed ended on the hands of Earth-bound Zeon remnants.

Should we assume that Axis did mantain contact with the Zeon remnants and actually provided them technology? If so, the Desert Zaku upgrade used by all Zeon remnants and anti-Federation guerillas might have been provided by Axis (providing a convincing explanation on how all those groups ended up with the same design).

Then there's the Dwadge Reinforcement type itself. I have thought about this before: could this unit also be a design provided by Axis? Wouldn't it basically be the ground equivalent of the ReGelg: an improved version of a OYW model, with additional mobility provided by the extra thrusters on its shoulders. Its color seems to be a big hint as well as both units use similiar colors, which by the way, does not match Rommel's previous personal unit's color.

Considering all these ideas, this is my idea of how Neo Zeon's original MS development plan was supposed to look like:

Space units:
-Ga-Zowmn
-Gaza-C/Gaza-D
-Gaza-E (intended for atmosphere use as SFS?)
-Jamru Fin (incomplete MA completed with substitute components)
-ReGelg (updated Gelgoog)
-Zaku III (Zaku HMT successor)

Ground units:
-Capule
-Dreissen (Dom/Dwadge successor)
-Dwadge Reinforcement Type (updated Dwadge)
-Gallus-J/Gallus-K
-Shamblo (design completed, but not built)
-Zssa

Knight units:
-Bawoo
-Gazu-L/Gazu-R
-Hamma Hamma
-Qubeley Mark I/Mark II
-R-Jarja

The Dooben-Wolf, Geymalk and Queen Mansa would be developed after Neo Zeon captured and analyzed the Gundam Mk V and the Psycho Gundam Mk II.
mcred23

Gelgoog Jager wrote:Should we assume that Axis did mantain contact with the Zeon remnants and actually provided them technology? If so, the Desert Zaku upgrade used by all Zeon remnants and anti-Federation guerillas might have been provided by Axis (providing a convincing explanation on how all those groups ended up with the same design).
I'm inclined to think that isn't the case, if only because I'm not sure how Axis would be able to supply them the technology or even get in contact with them before they returned to Earth Sphere. The old explanation for the remnants having the technology and MS we see them with, that they stole the units from the Federation, seems much more plausable to me as we have numerious examples of the EFF of the era using updated versions of old Zeon machines and I'd think it would be easier for them to just raid those local backwater bases than somehow getting supplied by people from space.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Gelgoog Jager

mcred23 wrote:I'm inclined to think that isn't the case, if only because I'm not sure how Axis would be able to supply them the technology or even get in contact with them before they returned to Earth Sphere. The old explanation for the remnants having the technology and MS we see them with, that they stole the units from the Federation, seems much more plausable to me as we have numerious examples of the EFF of the era using updated versions of old Zeon machines and I'd think it would be easier for them to just raid those local backwater bases than somehow getting supplied by people from space.
I also consider that the theory of the ZZ versions of the Desert Zaku and Dowadge being Federation models is a good explanation on why all these machines used by different groups seem to have the same design and specs. However the MS-09H beam cannon do provides an odd situation of an Axis weapon in the hands of a group of Zeon remnants that hadn't rendezvous with the Neo Zeon forces that descended to Earth. For the reasons explained in my previous post, the MS-09H itself also seems to have several coincidences with the ReGelg.

I do acknowledge what you say and have to agree that it is unlikely that Axis/Neo Zeon provided weapons or MS to the Zeon remnants, at least directly that is. I think it's possible that they could have done so through Anaheim, which is the party implied to provide weapons to these groups on later years. Particularly on MSV-R, we have an example of a Gelgoog that Anaheim upgraded with Gundarium alloy. In ZZ we are told that the Dowadges also have Gundarium alloy. Then there's also the Juagg from Unicorn which had a fairly resistant armor that endured being struck with a beam saber. In all these cases, Anaheim might be the one providing these "upgrades" to the remnants MS.

Another example of Anaheim providing spare items to the Zeon remnants are the weapons used by the Marasais in the Unicorn OVA. I think the best explanation for those is that Anaheim provided them weapons that belonged to MS no longer in production (Gabthley and Hambrabi) and that would otherwise remain unused in some warehouse.
domtropen

Since now there seem to be more Gabthley around than before it may be possible that Feydeen rifle and other Schirocco's inventions may have been mass produced in small quantities and falls into Neo Zeon's hand via Titans defect?
toysdream

Anaheim wasn't involved in producing the Gabthley or Hambrabi, so this seems unlikely. On the other hand, we see a Marasai with a fedayeen rifle in the Zeta movies - that's obviously where the Gundam UC staff got the idea. So it probably came along with the Marasai in the first place.

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

Regarding the MS that use the Feyadeen Rifle

AFAIK there were only 5 Gabthleys out there:
-2 units which Jerid lost, the first one he lost it during his first battle with it and had to escape inside Mouar's unit
-1 unit used by Mouar
-2 variants from AoZ: Hugin and Munin

I don't think there's any indication of any other Hambrabis beside the 3 used by Yazan's team.

As for the Marasai using the Feyadeen Rifle, the one from the Zeta movies seems to be the only unit at that time that is seen using it. I don't think it is much different from the Rick Dias that is seen using a Galbaldy Beta's rifle: it can use it but is taken from another unit and not part of it's regular weapons.

That said, I do agree that the UC staff probably got the idea from that unit.

Regarding the Sea Serpent, beside the Zeon Marasais and the Hambrabis, is it ever used by any other unit? That would help us figure out how common or uncommon these weapons actually are.

Mark: do you have any theories on how Rommel's MS-09H ended up with the beam cannon from the Prototype Dreissen?

Also, what's your opinion on the Zaku III's origins?