Double Zeta: What do you think about it?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
penguintruth

Re: Double Zeta: What do you think about it?

(Hi!)

Gundam ZZ is a strange creature. It has this unsettling identity crisis. It's one thing to be more lighthearted than Zeta (though even Shindler's List is more lighthearted than Zeta), but ZZ never balances it as well as it should. I think the problem is that it's a sequel to Zeta and to continue the Zeta story with slapstick silliness doesn't work. If it were a show all on its own without ties to the previous series, I think it would seem more appealing, but it carries on Zeta in a haphazard manner.

That said, it can be really good. In fact, there are episodes which are on par with Zeta (you can tell here how much I love Zeta). When it's strong, it's very strong, but episodes like that can be few and far between, and sometimes an episode like this something silly happens out of nowhere that ruins the mood.

I'd say it's slightly below average overall, but it does have its moments. If you're watching Universal Century Gundam programs, you should at least watch it once.
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
HalfDemonInuyasha

Especially if you want to know how everyone recognizes the Nahel Argama and other ZZ-related things while you wouldn't have a clue otherwise, lol.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
burgerseatbright

While Double Zeta isn't my favorite UC series, I think it has its own merits. The first twenty episodes to me were a bit slow due to all the goofiness, but I think it picked up the pace later on. That and I could see Glemy being foreshadowed as a creeper even from the get go. Seriously, the guy's first lines are talking to his dead relative. Who turned out to be Gihren Zabi due to cloning.

I didn't really enjoy Beecha or Mondo. Especially Beecha attempting to blow up Judau with bombs because Elle fancied him at the time. Just...Beecha in general. But I think the setup for the other colonies was interesting. And some of the wacky adventures were fun to watch. Like Judau and Eino dressing as girls to save their female companions from a harem.

Also, I liked the conflict between Judau and the two big bads. And the civil war that was sparked. As well as the finale.
Mickeymac92

I thought the first half was horrible, but I liked the second half. I loved the characters and the smaller tales along the way, especially on Earth, were really good. I agree with the OP that the should had the potential to be so much better, but what was there was good enough, IMO.
2NA Fish

I've got a strong bias towards Beecha because he was one of my ace pilots in SRWF Final, and because he's such a hilarious misfit for the role of captain. OMG we went from Bright to THIS GUY?!! Aaaaaagh!!....
xaos

I liked ZZ, sure the first what, 18 episodes were just like some weird comedy show, that seemed to drag on. I didn't hate the comedy episodes but, they did last too long for me. But I ended up liking the characters a lot, especially Judau. Elle, and Rouka were cool. Beecha and Mondo who I ended up calling Cheech and Chong sometimes got on my nerves but they eventually grew on me. The story when things started to get serious were pretty good held my attention as well as Zeta did. Plus, Judau tiger knee'd Wong Lee and that brought a smile to my face.
Cardi Doorl

burgerseatbright wrote:Seriously, the guy's first lines are talking to his dead relative. Who turned out to be Gihren Zabi due to cloning.
It's funny you mention this as some kind of definite truth considering there's no solid evidence for it. Glemy claims to be Gihren's son (iirc nobody in the series itself even suggests that cloning was involved in his birth) but that's about it. I strongly recommend you take a look at this thread, especially this post and this post, to see that there's no definite information regarding Glemy's origins.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
burgerseatbright

Cardi Doorl wrote:It's funny you mention this as some kind of definite truth considering there's no solid evidence for it. Glemy claims to be Gihren's son (iirc nobody in the series itself even suggests that cloning was involved in his birth) but that's about it.
Nope. I don't care enough for Glemy to argue about what's definite canon concerning him. I read it on TV Tropes a long time ago and never bothered to look more into it.