Gundam Characters You wish that Survived>

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
duke4799

Re: Gundam Characters You wish that Survived>

I would have loved to see EW with Trieze still alive. He manipulated so much, sacrificed so many people, and caused the biggest war in that universe's history! It would have been nice for him to see the peace that he was trying to build through such chaos. Would he have let his daughter get away with the crap that "she" pulled? Or would he have quelled Dekum Barton's uprising before it even had a chance?

I have a feeling not much would have changed actually. I can see Trieze thinking along the same lines as Dorothy Catalonia. If the people truly wanted the peace they finally had, they should honorably fight for it.
Until Next Time: Happy Building!
-Joe
Joe's Gunpla

Want to Buy LM Leo or Taurus from Gundam Wing, built or unbuilt! Willing to pay big!
DuelGundam2099

Outside of Corin from Turn A, there is no one I wished survived since they're fictional and all. I kind of hoped that Yazan would get a better death than simply falling out of a mobile suit cockpit (I mean really, a major villain from an earlier series dying that bad? lame).
SlowTurtle

I agree with you on that Dual, I laughted the way Yazan just fellout like tht lol.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Sume Gai

mmm... hard choice... While some of my favorite characters have been killed that doesn't mean I automatically want them back. If their deaths are deserved or well handled tragedy I wouldn't want it written away. This Exempts a lot of the already mentioned favorites.

MSG: Lalah is really the lynch pin to both Char and Amuro's future characters and probably one of the most distinctive/Memorable deaths in the franchise. If I could save anyone from MSG it would probably be Miharu, her sacrifice was sudden and she clearly brought out a very human side to Kai that I wish we'd seen more of. Runner up is Slegger Law who could have been interesting in almost any context within Zeta, an honorable titan or an interesting AEUG operative and more releax big brother figure.

Zeta: Four's death worked well as tragedy for Camille and Rosasmia did the same to a lesser extent. Both were great examples of how nasty the Titans could be and the Federations feelings towards Newtypes. Reccoa, Sarah, Katz, Jerid and Shirocco all rather walked into their fates (perhaps not deserved in all cases) Emma I have to agree would have made a good straight woman to the new team in ZZ though her death was handled so well I'm not sure I want to take that away. Perhaps if Sarah had survived longer (with Katz' death being a sacrifice for her rather than simple recklessness) come to regret her actions and then taken Emma's place but that's a whole other kettle of fish...

ZZ: I don't remember a lot of deaths I would undo here, the elder Moon Moon possibly but she lacks much impact either way. Yazan (who might not be dead) should have been dead from the end of Zeta unless he was going to somehow wind up with the AEUG. the Neo Zeon cyber crazy squad all had good and/or dramatic deaths. Over all I have to say Ple 2 after her turn around, though depending on your feelings about evolve...

CCA: Chan and Astonage; Fact is these two characters dying as they did really didn't affect anything. Astonage survived Zeta and then goes out as an aside one could easily miss I think he deserved more than that. Chan was interesting and upbeat even if she was a disposable love interest for Amuro and exposition foil. I think as a engineer her perspective in Unicorn would have been quite enjoyable.

F91: haven't seen it in too long so no comment

V: Like F91 it has been to long but I recall not caring for the Shrike Team enough to want them back, perhaps their deaths were just too obviously indicated the the half episode spent on the next one in line. I do recall two Zanscare lovers that had a particularly gruesome end though that these one episode characters stick out so much means it was good tragedy.

(I'll discuss AU and OVA stuff later)
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Ceiling_Squid

Sume Gai wrote: V: Like F91 it has been to long but I recall not caring for the Shrike Team enough to want them back, perhaps their deaths were just too obviously indicated the the half episode spent on the next one in line. I do recall two Zanscare lovers that had a particularly gruesome end though that these one episode characters stick out so much means it was good tragedy.

(I'll discuss AU and OVA stuff later)
Oh, you mean Kishowl and Karinga, the two Zanscare envoys! As chance would have it, I actually just finished watching that episode moments ago. Episode 44.

Damn well-executed for simple one-off characters. I thought the writers did the tragedy very well. Though this is more a thread about who you wish survived, rather than well-executed deaths...maybe I need to start up a thread about moving character deaths. We've already got a thread about people who took vindictive pleasure in seeing certain characters die, and now one about characters we wished survived...maybe we need a thread for deaths that made us cry or were particularly visceral.

Because there's a distinct difference between wanting a character to survive and understanding that their death had narrative weight...
Sume Gai

indeed Gundam has always been good at that; giving you a glimpse of a character who sparks your interest and then goes and dies memorably and tragically. in fact we could say that was the whole story behind 0080. Speaking of lets take a look at the UC OVAs and AU series.

08th MS Team: not a lot of deaths to discuss here, Ginius being well off the deep end by those last episodes I can't say I regret seeing his fate. Yuri and Norris while cool old guys were more effective as unwitting Dragons and ultimately doomed to their fates because of where their loyalties lay. I might have switched it up so that Yuri rather than being blown up by Ginias would instead have tag teamed with Norris in a more reasonable and satisfying final battle. (sure ripping your own arm off to beat a guy to death is cool but it didn't feel like Shiro actually earned that victory)

0080: Character Wise I wouldn't change a thing here overall this may be the closest we've come to a perfect UC OVA (the verdict is still out on Unicorn). I would have the Grey Phantom team put up more of a fight than they did but Bernie despite being a tragic and ultimately meaningless death so perfectly hammered home the message of War is Hell I can't see that OVA being nearly as good if he were to survive.

0083: mmm... I must admit this one is hard. I liked it way back when I first watched it but now I realize It's rather a mess in a lot of areas. (out of place performance, failing nuclear physics, A main character who fails near as often as Fa and so many others) Honestly I'd do a whole lot different to the later half of this OVA. The two characters likely to wind up with different outcomes would probably be either Cima or Burning though definitely not both. I know neither could be retroactively worked into Zeta so ignoring the potential of them as AEUG sympathizers I felt Cima entirely got the shaft to come out looking like an irredeemable traitorous bitch despite the fact that she was probably one of the most Human Zeon Characters in this OVA. Burning simply put was a cool old guy that got blown up by dramatic convenience.

Unicorn: nothing yet though I've heard rumors about my favorite character that make me a sad panda...

G: I'd change nothing! NOTHJNG! YOU HEAR! most of villains earned their fates thoroughly and the few victims proved to be incredibly memorable tragedy

W: Again I don't think there's much to change here. Wing was generally light on non-plot related tragedy most of the time. Darlin and Noventa both died to push the plot forward and I genuenly respect those deaths (though the later is mainly memorable because we saw it 30 bajillion times in the recaps) Perhaps one or two of the Gundam scientists but they really wouldn't have a place in the post series wold and their deaths took out one of the bigger villains of the series.

X: Again no deaths here that I would take back, not a lot of character deaths period though perhaps I would draw out the Satryicon bit into a short arc if the series was longer.

Turn A: despite being one of the last Gundam Series I've seen next to 00 I have to say I don't remember any major deaths that I would take back. There was a one episode character who's arm I'll never forget though...

SEED: this series really started playing fast and loose with deaths near the end. The Astray girls as mentioned were a wasted death nothing really gained and we weren't connected enough to care as we probably should have in series. Mu is someone I'd have kept dead because his was probably the most memorable of losses there. Natarle was also well done and memorable though If it came down to it I might have kept her around so that there would be at least one sympathetic Federation character down the line.

SEED Destiny: honestly it's hard to say I generally dislike a lot of the things this series did with character focus and "development" Stella was tragic and all but I found her childishness to simply be frustrating particularly coupled with her willingness to kill people and then freak out at the word "death". Auel and Sting never got enough development for me to Care much. Hiene could have definitely done more though I'm not sure someone so reasonable could have been allowed to last long without breaking the 'story' over his knee. Talia's sacrifice was simply baffling when we know she had a child.

00: Neil's death was probably the best executed in the series taking a chasracter we liked and killing him off in an incredibly memorable way add to that how it developed Tieria and I know I couldn't possibly change it. Some more episodes in the second season to expand things a bit would have been nice but generally I don't think I'd change the deaths. The same goes for the movie

"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
reeoyuy

Sume Gai wrote:Runner up is Slegger Law who could have been interesting in almost any context within Zeta, an honorable titan or an interesting AEUG operative and more releax big brother figure.
And Mirai would choose Sleggar over Bright, and we would never have to deal with Hathaway. That's one good alternate future.
Antares

It's weird; I can't think of any. Most, if not all Gundam-deaths of characters I liked, have served a point in the drama and having them survive would diminish that. Mwu's retcon is the prime example; I want my shows (and the fights therein) to be deadly. Many characters might've had a lot of mileage in them yet, but it's hard to figure out any cases beyond AUs. Case in point was Rau in ShadowCell's fanfic; in that instance I saw the benefit of allowing that character survive.

On second thought, maybe I would've hoped Shams in Stargazer had lived simply because his death was so stupid and pointless.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Ferrus_Manus

Gundam 0083:
- South Burning: He was simply cool, and a good and fair commander.
- Dick Allen (the Powered GM-Pilot): He had a lot of potential, and I would have liked to see more of him.
Gundam SEED Destiny:
- Colonel Todaka (the Captain of the Orb Aircraft Carrier): Todaka was an good and honest men, who cared for the soldiers that served under him. And it was a real tragedy that the boy he rescued years before (Shinn) killed him.
Gundam 00:
- Neil Dylandy: I liked Neil very much, and I was shocked when he died. But at least his death was not in vain, and it helped Tieria to become more human.
- Sergei Smirnov: Same as Burning.

Edit: Please excuse my bad english.
Last edited by Ferrus_Manus on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron in Mind. Iron in Body
ShadowCell

uh

explain please?
Deathzealot

Hmmm interesting thread.

I would first like to get my reactions to some of the previous mentions already.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Zeta-Emma Sheen!!! In fact, I'd even have her survive into Unicorn!
I agree. Perhaps she would become the Captain of the Nahel Argama in Unicorn or even just the MS Commander of the ship. It would give the us the audience a good connection to Zeta. Similar to how Millais becomes Captain of the Diva in the AGE Second Generation.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:SEED-I would actually like Flay to have survived so that they could go through with that supposed subplot where she would be pregnant. I wonder what that would do for Kira? :) Also, Natarle and maybe just one of the Astray girls. There could be a subplot with how that girl is dealing with the death of her friends.
I agree with this as well. I like the idea of one of the Trio actually managing to live through the series, maybe Juri since she was developed a bit more then the others thanks to her appearances in the Astray Manga. It would be an interesting sub-plot on how she deals with the deaths of her team-mates. I could even see her in Athrun's role in early Destiny, being Cagalli's bodyguard. Though she wouldn't be part of one my more favorite scenes in Destiny where Athrun, Yzak, and Dearka all in ZAKUs manage to thrash the Extended Trio. For someone who is a big fan of MP Machines taking on Gundams and winning it was one of the best scenes. /cough/

Moving on, those are the only reactions that I have for the moment may come back and throw in a few more. Now onto my own list which hopefully is different from anyone elses...

Gundam SEED

Captain Sutherland -

I know. I know. "WTF Why?" Right. Well hear me out. I have read the awesome fanfics from CSS.Stravag over at FFN and he has Sutherland surviving and I actually agree with his reason. Destiny needed a good supporting and experienced Alliance Admiral beside Neo. Sutherland would be the prefect person for it. Granted I still hate him, though I hate him as a Villain character and Destiny needed a decent Alliance Villain that was outside of LOGOS.

Gundam Wing

Mercenary Captain from Trowa "No-Name" Section of the Episode Zero Manga. I would have liked if he had survived and developed more surviving till the series itself becoming Trowa's mentor like figure.

I believe that is it for now. I shall see about adding a few more later.
Amion

I would like to see Rou Le Crouset survive to Destiny. I always liked his character, and it was one that could have caused a whole heck of a lot of chaos. He appears in Durandel's flashback chess games that he might as well have been alive.

For Zeta Gundam: Emma Sheen. I think its unanimous that she was an awesome character. I would love to have seen her live on until Unicorn, or better yet, be one of those people in Gundam ( like Bright) who live on through every story without dying. Not everyone dies in war, so why not let Emma live on as an old veteran pilot for Bright. The only problem with this is that she received one of my favorite death scenes in Gundam, and I don't want that tampered with.

I would also like to have seen Sarah survive, because I thought she had a descent personality that could have been developed more, especially if she outlived Scirocco.

Victory Gundam: Fuala Griffon. Yes, she actually turns out to be alive near the end of the series, but she's practically not the same character there. I wish we could have seen more of her throughout the series, and even let her live until the grand finale, instead of truely dying a few episodes before. Over all, besides Yazan from Zeta, Fuala is my favorite antagonist ace pilot from UC.

As far as the alternate universes, no one I can think of.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
South Burning

The first Gundam character I wish had survived was South Burning, which is why I use his name in this forum. It seemed as though no one made any effort to even make certain that he actually died. They just let him float away into the abyss with barely a ho hum. I know someone like Burning; a P-51 pilot from WWII named George Black who owns my favorite hobby shop and is great to talk with. Here's to real heroes like George and to characters like South Burning who bring to mind the real heroes of life.
Red Comet90

Its going to seem like no surprise, but I really think Haman shouldn't have died or at the very least if she died she should have been killed off. Her death was incredibly pointless. She ended her own life and it seemed like an anti-climactic way to end things. It would have been interesting had she survived into CCA.

Another character I wish never would have died was Lockon. He was a great character and incredibly likable. He died trying to kill Ali and didn't even kill him in the process. Another waste of a death.

I also wish Mwu..oh wait never mind. Haha.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
HalfDemonInuyasha

Late arrival...so now everyone took what I would've said for everyone I wanted!!!! *cries* lol

I guess I'll just reiterate one with Yurin, being the most recent. Aside from just being so adorable, as mentioned, her death just felt like nothing more than trying to dramatize things unnecessarily. I think things could have progressed in a similar fashion without her having to die.

She and Flit also simply just looked so much better together. Unlike ones like Kamille and Four and such (where it's more "Newtype understanding" and not quite "romance" really), I could really feel the genuine affection between Flit and Yurin with their time together on the colony and hardly ever saw that with Emily. Even in the 2nd arc, I just don't really feel anything between her and Flit, despite being married with kids.

Even when the whole X-Rounder bit began coming out, it's not like we magically had Flit and Yurin communicating and understanding eachother through it.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Arbiter GUNDAM

Spoiler
I was not expecting Grodek to die like he did. So here's to you DAT BEARD, and the unrealized hope of a much more epic end.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Amion

Spoiler
Yes, Grodek did deserve better, talk about such a waste of one of the best characters in AGE so far. Truly would have been nice if he had died in battle
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
celestia95

Gundam 00:
Sergei Smirnov: It would have been nice to see him live and even fully adopt Soma/Marie. As well I would have liked to see him workout his differences with Andrei.

Hong Long: I liked his character because he was so loyal to his sister that he died for her. I also liked how he was very calm.

Graham Aker: Though it annoyed me that he kept on trying to fight with Setsuna and would always leave the battle, he proved himself in the movie when he helps Setsuna. It would have been nice to see Graham and Setsuna talk outside of their mechas.

Gundam Seed:
Natarle Badgiruel: I liked how she was so good with her tactics like the battle near the Mendel Colony. As well she sacrificed so much in the end and it saddens me that Murrue will never know how much she actually did.

Fllay Allstar: Though I hated her in the beginning, she changed so much in the end. It would be interesting to see Kira rescue her from her lifepod at the Battle of the Mendel Colony when she was information on the N-jammer cancelers. I'd love to see how Fllay would react to seeing Lacus, perhaps she'd accept her. Then I'd want to see who Kira picks, Lacus or Fllay as his love.

Rau Le Creuset: Sure he was insane but he was just angry that he was the flawed clone of Al Da Flaga. What he said about humanity was pretty accurate. Sure he caused a lot of chaos like telling Blue Cosmos where Operation Spitbreak's real target is, giving the information on N-jammer cancelers to the EA and rigging GENESIS so that when Jachin Due is destroyed, GENESIS will fire at Earth. Still it would interesting to see him live and perhaps have Kira dead instead.

Gundam Seed Destiny:
Stella Loussier: She had a great impact on Shinn, was finally got to see underneath his anger, he's a great guy who risked his life to return her to the EA. Shinn was suppose to get executed for beating up fellow soldiers, taking his Gundam without permission and then meeting with the enemy. I would have liked that when Stella's cockpit was open, Shinn could quickly rescue her. Then he could get her treated by the Chairman to get her in a stable condition. Shinn and Stella could then join forces!

Rey Za Burrel: I felt so sorry for him because he was so manipulated by the man who raised him, Chairman Durandal. I liked how he was very calm and polite unlike Shinn who will just go up to the ORB representative, Cagalli and insult her, her father and her nation.
Rey only wanted to give others a better life because sadly he didn't have one, he wanted to live a long life but because of him having shortened telomeres, he knew he wouldn't live long.

To all, I haven't watched all the Gundam Series so that's why I haven't mentioned a lot more.
teslashark

to celestia95 on Rau:
I actually want to see him being alive after everyone witness the whole mess he crezated, just to give this mathole some humiliation.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Yazan Gable

I wish that Bright Noa survived.

Not that he died in battle, but that he beat death. To live on to truly be The Eternal Captain, riding on a Pegasus slapping children who won't adhere to their responsibilities and filling the universe with Men of Destiny. This way, the peace that Char and Amuro envisioned would come to fruition.

As for a character that died on-screen, I'd go with Odelo. Nothing gave the indication that he was going to die until Katejina smacked him around over feeling sick from Shakti's wish of goodwill. He, and Francesca O'Hara, who had such a cruel death at Katejina's hands thinking that Ms. Complete Monster might switch sides, taking a MPC to the cockpit for her sweet idealism.
I'm going to violate you.