The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk III

A voice actress should be viewed independantly from any characters they voice (poor Kenichi Suzumura gets spat at for voicing Shinn). By the same token, even if the voice is annoying doesn't necessarily mean the character will be as well.

Also I have no idea who the 2nd person you're talking about is.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
DuelGundam2099

A voice actress should be viewed independantly from any characters they voice (poor Kenichi Suzumura gets spat at for voicing Shinn).
I do that too, but when you learn something like that for an upcoming major part of a series you are trying to enjoy, it's only natural that you might get some weird vibes.
Also I have no idea who the 2nd person you're talking about is.
You know who it is, Mr. Lolicon Expert; you know who.
Destiny_Gundam

"Diabetic inducing pedo-trash" is a bit too broad a description and could apply to any number of the girls in that show and outside it.

Anyways, Arisa has Koshimizu doing her "friendly, jovial" voice where as with Kallen she was doing her "gruff, tough girl" voice. They are different character types.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Okay DuelGundam, we get it. You dislike female characters in anime for really irrational reasons. Can we move on now?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Destiny_Gundam

His specific issue is just with Kallen.

Either way Arisa is not Kallen. I know I started this by saying she was voiced by Kallen but that's because most people wouldn't be familiar with a VA's name, just their past roles.
ShadowCell

okay well that conversation is done now SO HOW ABOUT THAT GIANT ROBOT HUH
DuelGundam2099

Anyone else noticed that the command type dorando has a new version of the knuckle bomber? :lol:
Destiny_Gundam

Take it to the mecha thread! :P

A little detail I noticed: Arisa's hair is normally covering an eye but when she's in her pilot suit it's actually pushed out of the way. In other shows hair like that usual stays in place making one wonder "How do they fight with their hair in their face?"

Speaking of VAs, Max is voiced by Uso, making him the second returning main Gundam VA after Zeheart/Tieria.
ShadowCell

and how 'bout that Millais, makin' with the disciplinary action
Destiny_Gundam

It's clear Asemu is trying way too hard to live up to Flit's legacy so this probably won't be the only time he disobeys orders for the sake of doing everything himself. Woolf or Millais should sit him down and tell him about how Flit wasn't always that great.
mobiusdiablo

Okay, FIRST OFF: Dique got some awesome points during the timeskip - he sounds badass, he's the Vargas (but younger), and with a last name like GUNHALE... yeah. 'Drace' has nothing on that. I recommend this Max kid as Soulbro's man for G2. Getting all nervous then shooting and cheering that the DODS rifle shot hit and did nothing, and then causing Arisa to take shots because of said cheering. Yeah. Useless!

Second, for all the Romary haters out there (I'm gonna call it how I see it), I do like how she's developing, whereas Emily seemed more of the outgoing type when she was the kid, she seems more like the normal, possibly shyer one. And given how much time was skipped in these episodes, she's done a bit of growing for the time she was shown. (I think it was a year or more since ep. 16 to this one?) Also like how she's actually on the bridge doing something, whereas Emily was just sitting in her room.

Sounds like Woolf got more serious from the timeskip and is now the drill sergeant/commander from hell, or whatever his rank is. I have the distinct feeling he's gonna have to be a little rougher on Asemu than he was on Flit in the future, thanks to that stupid stunt he pulled. Asemu thinks he's friggin Maverick from Top Gun. Nah, but seriously, I did like how they came down on him. At least we don't have to worry about Woolf trying to take out the Gundam again (though he may have a chronic disorder of flirting with bridge bunnies). Speaking of which, I do like how we still have the AGE-1 around, and it's supposedly gonna be upgraded to not rely on the AGE System. Well we know that Flit's keeping that one then.

I do have a little concern with Asemu though; not only is he older than Flit was when he was put on the Diva by at least three years, Asemu also was in military training, so shouldn't he technically know better than to do the Top Gun/Kira Yamato 'fly-right-up-to-the-bridge' thing? I do understand that they need some way to show that he's not the perfect pilot, but that just irks me a little in hindsight.

Oh, and LOLed at that apparently Chris's wish was granted and in over 25 years, the Diva hasn't changed from Assault Landing/White Base mode. Okay, I know the guys making the show are nuts for the UC stuff, and warships IRL can easily serve for 25 years, so I wanna see a Argama configuration!

So, we have the Diva heading for Big Ring and then to Earth (I suppose we may recieve a 'Son I Am Disappoint' if they timeskip the rest of the voyage or if Flit talks to Asemu before the next battle?), and we have everyone's favorite psycho kid all grown up! And it seems that he STILL hurts from the beating he got from Ninja Gundam. I'm excited! Who's with me?!

All in all, I am really liking this arc. Yeah, they took three episodes at the beginning to develop relationships and what not, but given they're now on the Diva and have their little errand run, I don't see them having another character-intensive or breather episode in the near future. I don't read the episode summaries or what not, I just watch them how they come, so that's my opinion.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Wingnut

ShadowCell wrote:and how 'bout that Millais, makin' with the disciplinary action
No surprise no matter how good Asemu did. Even James T. Kirk still got smacked with the disobeying orders rule after saving the planet from the talking-to-whales black space cigar.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Heecarl_Reez

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Speaking of VAs, Max is voiced by Uso, making him the second returning main Gundam VA after Zeheart/Tieria.
Yes! I was pleasantly surprised when I hear his voice.

After hearing Age-1 fate, I can hope for father/son team-up later right??? Also quite nice debut for Age-2, and dat Age-2/gen 2 theme is glorious. can't wait for the OST. :)
Compass

Spoiler
That double kill was a cool stunt, but he's going to get some poor sap killed that way.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
zerogradius

Ep 19 was a breath of fresh air compared to the last two. The structure and pacing of this ep was way better than the previous episode's take over of Tordia that never happened. We got to see Millais and the Diva again, with her as captain this time (couldn't the captain's uniform look different than the others, at least), and there was also the return of Woolf to combat, in what I regard as his true reintroduction to Age(what happened in ep 18 should be forgotten). We got to see 3 new MS pilots, and the one who most caught my attention was Arisa. I found her upbeat, tomboyish attitude to be refreshing, and is far from annoying. Frankly, I think that she and Millais are the last hope for female characters in this current arc. Her first battle did not go so well, but she's a rookie and that's to be expected. I just hope that her piloting improves and that she is not made into some helpless twit who needs Asem to come save her all the time. The way this arc has treated its female cast, I would not be surprised. The introduction of the Age-2 was nice as well as the battle that followed. Asem's refusal to follow Millais' orders might be an issue that arises again, and hopefully won't end in catastrophe as it almost did in this ep. All in all, this was the best ep in this arc so far, and the segue into the next ep, with Desil's reemergence, has me bursting with anticipation

There are a couple missteps, though. I don't understand why the Federation's most powerful ship is being defended by three rookies, a redhead with some experience, and an ace. They didn't have a MS team on board already? Also, the color sheme of the Adeles and the Genoace II are too close. In a fast paced battle, it's hard to tell which is which. Romary, another upstart, gets a job on the Diva as her first post, just like that? A bit convenient, isn't it. Lastly, Asem's a really good pilot, almost too good. He has never fought in space but you would not know that from this ep, and even though the G Strider is much faster than anything he has ever piloted, he handled it like a dream. The least they could have done to make it more realistic was to emulate the problems Zechs had with the Tallgeese on Asem and the Age-2. The kid's too good too soon, and he has not even tapped into his X rounder abilities yet.
Shinji_Shinigami

There are a couple missteps, though. I don't understand why the Federation's most powerful ship is being defended by three rookies, a redhead with some experience, and an ace. They didn't have a MS team on board already? Also, the color sheme of the Adeles and the Genoace II are too close.
Good question, plus, why is the guy with the most experience getting the most outdated mobile suit? I mean okay it's like a gundam illnes that most of the main ships are chronically underequipped with normal Mobile suits. (except unicorn as one of the more recent gundam shows) But for being an flagship wouldn't they at least not all have adeles? And i am pretty shure the Diva could hold more than five suits.

I think the guy with the lamest Mobile suit will be the first to die :P
DuelGundam2099

^Largan lived, didn't he? So probably not.
reeoyuy

Shinji_Shinigami wrote:
Good question, plus, why is the guy with the most experience getting the most outdated mobile suit? I mean okay it's like a gundam illnes that most of the main ships are chronically underequipped with normal Mobile suits. (except unicorn as one of the more recent gundam shows) But for being an flagship wouldn't they at least not all have adeles? And i am pretty shure the Diva could hold more than five suits.

I think the guy with the lamest Mobile suit will be the first to die :P
In Memories of Sid sidestory manga, Largan is seen leading a pack of Adeles but somehow he still used Genoace II. Maybe he just want to. Like Obright/Albright, he is experienced and not a rookie like Max and Alisa so maybe he chose to stick with more familiar unit than newer one.

As for this week's episode, feels really fresh with new music and I didn't expect the preview music to change. Pleasant surprise, almost like Asemu now claiming this generation as his own. Especially since he's no longer borrowing his dad's Gundam.
Compass

Perhaps the Adele/Genoace II situation is similar to the F-8 Crusader/F-4 Phantom II from the Vietnam War.

Both vehicles have their advantages and disadvantages.

The Genoace II might not be the shiniest piece on the lot, but it and its predecessor has been tested. Consider its survivability record. Largan got his original Genoace suit beaten to pieces, but he managed to walk away from most of them. The red Genoace II in the opener of the 2nd arc had the same survivability after being stomped on by two Dorados.

Maybe it's just the red paint, though.

I also got a flashback to SEED when
Spoiler
Asem flew in front of the bridge. Cue METEOR.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
mobiusdiablo

zerogradius wrote:Romary, another upstart, gets a job on the Diva as her first post, just like that? A bit convenient, isn't it.
Well that's how the story would normally play out, wouldn't it? I mean, they're not going to introduce her and essentially make it blaringly obvious that she's Asemu's future spouse, only to have her shuttled off somewhere else.
zerogradius wrote:Lastly, Asem's a really good pilot, almost too good. He has never fought in space but you would not know that from this ep, and even though the G Strider is much faster than anything he has ever piloted, he handled it like a dream. The least they could have done to make it more realistic was to emulate the problems Zechs had with the Tallgeese on Asem and the Age-2. The kid's too good too soon, and he has not even tapped into his X rounder abilities yet.
I'd say it's less of him having too much skill and more of them not showing what he went through. They literally timeskipped all his stay at the military academy and therefore his training. Also, the AGE-2 had Asemu's data from the AGE-1, so while there might've been a bit too little difficulty, it's not like he's hopping into a Gundam type for the first time. Add to that you got to take the 'mid-season upgrade' factor into effect; they're not gonna debut the AGE-2 and have it suck. Not to mention that there's going to be a foe or situation that requires the use of the Double Bullet variant. We'll see how good he is once he starts throwing down with other aces like Zehart and Desil
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!