Sonic Generations

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
steeltamashii

Sonic Generations

Just got the PS3 version about a week ago, and am loving it. What are your opinions on it? Love it? Hate it? Indifferent?
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.
2NA Fish

Re: Sonic Generations

Waiting for price drop. Unfortunately, while it looks awesome, it's not something I want to pay full price for.
Mu La Flaga

I haven't played it too much.
Mario Kart 7 is occupying my gaming time more lately most of the time.
I do intend to get back to it eventually.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Apparently this one actually got some good reviews from sites like IGN. I hope it's good, I really haven't played a good Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
steeltamashii

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Apparently this one actually got some good reviews from sites like IGN. I hope it's good, I really haven't played a good Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2.
I would agree with you there. Although I don't think this game surpasses Sonic Adventure 2, it's an extremely close tie. At the same time tho, i'm glad no werewolves are present in this game (at least, not that i've seen so far O_O), and the inclusion of Classic Sonic makes for some fun 2-D and 3-D gameplay.
2NA Fish

I don't trust anything from IGN.
Mu La Flaga

Besides are you guys kind of ignoring Sonic Colours or Rush games?

Those were good I would say.
Haven't beat Rush 2 fully though....
steeltamashii

Mu La Flaga wrote:Besides are you guys kind of ignoring Sonic Colours or Rush games?

Those were good I would say.
Haven't beat Rush 2 fully though....
I don't have a DS or a Wii, so i never got to playthru the Rush games or Sonic Colors in their entirety. They were pretty good from what i played though.

My biggest thing is Generations is what i've wanted from Sega for the longest time, a Sonic game with the best of both worlds 2D and 3D. From what I've played so far, Generations is just that.

My only gripe is no Ice Cap Zone. XD
NastyNate

I just got it for christmas and I love it.I just got to the final boss. I do wish that the 3d levels where more like the adventure games and not the unleashed/colors style but still my favorite sonic game since the 2006 one that everyone else hates. But truthfully I have not found a sonic game that I hated I have been a sonic fan for 16 years and enjoy basically all of their games.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Mark064

CI picked up the game around Boxing Day time for around $30. Haven't really played too much of the game as I waited for an HDTV to play it. And yesterday I got my HDTV so have since played it.

I'm almost at the boss of the first world, just need to collect the keys. I like the game so far the music is good and I like the fact you can collect old music and have that play for the level if you want. Seeing a new chemical plant was rather awesome. And selectable vocal tracks is always a great feature to have.

However the controls aren't where I want them to be. So far I'm not used to them at all. Old Sonic doesn't control the way I want him too which makes it really difficult more than it should be. Especially for more precise movements. New Sonic I might just not be used to his controls ,the last Sonic game I played was Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast. He's changed a lot since then it took me a long time to figure you could hold down boost.

Playable Sonic 1? Sure I need a third way to play that anyways (Gamecube Mega Collection and Genesis being the other two). And since when have games included Sonics love for chilli dogs? It made me think of the old cartoons.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
steeltamashii

NastyNate wrote:I just got it for christmas and I love it.I just got to the final boss. I do wish that the 3d levels where more like the adventure games and not the unleashed/colors style but still my favorite sonic game since the 2006 one that everyone else hates. But truthfully I have not found a sonic game that I hated I have been a sonic fan for 16 years and enjoy basically all of their games.
I wasn't crazy about Sonic '06, but at the same time, graphically, it was pretty amazing looking for a Sonic game at that time (even with the crappy many loading screen). Not to mention the fact that it was a much different story from the past games so it was interesting seeing it play out, even if i wasn't crazy about it. Moreover like i said tho, Generations seems to be the great balance of both classic and modern Sonic. I've been playing Sonic games practically since birth, so it was cool kinda reliving the past and seeing the future of the franchise in this form.
Mark064 wrote:Playable Sonic 1? Sure I need a third way to play that anyways (Gamecube Mega Collection and Genesis being the other two). And since when have games included Sonics love for chilli dogs? It made me think of the old cartoons.
I KNOW! That chili dog thing in the beginning was so perfect! Shame of it was my younger cousins didn't get the joke (dated myself there). Sonic 1 playable was pretty cool, but i have the first Sonic game in so many forms now it's nuts.

Still waiting for SEGA to announce they're doing that Sonic 3 HD remake ;D
JustInTime

I hope they make dlc for this game. They really need to put icecap zone from sonic 3 in. And maybe green forest from sonic adventure 2.
"Our spirits are aflame. Can we see the fire, there is nothing that we cannot defeat. And now this hand of mine is burning red. Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!"
Domon Kasshu
steeltamashii

JustInTime wrote:I hope they make dlc for this game. They really need to put icecap zone from sonic 3 in. And maybe green forest from sonic adventure 2.
I would second this statement. The absence of Ice Cap Zone is a little disconcerting, considering it's probably one of the most memorable zones from Sonic 3 and possibly of all the Sonic games. I would say tho i would prefer White Jungle instead of Green Forest (same game, SA2) or even better both :D
Mark064

Okay I've played more than enough of this game to realize I don't like it at all. I'll break this up a bit.

New Sonic:

Really don't like there's so many problems with this guy that makes me wonder if the new games are like this no wonder they are supposed to be awful. New Sonic just controls really bad. Take for example his lock-on attack this attack in theory should be good but many times it just doesn't work. Worse yet is his boost attack, I honestly have not figured out how this attack works. It's fine if you are running then it's great but if you are in the air and boost the game seems to pick a random direction and boost you in that. Many many times I'm facing right and boost only to be boosted in the opposite direction. That and I found it almost impossible to do any precise jumping.

Old Sonic:

Not as bad as new Sonic but it just doesn't feel the same as back in the days of Genesis. He just really feels off and I can't explain it. The only main complaint is his spin dash which if you on for long enough it doesn't work on enemies anymore...

Level design:

This is one the main gripes with the game, I really dislike the level design. The early levels were good and a few of the latter ones but some were just designed so poorly which made navigating them incredibly painful. Take that water level for new Sonic where you are supposed to boost across water. There is almost no direction where to go and if you deviate out of their path you die. The difficulties in jumping with both Sonics made a lot of the pits annoying as well.

Challenge stages:

These just really dragged on, I really got bored of the doppelganger races. Some were clever, some were awful. Take that Croc level with new Sonic where you are supposed to bounce the notes back this is where the problems of lock on and camera (seriously this game is made in 2011 not 1997, I shouldn't have objects blocking my camera) shine greatly. Jumping onto platforms too.

Music:

The one good thing in this game, but what annoys me is they include so much music and yet you have 10 challenge stages for each level and by default they play the same song, why?
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Amadi Akintunde

Mark064 wrote: Music:

The one good thing in this game, but what annoys me is they include so much music and yet you have 10 challenge stages for each level and by default they play the same song, why?
You know you can change the music that plays in just about every level, right?
steeltamashii

OK, i've played thru the PS3 and 3DS versions of the game now, and i still have to say it's still one of the better Sonic games in my opinion, especially on a non-Sega console. I will definitely agree that some of the level design isn't the best, especially once you get to the later stages. However, using the D-pad i didn't experience any really big issues with the controls with Classic Sonic, and after doing a few speed-runs thru Green Hill Zone, I got the controls down for Modern Sonic too.

The only thing that heavily disappointed me was the final boss... Without spoiling anything, the controls are terrible, there's too much going on, and i figured they would've done something much cooler.

If i had to make a recommendation tho, i would say to try out the 3DS version if you thought the controls were terrible in the HD version. The d-pad on the 3DS is much better than the PS3 or 360 and the levels have much more of a 2D element.
2NA Fish

One thing I noticed with not just Sonic but other games. There's some sort of analog delay on the PS3 d-pad. You really notice it when you need tight air control for jumping on moving platforms. I plugged in my arcade stick and the controls felt so much more crisp it wasn't funny.