Seraphic's Section - digital art livestreams

The place to share your artwork.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Re: Seraphic's Section - old junk in color 10.1.11

Panzer Gemini

Decided to color some 4 year old lineart. I don't think any reviews or critiques on the lineart are necessary. You may still discuss the unit itself, if you like. However, I do still admire this piece for its relatively good proportion and posture for the time I drew it. Had a hard time doing the reflection for the blade.

Colored in one night. I haven't hammered out the profile for this one yet.

*edit: page 9, wcch!! >=o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

The sad thing is I can't really bring myself to make any noteworthy comments about the coloring job because I'm seeing the lineart first and foremost. which by the way distracts from any quality of the color by being so grainy.

That said from what I can tell your coloring job is of similar quality to your other works. My most common complaint it seems when it comes to your colored art is the tendency to stick with grey scale colors.

I think the mecha's shadow wasn't really all that needed.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
Seraphic

Haha, like I said the lineart is from four years ago. The scan (at the time) didn't come out too well because it was drawn on notebook paper, and my lines weren't all that clean. Does it look super super grainy on your monitor or something? Like how your scans always look too light for me to see the lineart?

I'll readily admit that I like monochrome colors, (and I think I probably think in monochrome also) but there are reasons otherwise: in The Sword, Martian MS and MD are mass produced on an enormous scale and rushed out to deployment. They weren't too worried about fancy paint jobs. Most of the ace MS are uncolored, also. It also doesn't make sense for me to make a military machine a bunch of fancy colors.

Yeah, no need for a shadow (and the blade and shield randomly floating there with no shadow of their own makes the space perception weird) but I was tired of my backgrounds looking flat and dimensionless, so I added the shadow for the hell of it. I like the shadow.

Hahaha, have you noticed that our interactions on this thread basically boil down to:

Crash: I think this, this, and this should be fixed.
Seraph: Oh, it's just like that because of this, this, and this. *doesn't fix anything*

I think it's just me being stubborn or something. :lol: Thanks for dropping by, of course! I'm not sure what I'll be working on next.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

crashlegacy14

Yeah I've noticed how our interactions tend to go. maybe if I say it enough you'll actually do it lol. as for our lines, your stuff always seems to look a bit like your lines where laid down a bit heavy handed to me and I can easily acknowledge your observations about my scanned lines being too light.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Seraphic

Re: Seraphic's Section - Ethereal Gundam 12.20.11

Ethereal Gundam

lineart

Another attempt at this design. It might be one of those designs I have to redo over and over until I like it, like the Wing HY Custom.

It looks simple at a glance, but its geometry is rather pleasing if you look more closely at it. Ethereal Gundam's appearance is supposed to be functional rather than flashy. I'm somewhat unhappy that it looks so gruff and mean rather than pretty like the other pictures. I am also confused by the fact that it somehow looks like a Transformer. Maybe it's the apparent geometry on everything....

I had wanted its Wings of Light to be a slightly lavender color, but seeing as the entire frame is now purple-ish, I think that is a bit too much. Perhaps I'll just make them produce white light. The frame used to have a secondary color, but it looked stupid, so now the frame is just two-toned, which is pretty rare for a Gundam, I guess.

I am liking its visor much more in this iteration. In the old drawings, it looked too much like a character, so I think pulling the visor down over its eyes give it a more machine-like appearance. I simplified the spear, and I like this one much better. I decided to make the handgun try to look more sci-fi and simple instead of something an actual person would use. I also like this one, but I know it could be better.

Anyway, I'm not going to post its profile today since it needs to be re-written. Maybe I'll post it alongside the design sheet for its other equipment and stuff.

So out of practice.
-Antares

tehprognoob

Re: Seraphic's Section - Ethereal Gundam 12.20.11

Does that have anything to do with the G-Reko poster's skinny gundam-looking thingy?

The similarity is striking.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Seraphic

Re: Seraphic's Section - With our powers combined...! 1.13.1

A quick and dirty piece:

Deviljho plays the trumpet.
-Antares

Seraphic

Re: Seraphic's Section - Old junk in color 2.26.12

What, nobody has a sense of humor around here?

Anyway, I colored some 3 year old lineart, lol:

Gemini MD
Role: Space Type Mobile Doll
Features: Mobile DOLL System
Armaments: Heavy machinegun x1, Heat saber x1, Shield x1
Options: Beam rifle, Beam saber
Description:
The Gemini is a mobile doll type mobile suit designed to be mass produced in great numbers. As such, it has bare minimum armor and equipment, usually sporting no beam weapons. Later in the war, most units are not even painted upon completion. While it can operate in many environments, it is primarily a space-borne MS, having no feet in place of simple landing gears on its legs. Due to its extreme light weight, its mobility is greater than that of a Taurus.
The frame of the Gemini MD is fairly poor, unable to handle well the recoil of the powerful machinegun it wields, and it is easily overpowered in physical strength. The Gemini overcomes its weaknesses with great numbers and is always found working in squads. There are some battles in which they outnumber enemy units 100 to 1.
The MD combat computer employed in each unit is fairly poor, with logic and reaction time not significantly greater than that of an average human pilot. Often, squads of Gemini are controlled by a master unit with a more powerful computer or by a commander type mobile suit with ZERO system. Squads can often be incapacitated by destroying the commanding unit and severing the control link to the slave units. Late in the war, the MD combat computer is improved to allow for more autonomy and greater performance. Later units are also equipped with beam weapons. Squads can become extremely dangerous when a skilled ZERO system user assumes command.

I kind of enjoy the orange, but of course they can come in all manner of colors.
-Antares

Wingnut

I'm seeing a lot of the DC's Lion series in that Gemini MD along with some of the Ahead's lines.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Turinu

I get more of an Armored Core 4A vibe from that mobile suit.
tehprognoob

Yay for zerg suits
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Seraphic

Re: Seraphic's Section - wouldn't it be nice? 3.1.12

Wingnut wrote:I'm seeing a lot of the DC's Lion series in that Gemini MD along with some of the Ahead's lines.
I'm not entirely sure what those things are, to be honest, Wingnut. I think people have mentioned the Lion to me before, though. Shori would be more on the money. =3

You know what? I'm thinking that Aoki's always looking dramatic and gloomy in all the pictures, so why not just do one differently for her sake?

No More Frowning

lineart

I suppose she just emotes a little more quietly than is usual in anime. (Wouldn't you like for anime to tone it down a bit sometimes?) This is actually the first time I've colored her, and I think it turned out pretty good. Of course, I'm sure I completely screwed up something I can't make out yet. And yeah, I know the symmetry is a little off.

A little tired of having a bad day every day. Aoki and I are going to turn this shit around.

Things of Interest!!

Listen to Bill Burr, gentlemen. It'll save your life.
-Antares

Turinu

Hmm... Totally seems like she's forcing the smile. P: A nice but simple coloring job, better than I'm able to do with my lineart; I suck when it comes to clothes folds and shading, :P.

Still, good job. I need to get around to uploading some of my character work for Frame Crash, since all I ever upload is mecha. >_>
Seraphic

Shori wrote:Hmm... Totally seems like she's forcing the smile. P:
...not sure if serious.... o_o I tried my best! ;_;

I still don't feel particularly great about my folds, personally. Hoping to do a fold study soon. You can always get around it with skin-tight clothes, lol. I also think I've hit a plateau in my shading technique until I decide to just mouse paint or get a tablet. I do my best to make everything effective, though.

I'd really like to see more of your character work; what I've seen so far has been really nice. I need to start doing more mecha, but it's just so much damn work to do in the middle of the semester, and I can't afford to be too distracted from quantum mechanics as it is.

And because I don't have anything new to post...

Things of Interest!!

Ever lose your passion for your work?
-Antares

Ryujin

Seraphic wrote:I still don't feel particularly great about my folds, personally. Hoping to do a fold study soon.
Rendering realistic-looking folds & fabrics has always been suffering. :(
Seraphic

Ryujin wrote:
Seraphic wrote:I still don't feel particularly great about my folds, personally. Hoping to do a fold study soon.
Rendering realistic-looking folds & fabrics has always been suffering. :(
Jesus Christ. When the best artist on the board admits that something is horribly difficult, you know the rest of us are in for a lot of pain. :shock:

Anyway, watch me be cheap and post something with no folds at all! =3

Giga Earth Broad Sword
lineart
WIP

First of all, let me apologize for my gross inability to render backgrounds. I am absolutely horrible with Shop. It was just a quick and dirty paint job so I wasn't stuck doing this all weekend.

So, this all came out of the idea of a "really broad sword" as a joke weapon for this character, but lately I'm thinking it could have some legitimate use in the project. If you recall, Marian is an earth mage whose magic manipulates earth, minerals, and stones. The Giga Earth Broad Sword is 'summoned' through a forging spell that shapes hyper-dense stone into the shape of a weapon. Of course it's really heavy, so it can only be wielded with earth magic manipulation, and while in use, Marian can't cast any other spells.

At first, she would be a little too weak to wield it, so it would mostly serve as a shield. The sword would shatter after a few uses/attacks because it's made of stone, but it would deal extremely heavy damage. As Marian improves her forging spell, the sword becomes more durable and can be used more heavily/offensively. Eventually, she'll be able to forge it from metal ore, and very rarely and in the right area, even forge it from solid gold and platinum. (Sell for money, lol.)

'As Was Written' is an rpg I have rolling around in my head, so I think this sword would have some interesting mechanics and gameplay. Just an idea.

Thanks for having a look. =o
-Antares

crashlegacy14

Re: Seraphic's Section - You call that a knife? 4.7.12

I have more trouble with getting hair "right" then folds in clothing. my major downfall in clothing is remembering to factor in the thickness of material. or not knowing how something is tied or wrapped or what have you. of course Google is always happy to shed light on the latter.

no AC V love?

Interesting concept there Sera. the blade being so broad however can throw off the viewers view of any fore-shortening you may do with the weapon.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Seraphic

Well you get a lot of practice, Crash, so you don't count. :mrgreen:

The mechanical design in V is rather ugly to me, so I don't really feel like drawing much of it.

I'm not sure if I actually did any foreshortening on it at all. I admit it was very challenging to do a pose with such a large weapon so that either the sword or the character wasn't completely obscured by the other.

Anyway, new scraps:

Twin heavy swords.

The first material produced for a personal project "313: The Memory of a Beast Called Nostalgia".

They are a pair of heavy swords used by giant mechanical suit of armor the Razor Frame: Stega. 313 takes place in an alternate future when humanity wages war in deep space without the use of firearms. The Stega's pilot uses a fighting style truly adapted for space, a dual wielding style that has no "up" and covers all 720 degrees of direction.

The blades are more designed for slashing or cleaving, though the sword is capable of thrusting, a thrust would deal damage with brute strength rather than being pointed. There are separate blades on both the front edge and back edge of the weapon.

The swords are usually wielded one in each hand and can be handled traditionally or held by ring-style handle of the weapon. They allow the sword to be held at any angle and to even be spun freely in the Stega's hands and behave nearly like a flexible joint. The "free joint" allows the sword to be whipped around at great speeds.

There is a hidden weapon in the sword: The reason for its weight and girth is to house a beam blade projector in the center ridge. The long beam blades can only be used briefly, but are intended to allow the Stega to fell battleships on its own when within enemy lines.

More info on RF: Stega will come as soon as I post its lineart. (Not really planning on working on it soon.)

*Practicing with gradient tools to see if I can make polished surfaces look better. I may still play around with the weapon's length/proportion later on in the future.
-Antares

crashlegacy14

I don't get nearly as much practice on fabrics since I actually do more mecha drawing then anything. on the other hand if you're trying to get in more practice, especially quick practice try sketching out people at school when they are sitting around in classes or in the student union.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Seraphic

Where *****s go to die.

...That sure was a lot of work for such a stupid joke. Sorry if it looks bad. The pencil wasn't working well because it's been humid, and I was working on the picture on-and-off between taking final exams.

Okay, I got to stop drawing for a while to work on my writing.
-Antares