The ZII's appearance in Mirage of Zeon manga got canonised?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Calubin_175

The ZII's appearance in Mirage of Zeon manga got canonised?

The latest scan from the Gundam Perfect File series lists its pilot as Kei Kirishima, accompanied by the supporting text that it was deployed in the Axis Offensive Battle in 0088 10.

I know that the Gundam Perfect File is pretty much a third party source, but I was just surprised that they listed the manga pilot.

The old Z-MSV description said not a single machine was built. It is now probably a retcon to link to the anime appeared ReZEL. Afterall, a lot of the Unicorn designs are based on non-anime/MSV designs, kind of like a bunch of indirect canon immigrants.
Geoxile

Re: The ZII's appearance in Mirage of Zeon manga got canonis

That reminds me. Was the ZII destroyed at the end of that? They never show the on screen destruction of anything but are we to assume the AEUG fleet got wiped out?
balofo

Not only that, the armament list mentions Beam Rifle 2x and Clay Bazooka from the GFF figure not present in the original Z-MSV list
yazi88

Some Guncannon Detectors and some Land Type Hyaku Shiki MP types were also shown in the manga I believe in some of the land battles. And the Guncannon Detectors did show up in Unicorn.
Geoxile

yazi88 wrote:Some Guncannon Detectors and some Land Type Hyaku Shiki MP types were also shown in the manga I believe in some of the land battles. And the Guncannon Detectors did show up in Unicorn.
Well, according to the MSV 2 Guncannons were created and one landed on Earth in working condition. And besides that the design was finished, whereas the status of the ZII seemed to be that it was just a draft design, not a planned production unit.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Based on the (older) profile wording, it sounds like the ZII suffered similar problems as the ZZ in terms of frame weakness/construction (probably partially due to the Methuss-like downgrade to its transformation system to help with cost), so the AEUG decided to opt for the more costly, but otherwise better ZZ instead.

While the ZZ may have had a slightly weaker frame with a more costly and complicated transformation system, its high mobility (which the ZII also would've had) coupled with MUCH greater firepower (compared to the ZII merely having a mega beam rifle with less output than 1 barrel of the ZZ's double beam rifle and beam sabers) coupled with its versatility with being able to use its Core Top and Core Base as 2 separate flight units while still being able to form the ZZ if needed more than made up for similar flaws (unable to perform atmospheric re-entry on their own, no flight in the atmosphere, etc).
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet