Dom Funf lineart?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
balofo

Dom Funf lineart?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10 ... 36344.jpg/

Came across this on many jp websites, yet that lineart doesn't quite match the animation
Strike Zero

Re: Dom Funf lineart?

That's because the mobile suit in those screenshots is not a Dom Funf, it's a customized Rick Dom that belonged to Admiral Delaz.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
toysdream

Well, it actually kind of is a Dom Funf. Like it says in the HG-UC Dom Tropen kit manual:
It's said that, at the end of the One Year War, a few units of the space combat version of the Dom Funf were also deployed to certain fleets. It is unclear how many were actually produced, or where they were deployed, but it is confirmed that one was aboard the Gwaden.
As balofo notes, the Dom we see aboard the Gwaden is identical to the Dom Tropen in pretty much every visible detail. Its shoulders, chest, and cockpit area are identical to the Tropen, and don't resemble this spurious "lineart" image. Given that the Dom aboard the Gwaden is almost certainly a Dom Funf, as per the HG-UC kit manual - in fact, its presence aboard the Gwaden is probably the reason why the "Dom Funf" back story was created in the first place - the simple answer is that this "lineart" image is wrong.

Another appearance of the Dom Funf comes in the "Char's Deleted Affair" manga. As with Delaz's machine, it's identical to the Tropen in every detail except its feet. The Dom Gross Beil and the Dom Bein Nichts from the G Generation series are also Dom Funf variants which share the same Tropen-esque characteristics.

-- Mark
Strike Zero

Huh.

Well, I suppose we simply have to assume that the card I posted is either wrong or outdated (it names the Dom in question as the "Rick Dom Trial Type").

However, I wouldn't be so quick to write off the lineart that balofo posted. The Funf's profile explicitly mentions a modular design that could be changed depending on whether it's being fitted for Earth or Space -- perhaps it's simply yet another configuration designed for ground combat or some other role?
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
toysdream

Strike Zero wrote:Well, I suppose we simply have to assume that the card I posted is either wrong or outdated (it names the Dom in question as the "Rick Dom Trial Type").
More accurately, "Prototype Rick Dom". Since the Dom Funf seems to be a prototype model, that's not really inaccurate, it's just really vague.

For what it's worth, the 0083 novelization - the first source to identify this mystery machine as Delaz's personal unit - just refers to it as a Rick Dom. So there's a precedent there.
However, I wouldn't be so quick to write off the lineart that balofo posted. The Funf's profile explicitly mentions a modular design that could be changed depending on whether it's being fitted for Earth or Space -- perhaps it's simply yet another configuration designed for ground combat or some other role?
But the lineart drawing doesn't resemble any configuration of the Dom Funf or Dom Tropen that we've ever seen, either on Earth or in space, including Delaz's machine and the Funf variations from the G Generation series. It's not a bad drawing of a Dom-type machine, but it doesn't seem like actual lineart for any known variant, and for all we know it's just some random fan art.

-- Mark
MS-06

The lineart is from garage kit manufacturers Manics Mania, for their 1/130 Rick Dom model kit. Based on the Dom Tropen and Katoki's illustrations, but not 'official' in any sense.
toysdream

Aha! Thanks so much for solving that little puzzle. :-)

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

I remembered another obscure version of the Dom Funf which also resembles a bit that model:

Zeonic Front's version of the MS-09F

Besides its green color scheme, its main difference from the standard Dom is the shoulder armor which looks closer in shape to the one of the Dom Funf versions posted above, minus the verniers.

The defunct Zeonic Front official site claimed that this version of the Dom Funf was primarily deployed in Southeast Asia.
toysdream

The Zeonic Front game just used the 08th MS Team version of the Dom to represent the Funf. This doesn't really accord with any other depiction of the Funf, and it doesn't have anything in common with the Tropen, so I think it's best to just ignore it.

-- Mark
AmuroNT1

I was kinda wondering, since the ZF Funf's legs were totally smooth and lacked the detailed paneling of the Tropen.

Actually, that makes me wonder about something else - where did MAHQ's lineart for the Funf come from? It looks like a photoshop of the Tropen, but nobody's credited with the work. It seems like an accurate depiction of the Funf based off everything Mark's said so far, but I could be wrong.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
toysdream

Might be fan art by a Japanese fan, perhaps. I think it's a little off because, even though the artist 'shopped out the air intakes, they left the hovercraft skirts on the feet. The best option might be to use a shot of the Funf from Char's Deleted Affair for the time being.

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

toysdream wrote:The Zeonic Front game just used the 08th MS Team version of the Dom to represent the Funf.
That seems to be the case. I dug up the page with Dom series profiles from the Zeonic Front official site and unlike the english version of the game, it seems that the japanese version simply referred to thsi green Dom as a MS-09 Dom. It's profile does mention that it had a shoulder armor with different shape and that it was mainly deployed in Southeast Asia. Better yet, the page shows all Dom types that appeared in the game which allows a better visual comparison of them.
AnimeMun

Geez, we are using wayback machine for these things now? Whats next someone pull this out of the closet? http://web.archive.org/web/200306071913 ... 1&series=1
A supporter of the HARO mafia.

The Cross-Culture Hero.

This should probably be a secret but... MY NAME IS ANIME-MUN!
Doctord

Jeez I haven't seen that since I was twelve. I'm twenty one now

On another note whats the second dom on the first row? Rick?
" Or you could go the G Gundam route and have MS shaped like fish and windmills. Plus old men taking down MS with towels."

Char Aznable touching your butt is like the Gundam version of being knighted!
Gelgoog Jager

Doctord wrote:Jeez I haven't seen that since I was twelve. I'm twenty one now

On another note whats the second dom on the first row? Rick?
It's the Black Tri-Stars' Custom Dom. In the Gouf page the unit displayed as MS-07B is actually Ramba Ral's Custom Gouf; it even has his personal emblem on the chest.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

no way I never knew that the green Dom in Zeonic Front was the Dom from 08th ms team

now that I look at the shoulder armor and the small details and look at the Dom from the series

nice, learning new things from mahq

I miss that game
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!