GM III are there Two Types???

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
CloudFF7

GM III are there Two Types???

There is something I have been confused about, are there two epuipment setups for the GM III, the ones seen in ZZ, CCA and Unicorn episode 2 have black "knee" components, but the one seen in the beginning of Unicorn episode 4 has bigger white "knee" components(the same that the Nouvel GM III in Sentinel has), what purpose do these "knees" serve and what is difference between the two types?
Ryujin

Re: GM III are there Two Types???

As far as Gundam Sentinel is concerned, the lineart in the book labels these large knee components as some sort of 'Amplifier Aider.'
JEFFPIATT

I always just assumed that they were boxes to accommodate the newer joint shocks needed for the mk2 backpack.
Evex

According to the Nouvel GM III technical and historical notes on the sight. The original RGM-86R is created by upgrading existing GM II units. I assume this is in a similar fashion to how older GM models were upgraded to the GM II. The Nouvel GM III is a completely new machine. It has a higher generator output and a newer head design that allows for more vulcans and advance sensors. Its profile says after the original gryps conflict the AEUG stops production of the Nemo, and instead adopts the Nouvel GM III as its main mobile suit. As for the box units I'm guessing they have something to do with the verniers in the front portion of the suits leg.
fahentai

Well, as it mentioned above, the noramal GMIII(RGM-86R) is an upgraded version of GMII and the nouvel GMIII(the code is still RGM-86R) is a new built ms.
As far as I know, the back groud of the development of GMIII is that 1st, by that time, the EF's mobile suit is out of time compare with Axies' (think about poor GMII) so that EF needs some new ms that can match Axies'. 2ed, EF has many GMII left. Therefore, upgrade the exsiting GMII into GMIII is a methord that can extend GMII's service life and make it possible to fight against Axies' ms. Therefore, we can consider that GMIII(original) is in fact a emergency-sloving product of the EF.
Nevertheless, Nouvel GMIII is not like that, it is totally new built MS.
Compare with the data, we can find that though Nouvel GMIII's max acceleration is 1.19, which is almost 0.3G lower than normal GMIII but it has 2 more vernier thrusters so it is reasonable to believe that it has better maneuverability. And also, it can equip missile launchers to make it multi-tasks mobile suit. Due to that, I guess its design concept is more like the RGM-89 Jegan, which is next generation mobile suit compare with GMIII.
Sorry for my fuxked up English...But I am just an international student in Au from China. If my words makes you guys confused, let me know.I will explain it.
Gelgoog Jager

fahentai wrote: And also, it can equip missile launchers to make it multi-tasks mobile suit. Due to that, I guess its design concept is more like the RGM-89 Jegan, which is next generation mobile suit compare with GMIII.
The standard GM III can also equip both missile and rocket launchers. In fact, the Nouvel GM III's profile doesn't include the optional 15-tube small missile pod among its weapons (though to be fair, I don't actually recall an instance where any type of GM III is actually seen equipped with that particular weapon).
JEFFPIATT

the white kneed gm III units seem to be an silent verient. those could be new built models to the older body style to hide the fact that they share parts with the Novel model.