Details of Writing a Gundam Fanfic Novel

Your own tale of two mecha.
Amion

Details of Writing a Gundam Fanfic Novel

(My apologies if this isn't in the appropriate thread, I wasn't sure where to post) I really am definately not a techi. That having been said, I feel as though the over all formating for writing a fanfiction in this thread is not quite clear, at least to me. So, allow me to post my questions here, hopefully when they are answered, I won't feel so stupid and can actually contribute.

1. From what I have seen, it isn't necessary to have a website of your own if you wish to post a fanfiction. Is this true? I know pictures and other such things are preferred, so IS it necessary to have a website? If not, do I just post a new topic and write?

2. What about any comments I might get? Do I need to post a comments topic?

3. How long can this fanfiction be? My personal fanfic will be about as long as a novel. Is this acceptable? Or do I need to write on another site and post a link to the novel?

4. Now, in regards to question #3 being I need to just link to another site, which sites are preferred or suggested? As I have stated before, I am a bit ignorant, so I don't know of many. Fanfiction.com comes to mind, but I don't personally approve of that site. Any suggestions would be helpful.

All that said, hope you guys can help! I would enjoy posting a story, just need more guidlines I guess, so I don't do something foolish.[/color]
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Inferno

Re: Details of Writing a Gundam Fanfic Novel

Well, I've just started my own massive project, which is probs gonna be way larger than my NaNoWriMo book. My friends and a lot of writers I admire use Archive of our Own, something I'd recommend! There's only one post in the Gundam UC tag, so a bigger fanbase would be appreciated!
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

*scratches head* These are easy answers. Why isn't anyone replying??
Amion wrote:1. From what I have seen, it isn't necessary to have a website of your own if you wish to post a fanfiction. Is this true? I know pictures and other such things are preferred, so IS it necessary to have a website? If not, do I just post a new topic and write?
No, it is not necessary. Some of us here just post our writings directly to mechatalk in the forum format. Pictures and whatnot can be hosted at other places like photobucket and linked into your story.
Amion wrote:2. What about any comments I might get? Do I need to post a comments topic?
Mechatalk tends to integrate its fic and discussion threads. It's more organized and reduces clutter (which makes ShadowCell happy.) If you are worried about people trying to find your chapters and having to sift through comments, you can create an index post that links to each chapter.
Amion wrote:3. How long can this fanfiction be? My personal fanfic will be about as long as a novel. Is this acceptable? Or do I need to write on another site and post a link to the novel?
As long as you can bear. And as long as you can hold reader interest, lol. I like when writers can say things succinctly, so a chapter's length can go towards development or discussion.
Amion wrote:4. Now, in regards to question #3 being I need to just link to another site, which sites are preferred or suggested? As I have stated before, I am a bit ignorant, so I don't know of many. Fanfiction.com comes to mind, but I don't personally approve of that site. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I'm not very familiar with the available fiction hosting sites. I also dislike ff.net, so I don't really use it. You could just post directly to mechatalk if you are putting your work here. If you want to use a forum format without a language filter, you can try hosting at The Lost Citadel, which is mechatalk's fanfic sister forum. The link is in my signature.

I think that should sum it up. Let us know if you have further inquiries. Be sure to check out the other stories, and the Index at the top, too. (People tend to reciprocate and read your work if you comment on theirs first.)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Antares

Seraph pretty much nailed it.
1. I recommend writing on your own platform (Word, or whatever), and then copy-pasting to a new location. Bear in mind some text is too lengthy to copy-paste outright to a forum. Also using a text editor allows you to make the text more readable, i.e. avoid the "wall of text" -effect, which for me instantly means I'm not interested.
Someone else's website, their rules. Your website, your rules.

2. If you take a look of my GundamSeedPhoenix -thread, I'd say that's quite usual. ShadowCell's fics got massive amounts of comments. Be prepared for very few comments, regardless of where you post.

3. My original fanfic was... around 1200 pages with New Times Roman 12 (1,15 space between the rows). So as long as you can keep it up, go for it. But remember to pace yourself, as I mentioned in Inferno's thread just now.

4. WordPress blogs might work for you, they did for me. You can reserve a slot there for your fic, no probs. Also relatively easy admin. Of course, you most likely won't get as much traffic there as you would on FF.net.

And what Seraph said; you talk to us, show an interest, and we'll reciprocate. Sometimes the critique can be harsh, but we don't bash on anyone here for personal satisfaction.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Amion

Thank's a bunch, I didn't know shadowcell had a fic, definately going to check it out. I looked over SEED Phoenix, and was really impressed with the formatting of the site. I'll start reading, as advised.

One more question I should have put up before now. My fanfic will be similar to UC and will include newtypes, but will have its own timeline: the Galactic Century (I have yet to fully decide on the name) in any case, where would a more or less original story go in one of these sites? I am still finicky about fanfiction.net....

While waiting for replies, I'll check out Lost Citadel. While I would personally like a wordpress site, I am no master of html and actually have a fiction novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo, so I can't spend as much time on this story as I would like to, although when I start, I plan on updating regularly (famous last words)
Antares

You don't have to read all of the stuff, but it helps to get an idea what other people have done. :)

A new timeline is OK, I think, if you can commit to it and it makes sense as a whole. It fits here or any other place without problems; if it's mecha, you can write it here. Other sites have their own rules as said, but with Wordpress you don't have to bother with those. I don't know how well FF takes to crossovers, though.

If you have a good idea going, you know it is really good when you can replace "the Gundam" in the story and work with it regardless. What I mean to say that a good fanfic has enough merits to stand on its own, but just happens to be situated in an established world or borrows established characters.

Ganbatte! :)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Amion

Thanks. I just posted the first chapter of Gravity Well, check it out if you wish. Gosh I need to learn some more html. Problem is I am just lazy, so I need to fix that. I have great collage obligations, so I don't know when I will be able to make big updates to the story, although I will make an update every friday or tuesday of some kind.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14704 hope this hasty url works.