Research: Regenerate Gundam's armaments

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
balofo

Research: Regenerate Gundam's armaments

I was looking through the jp wiki profiles for the SEED Gundams and came across the Regenerate's page claiming it has 2 x MMI-GAU2 "Picus" 76mm CIWS, same as the Freedom/Justice/Testament. I remembered i had some lineart with the original katakana notes from the designer so tried to confirm it, but found the Regenerate is supposed to have even more weapons according to said lineart notes, but these weapons never make into the official armaments lists.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/xastray04.jpg/

Top middle B/W pic: depicts the arm/beam saber but also says the 2 holes under the monoeyes as a Beam something(can't read kanji, perhaps it's cannon)
Bottom left B/W pic: depicts the head and crotch, but also says the two holes under the monoeyes as vulcans and the nose as a Beam, therefore the crotch piece in MS mode also has a beam weapon and 2 vulcans(white nose).
Bottom middle pic: depicts the cockpit and that the core unit arms can carry its beam rifle.

So the Regenerate's armament list should be something like this:

-1x Long Beam Rifle(I don't know where the claim of the current MAHQ profile that it's a hyper impulse beam cannon comes from)
-4x Beam sabers, one in each limb(I also don't know where the claim of the current MAHQ profile and jp wiki that it's a MA-X200 type beam sword, same as Meteor unit ones, comes from)
-8x Beam cannons(?), 2 in each limb.
-2X Beam cannons(?), one in each white nose things, mainly to be operated in MA mode cruise mode.
-4x Vulcans, 2 on on head and 2 on crotch, operable mainly in MA cruise mode. Also needs confirmation on the type.

That's quite an arsenal and fits a nuclear powered MS. I'd like someone to confirm the kanji of the beam cannon on the limbs, if possible(might be illegible). I don't know of any good Regenerate profile, but I think the 2009 MS Encyclopedia might have one. The astray R manga doesn't depict any of these weapons, or I couldn't catch any because of the atrocious art style.

*EDIT: just checked g gen portable on a emu, it only has the beam saber and beam rifle as attacks :( Emu was so shitty I couldn't even read the names of the weapons.
bilbros

Re: Research: Regenerate Gundam's armaments

Yes, the middle and bottom-left black-and-white pictures depicts one limb and the core unit in crusing form, respectively Both of them report the indication of a beam cannon (actually in the first the indication says "beam" + 2 very small and hardly readable kanji, whereas in the saecond case it says "beam" only), but I cannot say more...
balofo

Thanks bilbros, sadly they will never incorporate this info in games/profiles. Since the Regenerate only appears in the Astray R manga and nowhere else we'll never see it at all its glory :(
AmuroNT1

The one at the front might be "beam emitter", referring to the swords.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

AmuroNT1 wrote:The one at the front might be "beam emitter", referring to the swords.
Thanks, I guessed as much, same style as Aegis ones
hitokirigarou

bilbros wrote:(actually in the first the indication says "beam" + 2 very small and hardly readable kanji, whereas in the saecond case it says "beam" only)
The kanji looks like "砲", meaning gun or cannon. Overall, the Regenerate has 14 beam guns: 2 on each side of the mono-eye unit on the limbs; 1 on each limb's "foot"; 1 on the upper torso mono-eye unit; and 1 on the front skirt mono-eye unit.

The Regenerate also has 2 missiles or missile launchers. They are on the upper torso mono-eye unit, located on either side of the MS head, when the Regenerate is in MA cruise mode.
balofo

hitokirigarou wrote:he kanji looks like "砲", meaning gun or cannon. Overall, the Regenerate has 14 beam guns: 2 on each side of the mono-eye unit on the limbs; 1 on each limb's "foot"; 1 on the upper torso mono-eye unit; and 1 on the front skirt mono-eye unit.

The Regenerate also has 2 missiles or missile launchers. They are on the upper torso mono-eye unit, located on either side of the MS head, when the Regenerate is in MA cruise mode.
Thanks for the translation! You mean the place from where the beam sabers are generated also counts as a beam gun, right? I don't think in Seed we have seen any beam weapon where the same barrel/hole/muzzle/whatever doubles as beam saber/rifle(I think Legend's DRAGOONS spikes function only as beam spikes, no beam gun). The beam gun(I think it's more appropriate than cannon here) count is still at 10.

Also nice catch on the missile launchers. This should've been Athrun's upgrade :D .
DeltasTaii

Huh. Legend's large DRAGOONs have the same nozzle layout as Providence's, but from checking the GundamInfo footage it does seem the front set are only used for the spikes. Even in the fire and move sequence copped from Providence, it only fires 5 beams from them instead of 9. There's also a rather embarrassing sequence where it reenacts Providence's geometric firing pattern where they correctly reduce the number of beams, but give Legend an extra large DRAGOON to match the middle of the shot and two of the small DRAGOONs beside it have inexplicably had their beams removed as well.

That puts Legend's DRAGOON system at a huge apparent firepower disadvantage, with only 26 beam guns to 43.
hitokirigarou

balofo wrote:*EDIT: just checked g gen portable on a emu, it only has the beam saber and beam rifle as attacks :( Emu was so ZOINKS I couldn't even read the names of the weapons.
Its attacks are beam saber and long beam rifle.
balofo wrote:You mean the place from where the beam sabers are generated also counts as a beam gun, right?
The beam sabers' emitters look like they are in the heels of MA mode's feet. The beam gun ports are on the white "feet".
balofo wrote:The beam gun(I think it's more appropriate than cannon here) count is still at 10..
It has 14 beam guns.

In the bottom left B&W lineart, the beam guns are located in front of the mono-eye units. In the top middle B&W lineart, as mentioned above, each "foot" has a beam gun on it. In the same picture, there is a beam gun on the side of the limb/knee mono-eye units. The top and bottom right B&W lineart show that there is a corresponding beam gun on the other side.

The color lineart and official scratch-built model also show that there are 2 beam guns on the limb/knee mono-eye units. However, the Regenerate's color scheme makes them difficult to see.
balofo

Now I see it, in the bottom right picture the beam appears to come from under the white feet(although there's no lineart notes pointing this out), still it all rests on that kanji describing the white feet nozzle, as AmuroNT1 pointed out it could be emmiter. Looking at the Astray R manga, in MS when using the feet beam sabers they just appear to be emitted from the white nozzle(no ankle here to emit). I keep my count at 10 beam guns :D
AmuroNT1

And then on top of everything else, Super Robot Wars decided to carry the Aegis connection to its logical conclusion and give it a Scylla cannon, which to the best of my knowledge is completely unsupported by anything official.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

AmuroNT1 wrote:And then on top of everything else, Super Robot Wars decided to carry the Aegis connection to its logical conclusion and give it a Scylla cannon, which to the best of my knowledge is completely unsupported by anything official.
Yeah, that was very stupid of them, almost as bad as the G Gen games animation mistakes
hitokirigarou

balofo wrote:still it all rests on that kanji describing the white feet nozzle, as AmuroNT1 pointed out it could be emmiter.
The kanji seems to be "砲" although it looks a bit different from the other kanji for the ports on the limbs/knees. I'm guessing this is due to the designer's penmanship.