The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
BlackLion

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk II

NastyNate wrote:
BlackLion wrote:I don't mind another series if it adds more MS variants and designs, as well as flesh out some of the side characters, but it doesn't need to be dark and gritty to try to appeal to the other fans.

Among Unicorn, Age, The Origin, Exa, and Glory of Losers there should be something Gundam for EVERY part of the fandom going on right now. No need for overlap.
What is Exa, and Glory of Losers?
I believe Exa is a new Gundam manga series that has its characters jumping between universes. Glory of Losers is the new manga remake of Gundam Wing that includes the Katoki designs for the early Gundams as well as elaborating and filling in the story with the material from the side projects.
PowerdGNFlag

You may have known Glory of Losers previously as "Glory of the Defeated".

Back to topic, I do hope that this new story (in whatever form it may take) flesh out more concepts of the AGE-universe, particularly the past wars they keep on teasing about. What they're doing in the opening narration makes me feel that I was watching Endless Waltz with zero knowledge of Wing.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
reeoyuy

Could it be that they're talking about these sidestories? I mean, Tsutomu Nihei's art is definitely "dark".
Andrew86

I finally watched this episode. This series is weird...I mean there are things that are certainly cool, and it has good moments, but there are so many baffling and dumb things that happen it is kind of hard to deal with sometimes.

I think it is a very good "just watch, don't ask questions" type of show as it is fun but the second you try to make logical sense of anything it is a mess.
Sume Gai

Andrew86 wrote:but there are so many baffling and dumb things that happen it is kind of hard to deal with sometimes.
Do you care to elaborate what these are? I've watched fairly closely and have a few technical questions I'd like answered (armor material mainly) but hardly find it consistently baffling or dumb.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Andrew86

Yeah sorry I tend to rattle off my opinions a bit quick, but I'd say...

The Fardain MS and the fact that they are still using those weapons and through all the preparations they did not consider they literally cannot damage the enemies...

The fact that the Good Guys were even in this battle let alone "won it" was pretty hard to believe in of itself. Don having a whole new level of plot armor where we watch him explode literally his face was enveloped in light, yet we see him a few moments later with what a missing arm or leg? again with Desil's MS we see flit make numerous clear slices through mulitple parts of the MS and there is a HUGE explosion which results in.....a lost leg and arm. Flit even being sad about Don, even though he saw a bunch of other suits destroyed which probably had actual decent human beings in them as opposed to a rich ass hole that held him captive and saw no problem waging meaningless battles around civilians for countless years. Oh and the "HUMANS WOULD NEVER KILL HUMANS!" huh...?

All of the "time out" while we step out of the way of massive amounts of beam spam to have conversations. I know there is mid battle dialogue a shit ton in UC and even that becomes unbelievable but at least they seem like they are fighting to some degree (or are newtypes thus making it possible to do both simultaneously). Especially when one of the suits engaged in said conversation is one of two in the entire fleet that can actually hurt you! The complete lack of consistency with the UE fighting forces, dominate and ruthless one moment and foolish the next. Also we just heard that the whole crew was now considered vigilantes the previous episode and fears the repercussions of the Federation, yet they got a very polite message in return that wished them good luck in there battle...? Am I missing something?
Last edited by Andrew86 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I suppose I better answer this one. Seriously though, a lot of your "problems" can be answered with common sense.
Andrew86 wrote:Yeah sorry I tend to rattle off my opinions a bit quick, but I'd say...

The Fardain MS and the fact that they are still using those weapons and through all the preparations they did not consider they literally cannot damage the enemies...

The fact that the Good Guys were even in this battle let alone "won it" was pretty hard to believe in of itself. Don having a whole new level of plot armor where we watch him explode literally his face was enveloped in light, yet we see him a few moments later with what a missing arm or leg? again with Desil's MS we see flit make numerous clear slices through mulitple parts of the MS and there is a HUGE explosion which results in.....a lost leg and arm. Flit even being sad about Don, even though he saw a bunch of other suits destroyed which probably had actual decent human beings in them as opposed to a rich ass hole that held him captive and saw no problem waging meaningless battles around civilians for countless years. Oh and the "HUMANS WOULD NEVER KILL HUMANS!" huh...?

All of the "time out" while we step out of the way of massive amounts of beam spam to have conversations. I know there is mid battle dialogue a ZOINKS ton in UC and even that becomes unbelievable but at least they seem like they are fighting to some degree (or are newtypes thus making it possible to do both simultaneously). Especially when one of the suits engaged in said conversation is one of two in the entire fleet that can actually hurt you! The complete lack of consistency with the UE fighting forces, dominate and ruthless one moment and foolish the next. Also we just heard that the whole crew was now considered vigilantes the previous episode and fears the repercussions of the Federation, yet they got a very polite message in return that wished them good luck in there battle...? Am I missing something?
First of all, what did you expect the Fardain MS to do? Somehow prepare new weapons that would be able to defeat the UE (especially since they barely had enough time to prepare for their arrival)? How would they do this so quickly...and even if they had days, I doubt they would be able to craft new weapons to mass-produce on a large scale. It is not like people have extensive knowledge on how the UE armor works. And even if they did...again, HOW would they make new weapons to damage the UE...and do it so quickly? That is why, in the episode, they used the tactic where the Fardain Mobile Suits distracted the UE while the Gundam and Diva team took out a majority of the mobile suits.

As for Don's "plot armor." In Gundam we have seen many times where a big explosion "takes out" a suit then the person appears latter with some missing limbs on their MS. Besides, Don's suit was trashed armor wise as well as losing its limbs and from what we have seen from Fardain Mobile suits, is that their armor is pretty strong all things considered (I am remembering some machine gun hits on their mobile suits when the "Civil War" was still going on, and them taking no damage. They make their mobile suits tough I suppose).

And yes, Flit was making several cuts, but it happened so fast and quickly, that I suppose Flit didn't aim for its main body...and if he did, then Desil's controlled MS must have been made out of tougher stuff then the mass-produced UE suits. Huh, kind of like every other villain's personal mobile suit.

As for Flit being sad...well it is hard sympathize with people you have never met, especially when those said people are in faceless mobile suits. Flit met Don, he talked to him off and on the battlefield...and he even gave Flit some advice on how to live, right before he kicked the bucket. Some of his last words were DIRECTED at a impressionable 14 year old! Someone who is still new to the situation of being in war...and besides I think Don's sacrifice proves he is not a "rich ass hole" but actually a decent person. Besides, as for all those other Fardain MS...who is more foolish? The fool or the fools who follow him? Flit was sad about losing someone he met and someone who started to listen and fight against humanities enemy...it made perfect sense why he was sad. Notice though, how he wasn't so unbelievable sad so that he couldn't continue the fight. No. Flit gritted his teeth and moved on to stop anyone else from dying.

And I believe someone else said this in answer to your complaint about Flit's comment about how, "Humans would never kill humans." Ok...are people just forgetting who Flit is? He is a sweet little boy who wants to fulfill his mother's wishes by using the Gundam Age to fight in a war. A war he is too young and naive to understand. Flit believes in the good of all people. He is trusting in humanity and doesn't believe that people can just be bad. I think Flit's naivety is one of the things that makes him such a interesting character...and I still can not figure out why people are so shocked by Flit saying this.

Congrats guys, you know the world is not that nice of a place. Congrats on being a mature cynic. Flit isn't like you or me. Even with the death of his mother, Flit seems kind of sheltered during the time he grew up on Nora...which might make him believe that humanity is a shining beacon that deserves to be saved with the Gundam. Then again, perhaps psychologically, Flit refused to believe that his mother was killed by human beings, he made himself believe the (probably false) rumors about the UE being aliens because it allowed him to keep believing in the strangers that took him in and gave him a home on Nora...even though the same humanity he wants to protect...might be causing all the hardship and death with the UE. Can you blame him for saying such a naive statement when you look at his characters past and actually think about it?

And I am confused...when do these time outs take place? When Don is crashing his mobile suit into the mothership? Huh...someone should have told his henchmen that it was a timeout to...so they shouldn't have bothered dying to protect him from the UE that was trying to shoot him down. Again, where does the times when the UE acts "foolish" take place?

Oh and the Federation wasn't polite in anyway, shape, or form. If you would read between the lines, they basically told the Diva's crew, "good luck on getting yourself killed pointlessly...it really saves us a lot of trouble. Yep, we aren't going to lift a finger to help you."

:?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
reeoyuy

Andrew86 wrote:Also we just heard that the whole crew was now considered vigilantes the previous episode and fears the repercussions of the Federation, yet they got a very polite message in return that wished them good luck in there battle...? Am I missing something?
Yes, you're missing one thing: Grodek said that they WILL be considered as vigilantes if they decided to follow him, not "was considered vigilantes" like you said. At that point the Feds still believe that the rest of Diva crew except Grodek were innocent, and thus they treat Adams' request as a normal one.
DuelGundam2099

I'm calling it now: Yurin's an alien; the UE no but her apparent liking to stars makes me wonder. Not much to comment on this ep, but next ep she shares a scene with Desil so maybe some more stuff will be eventually revealed.
zerogradius

With Flit and Yurin's relationship developing, looks like we have a solid love triangle here, though Emily looks to have been boxed out already. If Emily does end up being the mother of Flit's son, it will be because Yurin either dies or disappears.

And the fact that Dique as well as everyone else believes the UE to be aliens, I suspect that they aren't. They are most likely humans who were either exiled or left the Earth as a result of the wars centuries ago and have returned for revenge or reclaim what they believe is theirs.

While the UE probably aren't alien, it is possible that they encountered aliens, thus leading to their technological superiority.
Destiny_Gundam

DuelGundam2099 wrote:I'm calling it now: Yurin's an alien; the UE no but her apparent liking to stars makes me wonder.
Liking stars means you're an alien? I doubt it. She even talks about losing her parents and little brother to the UE and being put up for adoption. You'd think they'd run some kind of medical tests on her at some point during that process.

This episode brought up something I hadn't really considered before: what kind of situation the Earth is in. So far the series has entirely taken place in space and we haven't seen so much as a glimpse of the Earth's surface. All this talk about the colony being like "old Earth" suggests that Earth has lost a lot of its greenery and might be more of a wasteland or is severely overdeveloped.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
ShadowCell

Clearly, I need to start carrying around a supply of chocolate bars that I can angrily bite to punctuate my points.
hotlimit

ShadowCell wrote:Clearly, I need to start carrying around a supply of chocolate bars that I can angrily bite to punctuate my points.
What kills me is that you never see him finishing one! It's like he takes a bite, throws it away, and grabs another!
latenlazy

Lotta chocolate bars you can hide in that trench coat though.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I’m way behind on my reviews for Gundam AGE, well almost everything really. So what I’m going to is do episodes 7-9 in one review and do separate entries for 10 and 11, with episode 11 premiering today.

So, on to Gundam AGE. In episode 7 we get the fallout from Flit’s short-lived, blink-and-you-miss-it fight with a new UE MS. He gets taken over to Don Boyage’s place and finds Captain Grodek (aka DAT BEARD, aka Cool Hand Grodek). Don proves that he’s a bit of a slimy customer, wanting to buy the Gundam from Flit so he can perpetuate the pointless battles between the Zalam and Euba factions on Fardain. At this point I have to interject and say a couple of things. First off, if you look at the Zalam logo carefully you’ll realize that it looks a lot like the ZAFT logo from Gundam SEED. Secondly I have to comment on these factions. Since we first heard about them in episode 6, I had a lot of time to ponder on their contribution to the story. I originally figured that I wouldn't be commenting on this stuff until I got to episode 10 but I been slacking. So let me say this: Zalam and Euba seem like they belong in a different series all together. They run around the city using the worst mobile suit peashooters ever to try and fight each other with in some nod towards 1920’s gang shootouts. Don Boyage (who just happens to be part of Zalam) at first seemed like some shady arms dealer but now is this crusty old Zalam guy who wants to fight over territory. Then this guy called Ract Elfamel (and I’m really getting tired of weird, made-up names in this show) shows up from the Euba side of things and starts acting like Treize’s secret apprentice. He also seems to be related to Chara Soone from ZZ Gundam with his bi-colored hairstyle. The one nice thing about the episode is that the new UE suit, the Baqto, shows up. Flit tries to fight it but its armor is too thick. Luckily for our resident Gundam jockey, that magical AGE System is cooking up something big in the AGE Builder. They totally fake us out though by just having the new Gundam AGE Titus show up and just do one punch before posing for the end credits.
I also would like to make mention that they almost seem to deliberately bring in a group of war orphans, almost like they know certain people are going to get that particular joke. But boy am I glad those damn kids aren’t sticking around. Professor Grandpa has enough to deal with without a buncha dirty kids onboard the ship.
Rolling right into episode 8, the new Gundam AGE Titus delivers a smackdown worthy of The Rock. I’m liking the Titus much more than the normal mode, mostly because it’s been such a long time since we’ve had a beat-‘em-up Gundam, not since Mobile Fighter G Gundam in 1994. It’s beam spikes and lariats are pretty novel and just the sheer novelty of a Gundam dealing out REAL SOVIET DAMAGE brings a grin to my face. But the spotlight gets stolen a little bit from the Titus as our boy Wuulf Enneacle shows up in his brand new suit, the G-Exes. It’s a pretty awesome scene as he proceeds to charge into battle and whilst fighting lists the reasons why his mobile suit is so great. After dealing a fatal blow to a Baqto he confidently states the best reason the G-Exes is so good is because, “I, Wuulf Enneacle, am its pilot.” Okay Bandai, we get it, we’ll go out and by an HG G-Exes… not. :p ☺
Also, our favorite Don and this Ract joker settle their differences somewhat, although I was glad that they actually didn’t shake hands, acknowledging that their little feud isn’t going to be overcome so easily. Although the story doesn’t move forward too much, the awesomeness with the Titus and G-Exes makes up for it. But as we’ll see shortly…
In episode 9 we have Wuulf dragging Flit and the crew over to the Madorna Workshop to meet the man himself and his wife Lalaparly (there’s them weird names again). It is here we see some funky customized mobile suits including the Shalldolls that everyone’s been wondering about. There’s also a real shocker when Flit and the others find out that Madorna has a UE Zedas mobile suit that he’s been working on. Here we have mention of the mysterious Yark Dole again and that he seems to be some kind of shady weapons dealer. Um, wasn’t Don Boyage supposed to be a weapons dealer? Anywho, in a not too surprising twist the Zedas activates and begins spreading death and destruction. But oh no! Flit and Wuulf don’t have their MS with them! Don’t worry it’s the Shalldoll to the rescue… even though it seems to be even more useless than a Leo. But Wuulf and Flit get their suits via space mail and attack. But there’s just one small problem: The agile Zedas is making a fool out of the Titus. Looks like Flit is going to need another upgrade from the AGE System! Luckily for Flit and Wuulf, Decil pulls a Ribbons and has the Zedas back off. After that a couple more important things happen. Emily has a talk with Lalaparly that helps straighten her out a bit where Flit is concerned because that was getting kind of annoying. Although I would like more of that straightening out to be done between Flit and Emily rather than a third party. We’ve still got some episodes left so we’ll have to see.
Grodek’s secret is also reveled to the crew and he tells them he won’t drag them along, but if they want to beat the UE, he has a plan and knows where they are. All of the crew agree to stand behind them and fight the scourge of the UE (especially since the Feds aren’t doing jack-diddly about it), except for Ensign Adams aka Ensign Zinger. What will this mean for the crew of the Diva?

So there you have it, episodes 7-9. Not too shabby but a little on the slow side and I’m really not liking the Zalam and Euba stuff. I’ll get into that in the review for episode 10. When all is said and done, I give 7 and 9 three stars and 8 four stars for Titus and G-Exes action. And remember, in Soviet Russia, Gundam punch you!

Additional: There’s been some stories saying that Gundam AGE is slated for a 52 episode run. If true, that will make it the longest main Gundam series, beating out Victory Gundam’s record by 1 episode. I stated a theory about how they’re going to run this multi-generational story and now that it seems we have a statement about episode count, I think I may be right. So each generational arc should get 17 episodes to play out, depending on how the story is going to run. I’m willing to be that the third generation will get the extra episode to finish the series, or they’ll use it as a re-cap show. After SEED Destiny, as long as we only have one or two clip shows, I’m alright.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
HellCat

ShadowCell wrote:Clearly, I need to start carrying around a supply of chocolate bars that I can angrily bite to punctuate my points.
It's the Bandai and Mars Bar Quick Energy Chocobot Hour.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
zerogradius

I noticed that the Genoaces used by the Federation were of a different color than the one Largan uses, which makes me wonder if his MS has a custom paint job. Also, it seems there is another love triangle brewing between Largan, Woolf and Millie. I don't remember seeing any indication that Largan likes Millie, so I don't know where his jealously came from all of a sudden. This just emboldens my belief that Largan will die, or perhaps they will pull a fast one on us and kill off Woolf instead. You can't have a good love triangle in Gundam without someone dying, after all.
Destiny_Gundam

Yeah when I saw that I envisioned how Largan will take a hit for Woolf, telling him he has to live and be with Millie.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

zerogradius wrote:I noticed that the Genoaces used by the Federation were of a different color than the one Largan uses, which makes me wonder if his MS has a custom paint job.
I don't think so. At the Madorna workshop we saw at least a row or two of stock Genoaces, and they were all in the same colors as Largan's. We certainly have enough precedent in Gundam for grunt suits having different colors depending on where they are posted.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
zerogradius

Yeah, that's right. I forgot about that.

And speaking of Madorna, I don't understand why they don't ask him to upgrade Largan's Genoace or at least its weaponry. Though it may be more advanced than the Euba and Zalam suits, it's just as useless since it can't damage the enemy at all. It's tough to tell how good of a pilot Largan is since he only uses that weak MS, and unfortunately he is quickly becoming one of the most useless MS pilots in Gundam because of it.