Should Katoki Redesign His EW Gundams?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Aegis

Re: Should Katoki Redesign His EW Gundams?

I never thought the Shiron was an upgrade to begin with. I figured it was a retcon design to remove the Tallgeese that was Episode Zero, and for that, I like.
Raiden

domino wrote: If anything, I'd like to see the EW versions using more of the equipment that they had in the Wing TV series. Especially Shenlong (beam gun/stinger) and Deathscythe (dual buster shields).
Deathsycthe never wielded a dual Buster shield at any point of the TV Show. Nor did Deathsycthe Hell.

Deathsycthe Hell only recieved a cloak/Wings, a better buster shield, and a double bladed beam scythe.

As for the upgrades thus far, i think they are better off making new ideas and what not for them. Plus its not like there is THAT much "TV esque" upgrade ideas they could add on to them in the first place other than Altron's beam cannons, and Deathsycthe Hell getting some projectile and an extra sycthe attached on top of the existing one.
domino

It might be hard to notice Raiden, but the EW Deathscythe Hell DOES have 2 buster shields on its forearms however they've never actually been used or listed as buster shields. In fact, they weren't even used as shields or the short extreme close-range melee weapons that they at least same they could be.

My reference to the TV version was that it'd be nice if the GOTL manga allowed them to be used as buster shields (or maybe a close-range beam cannon?) so that the DH would have meaningful projectiles.

In fact, I'd have preferred that to the fabricated beam waves that the DH can launch at enemies in Gundam Extreme Vs
AmuroNT1

The only name I've ever seen given to D-Hell EW's arm shields is "buster guards", and that's from MS Saga. They aren't buster shields at all, just regular shields that happen to be pointy.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
domino

So "buster guards" means what exactly? That they can't be launched like a buster shield or that they are somehow different? I'm interested to know what MS Saga says beyond the name of them.

It's way too apparent that those "buster guards" are very sharp and pointy and while it's unlikely, if the DH did ever lose the scythe then I can see how extreme close-range melee weapons such as those would be very useful especially since the DH doesn't have any other backup melee weapons, unless you count the pointy knee and foot armour.

EDIT: Looking at the Deathscythe Ver Ka and back to the Deathscythe Hell Custom Ver Ka then it's really hard to not notice that the "buster guards" closely resemble a simplified version of the buster shield equipped on the Deathscythe Ver Ka. Like there was speculation that the buster shield on Deathscythe Ver Ka might not be launchable, but it turned out to be at least in GOTL then maybe we'll be surprised when DHC Ver Ka emerges in the manga. I certainly hope so.
AmuroNT1

The buster guards are just regular shields, both in MS Saga and in Endless Waltz. The only way they'd become weapons is if they were totally redesigned, as in their current state there's absolutely nothing to suggest their possessing any offensive capability besides being pointy.

And admittedly, we didn't have a lot to go off of for Deathscythe EW until we got the MG model and GotL. It might just have been a beam katar until Katoki redesigned it to give it thrusters, but he's the only one who knows for sure.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Kuruni

About DHC arm guards, we had went through it once, and there's little point to do it again without new material ;) .
My girlfriend was a loli.
smile_seta

Personally, I'm already OK with Katoki's EW Designs. But future a V2 or V3 EW Katoki will also be great especially with the newly released MG EW suits.
Outlaw

I don't know about the Endless Waltz Gundams but I wouldn't mind him taking another crack at the Wing Gundam. His current version is just way to similar to the Wing Zero for my liking.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
J-Lead

I'm not sure why you guys think there's anything stopping Katoki from designing a bunch of wacky extra option parts for the mid-manga upgrades, too. You can be damn sure if he designed some for the originals, he'll do something special for the customs as well. Don't forget, EW took place during a time of disarmament, when the Gundams probably had access to only their most basic weapons and equipment from the asteroid they launched into the sun. During the War itself, there's a good chance they had a much more broad assortment of weapons at their disposal.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Raiden

Outlaw wrote:I don't know about the Endless Waltz Gundams but I wouldn't mind him taking another crack at the Wing Gundam. His current version is just way to similar to the Wing Zero for my liking.
Same can be said for the other 4 and their upgraded counterparts. But honestly it isn't hard to tell the difference between any of them.
AmuroNT1

Well, if you wanna split hairs, Heavyarms and Sandrock didn't change much with Okawara either.

Outlaw

Raiden wrote:Same can be said for the other 4 and their upgraded counterparts. But honestly it isn't hard to tell the difference between any of them.
I know, but for some reason Wing Gundam just seems to stick in my craw. I'm not sure why.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Aegis

Aesthetically speaking, I actually consider Wing ver. Ka to be an improvement over Wing Zero Ka. :P

But, really, the only reason why I would bother seeing Wing Ka. be redesigned to look less similar to Wing Zero has less to do with aesthetics, and more to do with design history; unlike the other Gundams, Wing Zero was not an upgrade of Wing, but rather the predecessor of all the Gundams, thus a separate design. It's such a small issue, however, that I see no need to bother doing such.
Amadi Akintunde

Aegis wrote: But, really, the only reason why I would bother seeing Wing Ka. be redesigned to look less similar to Wing Zero has less to do with aesthetics, and more to do with design history; unlike the other Gundams, Wing Zero was not an upgrade of Wing, but rather the predecessor of all the Gundams, thus a separate design.
And the thing about that is that the Wing Gundam was the most, if not completely directly derived from the Wing Zero, so it would indeed make sense for it to look similar to it.
1-4-4

Amadi Akintunde wrote:Only suit I'd like to see redesigned is the Wing Zero Custom. Those wings are ridiculous.
They're really no more silly than the regular Wing Gundam's wings... They're just curved instead of flat slabs.
Amadi Akintunde

1-4-4 wrote:
Amadi Akintunde wrote:Only suit I'd like to see redesigned is the Wing Zero Custom. Those wings are ridiculous.
They're really no more silly than the regular Wing Gundam's wings... They're just curved instead of flat slabs.
The Wing's wings actually seem like they're part of the main body. The biomechanical wings on the Zero Custom are almost alien. Plus, the former makes more sense from an engineering point of view, when putting Bird Mode into perspective.

Don't really care about Gundam =/= Realism, before you say anything on that. The Custom's wings are ridiculous, and that's my stance.
CloudFF7

I sure some might be surprised by this, but according to the Master Grade model information for the Heavyarms Ver Ka, the gatling gun is a beam type not a shell type, meaning the belt is an energy cable connection, and the canister on the back is an energy tank. The model also shows the shield can be attached to either the Heavyarms forearm or the gatling gun. The model also finally clarifies that it only has two chest gatlings not four(it will be upgraded to four by Howard when he refits it the Heavyarm Kai).
Zeta Superior

So, I don't know if my thoughts matter too much on the subject, but... The Wing Zero we see in Endless Waltz is referred to as Wing Zero CUSTOM, right? Whereas the Wing Zero in the TV show was just that; The Wing Zero.

You guys think there's a possibility of ANOTHER redesign? Something like Katoki's take on the Wing Zero BEFORE he made it into the WZC? God knows how much the Glory of the Defeated manga contradicts the TV Show, so why not contradict the movie it'll eventually lead into?
"When a man strays from the right path, a kind man must have the courage to raise his fist and correct them."
-Jamil Neate, After War Gundam X
Arsarcana

The EW version of Wing Zero was only called that to distinguish it from the TV version and it was primarily a merchandising gimmick (which got carried a bit far, see: 'Serpent Custom') that was never used onscreen. Wing Ver Ka/EW replaces TV Wing and it upgrades into Wing Zero Ver Ka/EW which replaces TV Wing Zero. The whole point of the manga is to retroactively replace the TV suits with their Katoki designs. There's no missing link waiting to be discovered between any version of Wing and WZ or between the TV and Katoki designs.