Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
BlackLion

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

I'm sure most of you have seen the new trailer by now, since it's been officially released.

http://www.spike.com/events/video-game- ... ers/ioholy

Thoughts?

I'm REALLY digging the new direction they're taking with this thing. The first trailers made it look like MGS4 with swords, but now it seems to have taken on a style like DMC or Ninja Gaiden, only much more brutal. With stealing enemy cyborgs' and mechs' energies to replenish yourself, and the ability to precision cut anything, it's got a neat quirk of its own to set it apart from those games. The graphics also look very detailed, and much more rich and colorful than any previous Metal Gear games.

Definitely on my buy list.
iKhaotic

Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

I'm actually not liking the new approach they're taking. The first trailer that they revealed a few years ago was more stylish and Metal Gear like. Now it just seems like another action game with a coat of Metal Gear Solid paint to it. The latest trailer isn't all that impressive either, the actual gameplay seemed a bit generic. The cutscenes still impressed me however.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still looking forward to this game. I'm a huge Metal Gear Solid fan so I'm definitely checking this out. The new direction of the story is actually a good thing in my book since I'm actually hoping to see what happens to Snake after MGS4.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
Ocho

Yea I thought Raiden was supposed to be based off Grey Fox, a ninja, not some Dante from DMC. I'm hoping they'll be more stealth, though not shown in the video, and maybe more mentally stimulating gameplay.

Hopefully the "cut and take" feature will be explained.

btw: longer title = better game...
"I... I won't die alone. I'm gonna take your soul along with me when I go.""Because of your stupidity the earth remains trampled under the feet of fools."
pd771

Honestly, Raiden was so ridiculous in MGS4 (including break dance fighting and cutting GECKOS with his foot and stopping a ship with one arm) that this is the best way the game could go. He acted the exact opposite of Snake's tactic in that game. If you want to actually play Raiden like he was in 4, this is the best way to do it.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
Ocho

pd771 wrote:Honestly, Raiden was so ridiculous in MGS4 (including break dance fighting and cutting GECKOS with his foot and stopping a ship with one arm) that this is the best way the game could go. He acted the exact opposite of Snake's tactic in that game. If you want to actually play Raiden like he was in 4, this is the best way to do it.
It wouldn't honor the audiences of the MGS series at all if they simply went for hack and slash. If you've ever played MGS2 sons of liberty, later in the game Raiden used a sword. I'm hoping they would incorporate stealth in that fashion but probably not. Danggit leave the break dance fighting to DMC.
"I... I won't die alone. I'm gonna take your soul along with me when I go.""Because of your stupidity the earth remains trampled under the feet of fools."
Shinigam_Newtype

I'm honestly not looking forward to this game because of its new approach. The game originally hooked me with its very realistic style and I liked the fact that it was MGS4 with swords. Now however, it looks just like those generic hack and slash titles, ala DMC and Bayonetta(Yes I'm aware its the same developer)
I know this isn't a bad thing per se, but this change(for me) is just too different from its original concept. Probably will not be buying.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
iKhaotic

pd771 wrote:Honestly, Raiden was so ridiculous in MGS4 (including break dance fighting and cutting GECKOS with his foot and stopping a ship with one arm) that this is the best way the game could go. He acted the exact opposite of Snake's tactic in that game. If you want to actually play Raiden like he was in 4, this is the best way to do it.
The Raiden in MGS4 is indeed the portrayal of the one in Revengeance, but that was only because he wasn't playable and they had to throw in some action and a character who wasn't afraid to go wild and do crazy stunts like that. But from the player's point of view, the way the game will play means everything (especially MGS fans). Seeing all those moves in a cutscene is one thing, but playing a Metal Gear game based on those cinematics is a whole another story. We see Snake do ridiculous stunts in cutscenes too, but he didn't have to play like that in actual gameplay lol.

I honestly wish that Revengeance would revert back to Rising's style of stealth over action. The early trailers of Rising shows that stealth gameplay is definitely possible with Raiden's style/weapon. I'm sure Platinum Games will do a good job of Revengeance, but they're straying too far from the Metal Gear formula, despite this being a separate title. Not to mention there's plenty of other fast pace action games in this style out there and coming soon already.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
Shinigam_Newtype

Just a video comparing the original 2010 build to its current incarnation

http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4our2tyr6&rel ... Ky0-pbGG3w
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Ocho

Shinigam_Newtype wrote:Just a video comparing the original 2010 build to its current incarnation

http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4our2tyr6&rel ... Ky0-pbGG3w
I think you mean this (Yours goes to your own playlist). Looks like a little more stealth was involved earlier.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

This ought to put things in perspective.

I thought the original trailer looked great and realistic as well, but I felt it was extremely ambitious and almost purposeless. The "cut and take" mechanic is a really cool tool, but what do you do with it, and how do you build an entire game around it? The original concept just felt somewhat broken.

I think we should all understand that this is a spin-off game. It's been stated that there will be stealth elements, but Kojima assures that folks looking for a stealth game should wait for the next Solid sequel. The fans shouldn't be demanding this or that, but we should see what the creative minds behind the game can deliver.

DMC and Bayonetta aren't "generic hack and slash games". DMC defined this genre, and Bayonetta is an absolutely excellent gem of a game. It's kind of the only direction a cyborg ninja Raiden game can go.

Personally, I'm very happy to hear about the collaboration between Platinum and Kojima Productions. I mean, this game will be the product of two of the best development teams in the history of games. Isn't that wonderful?

I wish the game were still running on the FOX engine, because the new graphics look a little cold and less realistic. The constant electricity effect for Raiden is a little much. The new gameplay mechanics also feel somewhat inconsistent where sometimes your sword will just combo your enemies and other times just shear them in half like nothing.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Mickeymac92

^This I agree with. I love Metal Gear for its stealth, but I also love action games and want to see what these two companies can do. Even if it's not Metal Gear in the end, so long as it's fun and creative, that's all that really maters to me.
NastyNate

Gametrailers.com released a really cool interview with kojima about how they could not get the idea of cut everything to work in a game so they where either going to scrap it or give it to another team. Really sad how the kojima prod. young team could not step up and make the game. I do not like what I saw in the new trailer. Don't like how raiden picks up a metal gear ray and throws it. I reolize it is a spin off and I hope they make that clear in the game. I liked raidens ending in mgs4.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
BlackLion

So you don't like Raiden picking up a Metal Gear, but you liked him in MGS4 where he stopped an entire battleship with Mt. Bossmore on top with one hand?
NastyNate

BlackLion wrote:So you don't like Raiden picking up a Metal Gear, but you liked him in MGS4 where he stopped an entire battleship with Mt. Bossmore on top with one hand?
Yeah I thought that was lame too. I liked when he was fighting off those mini metal gears when we first got introduced. It was a little over the top but not superman worthy. The part where he was fighting off the ninjas with the sword in his mouth was pretty lame too. I am glad how he had a happy ending with his kid and wife. He was also turned back into a real boy. Which is nice too. Not going to cut out Metal Ninja Gaiden: Bayonetta but I am very causious.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
HGGundamReviews

This game looks like it's going to be full of QTE's ..... I absolutely hate Quick Time Events in games. Devil May Cry 4 was nothing but QTE's and it totally ruined the game for me. I'll wait to see exactly what this game is going to be when it comes out. However if it a QTE button masher I'll pass on it.
Amadi Akintunde

NastyNate wrote:Really sad how the kojima prod. young team could not step up and make the game.
They said they tried, didn't they? They just couldn't figure out how, seeing how they've been making stealth oriented games(sans Zone of the Enders) for the last decade.
Raiden

BlackLion wrote:The graphics also look very detailed, and much more rich and colorful than any previous Metal Gear games.
I actually think MGS4's graphics looks better than this. Its too simplified compared to the others. While i don't care about the stupid console wars, this looks more catered to xbox just so it can run smoother on it. They probably should have just trained the team at platinum to use the fox engine.

I'm actually quite disappointed with how Rising has turned into...this. I think if they had successfully implemented the stealth element, it would set this apart from the other generic action ninja games like Ninja Gaiden.

But it's also sad to see that they had to toss everything out they had for story because Platinum says they can't make their gameplay match whatever it was they made before for cutscenes or what not. I dunno sounds like they had to bend over a bit imo.

And good lord Raiden's lines >_< they sound too stereotypical and don't even match his character.

In the end, we'll see. I'll probably have to play a demo first before I decide to buy it. But i hope they get rid of the heavy metal music and change that Metallica logo rip-off font.

And truthfully, was anyone really expecting this to be out anytime soon? I wasn't expecting this till like 2014.
yazi88

If the game plays kinda like Vanquish then I'm up for it. I really enjoyed that game.
Aegis

Even with the stealth being 'downplayed', I wouldn't mind getting my hands on this. I do wish that it still remained a stealth game rather than an action game, but this still doesn't look too bad, either. That, and Platinum is involved, so I can't be upset with that.