New Godzilla Movie for 2012

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
DuelGundam2099

New Godzilla Movie for 2012

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111801 ... id=13&cs=1

This is made of win, hopefully this movie will be action packed and full of kaiju destruction. 8) Anyone else looking forward to this?
Mu La Flaga

Re: New Godzilla Movie for 2012

Just a small thing when I tried clicking on the link, it was not redirecting properly.
Might have to check the link.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

http://www.animenation.net/blog/2010/03 ... -godzilla/

Oh, so it's American produced. I was wondering about the strange timing. The Japanese anniversary still isn't until a while off....

I've been meaning to watch this movie. Is it any good?
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Pkmatrix

^ Eh, not really - although I did find it rather fun to watch, if only to see Godzilla be badass and throw it down with the Emmerich version in Sydney. 8)

I'm really looking forward to this!
DuelGundam2099

To answer Seraphic's question it REALLY depends on what you're expecting. If you are expecting monster fighting and anything on a serious level you will be disappointed, if you look at it as a normal action movie, are not expecting realism, and don't expect real monster action for the first 3/4 you'll find it very entertaining. And yes it is better dubbed than subbed.
Mu La Flaga

Pretty much, although I didn't mind that movie for what it was personally.
SkyRaider

If they dont use Matthew Broderick and have a cool Godzilla design, it's already better than the 1998 travesty. The studio is going to have a hard time trying to convince everyone this film wont be like the last attempt.
Pkmatrix

SkyRaider wrote:If they dont use Matthew Broderick and have a cool Godzilla design, it's already better than the 1998 travesty. The studio is going to have a hard time trying to convince everyone this film wont be like the last attempt.
Which should be rather easy, because by the time this film rolls out in Summer 2012 it will have been 14 years since that disaster. The youngest people who saw this film in theaters will be around 30, and many of those people may barely remember it considering it was bad but not memorably bad. I'm one of those people: I saw it in theaters in '98, I've seen the film several times (each time testing whether it was as bad as I remembered), and if it weren't for my being a Godzilla fan there's no way I'd ever remember it - it was just BLAND and BORING (and poorly written, and poorly acted, and poorly edited...) I'm certain Legendary will probably aim for young adults (18-24), people who were 4 to 10 in 1998.

Now, if you're talking about the fans, well... I don't think there's much that can be done. There's going to be a segment that hates this film by default, a segment that hates it because it'll probably use CGI over Suitmation, a segment that hates it because it's American, etc., etc. I'm looking forward to this and am personally optimistic, though, so Legendary can count on my ticket already being sold (possibly a few times, depending).
Espdude

I'm really looking forward to this movie now, the last really badass godzilla movie that i saw was Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah, and the American one left very bad impression, to answer seraphic its a alright movie i watched the whole thing just so i could see Godzilla kill the American one, the only thing i didn't like about it was they didn't focus on Godzilla as much as i would have liked.
Zeong

I can't wait to see this. I have faith that they will easily make this movie an improvement over the last remake. But, with the new Clash of the Titans remake being terrible from what I hear, that does make me a bit worried though. I am wondering who they will hire to direct the movie.
Geoxile

Honestly I don't think many people watch Godzilla based on whether it's actually good or not as long as it has monsters and a classic Godzilla killing them. None of that zilla 'n eggs crap.
Third Child

I've always said it before and i'll say it again here, as long as they can find common ground with the best aspects of the original Japanese G-Man and of course putting forth their own concepts for the new American Godzilla monster, i think it'll be an improvement over GINO.
Admiral Larsen

Welll I had to stop here sooner or later.

First of all, what the heck Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures were thinking in taking on this project. In addition to the well known unpopularity of the Godzilla series in America, these days, the series (if I recall correctly) was not really well liked in its home country. Still this does qualify for a big gamble that the series is known for (the first one, the one in 1984, Godzilla vs Destroyah, and GMK).

Fortunately,the series has been fighting back with the releases of new Godzilla comics from IDW as well as new Godzilla DVDs and Blu-rays as well as new and exceptionally well done Godzilla toys.

All I can say is that good luck and good hunting, they are going to need every drop of it.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Hey that '98 Godzilla movie actually produced a cool cartoon, so it did one thing right.

As for this one... who knows?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Pkmatrix

Admiral Larsen wrote:Welll I had to stop here sooner or later.

First of all, what the heck Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures were thinking in taking on this project. In addition to the well known unpopularity of the Godzilla series in America, these days, the series (if I recall correctly) was not really well liked in its home country. Still this does qualify for a big gamble that the series is known for (the first one, the one in 1984, Godzilla vs Destroyah, and GMK).

Fortunately,the series has been fighting back with the releases of new Godzilla comics from IDW as well as new Godzilla DVDs and Blu-rays as well as new and exceptionally well done Godzilla toys.

All I can say is that good luck and good hunting, they are going to need every drop of it.
It's less that the Godzilla series is unpopular in America and more that it's been ignored for the better part of 30 years. It isn't THAT hard to make it successful. If done well, it should be about as successful (and attract a similar audience) as Transformers. I mean, Dinosaur movies in general usually do rather well, and Godzilla is by far the most well-known Dinosaur character - the filmmakers just have the remember the audience wants a fun popcorn flick. Honestly, Michael Bay might be a decent director for this project. ^_^()

*Dodges tomatoes*

As a Godzilla fan, I hate to say that (I prefer some of the more serious films - G'54, G'84, Biollante, GMK), but the truth is that if you want Godzilla to be successful you have to go for flashy and fun (more or less the opposite of Z'98).
2NA Fish

I so wish that one day there'll be a new Godzilla film to top Biollante. That was the first one I watched, and after that nothing else came close.

Michael Bay will be shit because he doesn't have any respect for anyone else's vision other than his own. Then he gets sidetracked easily with particular aspects of production and the whole thing falls apart.

I'll give the trailer a chance, but if I don't get the Japanese Godzilla vibe from it, I'll be a hater. :roll:
South Burning

When I did a comprehensive Godzilla display at the public library in 2010 (I do a display on something cool every year for my birthday in November) news of the new American Godzilla movie had already started to circulate, so I wrote to Legendary Pictures to see if they would contribute to the display. The president responded with a very personal and detailed letter. All of the t-shirts that had been made for a recent sci fi convention where the movie had been announced had, of course, been snapped up and no other advertising was available, so they couldn't offer what would have been a very cool contribution. But he professed to being a huge Godzilla fan and wrote that every effort was being made to make this a movie that would do the franchise proud and that dedicated fans would like. I believe he was sincere and I am expecting this new Godzilla movie to be a good one. I,too, was a little disappointed in the last American Godzilla, and I believe one of the reasons it didn't generate much excitement was that the producers were TOO secretive about Godzilla's appearance. No images or toys were seen until after the movie debuted. I hope Legendary doesn't make this same mistake. Even a brief flash of Big G in a preview would increase the wow factor. And Arbiter Gundam was right about the cool cartoon series. I have always wished that Sony would release the entire Godzilla The Series on DVD. It was well done and promoted some great values for kids. I can't wait to see the new movie AND to buy the new toys.
kayone73

Pkmatrix wrote:^ Eh, not really - although I did find it rather fun to watch, if only to see Godzilla be badass and throw it down with the Emmerich version in Sydney. 8)

I'm really looking forward to this!
yep, that was the most amusing thing about that movie

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIcExdpsEcQ
zerogradius

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Hey that '98 Godzilla movie actually produced a cool cartoon, so it did one thing right.

As for this one... who knows?
I thought that cartoon was kinda boring, actually.

And I think they would be better off making a remake of King Kong vs Godzilla. It would garner more attention than it just being Godzilla.