Epyon's Wings.

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Evex

Epyon's Wings.

I've recently started to wonder about the Epyon's wings, before I continue let me clarify. When I say Epyon's wings I mean the original Epyon and not the version kai wing's. The thing about the Epyon's wings is that they seem rather useless. Well useless out of the only two reasons I can think of, which are as wings in its mobile armor mode and AMBAC use in its MS form. I know the original wing zero wings were similar to tallgeese super vernier thrusters. It makes me think Epyon's wings have some hidden function, since there segmented instead of being just one solid piece of metal, possibly hinting at some thing inside the wing, which it would need to open for.
domino

Re: Epyon's Wings.

I think Epyon's wings are functionally the same as the original Wing Zero .....simply platforms laden with thruster verniers.

I think that Katoki should've given Epyon ver ka's wings a dragon-like appearance but he probably didn't since Deathscythe already took the 'cool wings' department.
Robertthecrimson

domino wrote:I think Epyon's wings are functionally the same as the original Wing Zero .....simply platforms laden with thruster verniers.

I think that Katoki should've given Epyon ver ka's wings a dragon-like appearance but he probably didn't since Deathscythe already took the 'cool wings' department.
Epyon ver kai?
Didn't know there was a Kai version. Do you have like for that?

As for what domino said about standard Epyon's wings I think that they simply serve the purpose of being vernier holders. That and to look good.
I think we can all agree that it looks better with wings functional or not than a back pack.
domino

Hi Robert, http://blog.gundamplanet.com/gundam/mg- ... -jun-2011/

It's certainly not much of a change
Evex

The version kai of Epyon is I believe a Hajime Katoki version of Gundam Epyon, much like his other variations of the wing gundams. The Gundam Epyon kai was also released as a master grade model kit by Bandai. Back on topic though, if the Epyon's wings did open I imagine they open similar to this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5thluna/4064210869/

Given the animation, or how old the tech for animating Gundam wing is by today's standards. It might be possible the designers wanted the wings to appear open at times, but couldn't animate it properly. Another reason might be that there wasn't enough time to do so. Given how the wing open, I know I'm going to be shot for this, if we apply technology from Gundam SEED to wing then Epyon's wings could also act as a sort of HIMAT when they are open. Granted a poorly designed one.
Raiden

Actually it's not called Epyon version Kai, its either Epyon Ver Ka. or EW.

If its something done by Hajime Katoki he always abreviates it as Ver Ka.
Robertthecrimson

I like the new design of epyon. Thanks for the link.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

At least Epyon's wing binders had a hope of being used for AMBAC unlike the junk wings on the Altron.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Koshernova

Just to clarify, y'all, AMBAC is a Universal Century form of tech. While it is something that can possibly fit into the Wing universe, I don't think any official materials ever stated that AMBAC existed in After Colony MS tech.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
E08

Even though the MG manuals did not use the name AMBAC directly, the description seems to be similar.
ORegan

I think the wings are pretty much only useful in MA mode. SOMETHING needs to keep it steady, am I right?

That being said, why Epyon has a MA mode to begin with when it has no weapons is beyond me. How often was it even used? :P
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
radioactive28

ORegan wrote:I think the wings are pretty much only useful in MA mode. SOMETHING needs to keep it steady, am I right?

That being said, why Epyon has a MA mode to begin with when it has no weapons is beyond me. How often was it even used? :P
I think the MA mode is purely for speed, because all the major thrusters are aligned to the direction of flight, as is the drag-minimising profile of the entire craft.

In MS mode, the wings are segmented to provide some form of thrust vectoring, some thrusters pointing downwards when the mech is upright, to let it stay in the air.
Volnixshin

Dammnit I want to see the Aquarius with a Ver Ka, I know I'm not the only one.

From the model kits, and animation, Epyon's wings seem just like sheets of metal that while function as wings, do not have any thrusters or apogee motors. The only thrusters I can find are the two on the back
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
JEFFPIATT

it's part of an desgin motif for the gundam the wing and wing zero had an bird mode while epyon had an Dragon theme it's ma mode was to resemble an two headed dragion the ms mode has an demonic look to it compared to the more heroic wing and wing zero.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, the Gundam Musou games simply gave Epyon some sort of "barrier" you would expel to simply ram enemies when flying in its MA mode, lol.

Otherwise, its MA mode seems purely for faster transit from one area to another like each time we see it.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Ocho

JEFFPIATT wrote:it's part of an desgin motif for the gundam the wing and wing zero had an bird mode while epyon had an Dragon theme it's ma mode was to resemble an two headed dragion the ms mode has an demonic look to it compared to the more heroic wing and wing zero.

lol actually thought the Epyon was based off a stingray but I guess a double-headed dragon would be "cooler". I believe the veniers are between each wingflap though to support the veniers on the backpack.
"I... I won't die alone. I'm gonna take your soul along with me when I go.""Because of your stupidity the earth remains trampled under the feet of fools."
AmuroNT1

Epyon's MA mode is meant to resemble a wyvern, a dragon-like mythological creature with two legs and a tail with a poison stinger on the end. This is further reinforced in Frozen Teardrop, which introduces its apparent "father", an MA called Wyvern that was designed by Doctor J and piloted by Katrina Peacecraft.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
InjuredPelican

Maybe the wings just allowed for better aerodynamic maneuvering, while thrust came from the backpack and legs. That's more or else the way Alton's wings were supposed to work, though that hardly helps in space.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
AmuroNT1

Um, Altron's wings have thrusters on them and they were designed for space maneuverability and AMBAC (or whatever the AC equivalent is). It has nothing to do with aerodynamics, since it's implied by dialog that the Gundams can "fly" but only through sheer brute force (AKA "Put enough thrust behind it and even a brick will fly").
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power