Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Flame-X

Re: Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

I just copied the HD ver screenshot from GundamGuy's blog which is obviously a youtube screen capture. http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2011/12/g ... video.html
The original was from my dvd rip.
solzen blue

I can barely tell the difference between the original and HD, though what mind boggles me most is the youtube video. Why upload a preview for an HD remaster in 360p? ._.

Also, does anyone know if this December airing is going to be restricted to online viewers in Japan only?
Raiden

they probably ripped it from youku or something so thats probably why its 360p.

And yea its pretty much guaranteed to be Asia only streamed. English subs may be included but for Asian countries only seeing as how AGE on youtube with subs was restricted.
JEFFPIATT

I would have thought that with seed being computer animated they could just reload the models and re-film at 16:9. the older series were stored in film form so the HD versions scanned the cleaned film footage and removed any matting done for it's tv broadcast.
Chris
Administrator

JEFFPIATT wrote:I would have thought that with seed being computer animated they could just reload the models and re-film at 16:9. the older series were stored in film form so the HD versions scanned the cleaned film footage and removed any matting done for it's tv broadcast.
If you compose something and draw it to be viewed in a 4:3 square, there's no way to just turn it into 16:9. The Blu-rays for older shows like Z and ZZ are still 4:3.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
valkyriepilot

Chris wrote:
JEFFPIATT wrote:I would have thought that with seed being computer animated they could just reload the models and re-film at 16:9. the older series were stored in film form so the HD versions scanned the cleaned film footage and removed any matting done for it's tv broadcast.
If you compose something and draw it to be viewed in a 4:3 square, there's no way to just turn it into 16:9. The Blu-rays for older shows like Z and ZZ are still 4:3.
Unless they go the Dragon Ball Kai route, cropping the top and bottom of the originals to create a 16:9...
Dark Duel

Which from what I've seen is precisely what's being done with Seed.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

valkyriepilot wrote:
Chris wrote:
Unless they go the Dragon Ball Kai route, cropping the top and bottom of the originals to create a 16:9...
Yes, that's precisely what I and others have said before. But that's butchering the footage and giving you an inferior product. There's no way to preserve the footage *and* make it 16:9. Cropping the top and bottom or stretching out the sides is crap.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
kayone73

Dark Duel wrote:Which from what I've seen is precisely what's being done with Seed.
because to most idiots, it's not 'HD' unless it's 'widescreen' and vice versa.
Deacon Blues

So Gundam.info put up the first episode of the SEED remaster... and we've got quite a few changes.

- Red Frame is cut from the opening animation. Miguel's GINN has a larger role.
- Murrue boobs are no longer present... instead it's FLLAY BOOBS! in a new cut sequence
- Various things were touched up nicely throughout the episode, like the pan-up of the hourglass colonies in the beginning and debris being blown away when the Strike stands up.
- Ending is remixed

I skipped around, but the HD remaster looks nice. Things weren't really cut off as expected.

So... now that Red Frame is cut, does that make Astray unofficial again? :P
Dark Duel

Deacon Blues wrote:So... now that Red Frame is cut, does that make Astray unofficial again? :P
I would say NOT, as even if it's not in this version it's still in the original version. Now, if the Duel's hyper bazooka ever appears in this version of the series(not bloody likely IMO), THEN we can possibly consider Astray to've been at least partially rendered "unofficial".
Interestingly, the Kira/Lacus and Athrun/Cagalli clips from one of the later OP videos was included in this one - pointless though it is(Not as pointless as red-nekkid-boobie-bounce-Flay, but still). Other than that, nothing to write home about so far. Other than a somewhat lackluster remix of the ED theme and the inclusion in the OP clip of Miguel's custom GINN (which as far as I could tell he's not even piloting in this episode) and a few random still shots of the Le Creuset Team pilots, it looked like exactly the same episode I've already seen six times before.

The only disappointing part is, the few moments' worth of added material from the SEs that flesh out Rusty a bit(or at least give us a face to match to the name), which I very much appreciated and could easily have been squeezed in, were not included as far as I could tell.

But pretty much par for the course - a rehash with marginally tweaked animation, nothing more so far. We'll see what develops later on.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
azrael

Dark Duel wrote:Other than that, nothing to write home about so far. Other than a somewhat lackluster remix of the ED theme and the inclusion in the OP clip of Miguel's custom GINN (which as far as I could tell he's not even piloting in this episode) and a few random still shots of the Le Creuset Team pilots, it looked like exactly the same episode I've already seen six times before.
Isn't the backstory on why Miguel didn't pilot his custom GINN was because it was damaged in a previous fight...like the one in the opening. :lol:
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
ShadowCell

The backstory came from a brief story at the end of one of the ASTRAY volumes. Miguel fights Gai, kinda wins at the cost of some damage to his GINN, but Gai manages to destroy a ZAFT supply base anyway. Then they go to Heliopolis with Miguel piloting an ordinary GINN, and he gets kerploded.

At this rate, someday they're going to remake Gundam SEED entirely to make Miguel an actually important character.
Raiden

I guess they threw in Miguel's Ginn in the OP just to sell that particular HG. But really since it was one of x amount of stock footage they use and if they could re-color it there, it could have been easy to do so for his Ginn in the actual episode. But eh whatever.

Didn't think the Evangelion esque name title card flashing thing was necessary. But the animation of Strike fighting Duel, Buster, and Blitz in the atmosphere for a few brief seconds looked nice.
Deathzealot

Just watched the First Remastered SEED Episode and I must agree with everyone else. It looks like the same thing I have been rewatching for the last few years. Though I have noticed bits and pieces have been slightly changed. For example the opening onto Heliopolis has moving shots of the various civilians going about their lives instead of simple still shots. Also is it just me or has the animation been changed, for it seems like it then again it maybe a side-effect of the change to HD.

On another note it seems like some of the pacing has been changed slightly. Then again that maybe from not watching the entire complete episode in a long while. I had though that some of the VAs have been changed but now that I looked over an old original episode specifically from one of my own DVDs and it appears the same.

:| /shrug/

As for the opening I really did like some of the changes there. Granted there are small things, and I wonder about the one shot of the names of the ZAFT Four, along with Miguel, on a black background. What was up with that? :?

Anyways that is my two-cents on it.
HellCat

I missed the orange GINN in the OP but now I'm aware of it I'm dissapointed. We've already got at least two TM Revolution avatars in CE. Do we really need to draw more attention to the one who at least wasn't overrated? It just feels so 'showbiz palsy' and distracting.

I thought the PLANT pan had been improved so good to know I was right. Kinda wish they'd touched up the scene with Flay and her friends though, the off model nature there really stands out.

I do agree it would have been nice to see the Rusty scenes added in given the nature of this project. For newer audiences especially it would add more weight rather than just another 'Shouting out random Western name!'

Are they using the same subs as the R1 DVDs? In particular I noticed they kept Yzak's "The Naturals are such blockheads" from that script (compare to the dub where it's a more racist 'The Naturals are so pathetic and weak').

Also, am I the only one who felt the sound was poor? All the dialogue seemed to be a VERY raw mix, to the point you could clearly tell it originated as actor's in a studio. Trying to do too much with the soundtrack and just making it worse?
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
darkhunger

HellCat wrote:Are they using the same subs as the R1 DVDs? In particular I noticed they kept Yzak's "The Naturals are such blockheads" from that script (compare to the dub where it's a more racist 'The Naturals are so pathetic and weak').
Same subs as the R1s.
Raiden

Some screenshots of notable newly re-done scenes. Moves so fast that i hardly recognized it, though this is also because its been a while since i saw SEED.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2011/12/g ... mment-form
Dark Duel

I also noticed that the Strike's armament display screen from the first fight against Miguel's been redone, and the spelling's been fixed.
But other than that and the slightly tweaked punch to the face, nothing really struck me as being any different from the original.
Still, IIRC this thing's supposed to be two episodes shorter than Seed was. Well, we'll see.

AmuroNT1

The one that really gets me is a screencap that was posted to /m/ comparing a simple scene of Kira talking. Looking at them side-by-side, I honestly prefer the older one; it looks just fine without needing to be remastered, but on top of that the character design was changed to the later look, meaning that whatever distinct traits Kira had at first were removed and replaced with the same rounded generic Hisashi Hirai face that's become such a meme with anime fans. I guess it just goes to show that new isn't automatically improved.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power