Bleach is offically ending!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Bleach is offically ending!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -final-arc

Consider this a sad day for fans of Bleach, looks like the manga is going to reach it's final arc and wrap up everything (hopefully). Some of you may not know, but I am a bleach fan girl...I started watching the anime from the beginning with my brothers and I grew to love all the characters (especially Rukia), so much so that I started following the manga. Bleach, just like One Piece (never watched), has always had very mixed reactions. Some people like it, others hate it, many don't even follow Bleach (I am betting there aren't many people on this site who do, this is called mechatalk for a reason :) ). But many do agree that the first few arcs of Bleach were perfect and freaking amazing...that is the reason why a lot of "fans" hate Bleach, because as it went on...it wasn't as good as the first few arcs.

All of that is beside the point, the fact is that Bleach is ending...for good. The reason? It has to do with Bleach's sales dropped roughly 25 percent, and that many fans hated the Fullbring arc (I am not the biggest fan either, but after rereading the whole thing from start to finish, it wasn't the end of the world like many fans were proclaiming, in fact, it had a lot of good moments and was very enjoyable).

So Kubo was given an arc to finish up his story, after all, Bleach was successful before so I doubt they would just end the manga without a final chapter. Now the real question, is how long will the final arc be? If you will recall the arrancar arc took about 5 YEARS to finish up. So who knows how long this will be? I doubt 10 years like Kubo boasted in a interview after the Arrancar Arc.

To be honest, maybe this is a good thing. The story will finally end and just not keep running ON and ON. Until it starts getting a little old (am I looking at you One Piece? Maybe...), given that, I am still sad about this. However, after Bleach's sales dropped, and Kubo was told to "end your fricken series" maybe he has lost some of his ego and big-head (oh, c'mon, he defiantly had at least a little one). After all, about a year ago Kubo's story and sales were amazing...but things went down hill. So my hopes are for a dark, depressing beginning of the arc (with maybe a few characters deaths...eh Kubo? Eh? No point in holding ANYTHING back now), but get a little brighter and end on a optimistic note like Full Metal Alchemist? Or go crazy and kill everyone like in Deathnote?

I am hoping that Kubo will, "go big or go home." Go crazy Kubo...seriously, just do whatever you want...and yet remember the fans. Pay homage to some of their demands, yet do what YOU need to DO to end the series the way YOU want to.

To fans of the anime...the days of filler are numbered :)

I am a little happy about this because I am going to be on the edge of my seat, eagerly awaiting this arc to start, but I will still miss Bleach. But hey, it isn't my favorite manga anyway...Claymore still takes the cake, and eats it too. But I think the anime community will feel this loss at least a little...also I have been told that Naruto is on it's final arc as well...but for all we know a third series might be released....so...yeah.

But if BOTH Naruto and Bleach end...the manga community's big three is going to have to do some serious rotating. Be interesting to see who will come on top. Any ideas people? I never have and never will read Fairy Tale...but it seems to be a top contender. So we will see...hey maybe D.Gray Man will be moved back to weekly releases now!

So goodbye Bleach! And if anyone wants to be nostalgic and post a favorite moment of their's in Bleach, be my guest :)

Mine? Rukia's fight against Aaroniero Arruruerie, that was fucking great. And so emotional. (I didn't cry! You people cried! Shut up!) And any time Rukia is with Ichigo...I am not going to get into "love" and stuff, but Rukia and Ichigo have a very unique relationship that is just amazing. Don't see such trust these days in anime between characters like them. :)

Reactions people? I assume many already know so I don't expect explosions. I just was surprised no one posted anything.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Bleach is offically ending!

I am kinda glad that I'll be able to live long enough to see the end of at least one long running shonen epic :lol:

But yeah, I was surprised to hear the news. I'm not too broken up about it, though, as really after the end of the Aizen arc there wasn't much else to do. I'm glad the series is ending in its prime rather than going on longer at lowered quality.

But like was pointed out this new arc could run a long time so we won't be rid of Bleach yet (as opposed to Negima which only has 3 chapters left). I don't know what the arc could be about but I imagine it might have something to do with that higher plane Aizen was trying to get to.

I also got into Bleach when the anime started airing. It's been an eventful 8 years and I'm glad that Bleach was by my side throughout.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
SlowTurtle

Thank you! Its about time, I thought it would never end. It was not bad at first but my god it dragged on like a bad habbit after a awhile. Oh well all things do end after all, so long Bleach.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Arbiter GUNDAM

Kill it!! Kill it with fire!!

Nah, I'm not that hateful. But I will say, HOLY CRAP about damn time. I don't know, I actually haven't kept up with the manga since Aizen was defeated. I'm just... I just don't care anymore. I have a general apathy towards shonen stuff these days and a lot of stuff that happened in the last couple of arcs just seemed dumb. (We're in the middle of the enemy fortress, which we know nothing about, and instead of moving as a group in case Aizen has some fiendish trap or plot prepared for us, we'll split up, thereby allowing Aizen and his Arrancar to pick us off one by one, which almost worked if not for a convenient last-minute rescue. Because it's, you know, more honorable or somesuch to fight alone, even though we all got our @$$es kicked.)

So I think it's good that it's ending, but at the same time I just don't care anymore. Fairy Tail is the only shonen I care about now.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
SlowTurtle

Hell Planetes is the only real manga I ever got into and I must say really good writing I might add.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Newtype87

Wait, Bleach is still going on?

Admittedly, that's not my reaction to this news, that was my reaction to learning about the Fullbring arc and all of the insanity that had happened between that and when I last followed Bleach, which was the anime filler arc with the puppets and dolls and all that stuff. I genuinely was surprised that Bleach was still relevant in some way. Honestly, Bleach really feels like it has outstayed its welcome, and I think it should have ended with Aizen's defeat and Ichigo's depowering. Keeping it going after that almost perfect way to wrap the story up - save for a few loose ends - feels like you're beating an undead horse.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
Chris
Administrator

Soma Taozi wrote:I never have and never will read Fairy Tale...but it seems to be a top contender.
What's up with this?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Soma Taozi

Chris wrote:
Soma Taozi wrote:I never have and never will read Fairy Tale...but it seems to be a top contender.
What's up with this?
GAH! I meant to put a "probably" somewhere in there! Sorry that sentence seems a little narrow minded :) I am not the type of person who judges a series without watching /reading it first (I gave Naruto a chance and it just wasn't for me). I have seen some art for Fairy tale, some anime openings, and even the first few minutes of the first episode, and it never really captured my interest...I guess I am a little off put by the Soul Eaterish bright colors (but without all the Halloween imagery that makes SE so fun :) )...also my interest is a little shaken by the blue cat thingy that reminds me of a pokemon...YET!!!!

It has gained a lot of popularity, it is generally well liked, and I have really heard nothing all that bad about it. Plus, the fact that the main character is voiced by Todd Haberkorn in the dub is another plus (I love that man after his performance in xxxHolic and D.Gray Man's Allen Walker). Also, I have recently caught up to the dub's place for Bleach...and I am looking at something to watch on a rainy day...so maybe I should give Fairy Tale a chance...

I know this isn't the topic of the forum, but Is Fairy Tale very good Chris? Anyone willing to fill me in (very briefly) on this subject?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Chris
Administrator

Soma Taozi wrote:I know this isn't the topic of the forum, but Is Fairy Tale very good Chris? Anyone willing to fill me in (very briefly) on this subject?
Well, any further discussion of Fairy Tail should be its own thread so that it doesn't derail this one. If you want to know more, there is a Chaos Theater episode all about the series.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Soma Taozi

Really now? I am unfamiliar with the podcasts on this site. *gasps from around the room, all disgusted eyes of the patrons are staring, yet trying desperately not to appear overly interested in this outsider who disrespects the holy of the holy...the pod of the casts.*

*Head hung in shame* What episode is it?

EDIT: Never mind I found it.

-Me, 7/19/2020
Imperial

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Need I remind you how painfully long the Arranar Arc was? Kubo saying it's just "one more arc" is tantamount to saying Bleach has anywhere from three to five years of life left in it.

I think people are also rushing to blame Bleach's lagging sales. It's still selling about as well as the average Jump title, and publicity stunts like this may well spice it up. It's still a cash cow in no real danger of being cancelled. Kubo's just reaching the end of his tether.

And it's about time.
This space for rent
Soma Taozi

Soma Taozi wrote: So Kubo was given an arc to finish up his story, after all, Bleach was successful before so I doubt they would just end the manga without a final chapter. Now the real question, is how long will the final arc be? If you will recall the arrancar arc took about 5 YEARS to finish up. So who knows how long this will be? I doubt 10 years like Kubo boasted in a interview after the Arrancar Arc.
But I do agree that Bleach needed to wrap up. As for the sales, you are quite right Imperial we will see how this ends up.

-Me, 7/19/2020
Destiny_Gundam

Bleach is a member of Jump's Big Three so I doubt sales or popularity factored into it. It may be because Kubo is out of ideas or perhaps he simply just wants to end it and move on to something else.

I wouldn't be surprised if Naruto was on its last legs too as the current arc is clearly the climax of all that came before it.

One Piece is the only member of the Big Three that doesn't feel anywhere close to finishing.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Without getting too far off track, yes, Fairy Tail is very good. I started watching it thanks to Chaos Theater and have actually enjoyed it far more than Bleach, given my aforementioned apathy towards Shonen these days. Give it a shot. :)

--Freyja Wion
Destiny_Gundam

Just to be clear, you do know Fairy Tale is a shounen manga, right?
Arbiter GUNDAM

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Fairy Tail is the only shonen I care about now.
This.

--Freyja Wion
Gatx

None too soon either. I would argue that he should've ended it with Aizen, but what can you do right.

Now with Bleach gone Gintama can finally take its rightful place among Jump's Big Three. Seriously, it is one of the greatest manga (and by extension, anime) that you will ever come across. Hilarious comedy, great action, you'll laugh, you'll cry (completely serious, there are some real tearjerker episodes in there) and everything in between.

Then again looking at the rankings it seems Toriko and Bakuman are strong contenders. In fact Bleach is on the lower end of the spectrum on Jump's popularity poll.

Personally I'm still following Air Gear, if only because I started it. Nothing has made any sense since Obama joined the supporting cast and swapped bodies with a middle school girl. That is a thing that actually happened.
Destiny_Gundam

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Fairy Tail is the only shonen I care about now.
This.
My bad, I missed that part. I interpreted your last sentence as you citing your apathy for shonen as the reason you like Fairy Tale more than Bleach which suggested to me that you didn't think Fairy Tale was shonen. I had gotten into a big debate with one of my friends who insisted that Fairy Tale wasn't a shonen title because it was "better than that" or something.

Back on topic, I'm still looking forward to going on one last adventure with the characters I've known and loved for all these years. Bleach is the only long running shonen title that I've consistently been into and I've even gone so far as to buy the video games and the character books.
ZeonsSilverStar

You know I lost track of Bleach way back when, I actually had a friend who kept me up to date on what was happening. Anyway I'm glad to see its ending, though to be honest I assumed it had ended when Aizen was beaten, just to see how things wrap up and because I was growing alittle lethargic after all these years.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
Arbiter GUNDAM

Now that you guys mentioned it, I gotta say, I do think that it should have ended with Aizen's defeat.

--Freyja Wion