DG2099's First Impressions and Comparisons: Golion!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DuelGundam2099

DG2099's First Impressions and Comparisons: Golion!

Before anyone asks, yes, I am basing this on Burke's topics. Burke, I apologize, but I want to at least see if I can do something similar. :P

Long ago in the early 80s there was some obscure company named World Events Productions that attempted to syndicate anime for the US by trying to buy the rights to Future Robo Daltanious. However, because of miscommunication and a lack of knowing robot names, Toei instead gave this company clips of Golion, which the company liked more. Why we don't know, maybe Golion is a better show, maybe Daltanious is awful, maybe the company did not have much appreciation for the late Tadao Nagahama's works. Whatever the reason, Golion was re-edited to fit US standards and became the mid-80s smash hit of Voltron: Defender of The Universe. Technically there were also two other robot shows that are obscure even by mech fan standards, but that is not for here.

No, what I, DuelGundam2099, am going to do is take on the original uncut series and compare it to my memories of Voltron both when I was a kid and when it aired on Boomerang a couple years back. I decided to do this as someone that liked the syndicated series as his introduction to super robots, someone that has seen most of the 70s mecha anime and has understood the genre's history quite well, and as that one guy on Wikipedia that lists and fixes monsters of the week with their episode appearances and powers because someone has to do it. Quit starring. Now.

So yeah, I'll start on it this weekend and will look forward to any thoughts you guys may have. 8)
Mu La Flaga

Re: DG2099's First Impressions and Comparisons: Golion!

I would like to ask.
Did one of my recent Gundamn Mailbaf entries kind of inspire you in part?
Mu La Flaga

Opps, well I meant Gundamn@MAHQ.
But anyway I mentioned that in like a mailbag it was something I asked there, so I was kind of assuming maybe you listened to it.

To me funny thing is, I've seen both Voltron series, I may one day look in to GoLion and Dairugger 15.
Would like to see the differences.
DuelGundam2099

To be honest I've never even listened to a podcast, so no I didn't get this idea from you. :lol: