What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Red Comet90

Re: What books are you reading?

I'm currently reading Dead Space: Martyr. So far nothing has happened to really surprise me in the book. Just some people getting headaches and some guy going crazy. Stuff I've seen before throughout the Dead Space series of games and movies. I hope it fills in a bit more about the church of Unitology.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Outlaw

Red Comet90 wrote:I hope it fills in a bit more about the church of Unitology.
Yes, yes it does. Trust me, by the end you will really hate those Uni' bastards. :P
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Vent Noir

Finished "Mastiff", and enjoyed it for the most part, although I didn't feel
Spoiler
Tunstall turning traitor
was adequately justified.

Now on to "The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya".
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
xazavier009

I just Started reading "MSG : Awakening"
Vent Noir

Gotten to the end of The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya. Fun, but nothing that really stood out.

Next up, Sword and Sorceress XXV
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Zeonista

Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel, by Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris. Despite the long title, it is a fast-moving read, and a real fun late-Victorian steampunk adventure story.

On the non-fiction side, I have been enjoying The Samurai: A New History of the Warrior Elite. Written by Brit scholar Jonathan Clements, it takes a more straightforward and less credulous approach to pre-modern Japanese martial history than has usually appeared in the past. It covers motives and actions more than equipment, and dares to read between the lines in the older texts, to see the truth obscured by often anachronistic accounts. This is the first first English-language work I have read to use the term shinsengumi. Anime and manga fans may be the most interested in the last chapter, dealing with contemporary popular attitudes towards the samurai legacy.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
mcred23

After taking more than six months thanks to school, the NFL, and video games eating up most of my time, I finally finished Inside the Third Reich. In short, it was an extremely interesting look into the Nazis, as was the story of Speer himself, so I'm glad I finally read it (Even thought it took so long).

However, since I won't be home until Saturday, I'm not sure what I'm going to be read next. I've still got quite a few books sitting around that I want to read or re-read... :roll:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Red Comet90

Outlaw wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:I hope it fills in a bit more about the church of Unitology.
Yes, yes it does. Trust me, by the end you will really hate those Uni' bastards. :P
You were right! I found it interesting how the beginning paragraph of the book is actually the conclusion of the book. When you first read it it makes no sense. I really do hate that military guy who subjected Altman to all of that pain for essentially nothing.

I've just started to read the 1st book in Horus Heresy series from Warhammer 40k. I'm hoping its good since the Horus Heresy is such a pivotal moment in the 40k universe.

-- Haman Karn
RyuuXeven

Hm.. I'll probably get back onto reading Gundam Sentinel, and pick up Fate/Zero, Hidan no Aria and start on the Toaru Majutsu no Index light novels, too... not too into Western books, or really reading in general, prefer manga, but, I liked what I read of Sentinal so far.-

Oh, I'll prob' get to reading EndWar and a few other Western books, actually...
SlowTurtle

Reading Halo GlassLands an I must say not to bad so far. Kinda slow right now but I think it'll pick up.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Vent Noir

Put Sword and Sorceress XXV on hold for a couple of other books. I've now read Manga and Philosophy, and am onto Sage: The Power Within by Stephanie Holder.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

ShadowCell

for a class, Ludwig Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations.

it's like pulling teeth. or is it like pulling teeth? imagine a tribe where nobody has any teeth. how would they employ the word "teeth"? suppose Augustine had no teeth. I want to say, all philosophical problems take the following form: Hulk Hogan eating an omelet made of the tears of a clown while skateboarding down the side of an exploding volcano.
Antares

kudos to ShadowCell on his depiction of all serious books on philosophy ever. :D

Murakami's new 1Q84. The sheer bulk of all three volumes makes it hard to get into, and I get a feeling that in part Murakami is a bit too comfortable in his little niche to make too much of an effort to be refreshing, but we'll see how it goes.

On a more serious front, I picked up Wapshott's Keynes Hayek: The Clash That Defined Modern Economics. Too early into it to get an idea whether or not it is any good.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
SlowTurtle

Lord help me started reading A Tale of two Cities. People of the forum give me strenght and help me complte this read for my college class..... just had to go for my masters didn't I lol.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
Outlaw

Red Comet90 wrote:You were right! I found it interesting how the beginning paragraph of the book is actually the conclusion of the book. When you first read it it makes no sense. I really do hate that military guy who subjected Altman to all of that pain for essentially nothing.
I'll admit my brother had to beat me over the head with it to get me to read it, but it was a decent book and a fantastic companion to the games.

SlowTurtle wrote:Lord help me started reading A Tale of two Cities. People of the forum give me strenght and help me complte this read for my college class..... just had to go for my masters didn't I lol.
Could be worse, you could be reading Pride & Prejudice *shudder*. I reached my limit about a quarter of the way through the book and just had to accept that I was going to get poor grades for every assignment related to it.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Vent Noir

Finished Sage: The Power Within. I have mixed emotions about this one - at times I really liked it, and at other times I wanted to throw the book against a wall. Stephanie Holder did a good job of keeping the tension up and making me want to keep reading, but on the other hand the worldbuilding was lacking, and the main relationship had some creepy "Stockholm syndrome" elements to it (although it stopped short of being "Twilight with supersoldiers instead of vampires" that I initially feared, or the Allelujah/Soma relationship from Gundam 00 that I hated so much). The worst parts of the book tended to be in the early part, and it did improve as it went on. Recommended, with reservations.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

mcred23

So, as part of a British Literature class for school, I had to read Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. It was alright, although the endnotes in the version I got spoiled a few parts of it. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I don't plan on reading any of Austen's other works unless I have to.

On my own, however, I'm reading Soldat by Siegfried Knappe. It's been pretty interesting, although I'm only about a third of the way through it...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
SlowTurtle

Now we are reading War and Peace for my english college class, my god I never seen so many pages in a book.
Heron

The biggest secret by David Icke and The secret teachings of all ages by 32nd degree freemason Manly P.Hall.

Its great that you book worms still go to visit your local libraries, but times have changed especially with the introduction of the amazon kindle. Never has it been easier to get your hands on a wide range of reading comprehension if not all with the worldwide web. You all should have one regardless if you 'read' (which I find difficult to believe) or not.
Red Comet90

I finished reading Horus Rising. It was pretty good. It only went about setting up for Horus's eventual fall to Chaos, but it was still an interesting read.

Now I've started on the Blood Angels omnibus. So far its been really generic.

-- Haman Karn