Armored Core V

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Outlaw

Re: Armored Core 5 announced.

EternalPunishment666 wrote:http://andriasang.com/comzmg/acv_dlc/

My reaction to this: :shock:
Oh lord. Now I won't be able to rest till I've tagged a pilot with every single Over Weapon in the game. :twisted:
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_58NpF9Qdvk

New PV. I am so excited. And also afraid of that transforming IBIS-looking thing.
mobiusdiablo wrote:Secondly, as much as it pains me to admit it, I don't see online play going anywhere near as well as it did in the trailers, at least not here in America. To top it all off, some people don't have headsets and may have a hard time being understood... Right now, I'd see the only cure for this being hooking up with friends and everything and playing together. LOL I can see making a Mechatalk team already happening...
Yeah, FROM created the game and infrastructure, but it's up to the player base to use it to its fullest. Building a good community takes a lot of work. I know I'll be doing my best. And yeah, mechatalk team all the way. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
VR7

boo

I got a chance to try the Armored Core V demo. No online multiplayer until Saturday, I think.

You have a save game and AC data, and it looks like when online shows up you can even trade AC blueprints. I don't know if this will carry over to the final game, but for the purposes of the demo you cannot buy anything.

P.S. Don't mind the messy report, I don't feel like structuring any of my writing at the moment.

Throw out everything you remember from Armored Core 4/for Answer, because the game is now completely different, even down to the control scheme.

The controls have been revamped entirely. Boosting is now a toggle function, and jumping/quickboosting are separate buttons from regular boosting.

Game speed is way slower than ACfA. It really looks like they are trying to address serious complaints about the previous Armored Core games while retaining the fun factor of quickboosting and explosions.

Equipment is sorted by category types now to make it easier for people to find parts that suit their tastes. You can change it back to a regular parts list.

There are three categories of damage--Kinetic, Chemical and Thermal. Kinetic is ballistic damage, and it is as weak as always. Chemical seems more favourable for destroying heavily armored targets and ACs (Battle rifles deal chemical damage), though an AC can still be made especially resistant to chemical damage. Thermal is the equivalent of energy damage. (i.e. laser blades and laser rifles)

Back units no longer exist. Instead, back unit-type weapons are associated with shoulder units, which you can only carry one of. Also, you no longer have to dump your weapon in order to switch to hangar units--you can now cycle between weapons. Any regular weapon can be a hangar unit now. This actually allows a little more versatility in AC design.

Quick Boost (now known as High Boost) is still there, but you cannot abuse it like you could in AC4/fA, you use it as an emergency dodge as was originally intended. However, regular boosting does not drain energy anymore, so you can still boost indefinitely like you could with a good AC design in AC4.

Quickboost Turn no longer really exists. However, the glitchy quick turn from AC4 (QB, then turn) still exists kind of, but it doesn't look like you can do it on any surface.

Overboost kind of exists in some form, but it doesn't have a charge time like it used to and does not drain much energy.

You no longer have radar. You use recon probes to determine the location of the enemy, or you have a secondary operator tell you where the enemy is hiding.

Sniping weapons have zoom scopes. You must aim the weapons manually from a stationary position.

There are no Overed Weapons in the demo. Too bad, I wanted to try the multi-neck chainsaw sword.

The computer voice is independent of the head part unlike PS2 Armored Cores. You can change it in the Options menu, but for the purposes of the demo I guess it's locked.

You can "fly", but it's not the same as AC4/fA. You need to kick jump off of buildings to increase altitude. Tank ACs can't do this. Also, I guess lighter ACs can spend way more time in the air.

Heavy ACs move like tubs of lard.

Average AP for a medium AC is 30-35k, but don't let that fool you--damage levels are extremely high, making classic damage racing pointless. Battle rifles kill you in about a dozen hits, and a standard (not even Moonlight) laser blade can kill you in about 1-2. For best results, try standing still in front of a tank AC. On that note, sniping weapons can kill tank ACs in just a few hits.

There is one training mission, one single player mission and a test mode where you can test your AC against MTs, vehicles and basic humanoid/tank/quad ACs. The single player mission has you going around cleaning up a riot led by an AC pilot wielding the chainsaw sword, which he only uses against you in a cutscene.

At first glance the environments look way better than AC4/fA. The single player mission has you trekking in the rain through a city with actual animated LCD displays, lights, lots of cars and things to step on, etc. However, in the training arena the mountain terrain looks very primitive, just like in previous AC games.

I don't know how many multiplayer missions there are yet.
-noel
1-4-4

I've decided to take the plunge and get the game. I hope to have it by the end of the month. Japanese version, I'll just have to muddle through. :)
Calubin_175

Played the demo and have to say the environmental objects in the urban setting look so busy that they intend to distract the player.

Having only played Last Raven before, I would really like to see an HD release of it as AC5 is not for fast paced gravity bound one on one duals, but for tactical urban warfare. The manual lock does not demand as much aiming as the previous games.

With that said, does anyone recommend me buying For Answer? The only games I have on PS3 at the moment are two Gundam games. I did play roughly 20 missions of Last Raven on PS2 and gave up.

In regards to frame rate, the PS2 games are still better. Hopefully Gundam UC will be the first mecha simulator(not VS series) with good frame rate on the PS3.
Areku

Calubin, if you like fast paced, I'd highly recommend 4A. Having played every game in the franchise since 2 (sans Formula Front), I'd say it's easily one of the better games in the franchise, up there with Silent Line and Last Raven in terms of my overall enjoyment (different reasons for each).

For one thing, I love using energy blades in AC, and I feel like they're at their best in 4A. It's actually very feasible to make a successful blade-only design, with lighter opponents falling in two or three good hits from a strong blade, the best blade tracking in the franchise (even overpowered on some regulations), one FCS in particular that's designed specifically for blading, and back mounted boosters which can drastically increase the distance covered during a swing.

I'm just using blading as an example, I found the game to be pretty flexible in how you could play successfully. Pretty much any kind of specialized design works well in this game, with adequate skill and foresight, which I don't think I could say about any other AC game. And, of course, if you really crave breakneck speed, you can go all out and use regulation 1.15, which completely eliminates energy management as a factor; throw on as many lightweight parts and high output boosters as you want.

Anyway, yeah, I'd recommend 4A as a solid entry in the franchise.
Calubin_175

Heard that the frame rate of For Answer is unbearable, better try out the demo first. Overall, do people think AC 5's frame rate is better than that of AC 4?

EDIT: Got the demo of Ac4A from the HK PSN, the enviornment looks like Mech Warrior and Heavy Gear from the early 90s, frame rate during the fight against the AF feels like running a 200mhz cpu.

AC5 is good, they did take 2+ years to develop it and it should be good enough to be a perfect substitute of all the previous AC games.
VR7

The demo does not reflect the final product. The framerate in the full version of for Answer is actually slightly better than the demo version.

I got to try some online multiplayer. It's generally really clunky, you can't really invite PSN/XBL friends like in most other online games. You also can't do storyline coop missions, though it's probably because it's the demo.

There are two types of missions--Intrusion missions and Dominion missions. You work in a team of 4 other players plus an operator. You can choose to accept a mission on behalf of your team, or you can be hired as a mercenary.

Intrusion missions earn you team points, which are needed for dominion missions and involve cooperative play in destroying targets, usually half a dozen large helicopters. The targets can be easy pickings or very well defended--a friend of mine in a separate game was sniped and killed in one shot by an NPC turret.

One of the intrusion missions I did took place in a desert wasteland. It was actually kind of drab and boring, like AC4/fA environments. I liked the city more.

Dominion missions are competitive missions versus an actual enemy team of ACs, but I haven't gotten the chance to try this. Chances are anyone who is serious about this mode is not going to be hiring independent mercenaries, you're better off being part of a team that is serious about conquering territory.

If you die online, you can't respawn in your AC for the remainder of the game. However, your pilot will hop out and you can observe the game through your pilot's eyes. If your pilot is killed, he/she will respawn at the base.

The online system is pretty clunky because you can't just join games on a whim--hosts will recruit mercenaries or teammates on standby as needed, and you have to wait for someone to find you and recruit you. You will be prompted with a 15 second window to join and the type of mission you are entering.

Being an independent mercenary is not worth it at all--I helped in an intrustion mission where I was responsible for taking out 3 out of the 5 primary targets and I only got about 9,000 credits for it. I also ended up paying huge expenses, even though I didn't use much ammo or take much damage. Simply doing the single player demo mission nets you around 300k. If anything, I guess it's just to give you an idea of how online play works.

The main problem with online is that there are tehcnical problems that sometimes prevents games from starting--most of the games I joined ended up quitting because they could not move onto the briefing screen, and the one dominion mission I ever joined ended up aborting because there was no enemy team to face. Considering that they had a closed beta, you'd think From Software would have noticed problems like these already.

Overall, one and a half days of online multiplayer isn't really enough to determine how well the online component will work.

Online multiplayer will end tomorrow at 10am EST.
Last edited by VR7 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I really need to proofread.
-noel
Mickeymac92

I just found out that the U.S. version is coming out March 20th, one week before my birthday, and it's being published by Namco Bandai, which all in all means I'll be getting this day one. I'm really looking forward to it, too, and Calabin_175's description just made me even more excited.
Calubin_175

Just a reminder that the AC5 Demo will be taken down from the JPN PSN either today or tomorrow. I am not sure whether the HK PSN may have a permanent release in the future.

Going to buy the English version of AC5 since online play is verbal communication driven. For people that have played AC4 English version, were you able to connect to players playing a Japanese version?

I am still a noob at AC games, but have been doing some AC testing on the AC5 demo and it isn't insanely hard to beat an AC, though the difficulty is still comparable with Last Raven, except with more environmental objects to factor in. You would basically have booster on most of the time for general movement since it doesn't cost any gen. When you are on a river, the boosters will keep you hovering above it and may use up the gen gauge. If you turn off the booster, your AC will drop to the bottom of the river and won't be able to fire any weapons. Sometimes when you are running away, you might run into buildings, and narrow passages may make it more difficult for you to escape.

I see the enemy ACs bunny hop all the time, does it involve jumping and turning off the booster this time round?
Turinu

Agggh! Why'd you have to come out in March?! I want Mass Effect 3 and Tales of Graces f, but I really want Armored Core 5, too!

I've been an adherent to the series since its original release on PSX and have played every single game thus far, with the exclusion of Project Phantasma (For it has always alluded me). Obviously can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Speaking of, which system will the Mechatalk playerbase be playing on for the most part? Don't want to wind up getting it then having no one to play with. D:
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Hey, guys. Something is really freaking me out:

If you're using tank legs, and you fall in a pit of water, how the f*ck do you get out?? Tanks can't hop out, and I don't think you can really use your booster again if you are already hovering on the water surface. (Once I managed to do it accidentally when I was next to some buildings.) Having so little control over your z-axis movement makes this game really weird compared to the other AC games.

Shori, I think most of us are on ps3, what with the jrpgs and imported robot games and all... =3
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Turinu

Aye, I figured as much; was just making sure. Speaking of I saw you on earlier playing on the ACV Demo, probably still are. xD
VR7

Seraphic wrote:If you're using tank legs, and you fall in a pit of water, how the f*ck do you get out?? Tanks can't hop out, and I don't think you can really use your booster again if you are already hovering on the water surface.
As far as I know, if you jump while underwater your boosters will engage and you will surface.

Tanks have very limited agility compared to other AC types, if you are stuck in a place that normally biped and quad ACs can kickjump their way to get out of, you are probably stuck. Best bet is to avoid problem areas altogether.
Calubin_175 wrote:I see the enemy ACs bunny hop all the time, does it involve jumping and turning off the booster this time round?
Enemy AI or human piloted ACs? If it's the former, it's probably because they aren't very smart--unlike the PS2 Armored Cores, there isn't really much point to bunnyhopping other than possibly making yourself a slightly harder target to hit. If it's humans, then I have no idea.

Also, I own the Japanese version of Armored Core for Answer. I was able to play with players who own the English version of the game, if that means anything.

Is anyone getting Armored Core V early? The Japanese version comes out next Thursday.
-noel
Mickeymac92

Well, I just played the demo you all are talking about, and I must say I'm very impressed. I haven't played an Armored Core game in a long time, yet I adjusted to the controls fast. The demo mission was also a lot of fun to play, and I loved the boss. I don't remember "wall jumping" being in the older AC games either. It was a feature I greatly appreciated. The urban combat was just as cool as I remember, too, though I did run into prblem areas at least once or twice. The boss was...interesting. I was hoping for a powerful Mech, though. Now I can't wait to get it! Unfortunately, if I want it for my Birthday, I'm gonna have to get the 360 version so I probably won't be able to play online (no Gold status). I'll try for the PS3 version as an "early" birthday present, though.

Also, don't you just need to to hold the X button to bunny hop?
1-4-4

VR7 wrote: Is anyone getting Armored Core V early? The Japanese version comes out next Thursday.
I mentioned earlier that I am. Well, not "early" but I'm getting the Japanese release when it comes out. PS3 version. I love the AC series (the PS2 versions especially) and I never really got into AC4... I got the games, but didn't play them a lot and I bought them quite a while after release. I wanted to try it a little differently this time, get in on the game right at the beginning.
Calubin_175 wrote: Going to buy the English version of AC5 since online play is verbal communication driven.
I had considered waiting as well for exactly this reason. However, the AC4 series did allow connection between different regions of the game - and once the US version comes out I'll probably connect mostly with US people anyway (it doesn't seem like the kind of multiplayer where you're likely to just match up with a bunch of random people...) So I think for me the disadvantages of the Japanese version won't be too significant, but I'll get to play a couple months early... :)
Mickeymac92 wrote:I don't remember "wall jumping" being in the older AC games either.
Yeah, the older AC games had hardly any physical interaction with the scenery. It was limited to, either you can stand on it, or can't go through it, or you're hosed if you fall into it - and that was basically it. Wall jumping hasn't been in the game before. I like the idea of mobility requiring a little more thoughtful use of the terrain.

(EDIT): Shipped! XD
VR7

Online multiplayer is region-locked. Wait until March unless you don't like regional segregation.
Rough Translation wrote:Q: Can I face off with overseas players?
A: Because of the regional differences between the Japanese and foreign versions, you cannot play within the same hardware together.
Edit: I lied, it's a hard drive issue. That'll teach me to use SSD drives on a fat PS3.
Also, is it me or is there a problem with the game's music not working at all?

I've re-installed the game data a dozen times, downloaded the patch several times, even tried deleting the patch and running the barebones version of the game, no music at all. This also means that there is no audio in cutscenes other than character voices. The demo version had music and it worked just fine.
-noel
Turinu

So I've pre-ordered my copy of Armored Core V for the PS3, and can't wait to play with you guys. Been looking at some gameplay footage and am very amped. Thank god my birthday came around, otherwise I'd have to wait several months to save up enough money to get this game (And Mass Effect 3 and Tales of Graces F, which I also pre-ordered. XD)
VR7

Catalog 2 has been out for at least a day, does anyone know anything about what's in it? I have not seen any new parts or anything, nor has anyone talked about it on GameFAQs or the Japanese Armored Core wikis.

Seraphic, I (accidentally) lied to you about Pulse Machineguns in Armored Core V. Tune them for accuracy or firing rate and have a decently high energy output (like 5,000-6,000) and you have a powerful TE eating machine with minimal power drain.

I got the Japanese version of the game because I wanted it early, also because I can understand some Japanese. I didn't know that there would be regional segregation until after I got the game.

Generally AC4 and ACfA online was non-existent, ACV's online capability is actually far superior and much more intuitive. However, it's still a mech game, which doesn't exactly appeal to mainstream gamers.

More stuff about the game.
Spoiler
I already beat it, by the way. The main villains were Ali-Al Saachez and a nerdraging super nerd who used to be a part of your resistance team. The story is ridiculous and nonsensical, and ends with you facing off against an Aretha-like AC operated by Ali-Al Saachez who in this world is also the Hustler One of ACV, I guess.

I like that Autosighting is no longer necessary, unlike in AC4/ACfA. In fact, disabling Autosighting gives you way more control over your AC and won't ever have problems tracking enemy ACs with a decent FCS, unlike in AC4/ACfA where I basically used Autosighting all the way just to deal with intense quickboosting sessions.

The game is updated server-side with balance changes. They recently upped the power of standard rifles significantly, to the point that you could take out a tank AC with just rifles. Apparently booster drain was also reduced, and power output of generators was increased. They might do more balance changes depending on what they find turns out to be really broken online.

I don't like that reverse joint legs can quickboost upwards. I switched from a lightweight biped to reverse joints and now I can't look back because of how ridiculous vertical quickboosting is. I know that reverse joints in prior games have been about jumping ability but it wasn't anything significant before.

There are a lot of new weapons that weren't in previous games, while other weapons have been altered significantly. There are battle rifles, but those are basically linear rifles except there are more of them. Laser rifles, including the Karasawa, need to charge up for a while before firing. The damage from laser rifles is really underwhelming though, I haven't figured out how to make them effective yet.

New to ACV is jamming. You can jam FCS, scan mode, generator output and even control over one's AC entirely. Resistance to jamming is based on the type of chassis used, i.e. head parts might have something to do with control jamming resistance, etc.. Flash rockets, jammers and optical chaff are responsible for jamming.

Parry blades (now known as heat piles) are actually useful now. They do chemical damage and can really ruin a human pilot's day if their AC is weak against CE. Parry blades are a good backup weapon to have because they weigh so little and drain little to no energy--however they still use ammo. Making a melee-oriented AC is still not recommended though.

One of my favorite new weapons is the Kinetic Blade, which is actually not much better than the laser blade and is much harder to use; but it looks better than the laser blades in the game anyway. For it to do damage comparable to a laser blade, you need a lot of speed and you have to fire your blade early. Rather than your AC doing damage directly to the enemy, it is the act of dragging a high speed blade through an enemy that makes the kinetic blade effective.

Overed Weapons are extremely heavy and one-time use. Don't equip them unless you really want one, because you can't drop it afterwards. You use them by holding the Hangar Select button to activate the Overed Weapon, and then you charge it up and fire with RT/R2. Beating the game unlocks a few Overed Weapons, to get more of them you would have to defeat emergency mission bosses like giant fortresses and battleships, which are extremely difficult, way more difficult than even the final boss of the game.

The Japanese people are really creative when it comes to emblems. I made Otsdarva's emblem from ACfA, but other people are using some rather crazy stuff like Gym Ghingnham's manly face or a portrait of Tommy Lee Jones. It also means that the territories are dominated by loli teams.

You can ask me a ton of things and I bet I still wouldn't know everything about the game.
-noel
Toxicity

What do you make of the new armor/ammunition system? I've heard alot of grumbling about how many people feel it is just a dumb rock/paper/scissors gimmick that makes you depend too heavily on being lucky enough to have the proper counter to whatever you're fighting and that trying to build something balanced against all three types is pointless because your overall defense will be crap.