Known MSV-R so far

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
toysdream

Re: Known MSV-R so far

I'm very curious about this Nelson-class ship; when I first saw it mentioned on the Japanese blogs, I assumed they'd finally gotten around to addressing the Trafalgar-class carrier mentioned in the novels and MSV series (and depicted in Gihren's Greed). If it's based on a Salamis, then it's probably something entirely different, but I'm still curious to see it. I'm sure page scans will be circulating soon enough, though, so no need to scan it just for my benefit. :-)

-- Mark
Chris
Administrator

toysdream wrote:I'm sure page scans will be circulating soon enough, though, so no need to scan it just for my benefit. :-)
Of course, he could always scan it for my benefit. :lol:
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Cardi Doorl

Deacon Blues wrote:I can scan if you'd like :D
Nah, I doubt anyone here is interested in a new Gundam-related thing, thanks.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Deacon Blues

I'll be kind:

http://www.zeonic-republic.net/MSV-R/VOL33-0102.jpg
http://www.zeonic-republic.net/MSV-R/VOL33-0304.jpg
http://www.zeonic-republic.net/MSV-R/VOL33-05.jpg

Let me know if we need larger scans :)

Lame backstory is lame :/ Way to finish the refitting AFTER the war ends... idiots.
JEFFPIATT

Those look like missing links between the Pegasus class and core fighter units. the FF-S5 looks a lot like an EA jet from the CE era but with the design style of the classic 0079 units.
toysdream

Thanks, Deacon! Kind of a big nothing in terms of back story, but at least they acknowledge the Trafalgar class in the writeup. :-)

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

Thanks for the scans Deacon.

My main question would be, how many MS can this cruiser carry?

I'm guessing that since it was finished after the end of the war, it was rejected in favor of the more heavily armed Salamis Kai from 0083.

Finally, any relevant info regarding the new fighter?
mcred23

Is there anything in there about why its length is listed as only 228 meters long, instead of the usual 288 for the One Year War Salamis, or is that just another case of the sources being silly and inconsistent again?

And yeah, what's the story on that FF-S5?
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Zeonista

Oooo, shiny! Nelson looks like a Pegasus II lite, which might account for her being painted in USCG colors. :D Lame-0 back story aside, it was probably someone's nifty idea which was just too late to make a name for itself in the OYW. A few real-life weapons have been like that, so I can accept the lack of battle honors. Considering that Admiral Wyatt and his ilk were in charge of the EFSF for a while, the idea of a light-armed GM hauler probably got tossed in favor of that dinosaur Birmingham and the Short Sally class. :roll:

Operations-wise it seems comparable to the training ship from F91. I imagine that it would carry 4-6 MS or little core fighter-types, but be better able to launch and recover them than the Salamis Kai version. 228 meters seems about right in length given the catapult to deck ratio, and the minimal main armament, no doubt pared down to allow more space for transported mecha needs.

I will make a note of this one for future RPG reference. It would make a nice AEUG hero ride, or a nifty Neo-Zeon/Zeon Remnant target.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
toysdream

As far as the Salamis length specs, these have been all over the place ever since Gundam 0083 came out. (So, what, for the last 20 years or so?) Gundam Officials plumped for an overall length of 228 meters, which the writer appears to have pulled out of thin air; all the other vehicle specs in that book come from the Roman Album books, but the Roman Albums said it was 288 meters long, so perhaps this was purely a typo. In any case, it seems to have more or less stuck.

Based on the Zeta Gundam designs, the Salamis kind of has to be closer to 300 meters for the hull to be high enough for a standing mobile suit. I suspect the same would be true of the Nelson class, but I haven't tried measuring it. Likewise, although we don't have width specs for the Raven Sword, the hangar deck obviously needs to be wide enough to fit it, so we could try guesstimating the fighter's width and then scale from that.

-- Mark
flamingtroll

I just want to say how much better a Salamis/Nelson would look with a stripe. There needs to be more ships with stripes in Gundam.
Imperial

Funny. Based on some images from Gihren's Greed that I've seen floating around on these very boards, I had always envisioned the Trafalgar as a Salamis (or, better yet, a Magellan) with Columbus-style shipping containers slapped on both sides to emulate the White Base's "peg leg" style of MS compartments.

MSV-R seems to have taken this idea to heart with the Nelson.

I'm curious to see what the writeup apparently has to say about the Trafalgar, though. Mark mentioned it, even if I'm assuming it's something as simple as "...loosely related to the rarely seen Trafalgar-class."
This space for rent
toysdream

That's exactly what the Trafalgar is - a Magellan with carrier decks slapped onto the sides. As I noted in this thread, it's described in some detail in the old MSV Handbooks.

According to the MSV-R feature on the Nelson class: "The basic concept of attaching cargo bays to the sides of the hull was similar to the previously completed and deployed Trafalgar class. The Nelson class, however, was developed in order to produce a vessel capable of the most effective MS operation in a short time."

P.S. On the size thing, I note that the line art shows the Nelson's cargo bays as being about 1/15 as high as the ship is long. So if the ship really is 228 meters long, they'd only be 15 meters high. If the ship is 288 meters long, they'd be closer to 20 meters high, barely enough to fit a standing GM.

-- Mark
ShadowCell

man, i saw a new post in this thread and was almost expecting an MSV-R scan for that ice cream-dispensing robot at Jaburo in the TV series
Gelgoog Jager

New MSV-R: Dozle's Rick Dom?

It seems the SAF commander didn't intend to switch directly from a customized Zaku to the Big Zam after all.

I'm 99% this unit is Dozle's since its decorations resemble those of his custom Zaku. It even seems to be carrying the same oversized heat hawk on its back.

I wonder if Dozle ever piloted it?
AmuroNT1

That's exactly what it is. It's hard to tell because the info box is distorted, but its weapons seem to be the scattering chest cannon, giant baz, and the large custom heat hawk from his Zaku.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Imperial

As amazingly unnecessary as the Dozle Custom Rick Dom is, I love it. The Zabi custom suits are so guady I can't help but love them.
This space for rent
JEFFPIATT

the rockets must be painful on the gold trim. the custom MS are based on the 1st world war aircraft paint schemes while the EFSF stuck to WW2 nose art on the GM shoulder armor.
Homeless

"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain