Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
kayone73

Re: Chaos Theater Mailbag Drop Box

The remake of Total Recall starring Colin Farrell will be coming out soon next year and while I'm getting tired of all these 80s films remakes I am excited at Bryan Cranston's casting as the main baddie, so I might see this in theater. Are there any 70s or 80s scifi films you wouldn't mind seeing remade, and could give your answers in the voice of Sean Connery

no I'm jk about that last part ;)
GoodRamen

1) Did you play any of the persona games yet? I'm mainly talking about Persona 3,Persona 3 Fes, Persona 3 psp, and Persona 4.

2) If you did what is your opinion about the games? etc did you enjoy it? what you like about it?

3) Are you watching Persona 4 The Animation? If you played persona 4 how would you compare it to the game so far?
Mu La Flaga

G'Day Theater of Chaos.

Got only 2 questions not trying to out Mu anyone, don't know where all the competetion to post a hell load of questions came from. :P

1.What are your opinions on these RPGs/SRPG games Phantasy Star series(I got the DS and PSP entries for that), Star Ocean(got the 2 PSP remakes), Lufia(got the DS remake of Lufia 2), also want to throw out any recommendations?,
Pedro also I've got Personna 1 and 3 PSP versions, I couldn't find Personna 2 on PSN Australia.

2.On a different fighting game note, what are your opinions on the Tekken and Dead or Alive series, I enjoy both series alot and enjoy the various styles each fighter has at their disposal.
I hate Tekken's cheap bosses, same could be same for DOA sometimes though.

Look forward to your answers and thank you gentlemen.
TimberNewtype

You recently fielded a question about written sci-fi being adapted into film. I was wondering:

What do you think of the Princess of Mars (Barsoom) books by Edgar Rice Borroughs?
What are your thoughts on the upcoming movie adaptation, John Carter? At first, I was skeptical (esp. given Disney's live action track record); but now I find myself get psyched to see it. I think Andrew Stanton (director and co-writer here) did a good job with Finding Nemo and a wonderful job with Wall-E, so I have high hopes.
Newtype Dad

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

1. Have you seen any films by Yoji Yamada? What did you think? I really loved both Twilight Samurai and The Hidden Blade despite the fact that they both have basically the same plot.

2. On that note, why are Japanese folks represented to be so shy and inept when it comes to romance in anime and movies? For godsake, the main character of Twilight Samurai was a middle-aged man with kids, and he was blushing and stumbling over his words whenever he spoke to or about his love interest. Actual Japanese can't possibly be like that, right? Maybe that's an explanation for declining birth rates.

3. Do you have any favorite stand-up comedians? For me, I am a fan of Patton Oswalt, Ben Bailey, Drew Hastings, Chris Rock, and many more. I believe that stand-up is a very well-written and condensed form of anecdotal advice for life.

4. Try to make it unique, but what super power or ability would you like to have? Personally, I would have the power of persuasion.

5. What is your personal advice to the audience this week?
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Mu La Flaga

Hey Guys.
Nothing of the usual variant of questions got something totally different and yet totally up your alley.
On one of MAHQ's other podcasts Flip the Script there was an episode segment revolving around Alcohol and War Stories.(which Chaos Theater now has itself)

So my question is simply, what would be your interesting/odd/bad/funny war story nvolving alcohol you would care to share with the listeners?

I myself would offer one but I'm not that big of a drinker at least not beer, Baileys is more my thing, sometimes occassional wine, depends, I've got expensive tastes :P
Curious to hear your answer and thanks. :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
animalia

First off I am sorry to quote myself but this question got skipped over and never asked:
animalia wrote:In a previous episode you mentioned Fushigi Yuugi, I Am wondering if either of you have read the Prequel manga Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden? I own all 9 volumes released in English and i like it even better then the original.
Finaaly in an episode of, gundamn i believe, Chris said he has only ever read 2 star wars expanded universe books one of which was Shadows Of The Empire. I was wondering what the other one was I am guessing by the context of the statement that it was one part of the Thrawn trilogy but i would like to know which part.
prince_of_zeon

Good morrow to ye, kind sirs,

Just quickly, what did you think of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda TV show that was on in the early 2000s?

Also, do you guys plan on playing Star Trek Online once it goes Free to Play in February?

As always, you guys are an inspiration to us all.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Wingnut

Chris and Pedro, time to get your spy on with a trio of James Bond questions for you. If you've seen a fair number of the movies of course. If not, then this post can be ignored.

1. Of all the gadgets that Q has made over the films (for Bond or otherwise, cars don't count), which one is your favorite or just stands out in your memory?

2. Of all the rides that 007 has had over the years, which one has been your favorite or one you most wanted to drive yourself?

3. And of course, who is your favorite Bond girl and why?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Flame-X

Hey what up Chridro. :P

Have you guys played this recently released indies game called To The Moon? If so, please tell us your brief thoughts on it. If not, I highly recommend checking it out. The game plays like a 16-bit J-rpg/adventure that doesn't involve any battles or leveling up, it primarily focuses on the storytelling which is about a dying old man who asks 2 doctors to fulfill his last wish by traversing through his memories. Kinda sounds like a Memento and Inception. The playtime is about 4-5 hours long so you should be able to complete it within one sitting. The soundtrack is absolutely wonderful by the way. You can watch the trailer in this link and try out the demo for an hour in the official site. It'd be awesome if you guys do a future segment on this game. Thanks and keep up with the great podcast.
kayone73

Kojima productions Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is in the works, with the latest preview being shown at the 2011 VGA

When this was originally announced in 2010, a lot of Metal Gear franchise fans were really excited, especially with the intial preview footage demonstrating graphics on the same level as MGS4. But the new footage in 2011 shows a very different looking game with different graphics and subjectively inferior look. This has caused the usual internet fandom shitstorm in the metal gear community, as fans do.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKy0-pbGG3w <-=-=- comparison footage video

Kojima released this video explaining why the big difference is there and from what I took out of the explanation is they found the project unmanagable and were ready to kill it, but then it got subcontracted out to Platinum games who produced a game to the best of their ability but doesn't seem to be what was originally promised.

Are either of you looking forward to the release of this game and what are you thoughts on wether such a game should have stayed dead if it couldn't be a direct product of Kojima or do you think fans should STFU and give the game a try before complaining?
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chris and Pedro.
Just got 2 questions as per usual for the mailbag.

1.Have either of you watched the Black Lagoon anime series?
If yes what are you thoughts on it?
If no then obviously I would recommend it as it's a pretty fun and violent and graphic series focusing on the adventures of a Mercenary Team based in a city with a boat, also this is one of a handfull of shows I would say the dub is equal if not superior to the Japanese work.

So I've enjoyed both seasons, some of the themes dealt with in some episodes are very graphically detailed in the topics dealt with.

2.I know you guys are not always big on PC games let alone Star Wars ones, but I just have to ask this.
Have either of you played the Star Wars game, Empire at War(and the expansion forces of corruption)?
I would call it the best Star Wars RTS game made,
due to the fact it's not using a ripped off Age of Empires 2 engine.

It's alot of fun due to space and land battles, hero units being able to target sub-sections on large ships and units.
You can also do other things such as build the Death Stars on the Imperial side.
AND your ground defensive buildings can affect space battles if you have things prepared.
Simillarly Death Star 2(only) in space battles can pick off enemy spaceships.

I would hate to rant on about Empire at War, but it's so damn awesome(love owning enemies with the Executor and massive fleets in a space battle)

Anyway that is all I've got guys.
Look forward to see what the new year yields for topics.
And enjoy my voicemail gentlemen.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
mobiusdiablo

Heya guys, me again.

I would like to know what you dislike about the Ar tonelico series, just simply out of curiosity. Is it the same reason you didn't care for the Atelier game or something else? I personally found 1 and 3/Qoga to be enjoyable to their own measures, but not without faults (No NG+ and very dated looks for 1 and some repetitiveness in Qoga), and I haven't been able to muster to go through 2 thanks to Skyrim. It's not the best game, but calling it crap feels a bit harsh to me. Maybe it's like you said before - it's a niche game that is more appealing to certain people.

On that note, have there been any games or shows or other media that you've digested before and disliked, only to go back later and see that it was a lot better than what it was? Maybe the 'reverse-nostalgia' effect in a sense?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
animalia

this may sound stupid but do you need an HD TV to get the most of an HD console?, because before i invest in a console i want to make sure i can get the most out of it.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Continuing on with the discussion from another episode, what are your thoughts on the works of Clover/Platinum games? Personally I have only played Okami, Bayonetta and Vanquish. I loved them all.

What are your thoughts on Asura's Wrath so far?
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Shinigam_Newtype

Hey there Chris and Pedro.

@Chris: in the past, you've mentioned your love for the SEGA's Yakuza series. Being a fan of the 3rd and 4th game in the series, I'd just like to hear your opinion on the series and well as which your favourite was, which had the best storyline(IYO), what you like about the series etc.

@Pedro: If you'd like to talk about the Yakuza series, that'd be great too, but I was hoping to hear most of your thoughts on the Phoenix Wright series. If you could just elaborate on some of the points you made in Episode 19 as well as mention which your favourite in the series was, favourite storyline etc.

Also, can we expect an episode on Metal Gear Solid anytime in the near future?
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Mekton GM

Have you guys ever heard of William Forstchen's Lost Regiment series. It's a historical fantacy where The plot revolves around a Union Army regiment from the American Civil War which gets transported to an alien world.

Here's a summary of the first book.
The region they are in is populated by descendants of medieval Russians who still live a feudal existence at a medieval level of technology. They learn from their new hosts that there are various civilizations on this world made up of the descendants of people from various eras of Earth history.
The Union soldiers eventually discover a terrible secret that their Rus hosts have been keeping from them when the Tugars arrive. The Tugar are ten foot tall aliens with a culture and technology similar to that of the Mongol Horde. They ride a neverending circuit around the planet. They have subjugated the human populations in their territory and use them as food. The Union men are horrified by this revelation and kill the Tugar advanced scouts. They then support a peasant rebellion against the Tugar appointed lords and begin modernizing the Rus society. When the Tugar arrive they encounter a modern army equipped with cannon and rifled muskets. In a hard-fought battle the humans manage to prevail, weakening the Tugar Horde forever.
After that the remaining 7 books cover that they have 2 more wars with other tribes and develope airships, airplanes, steam tanks, and fleets of ironclads that evolve into World War I level battleships. They also focus on thier political moves they make with other socities on this world such as Romans that survive thousands of years past the original empire.

It was the first long series of books I read outside of a major franchise such as Star Wars or Warhammer and I think it was one of the best I've read. The only disapointment is that the author started a sort of next generation story but stopped after releaseing only one book covering the begining of the next war and ending on a major cliffhanger and not because he died but becasue he moved to other projects.
Last edited by Mekton GM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
The Fowl Sorcerous

a few quick ones for you guys:

boxers or briefs?
paper or plastic?
pretzels or chips?
pepsi or coke?
beatles or the stones?
ninjas or pirates?
vikings or mongols?
dinosaurs or robots?
apples or oranges?
SEED or destiny?
[[lorem ipsum]]
kayone73

Dear Chris & Pedro,

To follow up on the excellent TNG segment you both did, I wanted to ask your thoughts and opinions on the oft maligned Enterprise series that many view as putting the franchise in cold sleep until the latest movie. I'm venturing to guess Chris has probably seen some of it while Pedro may or may not have. I for one am in that minority that actually enjoyed the series and production values quite a bit despite it's many glaring flaws including major continuity issues and constant retconning that often occurs w a prequel series, and some fairly weak characters with a less than stellar captain IMHO (Bakula's Jonathan Archer), but I liked many of the eps and storylines including season 3's Xindi Arc. I also liked the further fleshing out of classic ST races like the Vulcans, Andorians and Tellurites in a pre-Federation era.
Shinigam_Newtype

Hey there, I'll try and keep this short and sweet.
Are there any shows that you enjoyed whilst watching that had a finale which in some way retroactively deterred your enjoyment of the show as a whole?

I'm aware the argument could be made that watching and enjoying a show until the later seasons should be divorced from your feelings of the later parts of the show, but what about when a shows premise and many events contained in a show hinge so heavily on a show's terrible ending, for example LOST, would it not then be permissible to dislike the show as a whole for such a disastrous ending?

What are your thoughts?
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080