well this is just kawaii.

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Dave

well this is just kawaii.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/kawaii

yup, Kawaii is now an English term too. :|
あなたの父親と母親elderberriesハムスターのにおいがした.
Antares

Re: well this is just kawaii.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the degradation and evolution of English... :D
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Sume Gai

hikikomori being added sort of made sense as we really didn't have a word that specifically fit the context of someone who avoids social contact but is not necessarily agoraphobic or otherwise disabled.

Kawaii simply means cute, I fail to see context which necessitates it's addition to the English language.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Cardi Doorl

Sume Gai wrote:hikikomori being added sort of made sense as we really didn't have a word that specifically fit the context of someone who avoids social contact but is not necessarily agoraphobic or otherwise disabled.
We don't have a word for "loner" or "shut-in"? ;)
Some Guy wrote:Kawaii simply means cute, I fail to see context which necessitates it's addition to the English language.
Necessity doesn't really matter, though. Oxford tends to hew toward descriptivism rather than prescription (unlike Merriam-Webster or American Heritage), so its inclusion simply means "there are people who use this word when speaking English", not "this word is useful or necessary" or "we personally endorse this word". And the first statement is true, no matter how annoying we think it is.

Besides, although I don't use "kawaii" for reasons of personal taste, having redundant words or synonyms isn't hardly a bad thing. It certainly makes writing a whole lot less monotonous when you have more options at hand.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Sume Gai

Cardi Doorl wrote:
Sume Gai wrote:hikikomori being added sort of made sense as we really didn't have a word that specifically fit the context of someone who avoids social contact but is not necessarily agoraphobic or otherwise disabled.
We don't have a word for "loner" or "shut-in"? ;)
I tend to associate shut-in with people who physically or mentally can't leave their homes as much as people who simply choose not to. A 'loner' to me is someone who does not react to social contact rather than outright avoiding it.

Connotation, is what I'm getting at. I can see a slightly unique connotation with Hikikomori that I do not see with Kawaii. Though, yes, people are indeed using it, as much as I personally dislike such behavior. I wonder what's next "Nakama?"
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern