Code Geass: Akito the Exiled

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
hellbore

Re: New Code Geass Project

quasadra wrote:"404 error, page not found"

oookay....

*back to sleep*
Copy and paste the link. It still tells us almost nothing
On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
toysdream wrote:I've always been partial to the Big Cloud of Balls
quasadra

bleh, i am going in into hibernation. dont worry, i will wake up when the time is right.

guess we can hail Britannia for the time being.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
LightningCount

Sorry if this has been noted elsewhere, but here are very recent CG updates:

Jan 8th--Latest Footage coming to Blu-ray/DVD
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ril-bd/dvd

Jan 6th--New Animation and Musical Stage project: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... considered
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
DuelGundam2099

Alright, it has been two years and we finally have been getting news of this up the anty; amazingly no one here cares enough to so much as bump this topic until today. What a shame and I find the franchise sort of over rated (although this new gaiden has potential).

*crosses fingers for a Guren Mark 1*
wielder

I don't think it's that people don't care...there was simply nothing worth reporting.

In any case...I believe Code Geass is certainly overrated by everyone who goes around giving it a 10/10 score, because the series did have a number of flaws and problems. At the same time, the property also gets more hate than it deserves, in my opinion, so the truth is somewhere in between as far a I'm concerned.

I still enjoyed most of it and the upcoming projects, especially the Akito side story and the potential movie remake, sound rather interesting after today's update. The other stuff...eh, it's just not for me.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
AmuroNT1

Code Geass is quite simply a polarizing series. The people who like it really like it, and the people who hate it nitpicked every flaw and gleefully shouted "TRAINWRECK!" whenever a plot twist they hated came along. I enjoyed it in spite of its flaws, personally.

Anyhow, all the new info mentioned before...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... his-summer
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... e-revealed
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... -male-cast
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... iled-theme
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... lm-project
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... o-streamed

I'm kind of disappointed that the stage play isn't a musical; you've gotta admit, that would have been pretty damn hilarious.

EDIT: Also, it looks like Robot Damashi reveals two more KMFs from Akito: the Byakka (White Flame) and Lancelot Grail, which amusingly enough uses elements of the preliminary Lancelot design.

http://mecha-guy.blogspot.com/2012/01/r ... e-kmf.html
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Dark Duel

Oh, that looks like it's gonna be fun. It's unfortunate that honestly, the chances of this getting ported stateside are IMO slim to none, given recent events.
But it looks like a fun movie.
The jazzy saxophone background music to me gave off strong vibes of Bebop (which is not altogether suprising, given Yoko Kanno's involvement), and I'm rather looking forward to hearing the theme song as well - Yakusoku wa Iranai was a nice song, and I'm rather eager to hear what Kanno comes up with this time around.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
balofo

AmuroNT1 wrote:Code Geass is quite simply a polarizing series. The people who like it really like it, and the people who hate it nitpicked every flaw and gleefully shouted "TRAINWRECK!" whenever a plot twist they hated came along. I enjoyed it in spite of its flaws, personally.

Anyhow, all the new info mentioned before...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... his-summer
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... e-revealed
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... -male-cast
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... iled-theme
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... lm-project
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... o-streamed

I'm kind of disappointed that the stage play isn't a musical; you've gotta admit, that would have been pretty damn hilarious.

EDIT: Also, it looks like Robot Damashi reveals two more KMFs from Akito: the Byakka (White Flame) and Lancelot Grail, which amusingly enough uses elements of the preliminary Lancelot design.

http://mecha-guy.blogspot.com/2012/01/r ... e-kmf.html
Those two KMF aren't from Akito but from the new KMF variations series:

The official English title for Soubou no Oz is "Code Geass: OZ The Reflection".

It is a parallel project that will run in both Hobby Japan and Newtype Ace. The Hobby Japan project is a photo story (text + photos) about a terrorist youth who wants revenge against the death of his lover. The Newtype Ace project is a manga about a member of the anti-terror knight force that has to hunt him down. The mecha featured in both stories will also be released under the Robot Damashii brand.

The KMF designs will be mainly by Eiji Nakata.
Calubin_175

So it is also expanding via manga and hobby magazine photo story. It appears that the Damashii line has pretty close ties with the Hobby Japan photostories, except for the current Gundam Beginnings. They did release a lot of the 00s2 MSVs.

The Hakuen and Lancelot Grail don't look like minor directional specialty MSVs, but more like complete overhauls of their original concept models(Guren and Lancelot). Maybe, it will take place after the events of R2.
teslashark

Nunnaly in Wonderland... I wanna phone American McGee and Tim Burton. Anyone else?
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Calubin_175

http://jul.2chan.net/zip/2/src/1326573230520.jpg

It appears the Newtype Ace work will feature the Lancelot Grail and its pilot "Aldrin Zivon"(female), while Hobby Japan's photo novel will involve "Alpheus Zivon" and his Hakuen.

Can't tell if it is post Lelouch Britannia or not. Most likely the Hakuen will be based on the data of the captured Guren MK-II.
AmuroNT1

teslashark: You ARE aware that the concept of Alice in Wonderland originated long before either of those men were born, don't you?

I'm kinda confused at everyone wondering if these stories will be "post-Lelouch"; I think the end of the anime pretty well showed that there's no room for any stories of conflict after Zero Requiem (unless you go out on a limb and interpret Kallen's "It's not perfect, but we're trying" to mean there's still war). I'm pretty sure KMFV will either take place "off to the left" of the anime (like 08th MS Team) or during the one-year time gap (like Akito).
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Dark Duel

The Lancelot Grail is really cool-looking looking, especially in how its head is almost Vincent-esque and how it's clearly based on the early "red Lancelot" design from that magazine scan. It'd look a lot better IMO without all that kibble hanging off its back though.
The Hakuren (or w/e it's called) is kinda interesting. Its one big horn reminds me a bit of the Lancelot Club. Reminds me I actually had a custom white Guren on an RPG that I called that. :D
AmuroNT1 wrote:I'm kinda confused at everyone wondering if these stories will be "post-Lelouch"; I think the end of the anime pretty well showed that there's no room for any stories of conflict after Zero Requiem (unless you go out on a limb and interpret Kallen's "It's not perfect, but we're trying" to mean there's still war)
I think that is certainly something that's possible, given that Wing/EW got a sequel in spite of the unambiguous "mobile suits, including the Gundams, were never seen again" (or w/e it was) from the end of the movie narration.
Kallen's statement at the end of Code Geass is certainly more open-ended than that was, so it's not entirely out of the question.

...I really need to watch that show again.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

The Wyvern Has Landed was amazing. I have to admit, I was a little nervous about a new Code Geass project without Lelouch and the main cast (at least at first). After all, part of the reason I watched Code Geass was FOR Lelouch, however, the new cast is interesting and pretty damn awesome.

Leilia is a great commander and pretty kick ass and I mean that literally (but with a messed up home life), and Akito is absolutely insane when it comes to combat.

And the combat in this OVA is beautiful, as are the tracks they used. I personally enjoyed the crazy jazz music they used (it is the track from the trailer) in some of the combat scenes. Over all, I am surprised this wasn't getting that much hype. It doesn't seem like many people are interested in Akito the Exiled...I mean I had to dig to find this thread (which really should be changed to Akito the Exiled Discussion Thread)

Anyway it was a very good and solid first episode in the 4 part OVA. I am looking forward to more! Especially
Spoiler
after the preview for the next episode in which it looks like Suzaku and C.C get a guest appearance.
Oh and in case there is any confusion still, Akito the Exiled takes place between R1 and R2, dealing with the conflict between Britiannia and the EU...which we all know doesn't end well for the EU considering they are conquered during R2.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Dark Duel

I pretty much agree with everything already stated above, and I also want to add one thing:
The Alexander.
Spoiler
First, I found it kind of interesting that in spite of its strange design it didn't really seem too particularly superior to previous-generation units (unlike how the series portrayed, for instance, the Lancelot as some kind of über-instapwnbot that could effortlessly curb-stomp any previous-generation unit), given that a whole bunch of them got sent out, and the only way any of them except Akito's unit actually took out any enemy machines was by self-detonating.
Second, that whole "insect"-looking configuration was friggin' creepy.
Third, TONFAS FTW.
As for Akito himself...yeah, he's pretty clearly a head case. And yet, he's awesome.
Spoiler
By the way, that entire sequence in the graveyard had me going "Okaaay, so he sees dead people...Sixth Sense much?"
As for the rest...other than that one kid being completely friggin' nuts, I'll reserve judgement until Ep2.

Red Comet90

I just got to see the first episode and I have to say that it was awesome! I wasn't expecting much out of this, but so far we have a pretty solid character in Leila which really surprised me. Even though the series is named Akito, it feels like Leila is the real protagonist here and so far she's been a really cool character. Usually women in mecha shows do nothing and just sit in the background. It was nice to see a female protagonist right in the front of things and being a B.A.

The transition to CG left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The action sequences were great, but I just hate how CG moves. It just doesn't look natural at all. Its also hard to follow for me in this OVA or it could have been the weird lighting effects they had going on in that battle at the beginning.

I'm completely confused about why they keep mentioning Hannibal's Ghost and Napoleon. There might be some connection with Napoleon going on with that terrorist pilot Leila recruits at the end since he calls himself Napoleon in his Knightmare frame. Hopefully they actually bother to explain how it all ties in before it ends. Can't wait for the next episode.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
DuelGundam2099

Eh.

What? That is all I have for part 1 in a nut shell. Nothing bad, nothing super amazing, nothing bland, just eh. Alright I'll be more descriptive:

How neat were ALL TWO fight scenes? The whole time I thought to myself that I could not tell whether the action was ripping off Aquarion or Linebarrels of Iron. Maybe Macross Frontier? The knightmare frames are still not much, they are still my least favorite anime mecha, but I will give them credit for trying something new even if spider crawling Alexanders came off as weird. Akito himself is....... Um...... Err....... ? I have nothing. Pretty boy version of Chirico Cuvie maybe? I would have liked this more if they explained A) Why did the Japanese go to France of all places (countries like China, Thailand, Russia, and India were not conquered at this point and they are much closer) and B) Why is the EU, or at least France, racist? Britannia being racist makes sense for subduing the enemy/making them inferior, but why France? It just comes off as forced, they could have at least said the citizens were xenophobic or something. As for the music, like the series I did not like it except for the ending theme this time, which was well done. Xin looks like he has potential although I doubt he could be Khamen Khamen good in three movies.

And then there is Leila Malcal....... Truthfully I was nervous with her because I had no idea if she would be Kallen 2.0 or extremely annoying in some other fashion; not to mention she is voice by my favorite anime voice actress (and if any of you comment on that there is a giant getter tomahawk with your name on it). My thoughts....... As it turns out I was one hundred percent
Spoiler
wrong. No, really, she turned out to be great and I do look forward to what she has to offer for these movies. My only complain is that I cannot tell if her eyes are suppose to be dark blue or purple (indigo maybe?). For some reason her hair reminds me of Asuka from Evangelion and Fram from Gundam Age.
AmuroNT1

I'm saving my thoughts for Gundamn, but I thought the first episode was pretty good.

Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I always knew that the CG battles would be a hit or miss...they always are in anime. People either enjoy them or find it weird to watch. I personally liked it because of how fluid and smooth the battles were, and I think the action will be more clear with the release of the DVD and in HD, however I was able to follow everything that was going on really easily...

I don't understand what you are saying DG2099, just because a show has CGI mecha doesn't mean they are copying Aquarion or Lineburrels of Iron. The way the battles are directed are completely differently in all three of those series. Star Wars and Star Trek both have computer generated ships in space, but they are completely different. Besides, what was so wrong with the 2 battles? Did you not like the number of battles or how they were directed? Or was it the lighting? Or was it the CGI? Again, Code Geass has always been more about the politics for me (and awesome characters) then mecha punching each other.
DuelGundam2099 wrote: I would have liked this more if they explained A) Why did the Japanese go to France of all places (countries like China, Thailand, Russia, and India were not conquered at this point and they are much closer) and B) Why is the EU, or at least France, racist? Britannia being racist makes sense for subduing the enemy/making them inferior, but why France? It just comes off as forced, they could have at least said the citizens were xenophobic or something.
The reason the Japanese went to France (and the EU in general) is because they had no where else to go. Remember in R2 how the Chinese government treated their people like crap? Most of the other places were either under Britiannian control or were GOING to be under control. It makes perfect sense to me that refugees would try to go to the heart of the EU. I had a choice between France and Russia, I would pick France.

As for B, what countries are ever open to accepting a mass number of people who are exiled and fled their country (which isn't even a country anymore)? Sure you can say it is the right thing to do, but when has that ever effected politics?! These people are mouths to feed and you aren't even getting anything in return, but house BRITANNIA'S (a superpowers) enemies. Obviously they see them as second class citizens, it is only natural...they don't belong in the EU, but they can't go back to their homeland because...it isn't a homeland anymore.

Obviously, they can expand on the racism a little more...but to be honest, I thought it made perfect sense if you thought about it. Code Geass has always been on the allegorical side, and if you think about how countries act today, to how countries react in the anime, well...their actions do make sense. In kind of a horrible way...but I am straying WAY to close to politics, so i will stop.

And as for the Hannibal and Napoleon Ghost references, I kind of liked them. They were nice little pieces of Europe's history, and I think they were simply there for comparisons sake and comparing countries and characters actions. But who knows? There could be something more to that. I may rewatch it again, just to rethink on all of this.

And at the very least everyone here seems to agree at that Leila is for the win (and I agree that she seems to be more the main character than anything else), also she might have the biggest douchebag of a "brother" since Herotic Age
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
DuelGundam2099

The way the battles are directed are completely differently in all three of those series.
The Alexander was moving around very flexibly and fast, something both of those series had quite a bit of in close combat scenes. Since few other mecha anime have CG scenes like that the comparison came to mind. I also have to admit that the CGI was well done, not Aquarion or Evol good, but compared to SRW Divine Wars.... Yeah.
Besides, what was so wrong with the 2 battles?
Nothing was wrong with the first one. The second one did feel too short.
Sure you can say it is the right thing to do, but when has that ever effected politics?!
If it was just the politicians I would buy it, but why do military personnel save Leila act like that? I can understand the influx of immigrants, but why the dislike of them while they are helping fight enemy invaders? Either way there could have been some more depth into it.