Ep. 096 - The Gundamn Robots, John!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 096 - The Gundamn Robots, John!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 096 - "The Gundamn Robots, John!"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 153 min., 54 sec. (2:33:54) - 70.5 MB

Special Guest Host: Scott Richardson (1st Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:24:17

02. I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:24:17 - 0:25:24 (Duration: 0:01:07)

03. Be a Part of the "Gundamn! @ MAHQ Episode 100 Listener Participation Project"!
Runtime: 0:25:24 - 0:26:40 (Duration: 0:01:16)

04. 1st Segment: "Time of Eve" (ONA & Movie, 2008-2010)
Runtime: 0:26:40 - 1:07:09 (Duration: 0:40:29)

05. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:07:09 - 1:07:52 (Duration: 0:00:43)

06. Be a Part of "Gundam: Rise From the Ashes"! (Special Manga Project by Eric Keith & Mike Fonteccio)
Runtime: 1:07:52 - 1:10:24 (Duration: 0:02:32)

07. 2nd Segment: "The Gundamn Mailbag Quarterly Explosion!"
Runtime: 1:10:24 - 2:26:49 (Duration: 1:16:25)

08. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:26:49 - 2:27:40 (Duration: 0:00:51)

09. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:27:40 - 2:28:40 (Duration: 0:01:00)

10. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!/Soul Bro's Shoutouts!"
Runtime: 2:28:40 - 2:33:54 (Duration: 0:05:14)

Joined by MAHQ staff member Scott Richardson, we delve into an Original Net Animation series he reviewed for the site, "Time of Eve"! Then, an overloaded mailbag awaits as we answer your voicemails & questions! Many thanks to Scott for joining us and make sure to check out his reviews for "Time of Eve" at MAHQ.net!

Listen up, gang! We need your help! In our upcoming 100th episode, we would like to feature our listeners in two special segments! The first will be about "Your Favorite Gundamn Moment" and the other will be about "$h!t Gundamn Listeners Say"! Click the link below for more information on how to submit to the project:

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Episode 100 Listener Participation Project

Want to ask us a question that could be played during a future episode? Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Peep these Links also!:
- Chaos Theater: Ep. 020 - Star Trek: The Next Generation (Mechatalk Thread)
- Chaos Theater: Ep. 021 - Magic: The Gathering (Mechatalk Thread)
- Laplace's Box: Ep. 006 - Figure Customization (Mechatalk Thread)

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening & Happy New Year!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - Facebook group - Spill - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 096 - The Gundamn Robots, John!

So just finished listening to the episode.
Time of Eve sounds kind of interesting, but don't think I will look in to it.
I hope Scott shows up for the Nadesico episode and has a show down with Peter though.

Also Mr Guanhce master of cop outs you have now made my Mu made promise invalid :P
My point was to put Soul Bro down on his Lion Voltron nostalgia :P

So now I will put you down on small points of you being wrong on Transformers.
Even tough I aapologised for being wrong on the Voltron assumption.

Firstly those toys are known as Microman and Diaclone.
Secondly the japanese name for Cybertron s Seibertron.
Third it's "Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers" to be technical

In the original Transformers and Japanese exclusive series, the concept of Sparks didn't come around until Beast Wars.
It can be explained in some rare cases their bodies can be destroyed but the spark still survives.

We saw Waspinator and Tarantulas get blown apart numerous times yet they lived.
Sometimes the damage to the spark is the bigger factor as shown by Dinobot usually a Transformer enters statsis lock when critically damaged.
Dinobot over rode it and then the damage to his body coupled with that his Spark joined the Matrix where all are one.

Simillarly Rampage dies due to the damage done to his spark from Raw Energon Depth Charge.

Another example from Armada Smokescreen almost dies in the show, but his spark survives the damage his body takes and he gets rebuilt.

So I just want to put that out there.
Beast Wars does help sort of recton some of the terminology and explains things more.

But yeah Headmaster is rough Masterforce is FAR better despite it's difference in depiction.
I mean hell when Optimus die Rodimus takes off and leaves and Ultra Magnus eventually bites it leading Metroplex to lead the Autobots.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Administrator

How can you correct me when nothing I said was wrong? I said both Cybertron and Seibertron, and of course I know which is the Japanese name. And I didn't say the full Japanese name of the series, so sue me. :)
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

I believe you made it sound like Sabertron. :P
So not quite right for the second way if your going to pronounce the Japanese name way there boss.

Not saying you got it wrong for Cybertron :P
Gundam420

That is a tough question. I'd pick the Re-Zel Commander Type, and fly circles around Strike Freedom. Also I'd take a Denan Zon and fire at his cockpit with the lance, ensuring he won't survive.
Last edited by Gundam420 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:I believe you made it sound like Sabertron. :P
So not quite right for the second way if your going to pronounce the Japanese name way there boss.

I don't care how the Japanese pronounce it because it's not a Japanese word.
Wingnut

Neo, use the silver SUMO. Unnamed grunts used it so it should be free from the main character clause. It comes with the I-Field barrier which will allow you to give the finger to the beam spam and I'd bet that the heat fan is powerful enough to get past the phase shift armor if you get going fast enough with the optional flight skirt.

If that doesn't count, I'm with Chris. Get something with a long range beam rifle and snipe a bitch after activating some kind of distraction to get him to stop like Bernie did.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Mu La Flaga

Chris wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:I believe you made it sound like Sabertron. :P

I don't care how the Japanese pronounce it because it's not a Japanese word.
I never get why they kept refering to some names by Japanese ones.
Like Convoy seemed like they just took that from the Diaclone line name and put it on him instead of Optimus Prime.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I watched Time of Eve on Crunchyroll. (Crunchyroll sucks, by the way.) I found the show to be fairly okay, if on the boring side. Most of the problems/mystery/intrigue seemed to be forced, and oftentimes, not that much of a problem. Without much character development, the two main human characters just seemed kinda whiny and melodramatic. I don't think I really enjoyed the show until the last episode. I had been looking forward to seeing Time of Eve ever since I first heard about it in production. Oh well. I'm glad the hosts seemed to enjoy it more than I did.

I think if I had to fight the Strike Freedom, I'd use a Virgo II with its 8 planet defensers, plus rifle and sabers. Or maybe a MP Qubeley.

I think the whole gaming review industry is corrupt and unreliable. Even the game review site you guys plug only covered major/mainstream titles the last time I visited. (Hopefully it's different now.) I've often thought that many games need different types of reviews, such as a novice review, a general/incoming review, and an expert review. Like, for instance, you would need a casual gamer or someone unfamiliar with a game type or franchise to do one review, and then add the opinion of someone who has mastered the game, or maybe a veteran of the franchise who can rate the game comparatively to its predecessors.

edit: Also, I really enjoyed the alternate mission in GvsZG where you got to trample all over the White Base with the Big Zam at New Yark. :3
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Arbiter GUNDAM

Someone REALLY needs to post a video of Kira Yamato getting Brightslapped by Bright.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

If I had to fight Strike Freedom I would pick that MPed version of the Forbidden.
Forbidden Vortex, since it aint a mian suit and it was Mass Produced actually :P

And it has those Panzer shields, pretty handy by sound of it.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Speaking of George Lucas and revisionist history: Darth Maul Didn't Die.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
kayone73

My thoughts on Headmasters: It's really not a good show by any stretch of the imagination. Poor stories, poor writing, rough animation at best.

But for G1 characters fans who want to see as many toy characters as possible on the screen at any given time, this show is a total fan wankfest. Especially when you get to see the various gestalt combiners (from Devastor, to Predaking) constantly appear, combine, fight, fall apart, recombine, fight again, etc... and all manner of toy characters who never got to see animated form in the US transformers series.

And yep, that's about the only positive thing about Headmasters. Scorponok/Zarak was so so as a head villain and both seibertron and destron headmasters were so-so characters.

Masterforce was a much better series in many ways, despite the annoying kids/headmaster junior characters. It did start to become yuusha like, but Transformers Victory is pretty indistinguishable from most of the Braves series to come afterwards. Still, Star Sabre and Victory Leo were probably my favorite Autobot characters from the JP G1 series.
Mu La Flaga

The Masterforce Headmaster JRs weren't that bad actually they usually contributed to the fights unlike some of the previous kids.

And yeah Masterforce is probably the best entry and the animation is a tad better then Headmasters.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flame-X

I'm gonna check out "Time of Eve" now. :o
Mr Bushido

I'd use a GN-X IV and just Trans-Am that bastard Kira's ass.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Wingnut wrote:Neo, use the silver SUMO. Unnamed grunts used it so it should be free from the main character clause. It comes with the I-Field barrier which will allow you to give the finger to the beam spam and I'd bet that the heat fan is powerful enough to get past the phase shift armor if you get going fast enough with the optional flight skirt.
Thanks for the suggestion, I can see myself as one of Harry's squad.
Mr Bushido wrote:I'd use a GN-X IV and just Trans-Am that bastard Kira's ass.
It's a good thing Kira is a coordinator and not an ewok. Well, because you know. :lol:
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
hotlimit

Great episode, I saw the first ep of Time of Eve on Crunchyroll, but I can't watch the rest because I wasted my free trial on some crap that was recommended to me last year.

@SoulBro: I'm pretty sure those weren't Gundam references in Tekken, but I always thought Gato from Stardust Memory and Hyo from Rival Schools were the same dude, hahaha.
Seraphic wrote:Like, for instance, you would need a casual gamer or someone unfamiliar with a game type or franchise to do one review, and then add the opinion of someone who has mastered the game, or maybe a veteran of the franchise who can rate the game comparatively to its predecessors.3
Now there's an idea, but you'd have to change the 'casual gamer' person every once in a while - eventually they would become a 'real' gamer if they were reviewing games every week!
Chris
Administrator

Seraphic wrote:I've often thought that many games need different types of reviews, such as a novice review, a general/incoming review, and an expert review. Like, for instance, you would need a casual gamer or someone unfamiliar with a game type or franchise to do one review, and then add the opinion of someone who has mastered the game, or maybe a veteran of the franchise who can rate the game comparatively to its predecessors.
I can't imagine that any game site would do this, and if I ran one I certainly wouldn't. Why? What you propose requires too much time and people for the review of any given game. Why have three people playing the same game when during the same time you can have them play three separate games and get three reviews. Also, I'm not sure having a "novice" review would be helpful, especially for an established franchise. If a novice reviews a game from an established franchise like Elder Scrolls, Halo or Mass Effect, woe be unto them if they accidentally say something wrong that any "true" fan would know not to say, and thus set off massive trolling.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I do agree with both of you on the 'novice reviews'. I think we can tell right away from the looks of a game what type of audience it is targeting, so that type of review may largely be unwanted.

However, I still insist that reviews for every game and every franchise be done by qualified gamers who are familiar with what they are doing. I have seen some horribly atrocious reviews out there by professionals who never even took the time to figure out how to play a game properly.

And I still think that 'expert' reviews are necessary for franchise fans and for the developers as well. Developers put much, much more work into a game than is even mentioned in a normal review. Thus, I think it is important for the nuanced mechanics of a game to be discussed publicly and with the fans and developers so we can know exactly what is being done well, what has interesting applications and implications, and what can be improved.

For instance, a game like FF-X might get lots of hype and strong reviews at first, but some people who play the game out to fruition, doing all the subquests and maxing out the characters would find a lot of flaws and tedium. For instance, that stupid sphere leveling board just made for more tedious grinding, and could potentially make most of your party members obsolete and destroy whatever variety the game could have provided.

I don't know. It's not extremely economical, but I don't feel that the industry should be as cut-and-dry as we are forcing it to be. Maybe with this, games could be viewed less as a pass-time you spent $60 on and more as a major project that a group of people had spent years of their lives creating for others to experience.

Thanks for your input.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel