Western Mecha Series

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
abaoaqu

Western Mecha Series

Anyone else out there think North America should start staking its claims in the Mecha genre of Sci-Fi?

Personally, I think it would be a refreshing break from crime scene dramas and idiots reality television...
Сиг Зион!
Sume Gai

Re: Western Mecha Series

could be interesting but I'm afraid it's fairly close to impossible Giant Robots as anything other then animation would be hellishly expensive The general public still bear the "Animation = Kids" Stigma. So sadly there's really no room for mecha on prime time and even if there was the profit margins would probably be -tiny- compared to those relatively cheaper to produce shows.

Looking at kids shows we certainly see some good stuff from American minds (Transformers Animated, Transformers Prime and Voltron Force are recent examples [though I'm not sure how good that last entry turned out to be]) Though if you're looking for something more in the Real Robot genre on American TV, you may be disappointed. But don't loose hope, A good American made Real robot series is bound to come along eventually. Robotech and Wing were both big hits here in the United States so it is only a matter of time before someone tries to make something similar.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
yazi88

There was a animated series about Battletech which also had some very interesting english style japanese dialogue. Heavy Gear is a CG series along side with the CG series of Starship Troopers which also had the mechs. And then there is Megas XLR.

Unfortunately all of the fore mentioned shows were either canceled or only had 1 season. Megas XLR is still quite popular but doesn't even have a DVD release. Most of these shows went against the mainstream theme of cartoons back then but still had some appeal to people who enjoyed a somewhat darker and serious shows Gargoyles and the 90s Batman series, and X-men.
reeoyuy

Exo Squad, anyone? Give it a sequel, or a reboot, or maybe live action TV series.
ORegan

Titan Maximum anyone? ;)

Maybe Seth Macfarlene will make another Family Guy, only with robot pilots. :P

mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
YokozunaBulldozer

GO! MIGHTY OR~BOTS! :P
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
VinnieAve

From the descriptions I've read it sounds like there will be mechs in Pacific Rim.
Ziryab

Almost as recent as Voltron Force (it hu~rts) & Transformers Prime that's worth checking out was Cartoon Network's Sym-Bionic Titan. Sadly it only got one season--didn't help that they kept holding episodes or moving the time slot--but I rather enjoyed and not just for its numerous homages to Japanese mecha and 70s era anime.

Live action, can we count Real Steel movie? And for my own sense of humor, coming outta the 90s: Robot Jox & Crash and Burn :lol:

I sadly doubt we'll see western mecha, real or otherwise, that'll be anything other than a bit player in a movie or miniseries. :(
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Darth Nichos

It got a brief tv series but there is Battletech- it has novels, sourcebooks, is a miniature game, and has an excellent back story
nacho-wan

I don't know, hard sci-fi is quite hard to do. Let alone huge mechanical behemots. At the most we might get a BattleStar Galactica type of show on cable TV.

If Hollywood does the Robotech movie that might change dough
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
abaoaqu

I feel that it must be done, regardless.
Сиг Зион!
ShadowCell

please don't dig up old threads for no reason.

locked.