Ep. 010: Super Mario

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 010: Super Mario

Chaos Theater Ep. 010 - "Super Mario"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 148 mins, 19 sec. (2:28:19) 68.0 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:36:01

02. Discussion: "Super Mario"
Runtime: 0:36:27 - 2:08:03

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 2:08:27 - 2:27:31

It's time for another super-sized episode, but this will be the last for the foreseeable future. After catching up on What We've Been Up To, we fry up the sacred cow notion that mobile gaming on phones and tablets will kill all consoles. After that it's time for the main topic, a Super Mario extravaganza. We discuss all the Mario platforming games, from the original Super Mario Bros on the NES all the way up through to Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii. We also discuss some of the sports spinoffs, along with Mario Kart, the original Super Mario RPG and its own two spinoffs, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi. Next time, we're hanging out in a blue box that's bigger on the inside with a discussion of Doctor Who.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Ground Theme" from Super Mario World by Koji Kondo
"Athletic Theme" from Super Mario Bros 3 by Koji Kondo
"Delfino Plaza" from Super Mario Sunshine by Koji Kondo

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
TheGoose

Re: Episode 010: Super Mario

Ah! Something to entertain me while I'm a work! Thanks guys!
Mu La Flaga

Wow you guys are early by 1 week.
As for Super Mario, it's hard to dip in to my memories for this but here goes.

I started off with Mario All Stars years and years back, got the big set for Christmas.
Super Mario All Stars we played alot of Mario Brothers 1, Lost Levels and 3 on 2 player mode with 1 controller.

You guys did forget the Hammer Brothers suit for Super Mario Brothers 3.

So then there was a simillar deal with Mario World and it was so very fun like Mario Brothers 3 they do sit up pretty high.

Mario 64 for it's time and the analog stick throwing Bowser was fun, I admit the stylus way is a little awkward.

For Super Mario 64 DS.
But it did add Wario, Luigi and Yoshi.

Also my brother is a big Yoshi fan.

Super Mario RPG I never got to fully play, since it didn't come out over in PAL region countries until digital download.
So there was that and I don't have a modern Nintendo console except for a DS.

New Super Mario Brothers was an awesome spin on the old formula as you said during the sgement.
Do a 2D platformer with 2.5D elements make them stand out more.

Mario Kart I've got the original, N64 and DS incarnations of it.
And the DS version gave it a step up with online play instead of being limited to just inviting friends over.

Mario Land games got them all and a working Gameboy Colour, so I can play those if I wanted to.

Finally Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story was interesting and remminded me of Super Mario RPG a bit.

Also congrats to making it to 10 episodes and I can look forward to mailbag answers next time.

And a side note, B-ombs did first appear in Suer Mario Brothers 2 first since you could pull them out of vegetables sometimes.
Chris
Administrator

Actually we're not early. Although episode 8 came out two days into July, it's supposed to be the second episode for June, so we're right on schedule now.
Mu La Flaga

Chris wrote:Actually we're not early. Although episode 8 came out two days into July, it's supposed to be the second episode for June, so we're right on schedule now.
Well I was going off dates when you post them, but ok then.
Wingnut

What's the source of the tune that is played at the beginning and end of the podcast? Is it something in particular or something that you made yourselves?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Chris
Administrator

That would be Boing Zoom DAKOTA. We only list it in the show notes for every single episode, you know. :D
kayone73

Some diehard Nintendo fans still hold onto the urban legend myth that Gunpei Yokoi's 'hit n run' death after his dismissal from Nintendo was a product of foul play, particularly because of his failure with the Virtual Boy and causing the company to lose face. It's pretty ridiculous but people like to believe crazy things sometimes.
TimberNewtype

Mario...what an institution. I remember trying to time the Pause button at just the perfect time to have Mario's fist firmly implanted in the back of Yoshi's skull, then all of us laughing hysterically.

You are right about Super Mario Bros. Wii being a system seller; it's the reason we got one, too. We have the special bundle pack red one, to which I have applied various decals from a certain Mobile Suit pilot so we have the Wii-06S Char Aznable Custom. The 4 player co-op is the most fun you'll have playing a console game in a group EVER. It also is great for kids who want to tag along (although my wife and son get into heated disputes about whether or not he should "bubble" and when he should do so).

Every time a gamer fires up the old console, he/she should take a moment of silence to pay respect to Super Mario Brothers.
Newtype Dad

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype
hotlimit

Come to think of it, I've played pretty much every single Mario game with the exception of Galaxy 2 (I'll have to get on that if I ever buy a Wii)! I wouldn't call myself a huge fan, but I certainly remember buying a Game Cube for the sole purpose of playing Sunshine.

My favorite though, by far, is Mario 64. I'm pretty confident that my level of skill and love for Mario 64 is equal to Chris's for Super Mario, though I'd only put it in my top 10, not #1. Having played a whole ton of games in my lifetime, I distinctly remember Mario 64 just being this perfect blend of interesting worlds and incredible physics - essentially a conversion of Mario to 3D (and one of the few examples of such a flawless transition).

The thing I like about 64 is that the worlds were rough enough around the edges that you felt like you were exploring them, while everything in the Sunshine and Galaxy worlds seemed super-deliberate. Like, "Oh look over here, it's a big waterfall for you to climb!", or "Here's the Ferris Wheel part, guess you'll be collecting a star here, huh?"
Jake72

Re: Ep. 010: Super Mario

I'm unsure why, however I have always loved the overall style of Extremely Mario Sixty four, and found this a little gutting we by no means obtained a direct sequel to it. I nevertheless keep in mind after i read a magazine that discussed the actual right now terminated 'Super Mario 64 2' (which was evidently as soon as within improvement and might have 2 participant co op and more levels) as well as desperately wanting this type of game would be created.

Considering the way it seems every 3D Mario game since that time has already established a catch of some kind preventing it being a ideal 3D Mario game (with regard to Sunlight it was the actual tasks and also the fairly limited concept, for Galaxy One the general no cohesiveness as well as linearity, for Galaxy Two the filler content material and linearity as well as 3D Property only the linearity from what I can easily see), I would like to see a 3D Mario sport which simply tries to be a 3D Mario game. Full-scale huge sand box style levels of the kinds found in Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong Sixty four, set in a myriad of crazy places and ideally with far better employers and much more traditional characters such as the Koopalings, Kamek, Growth Boom, etc, that'd be a kind of dream become a reality, no?