Question concerning the AMX-107 Bawoo.

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Ghost of Zeon

Question concerning the AMX-107 Bawoo.

The question I have is this:

Does the mass-production versions of the Bawoo (both Axis and Glemy Faction) have the ability to transform and use Attacker and Nutter?

It has been a long while since I've watched ZZ, and I don't quite remember if either one had the transformation abilities like Glemy's prototype did.
"Char Aznable says, 'Let the purge begin!'"
PowerdGNFlag

Re: Question concerning the AMX-107 Bawoo.

Well, since this is a Bawoo thread, I want to ask, what are the armaments of the Nutter/Natter? Most of the MS's handheld weapons are mounted in the Attacker, so I wonder if the Nutter merely serves as a distraction or something.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Gelgoog Jager

Ghost of Zeon:

Well, the HGUC model kits of both the prototype and mass production Bawoos have the transformation feature. Maybe you can find further confirmation on the text of their instruction manuals, whose scans you can find in dalong.net.

PowerdGNFlag:

I don't know if it can actually equip weapons and be used as a separate fighter, which doesn't sound likely if it is lacking a pilot. Again I would recommend trying to translate the information from the HGUC's manual.

I recall reading somewhere that the Bawoo Nutter could be used a large anti-ship missile, which I suppose could be the case since it should have its own powerplant which upon detonation should cause significant damage to a ship.

Just for comparison, in some of the first episodes of Victory Gundam, the Zolo, another MS that can separate into two components, would be separated and the "top" would be used to make attacks while the "bottom" would remain outside the battlefield, ready to be recalled in case it is needed. It should be mentioned that some of these "bottom" components actually had racks for storing the MS handheld weapons.

Finally, as an odd example, the Bawoo seen in the first episode of Gunpla Builders seems to be capable of controlling its Bawoo Nutter to the degree that it actually grabs the opponent (a Dom in this case) and holds him down, making it an easy prey for the Bawoo Attacker.
Evex

The Bawoo nutter doesn't carry any weapons on it. You can look at the fixed armament list of the Bawoo's ms mode, and see everything is mounted on the Bawoo Attacker when its in its transformed state. The Bawoo nutter can be remote controlled by the pilot in the Bawoo attacker, or in cases of high minovsky interference controlled by an on board AI. The move with the Bawoo in Gunpla Builders is an example of the nutter being controlled by the pilot, and not the AI. I would say that the mass production model still has its transformation system, since it was one of the things that made the Bawoo popular. Its also to note the Bawoo has two other units produced after the war in the AMX-107A Bawoo A, and the AMX-107AII Bawoo AII
Gelgoog Jager

Evex wrote:The move with the Bawoo in Gunpla Builders is an example of the nutter being controlled by the pilot, and not the AI.
As I said, Gunpla Builders is an odd case since it uses MS we are familiar with, but they aren't controlled the same way as the "real" version. To put it simple, we know that the "real" Hi-Nu Gundam uses a psychommu system to control its funnels, but in Gunpla Builders its the game's AI which controls the funnels. For all we know, the leg grappling move of the Bawoo Nutter is a one button attack. To add to the confusion, we don't even know which version of the HGUC Bawoo is used as the base model: Glemy's prototype with the remote control or the MP version with AI control.
Evex wrote:I would say that the mass production model still has its transformation system, since it was one of the things that made the Bawoo popular.
The HGUC kit and the idea of an early version using the remote control and a late version using an AI to control the Bawoo Nutter seems to support that idea.

However, I remember reading some discussions which doubted that based on the fact that no other Bawoo besides Glemy's unit is seen transformed in ZZ. This could be further supported by the notion that removing the costly transformation system would reduce costs, which would ease up mass production.

All that said, I'm still more inclined to think that the transformation system is still present in the MP version. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.
Evex wrote:Its also to note the Bawoo has two other units produced after the war in the AMX-107A Bawoo A, and the AMX-107AII Bawoo AII
These only appear in a fan doujinshi, so I wouldn't give them much credibility. Even if we were to consider them canon, I highly doubt that Neo Zeon remnants would have the capabilities to produce new models, particularly those earthbound. It would seem more likely for them to have a background similiar to the Gallus K from Unicorn: an obscure machine developed for the Earth Invasion during the First Neo Zeon War, which wasn't deployed in any important battle until years later.
Calubin_175

Japanese wikipedia mentions it was originally planned to have the transformation system scrapped due to the Minovsky interference which made the Bawoo Nutter remotely uncontrollable. The alternative of having two pilots had a labour supply issue. Later Glemy revisited the design concept and rectified it with some homing tracking device on the Bawoo Nutter as well as arming it with large missiles.

It did say that some sources may have mentioned the green colored mass production type had the transformation removed, but this is not absolute. Perhaps the old 1/144 kit was the source?

The HGUC manual and Minakawa's Gundam Encyclopedia made no mention of the transformation system being removed for the mass production type.
Gelgoog Jager

Calubin_175 wrote:Later Glemy revisited the design concept and rectified it with some homing tracking device on the Bawoo Nutter as well as arming it with large missiles.
Does it mention where or how were these missiles attached to the Bawoo Nutter?
Ghost of Zeon

So, basically it's up to personal interpretation on whether or not the MP versions do indeed have the transformation capabilities.

From what I gathered, Glemy's had a wireless remote control system for the Nutter, while his faction's(gray) version had an AI control it. The Axis version(green) may or may not have had the transformation system removed entirely. Otherwise it would be the same as the Glemy faction one.

Thanks for the answers.
"Char Aznable says, 'Let the purge begin!'"
Gelgoog Jager

Ghost of Zeon wrote:From what I gathered, Glemy's had a wireless remote control system for the Nutter, while his faction's(gray) version had an AI control it. The Axis version(green) may or may not have had the transformation system removed entirely. Otherwise it would be the same as the Glemy faction one.
The green Bawoos and the gray ones used by Glemy's faction are identical machines. In fact we do see a couple of green Bawoos defending the Sandra before Glemy's forces fall back to Axis, where we see that many of his forces MS are still being repainted, including at least one Bawoo. Either way, only Glemy's personal unit is seen transforming in ZZ.