Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Red Comet90

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

Are you guys fans of the Ace Combat series?

If any of you three are fans have you noticed the similarities between Gundam and Ace Combat? Ace Combat has taken a liking to super weapons, turnsaround (like the Federation losing and then suddenly pushing the Zeon forces back with MS) and nameless pilots screaming "OH NO ITS MOEBIUS 1" which is somewhat akin to "ITS THE GUNDAM!" In fact I've seen the similarities go a bit farther, where Ace Combat 5 seemed to show some similar plot development like in Gundam SEED which had finished airing a year or two before Ace Combat 5's release. Do you think that any of these similarities are merely coincidence or that the writers behind Ace Combat deliberately took a page from Gundam?

Chris, you've said that you enjoy Magic the Gathering, being a really casual player of the game I was wondering what do you enjoy? Standard? Commander? etc.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

What if Gatekeepers was released as part of Robotech? I imagine a Shawn taking over the role of main character as opposed to the Shun Ukiya we all (I mean I) know. I also imagine them only airing the second half of GK seeing as how thats when the mecha make their first appearence.

And how would you compare Full Metal Panic!' s explanation for the Arm-Slaves
Spoiler
people of the future beamed back thoughts to the the mid 80's around when the whispered were born
against Gasaraki's (which I haven't seen) explanation
Spoiler
what was it, ancient Japanese demon?
I personally prefer FMP!

Have you ever looked at art for an anime and thought it was cool, but then watched said anime and found that the designs were really lacking? i.e.- When I saw the covers for the Big O manga I thought the designs were really good, but then I actually read it... not so good.
Speaking of the Big O manga, are you aware as to the reasons for they didn't get Keiichi Satou to do the designs instead of (the horrid) Hitoshi Ariga? (you know, he did the Megaman manga)

Speaking of the Big O in general, obviously you guys don't think highly of the "Evangelion fan bantering" (as stated in episode 94), but what do you think of the kind-of fan-boy bantering about the Big O? Atleast Big O gave (many) hints as to what the world was. (http://kiserai.net/bigo/ has 2 theories)
(I actually thought up the theory that the Big O world was prone to premature eternal recurrence and changes every cycle thanks to Angel a.k.a. God a.k.a. the only being who is not effected be eternal recurrence)
Yes, I am aware that there is a point where analyzation ends and over-analyzation begins

What do you think of my idea for a sitcom-like anime based on the SRW (none of which I have played) series? It would deal with the characters off the battlefield onboard what ever mothership they are on, haven't you ever wondered how all the different character dynamics work? I see Bright camping outside Shinji Akari and/or Jesus Yamato's rooms to bright-slap them upon awakening and walk away. How do they fit all the mecha on one ship (or however many ships they have)? Whats the dynamic between Chirico, Heero, Setsuna and Sousuke? Basically: how do all these characters deal with each other?

Okay, serious time: What do the Gundamn! guys have to say about America's current economic state?

(less serious time) Who is Soulbro's man in Mobile Ops? (is it himself? sorry I had to)

P.S.- since episode 94 I have begun noticing more and more Hatsune Miku around me (not physically... for now), good going guys, you've pissed her off, now were all screwed
Last edited by the Gatekeeper on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

-Suzuka Hime (Mugen no Frontier)

... Are we that predictable?
Mu La Flaga

Hey Guys.
Just got a reply to your answers in episode 91's mailbag to my post.
In response to Voltron related stuff.
Chris if you read this mailbag entry in it's entirety, I will make this a "Mu Made" promise of this being last Voltron mailbag entry from me :P

As I said in episode 91 these points below as to why Vehicle is the better incarnation.

A)Unlike the Lion Team, Vehicle Force's base the 'Explorer' ship travels to planets to explore them for potential colonization and/or terraforming and thus, we get different stories and worlds to explore each episode kind of in the vein of Star Trek.

B)Vehicle Force does not suffer the same repetetive formula of protecting the Princess or castle or civiliians on a costant basis,alot of Vehicle episodes focus on space exploration

C)You also get nice battles sometimes between fleets of spacehips and all that.(not all the time though)

D)Tramsformation times, Vehicle 31 secs, Lion 56 secs

E)Vehicle is more unfied colours of Red, White, Blue and Black, Lion is almost all colours of the rainbow :P

Chris I went off the assumption because I remember you calling it over rated, so I made an assumption there, so offering up a small apology to you and Neo on that part.

Soul Bro quick note buddy, Ocean are doing the prelay stuff for it, not the old cast.

PS: Chris did Emperor Palpatine get set free from the Haic?, he was on the Shinjuku Station at the movies episode 4 Comic Book special, Dique better watch out for him :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Matthew Grawbadger

Gentlemen.

With the end of the Frontier films it's now or never.

Captain Jeffery Wilder and his eligibility for the Gundamn Adama Memorial Officer's mess.

Does mo-cap surfing a 400m robot down a gravity well equal or exceed divebombing a teleporting space submarine into a planet?

Discuss.

Also, with the 25 episode time constraints, allowances must be made Neo. Captain Wilder may well have been swigging liquor and eating noodles in his off-time just as much as the four series Admiral. The good captain may have just been more aloof and intense while waiting for the battlesurfing.

Regards,

Matthew.
Silverfox_Blade

Have any of you guys ever explored role-playing games in the mecha genre either on or off of the internet? Likewise for wargames such as Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles, Battletech or Gear Krieg?
tehprognoob

Hypothetical situation:
You have a small, close, happy family.
You have a wife and a few kids, all of whom you love with all your hearts.
Kira Yamato and the Strike Freedom are about to sack your small village, kill you, rape your wife and sell your children. You are the last man alive. You have to choose another suit from a Gundam timeline that is NOT a Gundam or a main character mobile suit/armor.

You MUST TRY.
What will you choose?
Last edited by tehprognoob on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Shinigam_Newtype

Hey there guys. Once again, thanks for the awesome, you guys really do make my day. Anyway, I've always wondered about some of the more technical aspects of the show's production, I was hoping you could provide some insight.
My question is, What kind of work goes into producing a standard episode of Gundamn!? I.E. When do you guys record, what is the editing process like etc. Just a brief rundown would be great!
Thanks and keep up the great work!
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Saber

I have a creative task for you gentlemen.

Suppose that through some cosmic twist of fate, the three of you are put in charge of creating a new Super Robot Wars TV series. However this time around, you get to include every mecha show you want, Gundam, Macross, whatever. How would you set this up? What series would you include and why? Which characters would you put together to form a group? Who would the bad guys be? Would it be wise to put Lelouch vi Britannia, Reinhard von Lohengramm, Haman Karn and Treize Khushrenada on the same ship and hope they don't try to stab one another in the back?

And most importantly, how would you name it? I have five words for you: Super Robot Wars: Crossroad's Counterattack.

---

Do you ever intend to do a spotlight on Zone of the Enders? If so, would that include the entire franchise or just the OVA and TV series?
---

What's your take on the various CODE GEASS mangas if you've read any of them, in particular how the mangas for Lelouch of the Rebellion and Suzaku of the Counterattack completely omit Knightmare Frames from their story, the resulting changes and the various other liberties those mangas took from the source material? Anything you thought was done better in the mangas than in the anime?
Last edited by Saber on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
PHILLYgundamnFAN

Hey Gundamn crew

Every year hundreds of new animes are produced and each has its own unique look. As the years go by animation techniques change, improve, and advance from the previous year. While the best animation from 20 years ago may not look as nice as its contemporaries today there is still a quality and beauty to the style of yesterday. If you were able to have an anime (old or new) redrawn with the techniques and style used in the production of another anime what show would it be? I would love to see G-Gundam redrawn with the same high definition quality as Gundam Unicorn. Burning Finger would look even more badass.

Thanks once again
Last edited by PHILLYgundamnFAN on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To my only desire...The Beast of Possibility...The Symbol of Hope..."
mobiusdiablo

Was listening to your older episodes when I heard Soul Bro seemingly shudder at the thought of 'character focus' songs sung by the voice actors, ala Wing. I was just curious as to since then, have you heard any of these and are some of them actually good in your opinion?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Mr Bushido

These will be a ELS theme based questions.

1) Given the sheer numbers of the ELS and seeing as how the ESF were clearly fighting a losing battle, how many other full sized armies from other Gundam series do you think it will take to even get at least a even fight.

2) If Nina Purpleton was assimilated, would you think the ELS just spit her out or would they all become bitches... to Chris' ultimate nightmare?

3) Say if ELS were to cross over to the C.E. universe, you think the Earth Alliance and ZAFT would put aside their differences and fight the ELS or would they in typical C.E. style racism just attack each other thus already dooming the C.E. universe?
Last edited by Mr Bushido on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Shinigam_Newtype

Hey there Gundamn! crew.
I've recently been doing a chronological UC round up I.E. watching the MSG trilogy movies followed by 8th MS followed by 0080 etc and I'm currently on Unicorn, the first to be adapted from a novel I believe.
My question is; just what makes(or what do you believe makes) an entry in a metaverse(like Gundam) part of the Canon? Does it have to be animated? Does it have to be licensed by Bandai in this case? Is it just based on a general consensus by fans? What is it?

Similarly, albeit linking to the 1st part of this question, who decides when something isn't part of the canon? In particular I refer to G-saviour, many people consider that non-canon whilst considering Unicorn canon. It would appear to me that is based solely on the quality of the respective entry. What are you thought? Sorry for the long question.

P.S. I'm really not looking forward to finishing the UC roundup as I know what awaits me in UC: 265 or whenever it is.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
yazi88

What's up Gundamn crew, got a few questions for you:

1. I've noticed in some shows that the saying art imitates life can't be any more true, so my question to you guys is that are there any anime characters that you've noticed resemble people in real-life or of those in other shows even non-anime. The few examples I can think of are: the mayor of the city in Tiger and Bunny who I first thought was another Obama imitator in anime but on closer inspection he looks and acts more the wimpy Tom Dubois from the Boondocks, another example is Admiral Merkatz from LoGH who greatly resembles actor Charles Bronson which someone else had pointed out on the LoGH episode on mechatalk.

PS: Don't bother mentioning characters designed by Hisashi Hirai's, everyone looks like someone in shows he's involved in.

2. Since you guys, especially Neo, have mentioned Leiji Matsumoto and his works quite often, what is your opinion of Interstella 5555, to me its probably the best music video I've ever seen but I would like to know your thoughts and opinion on it.
Last edited by yazi88 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strike Zero

If you had to choose, which would you prefer to see get produced: a Hollywood live-action Gundam movie, or a revival of Doozybots?

Also, my brother had a question for you guys (he listens to the show too): have any of you ever played the Playstation 2 game MS Saga: A New Dawn, and if so, what are your thoughts on the game?
Last edited by Strike Zero on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Is Soul Bro getting a Vita so he can play that port of Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom? Combos on the go!

Also,

Where is my enemy?
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Matthew Grawbadger

Dear Gundamn,

Niche question.

This Christmas break, I've been working through some of the series I've been introduced to by your protracted ramblings, the crown jewel being Legend of Galactic Heroes (thanks again for that stupidly named gem). Everything was going grand until the ominous reintroduction of Andrew Fork and his evil chilly death-touch of Amuro Ribbons.

Because of your plot synopsis I found myself unable to continue watching Legend because of my dread for the assassination of one of the coolest and most fully realized characters I've ever seen animated. I knew it was coming all along, it's been a seventy episode shuffle to the grave. Can't watch it anymore. Switched to Escaflowne. (Thanks for that too, you're honestly my only source on these things that doesn't make me wretch or trawl through internet slurry pit equivalents).

My question is, have you ever invested yourself enough emotionally in a 2D drawing that you've been delayed in finishing a series by their soul-crushingingly stupid and undeserved death? Or even spoilers that leave you with a multi-episode funeral procession? What series are that good, to make you feel?

Everyone please pause the podcast and set your stereos to Time To Say Goodbye, Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman 1996. It's okay, the tears are hidden by the flickering of the fireplace and the fumes from the brandy glass. Great men cry too.

Matt.
Matthew Grawbadger

Dear Gundamn,

As a young man who generally enjoyed the whiny teen drama masquerading as a roboshow that was Gundam Seed, would you recommend watching the grizzled, squinting, Gundam Alternate Universe Sequel Without a Name to a newer generation of fans, who didn't see it as the trainwreck unfolded and its promise failed?

I've heard a lot about its flaws now, but Seed was my first Gundam and indeed robot cartoon. I owe it a lot more than you august, decrepit old men. Is it the case that you'd advise it only to have a true appreciation of abject failure like M.D. Geist, or despite its mountain of flaws there's something recognizable there for fans of the first, like Gundam ZZ? Or just to earn my B. A. in Gundam by taking the notorious module of Flashback Abuse, Pandering and Stupid Deathcrys?

Never thought to ask 'til you outlawed it, but a fifty episode series is a bigger commitment than the deplorable Anime Toilet crowd. I need the advice of those who have stared into the abyss before me.

Sorry,

Matt.
kayone73

Chris, Neo, Soulbro

Happy New year to you guys. I have only one semi-serious Candyland question: what cheesy elements of 70s & 80s mecha anime you'd like to see make a comeback in today's real robot anime shows.

Frankly I'd like to see a return of lead characters sporting wickedly large fros, a la OG Amuro & Cosmo Yuki. And if this already being done then ignore what I said.

Congrats on starting Gundamn year 5 and looking forward to ep 100!
Last edited by kayone73 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mysterE101v2
Location: A barren wasteland location on the edge of hell and infinty AKA NEW JERSEY!!!!!

Which universe would you rather live in. The Gurren Lagann universe or the Code Grass universe?
“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

― George Orwell, 1984
Mekton GM

If you guys could, would you make a Riff Trax to an anime or mecha movie, and if so what movies.
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214