Reactor locations?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
AmuroNT1

Reactor locations?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I was wondering, is there a "standarized" location for the fusion reactor in MS? I know the model kits do show some location - for example, the Master Grade Zaku II 2.0 has it in the waist. Just mostly wondering if this holds true across the board or if it varies. Also, it'd be really helpful to know how this relates to the AU series and not just the UC.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Brave Fencer Kirby

Re: Reactor locations?

There doesn't really seem to be a standard, though they're usually near center mass. I seem to recall reactors being in the pelvis/abdomen, torso, backpack, or even the upper legs (though that might have been sub-reactors, rather than the main one).
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Dark Duel

Judging from the MG 2.0, the Zaku II at least has its reactor in the lower torso/pelvis area.
The Cosmic Era also confirms that the X_A-series Gundams (Freedom etc...) have their reactor in the same location.
I don't know about any others though.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Ryujin

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:There doesn't really seem to be a standard, though they're usually near center mass. I seem to recall reactors being in the pelvis/abdomen, torso, backpack, or even the upper legs (though that might have been sub-reactors, rather than the main one).
iirc, the Zeta had them in the upper legs, while the S-Gundam had them in the shoulders (no surprise there) & legs. TMS/TMA types often have the reactors in odd locations due to the physical impositions placed by their transformation sequences.
AmuroNT1

I think I remember once hearing that the Wing Gundams' reactors were located in the back, above and behind the cockpit; however, it's been ages and I can't recall where I heard it or how legit it is.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
toysdream

Zeta (and S Gundam) have reactors in the lower legs, right next to the thrusters. Similar claims have been made for the Dom; for example, Gundam Century says it's "equipped with a total of three thermonuclear reactors (two for its jets and one as a power source)".

Another interesting case is the Zeta II, which has four generators - two in the backpack and one in each leg - and can link them in MA form for higher power output. It's quite likely that other machines of the Methuss line, such as the original Methuss and the ReZEL, have a similar layout.

-- Mark
balofo

toysdream wrote:Zeta (and S Gundam) have reactors in the lower legs, right next to the thrusters. Similar claims have been made for the Dom; for example, Gundam Century says it's "equipped with a total of three thermonuclear reactors (two for its jets and one as a power source)".

Another interesting case is the Zeta II, which has four generators - two in the backpack and one in each leg - and can link them in MA form for higher power output. It's quite likely that other machines of the Methuss line, such as the original Methuss and the ReZEL, have a similar layout.

-- Mark
What's the source for the Zeta II reactors?
toysdream

balofo wrote:What's the source for the Zeta II reactors?
That's as per the Gundam History 2002 Calendar. Definitely the best Gundam calendar of the century so far, and it has detailed technical explanations and Master Grade-style cutaways of the Gundam Mark III, Zeta II, and Penelope.

-- Mark
balofo

That's as per the Gundam History 2002 Calendar. Definitely the best Gundam calendar of the century so far, and it has detailed technical explanations and Master Grade-style cutaways of the Gundam Mark III, Zeta II, and Penelope.
Cool. Anything interesting on the Penelope(funnel missile launcher location, Odysseus Gundam info, are sand barrels those long things top of the shoulder that swivel forward)? Does it says where the Z II stores its beam sabers, or if it has any other weapons besides the mega launcher?
Calubin_175

I have ones on the One Year War units based on the Bee-craft cutout book.

Gundam - two on the core fighter, at the tip of the blue section just before it touches the red block.
Guncannon - same as above
Guntank - core fighter presumably, plus one in the B parts, in the middle of that triangular section surrounded by tracks.
GM - upper part of the core block above the cockpit
Gundam Alex - just above the cockpit, the bottom of the blue upper torso.

Zaku - lower waist
Gouf - as above
Dom - don't know exactly, might be near its cockpit block.
Gogg - unknown
Z'Gok - waist - the section between the pelvis and the cockpit.
Acguy - 2 above the cockpit
Gelgoog - waist, behind or the same area as the cockpit
Gyan - unknown
Zeong - unknown
Kampfer - unknown
Ryujin

While we're on the subject of Minovsky reactors, how compact was 'ultracompact?'
Was there any official information on how small a Minovsky fusion reactor could get, especially after mobile suits were downsized? Take for example the V & V2 Gundams, which featured multiple transforming components.
Sume Gai

toysdream wrote:That's as per the Gundam History 2002 Calendar. Definitely the best Gundam calendar of the century so far, and it has detailed technical explanations and Master Grade-style cutaways of the Gundam Mark III, Zeta II, and Penelope.

-- Mark
As someone who adores the GUndam Mk III (and Z-MSV in general) I'd love to see and hear more.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
AnimeMun

Ryujin wrote:While we're on the subject of Minovsky reactors, how compact was 'ultracompact?'
Was there any official information on how small a Minovsky fusion reactor could get, especially after mobile suits were downsized? Take for example the V & V2 Gundams, which featured multiple transforming components.
Lets see, take the mass of hydrogen, divide by the capacitor resistance, add a dash of Plotonium 238.....and you get Haro.
A supporter of the HARO mafia.

The Cross-Culture Hero.

This should probably be a secret but... MY NAME IS ANIME-MUN!
Cmdr Harabec

balofo wrote:
Cool. Anything interesting on the Penelope(funnel missile launcher location, Odysseus Gundam info, are sand barrels those long things top of the shoulder that swivel forward)? Does it says where the Z II stores its beam sabers, or if it has any other weapons besides the mega launcher?
Quite interested in the Penelope as well. I'd really love to SEE those cutaways in general, but just knowing the armaments would be great. I've always figured the funnel missiles are in the large shoulder boxes and shield boxes (I believe a G-Gen game showed this, is where I got the idea from? Or a fan opening) and the sand barrels are spread all over in the areas that have tiny little openings (shield tips and etc).

Might be getting a bit tangential here, but I've also heard of an Argos unit that was intended to be loaded out with funnels proper, presumably for space use. Any substance to that?
EleSigma

Isn't the Zaku I's reactor right next to the cockpit seat in the torso? I remember seeing images of a MG Zaku I's inner frame and I believe the reactor was visible even when you opened the cockpit hatch?
Dark Duel

I'd have to dismantle my MG Zaku II to be 100% certain, but IIRC it's immediately below the cockpit block, not right next to it.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
EleSigma

Dark Duel wrote:I'd have to dismantle my MG Zaku II to be 100% certain, but IIRC it's immediately below the cockpit block, not right next to it.
Not the Zaku II. The Zaku, the MS-05B.
Dark Duel

Ah, the FIRST Zaku. My bad :oops: ...that actually could be the case. I'll look into it, as time allows.
Or maybe Mark or someone can confirm one way or another