The Official Gundam 00 Season 1 Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

I don't understand the new release formula. 9 episodes per box? How will they ever make these "collections" equal or even whole? 9 + 9 = 18 or (more likely) 9 + 8 = 17, so neither traditional scheme would make up a "First Season Part 1 & 2." And, if another "collection" was added, it would either be really short or dip into Season 2. What's the long-term plan with something like this?

Plus, I'd much rather have a BGM and/or Theme Song OST than a manga as an extra. I'm just a little surprised.

Considering there wasn't tons of scenes/episodes I was excited by in Season 1 (and the season as a whole story didn't gel the greatest for me), I'm going to have to think more carefully about what's the best way to get the best of this series in this release schedule. Maybe it will be better with these oddly numbered collections, maybe not. For now, I think I'll hold off.
Sume Gai

the boxes will likely be the same as Geass in that you'll have three parts per season with the first part being 9 episodes and the next two being 8 episodes.

don't count out OSTs just yet they will likely show up in one of the SEs.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Chris
Administrator

LightningCount wrote:I don't understand the new release formula. 9 episodes per box? How will they ever make these "collections" equal or even whole? 9 + 9 = 18 or (more likely) 9 + 8 = 17, so neither traditional scheme would make up a "First Season Part 1 & 2." And, if another "collection" was added, it would either be really short or dip into Season 2. What's the long-term plan with something like this?
I don't know what's so hard to understand about it. Bandai releases it in three parts to cover the first season, just as they did with Code Geass.
LightningCount wrote:For now, I think I'll hold off.
Seeing as how you had a litany of complaints for practically every single episode of season 1, I don't know why you'd want to waste your money on 00.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
LightningCount

Chris wrote:
LightningCount wrote:I don't understand the new release formula...
I don't know what's so hard to understand about it. Bandai releases it in three parts to cover the first season, just as they did with Code Geass.
Fair enough. Makes somewhat more sense now.
Chris wrote:
LightningCount wrote:For now, I think I'll hold off.
Seeing as how you had a litany of complaints for practically every single episode of season 1, I don't know why you'd want to waste your money on 00.
Yes, I had my share of [comments]. There were moments of panache, though--especially early on in the first few episodes--so cherry-picking might not be such a bad idea in my case. Presumably, individual releases will follow these "collections" that will allow for that option.

By the way, to anyone interested, the images of the new DVDs are up here:
STANDARD: http://www.rightstuf.com/items/2009-03/ ... v80427.jpg

SPECIAL EDITION: http://www.rightstuf.com/items/2009-03/ ... v80430.jpg
NastyNate

Re: The Official Gundam 00 Season 1 Thread Mk I

How could Saji leave Louis after she was in the hospital?!!!!! Especially after his sister died, he needed her even more.
Spoiler
That was one of the biggest things that drove me nuts about season 2 was how saji and louis where seperated. At least it works out in the end but I am rewatching the show and feel just as upset about that part of season 1 when saji lets her go.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
SonicSP

Didn't she ask him to leave so he can study and follow his dreams of becoming a space engineer?
Sinquser

NastyNate wrote:How could Saji leave Louis after she was in the hospital?!!!!! Especially after his sister died, he needed her even more.
Spoiler
That was one of the biggest things that drove me nuts about season 2 was how saji and louis where seperated. At least it works out in the end but I am rewatching the show and feel just as upset about that part of season 1 when saji lets her go.
The guy is a bit of wishy-washy. He left Louise and wanted to think that everything will just be fine. He just thought as long as he kept his promise to her, she's going to live another day and have reason to continue moving on.
NastyNate

SonicSP wrote:Didn't she ask him to leave so he can study and follow his dreams of becoming a space engineer?
That is what she said but it was obvious she wanted him to stay. And why couldn't he bring her back to japan and they both finish their degrees? Her family had a lot of money so she could have afforded an apartment and tuition on her own.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
JustInTime

NastyNate wrote:How could Saji leave Louis after she was in the hospital?!!!!! Especially after his sister died, he needed her even more.
Spoiler
I always thought that saji would amount to something more. I thought for sure that he was going to pilot a mobile suit with as much screen time he had. I would not take his relationships to seriously.
"Our spirits are aflame. Can we see the fire, there is nothing that we cannot defeat. And now this hand of mine is burning red. Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!"
Domon Kasshu
HellCat

Louise basically had no heart for studies after what had happened. This gets explored in season 2 but telling him to leave was a courtesy that hurt her. She needed someone at that time but out of love pushed him away so that he could make something of his life. By the time they meet again 4 years later, her desire for revenge combined with Ribbons brainwashing has made her obsessed with nothing less then destroying the Gundams. A part of her still wants to have a life with Saji but there are too many negative emotions weighing her down.

Personally, I found it fairly credible. When the episode premiered I was amazed they'd actually do this to Louise and the aftermath seen in the resulting episodes feels true to life. As the audience of fiction, we have a vantage point that the characters lack. We can view things emotionally unattached or out of sequence. For me, the plotline brought up all the negative memories I had of when a relative died and such. Both their heads were swimming and they were still only teenagers. I doubt Saji wanted to go either but when the girl you love has had her life destroyed and then asks you to do the one thing that will make her happy, what can you do?
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Quiddity

Just wrapped up Gundam 00 season 1 for the first time within the last couple of days and thought I'd share my thoughts. Figured it would work better to bump the old thread than do a whole new one.

This is a show I have put off for years and years and now that I've finally watched it I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did (admittingly part of that was waiting for Gundam Info to have the episodes up). I thought the show was fairly good early on, but really picked up steam around episode 15 or 16 and was a lot of excitement that never let up the rest of the way. I think it being in the 2 season format instead of a standard 50 episode show probably helped a lot here as it forced them to move towards a climax for episode 25 rather than being able to coast for a while.

The sheer number of characters and factions in this show was beyond the point of absurdity; I did like the complexity and size of the universe, but at the same time I do think some characters couldn't get as much time as they should have if the cast had been a little smaller. For example Graham Aker. Nina Trinity kinda fell off the map after her brothers got killed instead of getting a conclusion. And Alejandro/Ribbons seemed to pop up in virtually every episode but until later in the series it always seemed like just a small cameo. Saji Crossroad's role in the show seemed a bit much as they just appeared to really just use him to show the negative effect of war on a civilian, although it seems like he'll be in a more important role in season 2.

Kudos to them for killing off one of the main Gundam pilots in Lockon, although being 3 episodes into season 2 their follow up to that is kinda frustrating (to be fair it was at least hinted at in season 1). Some other good plot twists as well. Mecha designs were decent, and the fights tended to usually be quite good, including showing the Gundam pilots overwhelmed and forced to retreat at times, something you don't tend to get with say the Gundam Wing Boys or Kira Yamato.

Really looking forward to going through season 2. I hope it keeps the same level of quality that the latter part of season 1 did. Hard to believe after what may have been Gundam's darkest hour with Gundam Seed Destiny they turned around with such a good show with the next one.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Admiral Larsen

Quiddity wrote:Just wrapped up Gundam 00 season 1 for the first time within the last couple of days and thought I'd share my thoughts. Figured it would work better to bump the old thread than do a whole new one.

This is a show I have put off for years and years and now that I've finally watched it I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did (admittingly part of that was waiting for Gundam Info to have the episodes up). I thought the show was fairly good early on, but really picked up steam around episode 15 or 16 and was a lot of excitement that never let up the rest of the way. I think it being in the 2 season format instead of a standard 50 episode show probably helped a lot here as it forced them to move towards a climax for episode 25 rather than being able to coast for a while.

The sheer number of characters and factions in this show was beyond the point of absurdity; I did like the complexity and size of the universe, but at the same time I do think some characters couldn't get as much time as they should have if the cast had been a little smaller. For example Graham Aker. Nina Trinity kinda fell off the map after her brothers got killed instead of getting a conclusion. And Alejandro/Ribbons seemed to pop up in virtually every episode but until later in the series it always seemed like just a small cameo. Saji Crossroad's role in the show seemed a bit much as they just appeared to really just use him to show the negative effect of war on a civilian, although it seems like he'll be in a more important role in season 2.

Kudos to them for killing off one of the main Gundam pilots in Lockon, although being 3 episodes into season 2 their follow up to that is kinda frustrating (to be fair it was at least hinted at in season 1). Some other good plot twists as well. Mecha designs were decent, and the fights tended to usually be quite good, including showing the Gundam pilots overwhelmed and forced to retreat at times, something you don't tend to get with say the Gundam Wing Boys or Kira Yamato.

Really looking forward to going through season 2. I hope it keeps the same level of quality that the latter part of season 1 did. Hard to believe after what may have been Gundam's darkest hour with Gundam Seed Destiny they turned around with such a good show with the next one.
If you like Season 1, season 2 may sour your opinion of Gundam 00 a bit due to some things that they do (with one or two of them being on the same level of Gundam SEED Destiny). However overall compared to the darkest hour that you used (of which I fully agree and still show the "scars"' from that time) I will mostly take my chances with season 2 than go through that nightmare.
BrentD15

Admiral Larsen wrote:
Quiddity wrote:Just wrapped up Gundam 00 season 1 for the first time within the last couple of days and thought I'd share my thoughts. Figured it would work better to bump the old thread than do a whole new one.

If you like Season 1, season 2 may sour your opinion of Gundam 00 a bit due to some things that they do (with one or two of them being on the same level of Gundam SEED Destiny). However overall compared to the darkest hour that you used (of which I fully agree and still show the "scars"' from that time) I will mostly take my chances with season 2 than go through that nightmare.
I kinda agree.
While Season 2 was still very good, it could've been even better (especially considering some elements of "What could have been..."). :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Quiddity

Ugh, kinda wish I didn't see that, now I'll be awaiting for some mega blunder to come. Already half way through season 2 (through ep 13) and its been a fairly strong to this point, with only one big complaint, but I will admit got stuff to worry about. I'll put it in spoilers since this is the season 1 thread
Spoiler
My big complaint is that Soma has kinda just sat there and done nothing since episode 7. Soma - Sergei was my favorite pair in the show and they break that up to give us Soma - Allelujah, and I'm thinking at the very least she'll become another mobile suit pilot for the Ptolemais but they haven't done anything with her and any romance with Allelujah hasn't been touched on in a while either. They probably would have been better served saving this until later if they weren't going to do anything with her.

The big worry I have is how in the world they'll be able to resolve all these characters in the final 12 episodes, especially as they still seem to be in a mode of introducing even more new characters, with all the Innovator characters we've gotten, the new character with Sergei at the end of the episode, etc... You gotta hope we get some sort of resolution for each of the 4 main pilots. Plus Sumeragi - Billy - Kati. Graham Aker/Mr. Bushido and Ali Al Sanchez gotta factor in somehow. You've got Ribbons and all those Innovators who have to be defeated. Saji's got to play some factor in the end other than just being a pathetic loser to laugh at. Wang has been there as this mysterious character for the entire series, they gotta do something with her to show that she had value in being in the show. Gotta resolve Nina Trinity somehow. Can't forget Marina. They still must have something planned for Sergei since he keeps appearing and they introduced a new character with him. I could probably go on for at least 10 more characters. Are they really going to have time to properly resolve all of this? I definitely worry!
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
BrentD15

Quiddity wrote:Ugh, kinda wish I didn't see that, now I'll be awaiting for some mega blunder to come. Already half way through season 2 (through ep 13) and its been a fairly strong to this point, with only one big complaint, but I will admit got stuff to worry about. I'll put it in spoilers since this is the season 1 thread
Spoiler
My big complaint is that Soma has kinda just sat there and done nothing since episode 7. Soma - Sergei was my favorite pair in the show and they break that up to give us Soma - Allelujah, and I'm thinking at the very least she'll become another mobile suit pilot for the Ptolemais but they haven't done anything with her and any romance with Allelujah hasn't been touched on in a while either. They probably would have been better served saving this until later if they weren't going to do anything with her.

The big worry I have is how in the world they'll be able to resolve all these characters in the final 12 episodes, especially as they still seem to be in a mode of introducing even more new characters, with all the Innovator characters we've gotten, the new character with Sergei at the end of the episode, etc... You gotta hope we get some sort of resolution for each of the 4 main pilots. Plus Sumeragi - Billy - Kati. Graham Aker/Mr. Bushido and Ali Al Sanchez gotta factor in somehow. You've got Ribbons and all those Innovators who have to be defeated. Saji's got to play some factor in the end other than just being a pathetic loser to laugh at. Wang has been there as this mysterious character for the entire series, they gotta do something with her to show that she had value in being in the show. Gotta resolve Nina Trinity somehow. Can't forget Marina. They still must have something planned for Sergei since he keeps appearing and they introduced a new character with him. I could probably go on for at least 10 more characters. Are they really going to have time to properly resolve all of this? I definitely worry!
Yeah, I think that's kinda the problem with Season 2: too many characters, not enough time.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
M-308 Gunner

I actually am in the exact same boat as Quiddity (it's a small boat, did you see me over here? ;) ). I finished up season one of 00 last week and I'm about five eps into season two.

I've never watched SEED but I am very familiar with the characters and mecha thanks to SRW. I don't really like the mech design in SEED (far too many wings, swords, and thrusters), and 00 feels like a great contrast to that.

I very much enjoyed the tense battles and the arms race of the other nations trying to keep up with Celestial Being. I'm not sure if season 2 will be able to match that tension since it starts with everyone on the same playing field - but no spoilers, please.

Also I was a big fan of the non-Gundam mecha, especially the Flags and the Tierens.
LightningCount

Here's my view, for what it's worth:

I'm not sure that any Gundam TV show since Gundam 00 Season 1 has been as good as Gundam 00 Season 1. That said, Season 1 was a little uneven because it had to cram everything into 25 episodes. Episode 1-15 were the most consistent, and the season had a great ending; but some of the subplots in between weren't as effective as they could have been. I would have liked more one-on-one time with the pilots getting involved in various situations, especially some tense intrigue between Lockon and his brother, and some more time with people like Graham. There was so much to explore in that complex tri-polar world...

Now, no real spoilers, but once we get to Season 2, I felt the series went from something "fairly special" to something "average." For whatever reason--perhaps fan or management feedback?--the plot started to bend over backward to try to include more predictable, traditional Gundam elements, when the whole premise of Gundam 00 was to be a different kind of Gundam experience. A series about "gray" areas in a complex world gradually becomes too "black and white, good and evil" in tone. In addition, it quickly undoes a lot of what made Season 1's conclusion meaningful. There are some good ideas and episodes in Season 2, but they're overpowered by a rushed pacing, and an odd need to revisit certain elements which were already closed off well in Season 1 or elements that are put in simply to give it a more typical "Gundam" flavor. So much does this become the case, that several of the unresolved plots from Season 1 become sandwiched in with less than satisfying screen time and/or conclusions. Right away, and it's no spoiler, the Observers have been wiped away off camera between seasons, which is one of many compounding annoyances to come.

I found Season 2 to be frustrating, but also rather boring. I stopped caring as it seemed to make big jumps in logic and conflict to get its story told in 25 episodes; too much felt forced and/or under-developed. (I actually found some of Gundam SEED Destiny to be more enjoyable/compelling than Season 2.) As it is, I think each season needed more episodes, personally. Also, the mechanical designs for Season 2 are not as interesting as Season 1 (which were amazing); but then, I can understand how it might be overwhelming to animate such complex designs.

For what it's worth, Gundam 00: A Wakening of the Trailblazer (the sequel movie), justifies Season 2's existence to some extent, even if it can't redeem it. The movie patches up a few things, and I like it better than Season 2; but it can't fully save the 00 franchise as a whole. As such, in my mind, I basically consider Gundam 00 to be Season 1, and that's about it.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Quiddity

I'll admit I haven't done any deep analysis or assessment yet, but I'm loving Gundam 00 season 2 and finding it just as good as season 1 (through episode 20 now). They have at least somewhat patched up my biggest complaint and we'll see how they go with that the rest of the way. I would agree that we are seeing some more traditional Gundam elements now -
Spoiler
The super weapon, Memento Mori, and I will say it was extremely annoying to see them spend an episode destroying it then revealing 3 or 4 episodes later that there was a second one.
I hardly noticed that they got rid of the Observers and didn't really care as they were only in like what, 2 episodes in season 1? Hasn't impacted the quality at all to me.

I've hardly ever found it boring, and think the pace has for the most part been on the breakneck pace we got in the latter part of season 2 although
Spoiler
Almost all time spent on Marina Ismael has been rather "eh" to me; I get that she's supposed to be set up as a love interest for Setsuna but we see her so often and she hardly ever accomplishes much.
I still wonder how in the world they can wrap all this up in the remaining 5 episodes though. Will summarize my thoughts once its all over.
BrentD15

I think I can say this with confidence for 00S2:
Spoiler
For whatever reason, they kept Ali around from Season 1, and did virtually nothing with him in Season 2.
It's almost as if that if he did die during S1, we wouldn't have missed out on anything for S2.
LightningCount

BrentD15 wrote:I think I can say this with confidence for 00S2:
Spoiler
For whatever reason, they kept Ali around from Season 1, and did virtually nothing with him in Season 2.
It's almost as if that if he did die during S1, we wouldn't have missed out on anything for S2.
In my view, you are correct, sir. That's one of those things I was talking about above when I said about Season 2 that it had:
"...an odd need to revisit certain elements which were already closed off well in Season 1"
Quiddity wrote:
Spoiler
Almost all time spent on Marina Ismael has been rather "eh" to me; I get that she's supposed to be set up as a love interest for Setsuna but we see her so often and she hardly ever accomplishes much.
I still wonder how in the world they can wrap all this up in the remaining 5 episodes though. Will summarize my thoughts once its all over.
I agree about your thoughts on that character. I could say more, but I don't want to get into spoilers, and I want you to give us your own opinion on things. And for further closure after these five episodes, as I'm sure you're aware, there is an "Endless Waltz-style" movie sequel to wrap the 00 story up.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone