Gundam characters you're GLAD died

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mickeymac92

Re: Gundam characters you're GLAD died

Jerid, because by the end of Zeta he just came off as wasted potential to be something great and was just a jerk. Seriously, you'd think with all the things he went through, he'd be a better man than he was, but it seemed to have just left him a bitter shell of a man.
Android raptor

Except Quess killing people happened after Char had gotten a hold of her and encouraged that. Which, honestly is more his fault than hers because at 13 years old the brain can't fully comprehend things like mortality and love like a mature adult one can. She was doing what Char encouraged and taught her was okay. She didn't have the perspective to fully understand the consequences of her actions, unlike Char.

Point is, we can't hold Quess to the same standards as a mature adult. She's not, not even close. I know she's an acquired taste, but in terms of being a terrible person the stuff she pulls is nothing compared to Char's schemes. Yet she gets about 10X the criticism and fandom condemnation.

I guess I wasn't tame as a 13 year-old then since I was basically Quess at that age (thankfully without the abusive older man taking advantage of me)!
Let me show you my Pokemons!
Liking characters no one else does since 1989.
Mu La Flaga

I think Quess would have turned out that way, even if Char didn't encourage her.
She tends to be one of those girls I think in the end.
zerogradius

I think its difficult to say how Quess would have turned out without Char's influence. The fact is that she killed no one prior to meeting him, and had no problem killing afterwards. I will agree that she was definitely mentally unstable from the getgo, since a normal person would not kill just because they were told to, but a lot of that was due to Char's influence and munipulation.

If we could mention characters that we wished died, I would nominate Hathaway in a hearbeat. He killed Chan after she came to save him in that beat-up ReGZ. She was one of my favourite characters in that movie and did not deserve to go like that.
Cardi Doorl

zerogradius wrote:...since a normal person would not kill just because they were told to...
There's an awful lot a "normal person" will do, up to and inclusive of torture and killing, for more or less that reason.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Android raptor

True. The Milgram experiment was with "normal" adults and more of them than not kept going just because they were told to. That doesn't even touch on a 13 year-old whose brain is literally incapable of fully understanding things like love, mortality, and the consequences of those actions.

If I was being manipulated by someone like Char at 13, and he told me to kill someone, I can't say I wouldn't do it. If I felt like it would make him happy and like me, and didn't fully understand the impact of something like that due to my brain being at such an immature stage, there's a good chance I'd go for it. Of course I wouldn't now because I have the perspective and maturity to know something like that is wrong and not be played by someone like Char, but still.

As much as people like to think Quess is some horrible anomaly, I think more of them than not wouldn't behave terribly differently in her shoes. Hathaway too for that matter.
ChaosGhidorah

That still doesn't change the fact that Quess is an ungodly annoying brat of a character who actually nearly killed the entire movie for me. I don't care if she's a realistic portrayal of a thirteen year old girl or not, her grating personality and every single one of her actions made me wish for her to be kindly removed from the film as soon as possible. Sure, some of her actions can be blamed on Char and he did do some truly monstrous things in the movie, but at least he had the excuse of being the freakin' villain!

When her death finally came, I rose myself from my chair and cheerfully clapped my hands in joy (although my happiness would prove to be shortlived thanks to that asshat Hathaway...), something I have NEVER done during another movie or series. That's how much she pissed me off.

Other characters I'm glad to have kicked the bucket would probably be Katz, Ghiren, Scirocco, Azrael, Patrick Zala and the Trinity siblings just to name the ones at the top of my head.
Amion

I actually liked Quess. Why do you ask? So I could watch her die of course! One thing about Gundam that always attracted me is that a lot of the time, bad characters die in horrible, often fitting ways, like Yuna from SEED Destiny.
In any case, I think the one character I most enjoyed seeing die would be two people, both from Victory Gundam: Tassilo and Pippinidian (I never quite learned how to spell it). Both men were vicious and cruel. Tassilo was a traitor villian, and I don't like that type very much. thus, it was great to see him go in an epic way, especially after he kills Maria.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Android raptor

Nice to know being a bratty 13 year-old is a crime punishable by death. Really guys, if you think Quess deserves to die for what she is I hope you're never around anyone between the ages of 11-15. Apparently I'm overdue for my execution as well since guess what, I was pretty much like Quess at that age! The horror!

That said, the only one in CCA who I was really glad to see bite it was Char. I think it was a really fitting scene, and the guy was a monster who needed to be taken out.

I didn't exactly shed tears when Chan was offed either. For whatever reason she annoyed me. I don't know why. Personal taste I suppose.
ShadowCell

you were not like Quess when you were 13, Android raptor. if you were, you wouldn't be here, you would be in prison.

because you can infer all you want, but what happens on the screen in Char's Counterattack is still what happened, and if we can hold the likes of Amuro and Uso and Kamille to the standards of a mature adult--which may not be fair, but then again, they're thrown into situations where they are required to become mature adults, like it or not--then we can do the same for Quess.
Android raptor

I was Quess who was never taken advantage of by an older man who told me to kill people. Other than that, I was just as much of an angry, arrogant brat.

I don't hold Amuro and Kamille to adult standards. TBH I think the fandom is too harsh on them as well but that's besides the point. And as long as the fandom keeps holding Quess, Amuro, or any character to unfair standards and bashing them well beyond what's justified, I can comment saying how ridiculous it is. You might not agree with me and that's fine, but I should be able to have my two-cents without someone saying I deserve to die for liking Quess (which has happened).
ShadowCell

prior experience indicates to me in big flashing letters the futility of what i am about to attempt to do but i am nothing if not completely immune to learning from my previous mistakes so:

if you were never taken advantage of by an older man who told you to kill people, then no, you were not Quess. because that is in fact what happens to her, it's part of her character, it's the majority of what we see out of her, and it's when that happens that she does the stuff that costs her the "but i was just 13!" card. it's like claiming that you're also Char, but only if you take away what happened to his family and his vendetta against the Zabis. fine, but now you're not talking about Char.

nobody is saying you can't have an opinion. on the other hand, if you can comment on how you find it ridiculous how the fandom tends to judge some characters, everyone else can comment on how they find it ridiculous how you tend to judge some characters. if you don't like that, well, don't comment.
Android raptor

So because I never was taken advantage of at 13 and ended up killing people I'm completely invalidated from relating to and identifying with a character? Well then, I guess no one can relate to any Gundam characters even since I highly doubt any of us have ever piloted a mobile suit or lived on a space colony or what have you.

Of course they can comment on how ridiculous my opinions are. From my experience, that's what happens every single time I express anything that goes against the fandom mainstream. People are at my back trying to denounce and invalidate my opinions and acting like they're somehow inferior to theirs. It's annoying, but I guess at least I know it's coming.

I'm done derailing this thread. Haters gonna hate.
ShadowCell

since you're clearly not actually reading the posts in here anyways, it's just as well.
teslashark

Only building a short list...
The two Blue Cosmos guys. Nothing needs to be explained.
Rau. Is it OK to say, he's trolling the world? He is a loser.
Ali. Omnicidal terrorist and gypsy cab driver - not gonna be glorified for sure. Wish he could be the final boss or at least be F***ed by Setsuna, though. Setsuna is more fitting, if Neil's half-baked KPSA story wasn't there.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Mu La Flaga

I would like to add 2 new people to the list.

Arthur Goodman, god was he annoying at times.
Ribbons later on also became this with his attitude and ego.
SonicSP

AGE Spoiler
Spoiler
Adding Yurin to my list because of how mad it made Flit go (to the point where he would try to stab the escaping Defurse pilot using the Gundam's beam saber through the small door). Good character development that fueled his rage and hatred for the Veigans even 25 years later. Very dramatic, sad and well done death, even if completely predictable.

Also because I'm an EmilyxFlit fan. Yes, petty I know.
teslashark

The most disturbing death scene: The unamed Zaku pilot in Evolve Ep.11. Our hero finally hit the one-armed Zaku, and a blast opened its cockpit... Then a girl about his age is sucked from the cockpit into the vaccum without a helmet. THEN a sad ending song starts to play. Anyone had a WTF moment?
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Ouroboric

Android raptor wrote:True. The Milgram experiment was with "normal" adults and more of them than not kept going just because they were told to. That doesn't even touch on a 13 year-old whose brain is literally incapable of fully understanding things like love, mortality, and the consequences of those actions.

If I was being manipulated by someone like Char at 13, and he told me to kill someone, I can't say I wouldn't do it. If I felt like it would make him happy and like me, and didn't fully understand the impact of something like that due to my brain being at such an immature stage, there's a good chance I'd go for it. Of course I wouldn't now because I have the perspective and maturity to know something like that is wrong and not be played by someone like Char, but still.

As much as people like to think Quess is some horrible anomaly, I think more of them than not wouldn't behave terribly differently in her shoes. Hathaway too for that matter.
I'm 21, and if Char told me we could save the earth's environment by putting it into deep freeze and forcing the people of earth off, gain independence and improve living conditions for my people from an oppressive government, and help people all evolve into newtype so we could all understand each other, hell yeah would i blow up some feddie ships and go through with the plan.Char was an idealist, and he was willing to use people to sacrifice for the sake of creating a better world, he was doing this in Zeon and in Aeug as well, as the situation in earth sphere got more dire, his methods and desperation for change got more severe. The Bolsheviks convinced their people to kill 20 million for the sake of the Communist revolution, mainly mature adults, the idea that killing another person is some great unspeakable evil that people get manipulated into is absurd, the entire history of mankind is drenched in our blood, and much of the time it was worth the results for the victors,and came from the will of the people, not to entirely justify it, but these things are a very grey area( though i would argue that Communism ruined an otherwise prosperous nation,practically for good). Quess was the one who ran to Char in the first place during his fight with Amuro, she could have stood back and not done anything, but she made her choice to help Char, and people are going to use all the help they can get in dire situations. At 13 you understand death and what happens when you kill something. Yes Char pushed her along, but it was'nt like she did'nt have it in her, there would have been nothing for Char to exploit then.
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
Antares

Guys, while the Milgram experiment is interesting, and it is, it borders on the body politic (like the previous post), and we're getting nowhere fast. I get that you want to find basis to which character had it coming, but be mindful of the rules of the forum.

I might have to check out Gundam X after the longest time to see who's deserving to die there. I do at least remember that
Spoiler
the Frost brothers apparently
didn't die. In Gundam00 there were so many. :D
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.