Ep. 091 - Age of Unicorns

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 091 - Age of Unicorns

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 091 - "Age of Unicorns"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 155 min., 59 sec. (2:35:59) - 71.4 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:21:17 (Duration: 0:20:34)

02. Be a Part of "Gundam: Rise From the Ashes"! (Special Manga Project by Eric Keith & Mike Fonteccio)
Runtime: 0:21:17 - 0:23:49 (Duration: 0:02:32)

03. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:23:49 - 0:24:49 (Duration: 0:01:00)

04. 1st Segment: Roundtable Discussion: "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Episode 4" (OVA)
Runtime: 0:24:49 - 1:11:19 (Duration: 0:46:30)

05. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:11:19 - 1:12:24 (Duration: 0:01:05)

06. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:12:24 - 1:13:14 (Duration: 0:00:50)

07. 2nd Segment: "Mobile Suit Gundam AGE - Generation One - Episodes 5 - 8 Review" (Discussion)
Runtime: 1:13:14 - 1:55:09 (Duration: 0:41:55)

08. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:55:09 - 1:55:48 (Duration: 0:00:39)

09. Method to Madness (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:55:48 - 1:56:32 (Duration: 0:00:44)

10. Outro: "The Gundamn Mailbag!/Closing/Soul Bro's Shoutouts!/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:56:32 - 2:35:59 (Duration: 0:39:27)

Join the crew for a Gundam double feature! Reviews of Unicorn Ep. 4 & AGE Eps. 5-8! Strap in!

Want to ask us a question that could be played during a future episode? Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

(Technical Note: We're working on having the automatically inserted PETCO ad at the start of the show be removed by MEVIO. As soon as it is, the segment time markers will be updated.)

Peep these Links also!:
- Chaos Theater: Episode 017 - Dark City & Gattaca (Mechatalk Thread)
- Chaos Theater: Episode 018 - Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (Mechatalk Thread)
- Laplace's Box: Episode 004 - Models of the Year (Mechatalk Thread)
- Shinjuku Fight Club: Episode 002 - Fighting Freaks! (FightersReady.net Thread)

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 091 - Age of Unicorns

Haven't listened to the whole episode since haven't seen Unicorn Episode 4 or Gundam AGE.
But anyway I wanted to say thanks for answering the Voicemail I left, BUT then again I actually messed it up.
I meant to put Iron Mask instead of 1 of the 2 entries, oh well.

As for Voltron as I said in my mailbag response, Chris.
I actually made that assumption based off a previous comment of yours calling it "over rated" I'm not one of the haters circling the internet :P
So glad you clarified that, simillarly for Neo.

And unfortunately it's not the last you will hear of Voltron from me or anyone else :P (guarranteed)
Andrew_Graruru

Loni's whole characterisation was a major mis-step, in what I consider an otherwise good episode. I understand that with only an hour of content and an ensemble cast you have to be economical with your time, so I'm fine with them making her and Banagher's relationship newtype-based. But as you guys pointed out, there's just nothing sympathetic about her as a character. One of the things I've praised Unicorn for is how it fleshes out the villains motivation, so to have the villain of this episode commit mass-murder because of a petty grudge was extremely disappointing. Similarly, if Banagher's doesn't pull a Daisaku Kusama and man-up I may have to re-think my stance on the OAV as a whole.

I do think the episode still works, mostly because of the the first-half. That Diner scene is easily one of my favourite scenes in Gundam. I understand the complaints about the action being onesided, though I generally dislike Gundam action anyway.

Here's my main question. This series is the highest selling OAV of all time. Episode 4 was the highest selling animation in Japan in its first week. WHY couldn't the Earth Arc be two episodes? They were clearly biting off more than they could chew here, and while I think they did admirably in trying to streamline this arc, it could have been so much more.

I'm less worried about the future of this series. The problems with ep 4 stem from time constraints, but Fukui's comments at the ep 4 premier make me fairly confident we're gonna get a movie to wrap this all up. "I think what's one everyone's mind is the conclusion. (laughs) Don't worry, we'll manage to finish it off like pros. Though there are a lot of ways to do that... I think you'll enjoy what we have in store." (Fukui)

After seeing episode 4, I'm sure you're all wondering "How will it end?" We'll have a special announcement about the ending when episode 5 premieres.
Check out my (awful) podcast. Anime Graruru.
Wingnut

Uh, Soul Bro. The details for the Argama contest are still not on the site and the episode is out.
Shame on you.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Soul Bro Ryu

Wingnut wrote:Uh, Soul Bro. The details for the Argama contest are still not on the site and the episode is out.
Shame on you.
I should have have that done before the episode was posted but I'm ironing out one last detail for the contest. Watch this space, details will be up before the weekend is over.

I put myself on blast with what I said at the end of this episode. Sorry for not having the info posted earlier like I promised. ~_~
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
mobiusdiablo

Argama contest?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Chris
Administrator

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:I should have have that done before the episode was posted but I'm ironing out one last detail for the contest. Watch this space, details will be up before the weekend is over.
Details are the things you iron out BEFORE announcing things in public.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hotlimit

Hahah come on, Largan is totally a Soul Bro's man. He totally vanilla and has never got a chance to anything significant. Plus Dique is getting a little too interested in mobile suits to be written off as a loser, hahaha. I think in one of the future generations he'll be piloting a mass production Titus, haha.

Oh and watch what you say about Gundam Extreme VS, or you'll gonna get the nitpicking squad after you to tell you how it's completely different from every other VS game (and totally miss the point that $100+ is outrageous).
Koshernova

Great episode, guys! Your review of the AGE episodes has been making me itch to check it out myself, though maybe I'll wait until the first generation is up, see how it goes.

Re: Unicorn ep 4, I agree pretty much with most of your criticisms. Personally, I feel that the 'war and conflict are bad, bwaaaah' with Banagher was... see, that's totally cliche stuff, especially in Gundam, but I felt that it was a cut above the normal fare? Simply because I feel that Unicorn inserts more subtlety and complexity in those conversations, especially since it came in the context of him having had the manly heart to heart with Zinnerman (as well as a manly fist-to-face lol). So it didn't bother me that much, but I WAS bothered by him being all 'oh I have to save her'. That made NO sense at all, it's not like he was conflicted because he knew her or something.

It's clear the OAV changed things from the novel, as Loni makes no sense as a character. If they wanted to remove her plot with her parents, they could've, I dunno, made her a cyber-newtype that was Gilboa's daughter who was taken away from him. That would've been a (relatively) minor rewrite, it'd have given Banagher good context for not wanting to kill her (as he's still reeling from the guilt of murdering Gilboa) and she'd have had a better motivation to be as she was (cyber-newtype induced craziness). But yeah, big fail, the novel plotline was much more original and different, what we get in the anime is the typical 'murderous newtype piloting monster mobile armor' nonsense which has been done better elsewhere in UC.

Also? The Shamblo is very ugly, and I'm sorry but where the HELL did it come from? Seriously! It's one thing when the remnants all over earth are using outdated suits, but the Shamblo, seriously, where did that shit come from? And you're telling me the remnants, who are not officially sleeves, bothered wasting precious materials decorating the Shamblo with sleeves insignia?

Overall on the technical side of things the episode is full of holes, as you mentioned, regarding the remnants, and how they keep beating the Feddies. It's one thing if a Capule is engaged on equal grounds with a ZZ era GM III. It's another entirely when the Elephant does it. They may look similar, but the Capule is a ZZ-era suit, and the Elephant is a OYW-era suit, it should not be able to move fast enough to shoot down a single post-OYW suit, and yet IT DOES.

tl;dr it was hella cool seeing all those MSV suits and Bandai can take all my money when they make a HGUC of the Guncannon Detector.

Technical question about the podcast: how come you cannot remove the Petco ad yourselves? I'm curious as I make a podcast myself and I'd always be able to freely remove stuff like that in the editing process, maybe we do things vastly differently...
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Strike Zero

I'm finding it interesting just how much my opinion on episode 4 of Unicorn contrasts with the Gundamn! crew's; I actually thought that it was the best episode so far. In terms of the plot, the fact that not much really happened didn't really bother me at all, and I think it was because of the sheer scale of the action. Even since episode one, I've always been far more interested in the visuals and the actions scenes over the story. Don't get me wrong, I think the plot's great, and yeah, maybe the story was a little weaker this time around, but with the amount of well-animated and intense battle scenes we got, I never even gave it a second thought.

As it happened, I also really liked Loni and felt pretty bad when she finally died. Now, I am aware that she was indeed a mass-murderer responsible for several heinous crimes by the time the episode was over, but... for some reason, I didn't care? I dunno, maybe I was buying more into the whole Psycommu-brainwashing thing. Or maybe I just have a soft-spot for cute girls at the helms of massive death machines -- one of my other favorite Gundam characters happens to be Quess, so... :P
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Kaioshin Sama

The vast majority of the time when I see people being critical of a Gundam work on the internet they manage to take it one step too far or even all the way and make it look like they just have a bone to pick, are nitpicking and/or just bitching for the sake of bitching cause that's what people do with Gundam. Not this crew though.

I have to give props for managing to be critical of an episode of Gundam while managing to avoid what 99% of other critics of this episode failed to do in terms of being so over the top, claiming that it's the doom of the franchise, that Sunrise fucked up horribly and is ruining the novel content with it's shoddy adaptation and whatever hyperbolic nonsense they can come up with to just completely shit on the episode. Granted there's been plenty of positive talk as well, but the vast majority of the negative stuff has been out there for the lack of a better word.

Here Gundamn's crew clearly formulated the points they wanted to make, went into descriptive detail (gasp) what they specifically took umbrage with and why, and discussed where the show didn't quite meet the standard they've come to expect from what the previous few episodes set. Personally I thought the episode was overall great again and chalked Loni's rampage and Banagher's attempts to talk her down up more to the Psycommu amplifying her feelings of burden with being left with the task of taking revenge on the Federation and Banagher making note of this and feeling that he could somehow save her and make amends for Gilboa's death which in his mind he blames himself for, but I can actually understand where the Gundamn crews complaints in terms of how the portrayal of it was kind of lacking came from and feel as well that the arc could have used a little more time. At least another half of an episode to get to know the characters involved better. Still I think the whole first scene with her talking about how proud she was to carry on the family legacy was a case of "who are you trying to convince me or yourself", given how otherwise there would have been no reason for her to let Banagher talk her down and she just would have wiped him out then and there while he was standing all arms spread.

What I want to know is why can't more people do what the guys did in this episode? Do a critique of a Gundam episode without having to go all maximum rage and condemn Sunrise like they're the anti-christ for their failure to completely enjoy it. Why is this so hard for the rest of the internet? In any case if 4chan or others still give you guys grief and claim that Chris is Sunrise payed lackey or whatever then they clearly just won't except anything but the type of ragehate I stated above as a valid take on a Gundam episode.

edit: hmmm after listening to the rest of the episode and giving it some thought I do actually feel that there was a wee bit too much time spent on the whole, "what I didn't like" aspect of the episode and even a little doomsaying regarding the future of the production towards the end of the segment and a little less general discussion than I was expecting. That sort of got a bit of a frown from me and was kind of surprising since usually the chats end up being a little livelier and informal and that's what I've always felt made these anime spotlight segments. Chris seemed to be trying to move the discussion along at points though and I commend him for that. He's always been a pretty good discussion moderator and knows when the line is starting to be crossed between expanding on a point and beating a dead horse.

I get the sense that the guys really wanted to get it out there so to speak about where there concerns are going forward given the limited time the OVA has and all, but I was a little disappointed that other aspects of the episode didn't get much focus. For example I was kind of expecting a little more in the way of discussion about Riddhe creeping on Mineva a bit there at the beginning and kind of betraying his true colors as a bit of a sleaze ball that comes from a privileged family and knows it and someone who while he tries to separate himself from it can't quite manage to do so.

Still easily the best critique segment I have yet to hear from anyone on the internet regarding this series though.
jabman025

Well, not too surprisingly I feel a little different about episode 4 of Unicorn, I liked it.
I can see a trend forming of Banager not wanting to kill fellow newtypes, when he forms the connections with other newtypes (or cybernewtypes) and he gains the understanding that newtypes gain he really does want to protect them. Even that crazy Shamblo pilot, he formed a connection with and just didn’t want her to die. You mentioned that Riddy was a soldier, I think of all gundam pilots Banager is not a soldier. He doesn’t want to be there he doesn’t really care about who lives or dies outside of his freinds, he just fights on emotion and instinct in most of his battles. He really doesn’t consider himself a member of the federation or of Zeon despite “serving” with both sides. Even Kira has a general sense of a solider to take down Stella in the Destory Gundam. I can’t help but wonder if Banager will have a newtype connection with Full Frontal will he actually be able to kill him.

I loved the beat down Banager gave the Captain, nobody liked what was happening even the captain. They were waiting for an excuse to send the Unicorn out to get the next key to lapalace’s box and end the damn battle.

This was a Zeon mecha fans wet dream. I kinda like the Zeon remnants keeping every crappy suit they can get their hands on and when they finnaly get their shot they bring out everything. They know they are gonna die. They have no shot of winning, but like loyal zeon soldiers they go out with a bang. They have been planning and waiting for a long time to fight and die for the glory of Zeon.

I also really liked the conversation Mineva Zabi had with that cook, about people moved into space to allow the earth to heal, a la turn a, but in the end the one year war did more damage than pollution ever could.

As for gundam age, I really enjoyed the first 5 episodes things were moving along nicely and there was a good deal of mystery. However the mini arc of the warring factions of on that colony was just flat out stupid and boring. The thing that got me was the UE mobile suit just shows up and disappears for no real reason. Lets face facts it was a cheap and poorly thought out excuse to introduce the Age Titus.

Oh and one more thing, Jabman Defender of Destiny season 2 is currently airing on a channel that people are actually watching. ZING
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
hotlimit

This just reminded me, I was going to buy myself Wolf's GN-Exes for Christmas! A little too late now I think, hahah.
xaos

Well, I haven't been up to speed with Gundam Age, I only watched episode 3. Hearing you guys recap it, I feel I should start catching up.

As for Gundam Unicorn, I only watched episode 1 of that, I still feel like catching up, but for episode 4 from the way you guys described it I would try and get that one at a discount something like Chris did. The whole thing with Banagher and Loni reminds me of Katz and Sarah in Zeta the way it's been described. I hated that in Zeta and I imagine I won't like that in Unicorn. All those mobile suit cameos might make me smile though. Hmm, I said to myself I was going to try and remember other points to bring up but I don't. I guess I can edit the post and add anything if I do.
hotlimit

xaos wrote: As for Gundam Unicorn, I only watched episode 1 of that, I still feel like catching up, but for episode 4 from the way you guys described it I would try and get that one at a discount something like Chris did. The whole thing with Banagher and Loni reminds me of Katz and Sarah in Zeta the way it's been described. I hated that in Zeta and I imagine I won't like that in Unicorn. All those mobile suit cameos might make me smile though. Hmm, I said to myself I was going to try and remember other points to bring up but I don't. I guess I can edit the post and add anything if I do.
Do like I'm doing and wait another year, then you can watch the entire OVA at once. That one episode might not seem so bad taken as a part of the whole.
xaos

hotlimit wrote: Do like I'm doing and wait another year, then you can watch the entire OVA at once. That one episode might not seem so bad taken as a part of the whole.
Well, I am more of a wait for a boxset type of guy anyway. I'm just hoping that it doesn't cost like $300 or something what with how much they're charging for the blu rays, then again the DVDs are a more reasonable price, if I really want it, I'll just wait for a set of the DVDs I guess.
Chavelo

I'm trying so hard to stifle my laughs during work. xD

This is why I love this podcast. You guys make such good jokes about Gundam :mrgreen:
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

jabman025 wrote:Well, not too surprisingly I feel a little different about episode 4 of Unicorn, I liked it.
I can see a trend forming of Banager not wanting to kill fellow newtypes, when he forms the connections with other newtypes (or cybernewtypes) and he gains the understanding that newtypes gain he really does want to protect them. Even that crazy Shamblo pilot, he formed a connection with and just didn’t want her to die. You mentioned that Riddy was a soldier, I think of all gundam pilots Banager is not a soldier. He doesn’t want to be there he doesn’t really care about who lives or dies outside of his freinds, he just fights on emotion and instinct in most of his battles. He really doesn’t consider himself a member of the federation or of Zeon despite “serving” with both sides. Even Kira has a general sense of a solider to take down Stella in the Destory Gundam. I can’t help but wonder if Banager will have a newtype connection with Full Frontal will he actually be able to kill him.
Jabman;

People can forgive you when you speak dumb things, but when you have the ability to edit and proofread dumb things, your idiocy is unforgivable.

1. Based on episode 4 (not the novel), what deep connection did Banana and Loni have? And regardless of that connection, how is saving her life more important than the lives of the thousands of innocent civilians being slaughtered by her hand (didn't you learn anything from Wrath of Khan)?

2. The instant that Banana took a weapon of war and used to protect himself and his friends, he lost his innocence as a civilian and became a solider. You must realize every decision a person makes has unintended consequences. For example, the decision: Banana used the Unicorn to protect his friends and killed some combatants in the process, the unintended consequence: he became involved in the war between Zeon and Federation and the parties involved, thus becoming a solider/combatant. He may not have received a formal commission like past pilots, but his actions have made him a combatant and directly involved in the conflict. In addition, he has deepen his involvement by tagging along with the Zeon remnants.

So in conclusion, you are wrong, but I'm sure you're used to that by now. Even your idol, Soul Bro, agrees with the points above, so you should really start proofreading your thoughts before you hit the submit button.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Arbiter GUNDAM

Man, Neo, the Dude Who Pulls No Punches.

To be fair to Banana (and correct me if I'm wrong) he was about to fire on Loni but then she had her Newtype moment where she said something along the lines of "Isn't it sad?" Banagher hesitated, Riddhe, not understanding why he was hesitating, took the magnum and fired instead.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
jabman025

It has been shown time and time again that newtypes don't need very long to form a deep connection with each other. When Lala and Amuro met on the battlefeild it was for what 10 mintues or less. Yet in that short time it affected Amuro so much that he thought about her for the rest of his life. When Amuro killed her (while trying to kill Char I might add) it really hit him hard......why should it he barely knew her. I am not saying Banager did the right thing, I am saying I realize why he did it.

Banager is not a soldier, a combatant but not a soldier and yes there is a differance. He fights for a cause his own. He does not fight for the larger goals of the federation or Zeon. He does not follow orders. He does not have a rank of any sort. He would have been kicked off either ship (or killed) by now if not for the fact that he is the one and only person capable of piloting the Unicorn. I am not saying he has not gotten neck deep in this conflict. I am saying that he is making the decisons of an individual, doing what he thinks is best for him. Not as a soldier and making the decisons for the "needs of the many." (yes I saw the movie)

So in conclusion Neo, you are wrong, despite what you to tell yourself in the morning. Even your idol Michael Bay would understand the points I'm making. So chill out. :lol:
Last edited by jabman025 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025