2012 Sci-fi & Fantasy movie calendar

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
kayone73

2012 Sci-fi & Fantasy movie calendar

http://io9.com/5872776/70%2B-science-fi ... or-in-2012

This article is a pretty good reference link for all the upcoming sci-fi/fantasy/action films slated to come out this year complete w release dates. Start marking up your calendars now.

My 'to watch in the theatre (maybe) list'
Chronicle (Feb. 3)
A group of teenagers gain telekinetic powers, in this "found footage" superhero movie. And judging from the trailer, one of them gets a little bit power-mad.
Outlook: The trailer looked fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGcwSDNFcsU
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (March 2)
Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton star as Hansel and Gretel, all grown up and living as bounty-hunters who kill witches.
Outlook: Renner and Arterton wear awesome black leather outfits and tote big rifles. We're in.
The Avengers (May 4)
The culmination of all those Marvel superhero films, this one sees a crew of movie stars facing off against Loki, and his friends.
Outlook: There were rumors of budgetary disputes and Robert Downey Jr. diva behavior. But we still expect excellence.
Prometheus (June 8)
Ridley Scott returns to science fiction in this ambiguous Alien prequel. A crew of explorers seeks the origins of humanity, but may find the end of the human race instead.
Outlook: It's Ridley Scott. And he filmed in Iceland. It looks astonishing.
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (June 22)
One of our greatest presidents is revealed as a slayer of our greatest monsters, in this adaptation of Seth Grahame-Smith's book.
Outlook: Directed by Wanted/Night Watch helmer Timur Bekmambetov. Really all you need to know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4U3kbV4dCU
The Dark Knight Rises (July 20)
The conclusion of Chris Nolan's epic Batman trilogy. Bane demolishes football fields, Catwoman spouts Occupy Wall Street rhetoric, and Bruce Wayne gets pretty messed up. And that's just the trailer.
Outlook: Nolan's literally never let us down. And this looks like his most insane movie yet
Total Recall (Aug 3)
Underworld's Len Wiseman directs a remake of the Paul Verhoeven film, in which we never go to Mars. Instead, the nations of Euromerica and New Shanghai battle, and Colin Farrell is caught in the middle.
Outlook: It didn't wow us at Comic-Con. But it's got cool flying cars, and probably some fun action.
Dredd (Sept. 21)
Mega City One's greatest lawman finally gets a serious film, with Karl Urban as a Dredd who never takes his helmet off. Sarah Connor and Cersei Lannister, aka Lena Headey, is the villain.
Outlook: The draft script was fun but nothing special. But the look of the film is picture-perfect, and script drafts can change.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T96Znx8wC0

Did anyone know this was being made? I didn't...
47 Ronin (Nov. 21)
One of the all-time great Japanese films gets a fantasy reimagining, full of witches and monsters.
Outlook: Director Carl Erik Rinsch blew our minds with his short film The Gift, and this is his chance to shine.
Gravity (Nov. 21)
Sandra Bullock stars in Alfonso Cuaron's epic about a woman who's trapped in space after a space shuttle accident. George Clooney co-stars.
Outlook: The Children of Men director has a new, space-bound version of his "one long take" shot which sounds astonishing. This could be actual science fiction Oscar-bait.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFn7Zr7WKkI
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Dec. 14)
Peter Jackson returns to Middle Earth, in the first half of an adaptation of Tolkien's classic quest novel.
Outlook: The first trailer was the stuff of dreams. And Martin Freeman looks perfect as Bilbo Baggins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSoD4BBCJc
World War Z (Dec. 21)
Brad Pitt stars in an adaptation of Max Brooks' novel, playing a United Nations employee who races around the world trying to stop a zombie pandemic.
Outlook: They're making some pretty huge changes to the book, so fingers crossed.
Life of Pi (Dec. 21)
Yann Martel's magical-realist novel about a boy trapped on a raft with zoo animals gets a movie version from Ang Lee.
Outlook: If they keep the carnivorous islands and other weird stuff, it could be seriously insane.
Great book, curious to see what a film version looks like

NO announced release dates
Iron Sky
The thrilling "Nazis on the Moon" film that we've been drooling over. Coming out April 4 in Finland, and hopefully sometime in the U.S.
Outlook: The concept art is stunning, and the screenplay is by Tiptree Award-winning novelist Johanna Sinisalo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNDaOFQ6g2I
Mu La Flaga

Re: 2012 Sci-fi & Fantasy movie calendar

For me.
Ghost Rider: The Spirit of Vengeance (Feb. 17)
Much like Journey 2, this is a sequel that nobody demanded. This time, Nic Cage is in Europe, and he pees fire.
Outlook: It's directed by Neveldine and Taylor, of Crank and Gamer fame, and by all accounts the action is genuinely nuts.
The Avengers as mentioned.
Men in Black III (May 25)
Another sequel nobody asked for. Agent J (Will Smith) has to travel back to the 1960s and meet a young Agent K (Josh Brolin). Expect lots of Yoko-Ono-is-an-alien humor.
Outlook: There were huge rumors of script problems and on-set drama. But the first trailer looked surprisingly fun.
The Amazing Spider-Man (July 3)
Spider-Man's origin gets retold, just six years after the last Spidey movie. This time he faces the Lizard, and meets Gwen Stacey.
Outlook: Director Marc Webb ((500) Days of Summer) might actually bring a new wit and humanity to the wall-crawler.
The Dark Knight Rises as mentioned.

Total Recall remake.
The Judgre Dred remake.
Prometheus also might be one.

And maybe the Hobbit.
Vent Noir

Ones I'm interested in:

Chronicle
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (March 2)
Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton star as Hansel and Gretel, all grown up and living as bounty-hunters who kill witches.
Outlook: Renner and Arterton wear awesome black leather outfits and tote big rifles. We're in.
The Hunger Games (March 23)
It's a post-apocalyptic future, and the United States has become the dystopian Panem, where children battle to the death in a huge arena.
Outlook: If anybody can bring the savage brilliance of Suzanne Collins' novel to life, it might be Pleasantville's Gary Ross.
The Avengers
Snow White and the Huntsman (June 1)
The year's second Snow White film, this one features Twilight's Kristen Stewart as an ass-kicking Snow White, and Chris Hemsworth as the Huntsman who protects her.
Outlook: We're actually kind of excited for this one. Nick Frost plays a dwarf.
Brave (June 22)
Pixar's first female hero, Merida, goes on a quest in this fairy-tale epic. Merida defies custom and makes a mistake that nearly unleashes chaos on the land.
Outlook: This film switched directors halfway through. But it still looks lovely. Fingers crossed.
Gravity
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Iron Sky (maybe)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
kayone73

Mu La Flaga wrote:For me.
Ghost Rider: The Spirit of Vengeance (Feb. 17)
Much like Journey 2, this is a sequel that nobody demanded. This time, Nic Cage is in Europe, and he pees fire.
Outlook: It's directed by Neveldine and Taylor, of Crank and Gamer fame, and by all accounts the action is genuinely nuts.
The Avengers as mentioned.
Men in Black III (May 25)
Another sequel nobody asked for. Agent J (Will Smith) has to travel back to the 1960s and meet a young Agent K (Josh Brolin). Expect lots of Yoko-Ono-is-an-alien humor.
Outlook: There were huge rumors of script problems and on-set drama. But the first trailer looked surprisingly fun.
I sincerely applaud your courage to be honest about looking forward to Ghost Rider 2, most ppl would be too scared on the internet to admit it.

Good call on MIB3, I caught a test audience screening of the unfinished film and it was shockingly good, better than MIB2 by miles and maybe even better than the first film IMHO. I'll all excited to watch it in the theater now to see the finished SFX and see what gets edited from/added to the final cut of the film.
Mu La Flaga

For me Ghost Rider the first one was an OK movie.
I look forward to 2, I didn't hate Nic Cage as Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze.