The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Overlord Zaru

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk II

Probably because of how distant those two seem to each other.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
ShadowCell

we're still talking about this picture, right? the one where they're all in generic anime trying-to-look-cool poses?
Overlord Zaru

ShadowCell wrote:we're still talking about this picture, right? the one where they're all in generic anime trying-to-look-cool poses?
Yeah basically.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Chris
Administrator

Overlord Zaru wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:we're still talking about this picture, right? the one where they're all in generic anime trying-to-look-cool poses?
Yeah basically.
Wow, talk about reading way too much into one picture and pulling things out of thin air.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Ocho

I'm a little bit concerned with the mobile suit than with the characters. Are those wings or cannons.. or shields?
"I... I won't die alone. I'm gonna take your soul along with me when I go.""Because of your stupidity the earth remains trampled under the feet of fools."
NastyNate

Are we talking about this picture? If so then this worries me. :lol:
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Arsarcana

Ocho wrote:I'm a little bit concerned with the mobile suit than with the characters. Are those wings or cannons.. or shields?
Wings. Check out the Mecha thread.
BlackLion

The more I watch the more I feel this generation-skip thing is a bad idea.. I mean, we've got the Yurin who only appears for like 1 episode, pulls a Tiffa, and now nothing. How are we supposed to connect to a character that's nothing more than a plot device? Grodek has a chance to shine, but he most inevitably will be gone for the next generation, probably killed in the big battle ahead.

It's just seems bad to have to start ALL over every 15 episodes. I can't get into a cast that's going to be replaced every month. There's no time to flesh them out, no time to build the world. There are Wikipedia summaries more detailed than this. They're trying to do a Five Star Stories, but trying to fit a 30 year epic into a television season. Too ambitious for what it is.

Still, I'll keep watching because I like the UE and the mystery around them. Hope they don't turn out to just be another group of human who've been hiding out since the old wars.
Chris
Administrator

BlackLion wrote:It's just seems bad to have to start ALL over every 15 episodes. I can't get into a cast that's going to be replaced every month. There's no time to flesh them out, no time to build the world.
Come on, this is a blatant exaggeration to say the cast is going to be replaced "every month." We still haven't seen the end of this first generation or how things will be when the second one starts, so where's your basis for your argument? You're posting premature speculation as though it's something that's already happened.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Raptor

Ninja'd me, Chris.

I really like the timeskip idea. It allows us to see character growth in the short time of a TV Series. Plus, if Asem is 14, and Flit's grandson is 12, then assuming we only have a few years (3-5) before the child is born, then we're looking at only around 32 years between the first and last generation.

I know that AGE has been compared to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but JJBA has the, IMO, most successful timeskip setup. In JJBA {art 2, We have young protagonist Joseph Joestar. He was pretty epic then. In Part 3, he comes in as Grandpa/defacto leader of Jotarp's group, and he hasn't lost much of his glory, despite the fact that the way they had to fight now was completely different from the way he was taught. Then we're able to see Joseph Joestar as an old man, and still an awesome old man in Part 4. Remember, this is maybe 60-70 years after Part 2. We have a much shorter amount of time here, so assuming ANYONE other than Flit lives, any single one of them could be awesome.

Imagine if Desil survives, and becomes a Scirocco. Or Grudek survives and becomes a Daitetsu. Not only that, but with the timeskip, hopefully, more people wll come to learn of the terror of the UE, so we'll have more aces. Still yet, more enemy MS types, since they'll have more time to develop more.

So many great things, very few bad. I'm gonna get off my soap box now.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
BlackLion

Well if you put it like that, it could be cool. I guess seeing Yurin already pull out the Newtype Girl card and disappearing next episode is getting me thinking they're just going to toss in as many Gundam tropes as quick as possible, then toss them right out to get to the next gen.
SonicSP

Yurin's role does seem a bit different than say Emily or Flit at the moment <I>(in which we know them and know everything about them and their role in the series)</I> , there does seem to be a bit of mystery about her and we still don't know what she is or her purpose is so I won't be surprised if she sticks for all three generations; or at least two.

We'll probably be able to judge the skips properly only after the series is done.
Raptor

Calling it now, if Desil and Yurin both live through this gen, they'll have a kid together and that kid will either be Red Rival, or the Aina of this show.

Could be wrong... but I could also be right on the money.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Raptor wrote:Calling it now, if Desil and Yurin both live through this gen, they'll have a kid together and that kid will either be Red Rival, or the Aina of this show.

Could be wrong... but I could also be right on the money.

-Raptor, out.
That is more disturbing than Ridley Scott's new ALIEN movie.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
mobiusdiablo

So what's this about?

So Chris just put something on Twitter that I'm kind of middle of the road...well screw it, I'm against it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... wn-up-fans

Granted, it doesn't go into much detail, and I won't go and speculate, but in the article, there's the little snippit of this.
Baba emphasized that the project is for grown-ups, and that the staff intends to make it a "thoroughly dark" story that "even fans of [the first Gundam anime's] Universal Century timeline can be satisified with."
They also go on to say that they haven't revealed what medium this will be in either, and I gotta question two things. First off, you're targeting a new audience with AGE, and we still got Unicorn and the Origin being produced, so they [ye olde' whiny Gundam fans] don't need to have another series, especially based around AGE which they've hated from jump. Why would they pay any attention to it now? What's the point? And do we really need a UC/Victory/Grimdark Gundam sidestory when AGE seems to be doing just fine for the time being?

Second - and this is coming off part of the first: The people who dislike AGE from jump, wanting more Universal Century - they're gonna likely hate on this too since it's related to AGE, or they won't even pay attention to it. The only way I see it getting any kind of notice beyond this by UC elitists would be another animated OVA/TV series, which I don't see happening. I mean, Origin was announced when? And have we heard anything about it at all in terms of release schedules or developments?

In short, I don't think this is really needed at all. Granted, if it comes out, I'll watch it anyway since I'm a fan, and after that I'll know if I like the production or don't - but I simply think this idea is a little out there. They're catering to all the haters that're crying wolf, and honestly it's not helping.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
DuelGundam2099

I think the AGE hate has died down to reasonable levels, the only timeline that would get loads of hate from out of the blue is the Cosmic Era since most gundam fans still think Destiny killed their parents and butchered their pets into ground beef before feeding them to the alligators and Newt Gingrich.

Although in all seriousness I can understand what MD here is trying to say, why would Bandai make another side story when they have Unicorn and supposedly Origin in development? Are they so impatient for the last two Unicorn episodes and want to throw in some last minute gundam stuff for their games and the eventual Super Robot Wars Z3? Or do they just really need new ideas for model kits? I don't know, we'll just have to see when it comes.
Kaioshin Sama

DuelGundam2099 wrote:I think the AGE hate has died down to reasonable levels, the only timeline that would get loads of hate from out of the blue is the Cosmic Era since most gundam fans still think Destiny killed their parents and butchered their pets into ground beef before feeding them to the alligators and Newt Gingrich.

Although in all seriousness I can understand what MD here is trying to say, why would Bandai make another side story when they have Unicorn and supposedly Origin in development? Are they so impatient for the last two Unicorn episodes and want to throw in some last minute gundam stuff for their games and the eventual Super Robot Wars Z3? Or do they just really need new ideas for model kits? I don't know, we'll just have to see when it comes.
Based on the horrors of my forum experience from 00 times it seems to come more in waves. I remember during Gundam 00 every time it looked like it was finally dying down again and I'd be able to have an actual productive discussion that didn't just relate to what was apparently inherently flawed about the show it would start up at the beginning of every single new arc and people would suddenly just decide seemingly as a brain trust that they didn't like element x and therefore it just meant the whole show was completely and utterly terrible and without redeeming features. It continued like this for the shows entire 2 season run and into the movie as well.

Basically we just started a new arc in AGE so I think we're back at the beginning of a mini-cycle and people just haven't found much to latch onto that they can bitch about yet (last arc it was Emily and the way in which Zalam and EUBA used there suits that seemed to set the forums on fire) aside from the admittedly lacking combat choregraphy which is a minor issue I have with the show that is of course inflated to earth-shattering unforgiveable show breaking flaw levels of arguing and bitching by the internet hate machine. It'll go back to being what it was during the Fardain arc as soon as the show gives people something they can bitch about again I'm sure. For now I'll just say that as a noted improvement, I'm kind of surprised that people haven't been griping more about Desil being in control of the Zedas mobile suit. At the very least people seem to be okay again with the idea of a kid piloting a mobile suit after that brief memory lapse regarding Gundam history during the promotion phase leading up to the show. Baby steps.....

As for why they would make a side story to try and appeal to these angry fanboys, it's probably because good old fashioned Sunrise still naively yet admirably believes that these people can be "worked with" and brought on board by trying to find what they want and how to appeal to them. It seems to be a gesture based in faith of the kind I used to have when I bothered to talk with and argue with these people using logic, reason and examples, but sadly based on my own experience I don't think it's possible to reach them and they should probably just treat this apparent section of the fandom as a lost cause and move on.

Like mobiusdiablo pointed out these just seem like people with a bone to pick and I really don't think there's even a pretense of them possibly enjoying anything AGE related going on here. They'll find something to nitpick and some reason to not have to spend money on it, but they'll watch/read/play/whatever it (or just look at production stills and form an opinion in their head) and complain nonstop about it anyway the second they think it's "stepped out of line". If there's one thing I've noted about this subgroup of apparent Gundam fandom it's their steadfast stubbornness and unyielding rigidity with which they approach the idea of "realism" and "maturity" in Gundam, and what appears to be a standard that if they could put it into actual descriptive context is probably impossible to achieve. Chris actually talked about this impossible standard in the one podcasts in what has quickly become my all time favorite excerpt from the Gundamn Podcast in just how close it cuts to the heart of the matter.
NastyNate

Re: So what's this about?

mobiusdiablo wrote:So Chris just put something on Twitter that I'm kind of middle of the road...well screw it, I'm against it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... wn-up-fans
Your right age is perfectly fine for adults why make another series.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

BlackLion

I don't mind another series if it adds more MS variants and designs, as well as flesh out some of the side characters, but it doesn't need to be dark and gritty to try to appeal to the other fans.

Among Unicorn, Age, The Origin, Exa, and Glory of Losers there should be something Gundam for EVERY part of the fandom going on right now. No need for overlap.
NastyNate

BlackLion wrote:I don't mind another series if it adds more MS variants and designs, as well as flesh out some of the side characters, but it doesn't need to be dark and gritty to try to appeal to the other fans.

Among Unicorn, Age, The Origin, Exa, and Glory of Losers there should be something Gundam for EVERY part of the fandom going on right now. No need for overlap.
What is Exa, and Glory of Losers?