Sp. 001: Beer 'n' Chicken

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Sp. 001: Beer 'n' Chicken

Chaos Theater Sp. 001 - "Beer 'n' Chicken"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 46 mins, 08 sec. (0:46:08) 21.2 MB

Special Guest Hosts: Kristina Pino and Cristian Alvernaz (all segments)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:42:09

02. Discussion: "Beer 'n' Chicken"
Runtime: 0:03:43 - 0:38:58

03. Outro: "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 0:39:48 - 0:45:45

Since we wrapped up our regular discussions in the last episode, we end 2011 with a special episode devoted to something very near and dear to our hearts: BEER. Yes, you hear us mention in most episodes what beer we're drinking, so we decided to devote an entire episode to beer, while drinking beer and eating chicken. As this is a special episode, there's no What We've Been Up to, no Sacred Cow and no Mailbag. We're joined in this roundtable discussion by Kristina Pino and token non-drinker Cristian Alvernaz. We discuss our experiences with beer, some brews we like and a few recommendations. If this sort of episode doesn't suit your fancy, next time it'll be back to normal. Also, before anyone says anything about it, there are some audio problems in the last segment.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"End of Line (Photek Remix)" from TRON: Legacy R3C0NF1GUR3D‎
"Arena (The Japanese Popstars Remix)" from TRON: Legacy R3C0NF1GUR3D‎

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
xaos

Re: Sp. 001: Beer 'n' Chicken

Now I'm not a drinker of any type of alcohol but I still listened and I'm glad that you mentioned Sam Adams as your favorite American beer Chris. When you mentioned how Budweiser was brewed I immediately thought of how much better Sam Adams is at it. I live in Massachusetts so I like to take pride in good stuff made here even if it's something I don't buy like beer.
mobiusdiablo

Thanks for this episode guys.

I've had bad experiences with beer so far, tried it three times, each tasted like Budweiser/piss. First time was when I was five or so, asked my dad what he was drinking (Coors I think), he offered me a sip, and it tasted like piss/vomit. Second time I was tricked into it from a girl next door when I was nine, and then most recently I tried another bottle of Bud a couple years back. Didn't know it was the bottom of the barrel.

I'll see about trying to get some of this Sam Adams stuff (I also live in MA) if I can, but any particular ones besides the lite version that would be a good idea? I know I more prefer smoother beverages from what I've tried.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
hotlimit

Woah, that was a surprise! I'm a serious beer snob, so it was great to hear that you guys have not been soured by the macrobrews.

Beer is pretty popular where I live, and I'm lucky enough to have a chain of beer markets that supplies pretty much anything you could want (they even get casks of exclusive stuff that is not bottled). The one downside is that our city is home to an awful macrobrewery that pretty much destroys every local's taste for beer before they get a chance to see the light.

Anyway, I'm definitely adding Abita to my list of stuff to try, any particular styles from that brewery would be appreciated! We have Jockamo, Purple Haze, Pecan Harvest, Turbodog, etc.

My personal favorite is a baltic porter from Poland called Okocim (Porter), but it can be kind of funky if you get it out of season. If any of you are into IPAs, I seriously recommend Green Flash West Coast IPA!

@mobiusdiablo: Wheat beers are usually the 'tamest', so if you're lucky enough to find some in stock, Sam Adam's summer ale is ideal. English-style beers are also 'weaker', but no less satisfying, so an english brown ale or english pale ale would fit the bill (Sam Adams makes both).
Destiny_Gundam

I guess you could call me one of those anti-beer elitists. I take a certain pride in the fact that I have never had any alcohol pass my lips.

Now before you say "But how do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it", I don't feel any need to try it at all. The smell gives it away in part, but on top of that I see my family get plastered all the time. I disaprove of this idea that in order to have a good time you have to get drunk. Honestly I get uncomfortable in situations where people have been drinking which is why I tend to stay in my room with the door locked when there's a party in my house.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mu La Flaga

An interesting, short and simple special episode :P
I will say not much of a drinker of alcohol, but if at all if I have anything Baileys is an example of something nice if a little expensive in comparisson to beers and all that.
mobiusdiablo

hotlimit wrote:@mobiusdiablo: Wheat beers are usually the 'tamest', so if you're lucky enough to find some in stock, Sam Adam's summer ale is ideal. English-style beers are also 'weaker', but no less satisfying, so an english brown ale or english pale ale would fit the bill (Sam Adams makes both).
So the one that's practically endorsed by Chris and Pedro, huh? :lol: Doubt I'd find the summer ale right now (considering it's, well...winter, but then again, I hail from the place where they make it...), but I'll try looking for the wheat/English ales. Thanks hotlimit!
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Chris
Administrator

Any Sam Adams seasonal brew is a good place to start with. Right now you can get Winter Lager, and In January they'll start selling the spring brew. Come April, you'll be able to get your hands on Summer Ale.
hotlimit

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I guess you could call me one of those anti-beer elitists. I take a certain pride in the fact that I have never had any alcohol pass my lips.

Now before you say "But how do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it", I don't feel any need to try it at all. The smell gives it away in part, but on top of that I see my family get plastered all the time. I disaprove of this idea that in order to have a good time you have to get drunk. Honestly I get uncomfortable in situations where people have been drinking which is why I tend to stay in my room with the door locked when there's a party in my house.
You don't have to get drunk to enjoy or appreciate beer, any more than you need to be a glutton to enjoy gourmet food. If I'm trying out new beers, I will only have one per day, and never feel the alcohol's effect unless the alcohol content is really high. If you think just one beer will get you drunk, you can always split it with one of your family members, so they can try it out too.

True, It's an acquired taste and not a hobby for everyone, but don't let some haughty attitude toward drunkenness ruin your enjoyment of fine cuisine.
Destiny_Gundam

So my brother scoffs at your taste in beer. He says you should come up north for some Canadian beer.
Mu La Flaga

I would like to offer a bit of commentary, Destiny Gundam.
I'm not a big drinker myself and not for like fun in the way some people like it.
I mentioned Baileys as a drink I like, but it can be a little strong.

I would say if you ever want to give it a try you could always try something nicer, you can get nice rums in caramel, banana, strawberry ect.
And what I normally do is add a little milk since drinking them pure they are a bit strong.
So I'm just offering up that opinion who can understand your thoughts on alcohol and Beer not being all that great, at least with my limited experiences.
Destiny_Gundam

By this point I'll stay dry on principle alone. Alcohol has lots of negative side effects and abstinence is the only way to be sure they don't happen to me.

I have nothing against casual drinking as a concept, but in my experience it never stays casual.
hotlimit

Destiny_Gundam wrote:So my brother scoffs at your taste in beer. He says you should come up north for some Canadian beer.
Chances are that if your brother "gets plastered" so often that it scared you away from alcohol, he doesn't really know anything about good beer. I lived in Canada for 5 years though, and if you want some suggestions of Canadian brews, I'd be more than happy to oblige.
Destiny_Gundam

I guess you could say he only gets drunk on the good stuff :lol:

It's not just him, though. My extended family all tend to get rather rowdy when beer is around.

Personally I like to avoid anything that could potentially make me vomit.
hotlimit

Fair enough! If you ever get a chance though, Unibroue of Quebec makes several fine beers. Just take a sip of La fin du Monde or Terrible
The Fowl Sorcerous

All things in moderation of course, but don't underestimate the healthfulness of brewers yeast and whole grains. heck, a pint of milk stout is better for you than a pint of milk, and all the calroies of half a loaf of bread.

But yes, beer can be very good if you can get something that isn't loaded with preservatives and fillers. Corn has no place in my ale!

taste-wise a run a bit against the grain of the majority of north america. As far as I'm concerned the hoppier the better, love the IPAs and full-bodied ales.

Question: was the chicken you were eating marinated in beer?
[[lorem ipsum]]
hotlimit

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote: taste-wise a run a bit against the grain of the majority of north america. As far as I'm concerned the hoppier the better, love the IPAs and full-bodied ales.
I wouldn't say that's against the grain of North America, as North American micro-brewers make the hoppiest beers on earth. They made IPAs into an art form, from something that British people just ate with indian food.
Chris
Administrator

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:Question: was the chicken you were eating marinated in beer?
Nope, just a regular Wingstop variety pack.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I haven't actually listened to the episode yet so I hope you didn't have this in there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ROBdkVlPU
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
animalia

I live in St. Louis and i have it from quite a few confidential sources that ever since Inbev bought Busch quality control has gotten lax, so if you did not like it before....

use your imagination