mecha release question

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
animalia

mecha release question

Are we allowed to MENTION mecha scanlation releases so long as we do not link to them?
Destiny_Gundam

Re: mecha release question

Rules say discussion of illegal media is not allowed. Just talk about the series rather than the scanlations themselves.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
animalia

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Rules say discussion of illegal media is not allowed. Just talk about the series rather than the scanlations themselves.
I am confused. what is the difference? Unless you mean only talk about the artwork?
Destiny_Gundam

Talk about the title itself, what happens in the chapter, etc. Don't talk about stuff like the group who scanlated it, or how you don't like the font they use or whatever.
animalia

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Talk about the title itself, what happens in the chapter, etc. Don't talk about stuff like the group who scanlated it, or how you don't like the font they use or whatever.
Can i at least mention that it HAS been scanlated, so long as i do not name the group?
azrael

No posting of links or discussion of illegal media is allowed on the forums.
I think that includes talk of scanlantions. Just start talking about the series and no harm will come.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Destiny_Gundam

animalia wrote:Can i at least mention that it HAS been scanlated, so long as i do not name the group?
Be safe and don't. We're all smart people around here so if you talk about a series and they're interested they have ways of finding that stuff for themselves.
Chris
Administrator

Animalia, I don't see what the problem is here. You're not a new user. This is no different from when people discuss fansubbed anime that they're watching. They don't mention that it's been fansubbed, as it's just a given and has nothing to do with the topic.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
animalia

Chris wrote:Animalia, I don't see what the problem is here. You're not a new user. This is no different from when people discuss fansubbed anime that they're watching. They don't mention that it's been fansubbed, as it's just a given and has nothing to do with the topic.
it just seems weird, does everybody talking about it assume the others can all read Japanese or something. It seems that by the very nature of talking about an unlicensed work we are acknowledging there is a scanlation/fansub
ShadowCell

Of course there are people here who use fansubs and scanlations. That's sort of obvious. What is the problem?
animalia

ShadowCell wrote:Of course there are people here who use fansubs and scanlations. That's sort of obvious. What is the problem?
The problem is were saying don't talk about scans and subs, but by the mere fact of describing the story we are acknowledging their existence of the things we are not supposed to acknowledge. It seems like a big catch 22
Chris
Administrator

I really don't get your confusion or why this is such a big deal to you. I don't care how people watch or read the things they discuss here. What I don't want is people being directed to fansubs or scanlations with links posted here. But either way, what relevance does it have to you how people watched something? This is not a complicated concept.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dendrobium Stamen

The reference is slightly out-of-date now, but I suppose the topic of quite how the non-Japanese-speaking majority of us blunder through the various Gundam media which haven't seen official releases outside of Japan is the Don't Ask, Don't Tell of this fandom.

Simply put, nobody raises the issue of how others on the board are following the series/film/manga/etc. in public view, and nobody volunteers the information either. (That, by the way, could be taken as a subtle hint.)

And that's how it works. We know how we're doing it. We know 99.9% of the other people on the forum know how we're doing it. But we don't mention it, and neither do they. And the cycle of good form (and tacit evasion of awkward legal questions) continues... :roll:
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.