Old Gundam Game Reboots

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
CJack90

Old Gundam Game Reboots

The past two years or so certain classic games have been redone for hd by their game publishers and resold on psn God of War etc.. What if capcom reissued federation vs zeon for the psn and added a couple of upgrades like just add msv mobile suits to the line up hd the game play also add trophies. Since we don't know if were getting a port gundam versus (which I like but weren't fun as federation vs zeon because the campaign mode was fun which lacked the games after it )what do you guys think? I know us westerners wouldn't think the game was a classic but us gundam fans would and Japan certainly would agree with me..
AmuroNT1

Re: Old Gundam Game Reboots

Why on Earth would Capcom re-issue a 10-year-old game with outdated controls AND add new content (something no PSN re-issue has done so far) AND sell it in a market where it would probably just be a waste of time and money? They might do that in Japan, but that's because in Japan you could slap a picture of Char onto a bag of dog poop and it'd become a best-seller. In America, it's just another anime. I know you said it's a "what if", but frankly my response to that is "Wish in one hand, crap in the other, and see which piles up first."

If you want to play Fed vs Zeon so badly, track it down at Gamestop or eBay. If you want to see where the series has gone since then, import Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus or Gundam Extreme Versus.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
CJack90

They should reissue the game ico came out before federation vs zeon and it got improved and hd for the ps3 and it was a ps2 game plus Sony said their gonna keep converting ps2 remakes for ps3 gundam vs gundam series is ok but its not better than the first one period I just hate that we can't get any gundam games over here I still have federation vs zeon gundam vs zeta gundam zeonic front encounters in space journey to jaburo and encounters in space these games hands down were the best games for this franchise period (outside of the U.S.) I just wish namco will sell the gundam brand because they suck. a better developer would know what to do. They act like there aren't fans over here in the U.S. Hell if koei can keep milking dynasty warriors which over in Japan and surronding countries loves it but we know how bad game critics despise this game but still koei still let's its come over here. Namco is killing the gundam brand when it comes to the market of outside its anime perspective.
CJack90

Outside of Japan I mean
2NA Fish

I absolutely loved Feds vs Zeon DX, and I'd get a PSN rerelease in a heartbeat.
However, if they're gonna be making new content, I'd prefer they add it to Extreme VS.

And I'd like a new G Generation game as good and expansive as G Generation F.
AmuroNT1

ICO got an update because it's freaking ICO. It was one of if not THE Game of the Year for 2001, and it had broad market appeal. Comparing Fed vs Zeon to that is...just not fair. You can make all the comparisons you want (like "Everyone wants a remake of Final Fantasy VII!"), but those games are an entirely different case.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but there's not really a polite way to say this. You're looking at things through the eyes of a fan, where the only acceptable response is "Okay, we'll give you whatever you want". You need to think about things from a business standpoint. Capcom just finished the eighth game in the Gundam Vs. Series and they're already working on the ninth. Why would they go back and improve the first when doing so would end up delaying the new game and costing them money? In a business situation you can't just say "Let's do whatever the fans want" unless the desires of the fandom happen to coincide with good business decisions.

The reason Koei keeps pumping out Dynasty Warriors games? They make money. Maybe they get bad reviews over here in the West, but they don't give a damn, because the games continue to sell in Japan. The same is true for Gundam. The simple fact of the matter is, the sales of Gundam merchandise in just Japan exceed the sales for the entire rest of the planet combined. They tried selling Gundam to us ten years ago and maybe they made bad business decisions, but regardless of the reason, it ultimately failed. Bandai is fully aware that Gundam games are a losing proposition anywhere outside of Japan, so why would they bother?

Or to put it more bluntly (tl;dr): We are not the target audience for Gundam merchandise; we are just spillover. What you get is what you're going to get, and all the petitions and Facebook groups in the world aren't going to change that.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
CJack90

Your opinions are right dude I hope after extreme versus namco/bandai or capcom make a epic gundam ip they have the tools and hardware they just have to deliver they let us down occasionally I just want to know why not ship games to north America to wouldn't they make more profit that way?
mcred23

I doubt it. It doesn't matter if they ship them over here, because hardly anyone will buy them in North America. Remember, even when Gundam was at its peak over here, the video games didn't have the greatest reputation, and the most notable Gundam games to come out here over the past few years (The DW games and Crossfire) haven't done much to change that notion...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
2NA Fish

People tend to think it's easy to make money off games. Unfortunately, I've done business with EB Games before, so I know a bit of how cutthroat it is.

EB Games takes as much as half the retail price as their cut, and they squeeze the smaller developers and publishers when they think a game is not going to sell. If your game isn't selling good numbers within the first month or so, there's a clause in the contract saying you have to take the "sensible" business decision of dropping the price to increase sales. No reason to think any of the other retailers work any differently. Some retailers also work on consignments, meaning if the games aren't sold through to the customer after a certain time, the publisher/distributor has to take them back and bear the costs. To be fair though, retail space rental and labour costs are a huge bitch. The games stores are just trying to survive.

Add your advertising and promotion, plus localisation costs, logistics and cost of overseas staffing, and it's really not worth the effort if the game's got a good likelihood of bombing. You also gotta remember that each flop of a game you release devalues all your future titles in the eyes of retailers.

Plus, you have people like me who despite being the target audience, just never buy an English release Gundam game because I always get the Japanese import anyway.
Outlaw

2NA Fish wrote:EB Games takes as much as half the retail price as their cut, and they squeeze the smaller developers and publishers when they think a game is not going to sell.
Really? I had heard that the profit margins on new games are abysmal like $5-$10 for a $60 game. Of course, the person I was talking with wanted to go mom and pop so it may be that big name retailers get a better deal.

On a related note: I've been wondering lately if it would be viable to just release translation patchs for some region free games. It might encourage more people to import and could be a less risky alternative to giving niche games a full blown localization.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
2NA Fish

You're right, the big name retailers always get a better deal. The mom and pop guys might only get maybe 50 copies, while the big names get tens of thousands. Some of them also make distributors sign contracts guaranteeing them the cheapest retail price. It's designed to kill competition.

On translation patches, unfortunately licensing and region issues mean you're not "supposed" to be playing import games anyway. Could be a whole can of worms, even though it makes perfect sense.
Outlaw

2NA Fish wrote:On translation patches, unfortunately licensing and region issues mean you're not "supposed" to be playing import games anyway. Could be a whole can of worms, even though it makes perfect sense.
What just keep it on the JP network, it's for... um... students studying english. :wink:
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Enileph

Well, the japanese games are usually released in the asia network... so a translation exists maybe.
Fact being, gundam games sells decently well in asia too, and they know that.
iKhaotic

I'd pay $50 for an HD collection that contains Journey to Jaburo, Encounters in Space, and Zeonic Front. Then another $50 for Federation vs Zeon, Gundam vs Zeta Gundam, and Neverending Tomorrow.

But of course it won't happen :) I'll just go and import Extreme Vs. hahah.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~