Rinne no Lagrange Discussion Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
VentZX

Rinne no Lagrange Discussion Thread

Didn't see one, so I thought "Hey, why not?"

So who else has been watching this? I have to say, so far I'm loving every minute of it. As I mentioned on a podcast, giant robots and cute girls, this is why I watch anime in the first place. That said, the show is visually impressive with the mecha having a nice mix between 3D and 2D animation going on, and setting is lovingly recreated. The music in the show is great, and in my opinion, it has the best opening and ending theme combo of the season.

As for the characters, as of episode 2 I'm liking everyone introduced so far. Madoka is a fantastic protagonist, who's just easy to like. Lan was also a bit of a surprise, since I had her pegged for an emotionless Rei Ayanami archetype, but she's got quite the sense of humor, and she's shown that she has a vulnerable side as well. Even the so called villains seem to be likable, showing that they care for their allies and acted to help each other out, rather than just being mindless bad guys.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Rinne no Lagrange Discussion Thread

I'm watching it too, of course. It's great so far and Madoka is definitely a refreshing lead.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Turinu

When a mecha pulls off a German Suplex (Is that what that move is called? I forget), you know it's gonna be an awesome show.

I find the lil' thing Madoka does with her hand adorable.
Ryujin

MARU!

With that being said, this season's shaping up to be a great one for me, what with the space pirates, superpowered songstresses, inept farming detectives, orgasming pilots & all.

The mecha, in its vehicle mode, kind of reminded me of the Union FLAG in how its components were arranged.
teslashark

Gives me a feeling of... Uchuu no Stellvia
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Dean_the_Young

I saw the first episode: was intrigued, but not converted. Good humor bits, but I'll be waiting to see how this develops in the future. I'll give it another episode or three before catching up.

It looks pretty, for sure. And it has giant robots. I just don't know if I'll care for the character plots.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
VentZX

Episode 3 keeps things going quite well.

It was a joy to see them fighting in town, while Madoka was aware of exactly where she was fighting and how best to avoid collateral damage. What was particularly funny was Madoka's unorthodox fighting style. Trying to choke out the enemy Ovid with a power line was pretty hilarious, and the way the guy reacted was even funnier. Their fight also pretty much confirmed my previous suspicion that the so called antagonists aren't quite what they seem, and the Vox Ovids have a pretty terrifying legend surrounding them. Speaking of the legend, it was nice to see Lan overcome her fear. I seriously misjudged her character early on, and I'm glad I did. Finally, the girls giving their machines names was the icing on the cake.

"I'm gonna call mine Midori."
"Why Midori?"
"You know, because it's green!"
"Then I'll call mine Orca."
"That sounds weird."
"Not as weird as Midori."

Ha!
Ryujin

Yeah, it's been pretty much a fun ride. Imho, those hectic situations have been a good vehicle for defining Madoka's character & personality.

All the fast-paced action from the first episode on is quite a contrast to Tatsuo Sato's other directoral offering this season, Mouretsu Pirates. Nothing wrong with that either, mind you; while the pacing in Pirates seems much more leisurely, it's just as entertaining in its own right, especially in the time spent on world-building and technical details (and a surprising lack of fanservice for a show that airs past midnight; girls in miniskirts moving up & down an access shaft in zero-g -- and not a single panty shot in sight). Sato had also mentioned in an interview that he pretty much excluded serious romance elements for both Lagrange and Pirates.

The art direction's a pretty interesting choice; pastel skies and a generally 'warm' colour pallette complement Madoka's personality quite well. As for the mecha, I'm rather liking the designs for the antagonists' Ovids more than the Vox ones at the moment.
VentZX wrote: I seriously misjudged her character early on, and I'm glad I did. Finally, the girls giving their machines names was the icing on the cake.
Yeah; Lan's just rather...reserved, and she's apparently been carrying some baggage along. Woof.

Come to think of it, anybody would seem reserved if you used Madoka as a yardstick. Well, except for her cousin.

I was hoping in that scene, though, that there'd be a hint that Lan would make a move towards confiding in Madoka the terrible cost of piloting the Vox, whatever it is, instead of fade audio, camera pan up.

Then we get Array's ominous prophecy, with those cut-ins to Muginami. What deep, dark secrets may be dwelling underneath that ditzy, blonde, D-cup exterior?

Speaking of which, I wonder how difficult it was to get Array out of his Ovid, and if it's still stuck in a suplex'd position?
Destiny_Gundam

Lan was just acting professionally. It's kind of annoying how any percieved 'emotionless' girl is immediately marked as a Rei clone. Let's not get into how Rei was far from emotionless to begin with.

Anyways, neat episode. Madoka is definitely a fun protagonist.

Still, why rename the robots? What was wrong with calling them Aura and Lympha?
VentZX

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Still, why rename the robots? What was wrong with calling them Aura and Lympha?
Well, for one thing, I'm pretty sure Madoka wasn't privvy to the Aura moniker. She was barely getting the Vox part right. Besides, it has everything to do with giving it a personal touch. I'm sure Madoka sees the Vox Aura as a comrade, same as Lan, and it's right in her personality to give it a nickname.
Ryujin

Okay, time for the weekly Lagrange discussion. Let's see...

Muginami desu!
Muginami desu!
Muginami desu!

Muginami sure raises a lot of questions, and I didn't expect the apparent placement of her Memoria to be there.
Spoiler
Her apparently showing up in the hangar naked reminded me of the Terminator, and I found her introduction at school and the conversation with Madoka that followed, along with those eyes, creepy in its own way.
Lan's really cute in her awkwardness. A miracle of the universe, some might say.
And Tadokoro & Yoko make for an entertaining couple.

So, Vox Ignis, Aura & Lympha --- representing Fire, Wind & Water. Special attacks/finishers based on their respective elements in future episodes, presumably.

Barely any robots onscreen in this episode, but quite an entertaining episode nevertheless--the next thing I knew, the ED was playing already.
VentZX

Like you mentioned Ryujin, this was almost like a breather episode after the first three. I'm interested in finding out just who the new guy that attacked the space bishonens' ship is. They don't really seem to get along, and the new guy is going to be meeting Madoka next episode.

I'm really warming up to Lan as she shows more sides to herself. Her jealousy and clumsiness was all kinds of adorable, but what I like most about her is her determination. She won't be letting Muginami best her quite so easily (though she's eternally beat in one particular department...)

Yeah, speaking of Muginami, there's way more to her than she lets on. It begs the question of which faction she's with. She knows about Lan's identity, so is she with her people, or is she with a group that opposes Lan's peoples' rule? I think that's one of the intriguing things about Rinne no Lagrange is that in the background there's a distant interplanetary war/power struggle going on, and because it's so distant, we really don't know the shape of it. You would (and maybe are supposed to) assume that Lan's people are in the right because they are "protecting" Earth from invasion and allied with Earthlings. What I think is more likely though is that they're the ones invading other planets and subjugating people, and that's why those three guys actually need the Vox, to fend them off.

Woo speculation! Bah, I could go on, but I'll leave it at that.
Destiny_Gundam

Well Lan's butler is clearly suspicious.
VentZX

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Well Lan's butler is clearly suspicious.
Haha! Understatement of the year so far.

Anyway, I'm listening to the OP&ED Single. Megumi Nakajima had a few good songs as Ranka, but Try Unite! and Hello! are far and away my favorite of her songs. I'd go as far as to say that Rinne no Lagrange has the best theme songs for the season. Not only that, but I'm really digging the OST in general.
quasadra

VentZX wrote:Anyway, I'm listening to the OP&ED Single.
:shock: its out already?!!!

*checks my source*

oh...

*clicks... clicks...*

though i do like Try Unite, i am not interested in the ED. so,i disagree with VentZX that it has the best theme this season, i like the themes for Ano Natsu better(especially the ED). but this is all a matter of personal taste.

now about the show, while i enjoy its hijinks, i am also not sure what kind of a story they are trying to tell here. still, just going by the OP sequence, i guess it will take the route of flowery cosmic peace. time will tell i guess.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
VentZX

quasadra wrote:though i do like Try Unite, i am not interested in the ED. so,i disagree with VentZX that it has the best theme this season, i like the themes for Ano Natsu better(especially the ED). but this is all a matter of personal taste.

now about the show, while i enjoy its hijinks, i am also not sure what kind of a story they are trying to tell here. still, just going by the OP sequence, i guess it will take the route of flowery cosmic peace. time will tell i guess.
Your personal taste is wrong. :)

I agree with you though, it's hard to judge where the plot is really going from here. Also, the official website lists Kiss, the organization mentioned by Kirius is apparently a group of chivalrous thieves.
Gyra Solune

So wait, does that mean the other antagonist is really Gene Simmons in disguise? :o

I do intend to follow this, it's quite interesting. It definitely appears to be far more than it appears, but unlike other shows that do that, it doesn't descend into that right away, and it always leaves an uncertainty. It shows all signs of being a dark, mysterious plot veiled thinly by the carefree life of Madoka and her friends, but maybe it really just is that carefree life and all the darkness hardly pales to the optimism the protagonist radiates.

Madoka's also a great protagonist, as unlike...EVERY mecha lead character since the 70s, she doesn't have dark secrets swirling around her, or if she does she doesn't seem to care. She's genuinely optimistic with no strings attached, and she faces everything with the same confident attitude. And yet unlike, say, Koji Kabuto, she can't solve ANYTHING with a big "BREASTO FIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAH" or "ROCKETO PAAAAAAAAAANCH". I don't think I've seen Vox Aura do anything that constitutes as a special attack- literally the only way Madoka's been fighting is by improvising and using whatever she can around her, with her only real advantage being its relatively sturdy armor. Then again, the alien gaiz seem quite afraid of the three Vox units, and it likely isn't just because they can pick up a telephone pole and whack things with it.

All in all, I must see this through as it only seems to get more and more interesting as time goes on without completely overwhelming the viewer or blatantly making them feel like they're missing tons of information that the plot will throw in later.
quasadra

VentZX wrote:Your personal taste is wrong. :)

I agree with you though, it's hard to judge where the plot is really going from here. Also, the official website lists Kiss, the organization mentioned by Kirius is apparently a group of chivalrous thieves.
IMPOSSIBLE!, im always right! :evil:

now it wouldnt surprise me that it turns out the good guys are the bad guys and the bad guys are the good guys all along. and those 3 dudes are just trying ask Madoka out for dinner.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Vent Noir

Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this show so far. Not my favourite of the new season (that's be Mouretsu Pirates), but it's up there.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Gyra Solune

quasadra wrote:
VentZX wrote:Your personal taste is wrong. :)

IMPOSSIBLE!, im always right! :evil:

now it wouldnt surprise me that it turns out the good guys are the bad guys and the bad guys are the good guys all along. and those 3 dudes are just trying ask Madoka out for dinner.
If anything, it's Lan trying to ask Madoka out for dinner. The obvious crush she has on her is cute, to say the least. ^_^