The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ShadowCell

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk IV

now we hate Gundam for "killing characters for cheap melodrama"?

welp, okay then. bye.
Spoiler
'cuz i mean she dies in the novel so y'know she's probably gon' die in the OVA too.
Admiral Larsen

ShadowCell wrote:now we hate Gundam for "killing characters for cheap melodrama"?

welp, okay then. bye.
Spoiler
'cuz i mean she dies in the novel so y'know she's probably gon' die in the OVA too.
Pretty much what Shadowcell said. Still, I would suggesting waiting and seeing how it plays out in the OVA before jumping to conclusions (if the rumors about a possible change to the ending are correct).
Kratos

schwarz ritter wrote:I've had enough with good characters like Daguza and Gilboa being killed off for the sake of cheap melodrama, and if they kill Lady Marida, I'll boycott Sunrise somehow.
Considering your reaction to this, I'd say the deaths achieved their intended purpose.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Deacon Blues

The first PV has broke. The ending theme will be by Boom Boom Satellites called "Broken Mirror".
DuelGundam2099

Well, that preview video was.... disappointing. :?
balofo

Full Rage Mode Riddhe?

10 bucks he'll perform that spinning wave rider beam saber attack from EXVS on some poor
Spoiler
Ankusha.
Shinji_Shinigami

say, was the guy with the gray hairs Kai Shiden? That dude is still arround?
penguintruth

I'm excited for Kai Shiden, especially since Toshio Furukawa is my favorite Japanese voice actor.

However... it is very telling that a lot of the PV is just people talking.
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
Rawinder

penguintruth wrote:However... it is very telling that a lot of the PV is just people talking.
Which... is no different from the other PVs.
Arbiter GUNDAM

*sigh*

Cyber Newtype is spelled t-r-a-g-e-d-y.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
schwarz ritter

ShadowCell wrote:now we hate Gundam for "killing characters for cheap melodrama"?

welp, okay then. bye.
Spoiler
Spoiler
She doesn't deserve to die: in my opinion, Fukui did that because he was making a rushed ending, and it was a cheap move to add what I call cheap melodrama.

I doubt they'll change her fate in the OVA, considering both the Ples trend of dying to "protect" others and the fact that UC is a "No Woman's Land". Literally.
Admiral Larsen wrote:

welp, okay then. bye.
Spoiler
Pretty much what Shadowcell said. Still, I would suggesting waiting and seeing how it plays out in the OVA before jumping to conclusions (if the rumors about a possible change to the ending are correct).

Even if they change the
Spoiler
pseudo-Evangelion rip-off ending
I'm still sure they'll
Spoiler
kill her off
because, to the eyes of the Japanese, she's "damaged goods" due to her inability to have children. That and the reasons I posted previously.

EDIT: please use the spoiler tags and don't double-post.

~ShadowCell
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
schwarz ritter

Oh God, sorry for the double post :?
I'm new in this forum, or any forum at that.

Thanks for the heads-up anyhow :)
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Deacon Blues

He was rushing the ending? Not hardly... she was pegged pretty early on for getting whacked.
Kratos

Great PV. I actually really like the "dialogue-less scenes overlaid with music" method for doing teaser trailers; it really makes me anticipate the episode without too much being revealed. Colour me excited.
schwarz ritter wrote:
Spoiler
She doesn't deserve to die: in my opinion, Fukui did that because he was making a rushed ending, and it was a cheap move to add what I call cheap melodrama.
Spoiler
Did Bernie "deserve" to die? Did Ramba Ral? "Deserving" has nothing to do with it. When people fight, when the stakes are this high, somebody is bound to die and some of those dead are bound to be good people. Marida is also one of Gundam's tragic cyber-Newtypes, a character archetype; I hardly call it "cheap melodrama" if she is written as a likable character so that her tragedy has an actual impact on the audience. In fact, I call that "good writing".
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
ShadowCell

Not only that, but these are fictional characters, not people in the sense of you and I. And the likes of Daguza and Gilboa aren't even the main character. They live and die as required by the plot, by the themes, by the message, by the character arcs, and by the main character's development.

A better question to ask is, what would you get if you spared those characters?
Amadi Akintunde

schwarz ritter wrote:because, to the eyes of the Japanese, she's "damaged goods" due to her inability to have children. That and the reasons I posted previously.
There's irony in this

Somewhere
zetatype

Chris wrote:
Kratos wrote:Plus maybe a movie. I recall that possibility being brought up some time ago.
An unfounded rumor that has never been substantiated. If there was going to be a movie, they would've announced it by now, and they wouldn't be cutting out as much stuff from the novels.
The way I heard it was that around the time of the release of episode 3 in March, the director stated that once episode 5 was released he would reveal what he has planned for the ending of Unicorn, hence why we haven't heard anything about a movie yet.

Though granted, it is more likely that it is just an unfounded rumor.
Chris
Administrator

zetatype wrote:
Chris wrote:
Kratos wrote:Plus maybe a movie. I recall that possibility being brought up some time ago.
An unfounded rumor that has never been substantiated. If there was going to be a movie, they would've announced it by now, and they wouldn't be cutting out as much stuff from the novels.
The way I heard it was that around the time of the release of episode 3 in March, the director stated that once episode 5 was released he would reveal what he has planned for the ending of Unicorn, hence why we haven't heard anything about a movie yet.

Though granted, it is more likely that it is just an unfounded rumor.
This in itself sounds like a rumor, as I have never heard any reports that the director would have an announcement to make after episode 5.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
wielder

I don't know if he may well have stated that elsewhere, but the director did mention in the ANN interview from last year that episode 5 would be more "loyal" to the novel, compared to number 4 which had a "different arrangement" as we all know. Nothing about whether or not we will get to see if the ending is going to be changed in any particular way.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Andrew_Graruru

Chris wrote:
This in itself sounds like a rumor, as I have never heard any reports that the director would have an announcement to make after episode 5.
Not the director, but Fukui has said they'll be an announcement about the ending at the ep 5 premiere: http://en.gundam.info/topic/6202

"After seeing episode 4, I'm sure you're all wondering "How will it end?" We'll have a special announcement about the ending when episode 5 premieres. "

At first I thought this might be a movie, but after reading the ep 5 synopsis that seems unlikely. Maybe the final ep will be feature length or something.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.