Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME

Your own tale of two mecha.
Inferno

Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME

And thus begins my grandest undertaking, probably over 100+ chapters. Expect an infrequent update schedule, but I'll try my damnedest.

FIRST CHAPTER HERE

I'll bump the thread with each update. I've also switched from DeviantArt to Ao3 because it's much more reader-friendly. So let the epic of Angel and the Gundam Extreme begin!
Inferno

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME

AN UPDATE!

Actually, I have the first 6 chapters all done. But I figure that for reasons of pacing, I'll post 1 a day for now. Still, don't hold me to that rate...
Antares

It's always a good idea to pace yourself; you will unavoidably run into times when you can't get anything written, and in that case a buffer is a good idea. Also in general I find that keeping the publishing pace about 4-5 phases/episodes behind the writing allows you to do some rewriting when you need to without having to retcon.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Antares

And I do find the title "EXTREME" with all caps a little Mountain Dewey. ;)
Inferno

Antares wrote:And I do find the title "EXTREME" with all caps a little Mountain Dewey. ;)
Well, the fic started as an attempt to fit the Extreme Gundam into UC continuity and then in the planning process the fic just kept growing and growing, with multiple ideas thrown in. The capslock is both for eye-catching and because I felt like the goofiness of it was sort of endearing.

As for the pacing, I actually anticipated the problem, since Long Journey Home (the link might be in my sig still, I can't remember) sunk like a rock for the exact same reason. As of this post, I'm actually working on the seventh chapter, and I have specific details outlined up to the twentieth one. The delay in getting my Ao3 invite wound up helping me build that buffer quite a bit!
Antares

Considering the current size of your installments, you're doing well enough. Regarding that, you might try boosting the size of a single episode to 2000 words. I see you're currently going for 1000 per hit, and that's fine too. However, if you want to bring immersion to the story, you kind of will have to make it a bit longer: right now I found that "oh, already?" when I finished the second one. But that's your call, whatever you feel comfortable with.

On the title, it's not really a problem, I just made a funny connection in my mind. :)
Amion

Just read the first two chapters, and was impressed. your writing style is clear and concise, something I need to work on more. Overal, an enjoyable read. I have longed for a good pirate/mercenary story from UC, and now I have it.

My only question is how the heck Hass was able to piece together an Argama class battleship. Angel is an interesting character, and the ponytail reminds me of Cronicle Asher from Victory Gundam. These are just the first to two chapters, so I look forward to the next phase.

Overall rating: 3 stars.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Inferno

Well, I can say without spoilers that it took a lot of salvage and calling in contacts throughout much of 0088. But the history behind the Vulture is a point that'll be coming up later.

I keep forgetting to upload Phase 03, mostly with school getting in the way. I'm actually writing Phase 08 now during my back-to-back study halls. The length is something I'm keeping in mind, with Phase 06 sitting at 1600 words. But overall I want each chapter to have something happen, but also be quick enough to read in one sitting without the reader getting bored. The downside of this is that I get a DBZ-style way of drawing things out. In fact, the first three phases take place in about an hour's time, more or less. But I figure since those three chapters are loaded with exposition and description of characters, I figured it would be good to divide it up into multiple chapters rather than one mega-chapter which has everyone introduced at once. Right now the only characters introduced are Angel, Captain Hass, Junior, Gearhead, and Oldman. Phase 03 will formally introduce Harpy, Storm, Cowboy, and Grizzly.

As for Angel, he is based around me in looks only. Like I said earlier, this fic was multiple WIPs rolled up into one masterwork. One of those WIPs was a fic featuring me and a lot of my friends. Nearly all of the "cameos" are based on appearance: Angel and I are entirely different people, as will be Grizzly and the friend he was based off of. The only exception one instance where a friend's personality became convenient to put in, but she isn't even slated to appear for 20 or more chapters. Nearly all the portrayals are void of bias, with great care taken to avoid turning this into *shudder* Sonichu.
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inferno

UDATED

That should introduce all of the Vulture's major crew members, so I might wait a bit until I finish chapter 8 before making any posts. That one will have the Gundam!

Also, I'm considering updating with two phases at a time, since these 1000-word chapters are pretty easy to churn out so far.
Amion

Chapter three. not much to go on in this particular chapter, as most of it revolves around introducing characters. I personally find Angel's bright feelings about returning to Granada somewhat out of character from the first chapter, which has him stating he is always sleeping and in a sort of mental hibernation of sorts to deal with his wartime grief. I guess Granada is a great place for pirates and people who hate the Federation.
Inferno

See I feel the temptation to explain these things now, but the story will explain it in time. I mean, I have enough trouble spoiling the work of others, to avoid spoiling my own will be ridiculous.

ANYWAY, HAVE AN UPDATE!

(Chapters 8 and 9 are done, but 8 still has a lot I want to add to it. It'll definately be the longest, since that's where the plot properly gets kicked off.
Amion

you said this somewhere, but I'm going to be lazy and just ask. Does this take place after the First Neo Zeon War, or the second?
Amion

Another short Chapter, but one that reveals Angel obviously is haunted by the ghosts of the Gryps Conflict. The cliffhanger was a bit shallow, but still does its job to make the next chapter more anticipated.

I apologize for the double post. (oh please don't let shadowcell or the others find me... :shock: )
Inferno

It's cool, I made the same mistake when I was a newbie. I think you've got beginner's forgiveness right now :P

But this is after the Neo Zeon War. That's a big part of Phase 05 and factors into Angel's psuedo-PTSD (I refuse to specifically say he has this because I have no professional experience to make that claim)
Inferno

and in that spirit, DOUBLE POST FOR DOUBLE UPDATE!

Phases 05 and 06 are really one big chapter, but because of the large change in venue, I split them into two phases. But yeah, more ANGST ANGST ANGST ANGST and male bonding!

Oh, and it goes to say that since these guys are space sailors, they have the sailor's mouths to boot.
Inferno

I know 3x bump combos aren't permitted, but I wanted to announce that I'll be taking a brief hiatus. I know I haven't updated in a while, and maybe I'll edit and post Phase 07 later today to satiate you all, but I wanted to take the President's day weekend off to work on schoolwork. But then other things happened and I'm gonna have to postpone stuff for a bit longer.

Reasons (and ANGST ANGST ANGST) ahoy:
Spoiler
Yeah, my boyfriend broke up with me. It wasn't a bitter breakup, but I'm still kind of heartbroken and I need some time to adjust to that and go back to us being really good friends, and then let my mood recuperate in order to avoid Tomino syndrome.
Ultimately, this hiatus is so I can still write the best possible story. I'd like to thank you all in advance for your patience and hopefully I can give you an update for the road!

EDIT HERE IS YOUR UPDATE I STILL LOVE MY FANS ALL 3 OF YOU
Inferno

(Man someone should post so this isn't as awkward)

Anyway, so I'm back to writing, and Phases 8 and 9, another double update, are coming down the pipe. I haven't been too satisfied with how Phase 08 is coming, but it WILL happen by the end of the week, mark my words.

Edit because HERE THEY ARE!
Inferno

Bumping again with an update

No but is anyone actually reading this or am I just spamming the forums up