Ep. 090 - The Choice is Yours, Alto

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 090 - The Choice is Yours, Alto

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 090 - "The Choice is Yours, Alto"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 143 min., 9 sec. (2:23:09) - 65.5 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:16:31 (Duration: 0:15:48)

03. Method to Madness (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:16:31 - 0:17:16 (Duration: 0:00:45)

04. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:17:16 - 0:18:06 (Duration: 0:00:50)

05. 1st Segment: "Movie Spotlight - 'Macross Frontier Movie II - The Wings of Goodbye'" (Animated Film, 2011)
Runtime: 0:18:06 - 0:53:58 (Duration: 0:35:52)

06. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:53:58 - 0:54:56 (Duration: 0:00:58)

07. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:54:56 - 0:55:35 (Duration: 0:00:39)

08. 2nd Segment: "The Gundamn Mailbag Extended!"
Runtime: 0:55:35 - 2:04:24 (Duration: 1:08:49)

09. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:04:24 - 2:05:24 (Duration: 0:01:00)

10. Be a Part of "Gundam: Rise From the Ashes"! (Special Manga Project by Eric Keith & Mike Fonteccio)
Runtime: 2:05:24 - 2:07:55 (Duration: 0:02:31)

11. Outro: "Closing/Soul Bro's Shoutouts!/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:07:55 - 2:23:09 (Duration: 0:15:14)

Finally, Alto makes a choice and shatters a love triangle long-past it's prime in our review of the second "Macross Frontier" movie! Then, we explode another mailbag and catch up on listener-submitted questions!

Peep these Links also!:
- Chaos Theater: Episode 016 - Heavy Rain (Mechatalk Thread)
- Chaos Theater: Episode 017 - Dark City & Gattaca (Mechatalk Thread)
- Laplace's Box: Episode 004 - Models of the Year (Mechatalk Thread)
- Shinjuku Fight Club: Episode 002 - Fighting Freaks! (FightersReady.net Thread)

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode
- Coming soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Vent Noir

Re: Ep. 090 - The Choice is Yours, Alto

Can't listen to the Wings of Goodbye segment yet as I haven't seen it and want to avoid spoilers, but I'm anticipating the extended mailbag.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Dollow

I will say this right now about the mailbag question; it's not going to happen. Sorry Matthew Grawbadger I don't see the point of doing it when when you can just listen to the old eps.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Crestborne

I awoke this morning to a new podcast. It was like Christmas. I haven't had a chance to watch much Macross since the original, so this movie review makes the movie sound cool, so I'll catch it later on. What the hell happened during the mail bag segment? You guys started spouting inside jokes, and saying names I never heard of :-3

It was really funny to listen to, but I was lost @_@

I'll change the SBDF thing in my sig to the Soul Bro and the BBQ Shakers or whatever Adam said. Why? Why so much hate for us Bronys. -___-
MAHQ's Official Resident Brony
Co-Host - Ex Vs The Gundamnation w/ Soulbro
Wheel Of Doom Stream - Monday 7pm EST
twitch.tv/powerborne
Mr Bushido

Hmm, I wish the Macross segment was longer. 30 minutes is too short for this kind of topic. And I gotta agree with Soul Bro, Bronies are worse than war-orphans.

As always I enjoy the continuing slaughter of Dique... er I mean Sir Gawain.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
eanetdude

Crestborne wrote: It was really funny to listen to, but I was lost @_@

I'll change the SBDF thing in my sig to the Soul Bro and the BBQ Shakers or whatever Adam said. Why? Why so much hate for us Bronys. -___-
I'm lost a lot of the times they have their jokes with each other. Since I haven't seen any Macross or the older 80's, 90's shows. But it's usually hilarious anyway because of their chemistry with each other, and who doesn't enjoy listening to people laugh for extended periods of time? Also, it was "...BBQ Swingers".

Brainstorming some comments to leave a voicemail on 305-SWAT-REMOVED this weekend. Hmmmm.....
Destiny_Gundam

Haven't listened to the episode yet, but...
Spoiler
I can only imagine how much Neo was gloating the whole time
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chavelo

So glad you guys posted it when you did. I would have a had a very boring end to my day at work. But it was saved by you guys. Really enjoyed the show. Caught myself laughing at work xD

Keep up the great work!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Haven't listened to the episode yet, but...
Spoiler

About what?
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Dollow

hawk of endymion wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Haven't listened to the episode yet, but...
Spoiler

About what?
He means Sheryl
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Arbiter GUNDAM

Neo would gloat if Ranka had died.
Spoiler
So I decided to sit down and watch MFrontier 2 and hoo-boy that was a roller-coaster. I still actually like the final battle of Trailblazer a bit better, for reasons I'll list elsewhere. And while I don't really have a problem with the choice that Alto made, it only disappointed me in the sense that it was the choice that didn't surprise me. I kinda wanted to be surprised. Oh and that was Isamu Dyson?! I thought it was one of Roy Focker's clones.
And BTW what was that beeping sound in the background during the Frontier segment?

And yeah, we get it Neo, you hate Ranka. But I wonder what you think of her voice actress, Megumi Nakajima, or no opinion?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

Just listened to the episode, I like Vent Noir skipped Frontier movie 2 discussion the first time around.
Mailbag was pretty busy this time, lots of submissions from NastyNate and Gatekeeper outdoes me for question length I reckon.

Some pretty funny mailbag answers.

I do get the whole thing on video game release dates.
I don't agree with Soul Bro you should hold off to certain dates for releasing games.
You save up and buy whatever you want to buy, that is what I do :P
Matthew Grawbadger

Aw, the dream dies. I'll just have to add all the review segments up on paper and do my sums if I want that mind-boggling answer, Dollow. Thanks for being definite anyway.

In regards to the Macross film-

1) I thought they gave Alto the Bandai-mandated fold-amplifying upgrade plane so Ranka'd squeeze more Moe juice singing at him and through him the Vajra, just as he always got leeway as a telly punk. Did they not say this outright or am I joining non-existent dots?

2) Somewhat like DYRL before it I don't wholly blame them for the less explosive but more emotional third act, though a throwaway line about the relief squadron freeing the rest of the Vajra from their implants was missed. They didn't really have the time or focus to outdo the bits-out 2 and 1/4 Macross Mixed Martial Arts Tournament telly ending, so they wisely focused on the love triangle and my beloved third point-

3) My nomination to the Gundamn Captain's Hall of Glory, Jeffery Wilder, and what I believe is his lifelong ambition - and Macross Frontier's true dastardly scheme to justify- divebombing and surfing down a gravity well under enemy fire in a multi-billion credit warship. Think about it. Big Wednesday. The Captain's wooden wheel. He wasn't standing up to surf out of romanticism, he had his cool-ass uniform sewn up with sensors so he could motion capture the Quarter down with his surfing skills! The man's extraordinary, and his intense silence in the series was him struggling to contain his true nature for fear of it overpowering the wimps around him, as he manipulated events behind the scenes to get so out of hand this transcendant attack was required.

Captain Jeffery Wilder for the Adama Suite 2012!

*ahem*

Thank you.
Red Comet90

Great episode! I had a feeling you guys would say Austin would hate War Orphans more, but Bronies sometimes can be really obnoxious...and I mean the really annoying brony..

Anyways though, I agreed with you guys about the movie. The final battle wasn't as good as the TV series and at least for me detracted from the whole experience. The almost deaths were pretty bad too..it would have been ok if the only almost death had been Lukas and no one else. The ending was also rather depressing compared to the TV series.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
hotlimit

My guess for Soul Bro's Man is Largan!
NastyNate

Great episode as always.

I would like to add to best shots fired in Gundam you guys should have mentioned this.
Wing Zero Final Shot

Also there was a little miss understanding with my question in the episode. I meant to say do you guys have to decide sometimes to stay uptodate with Video games or Anime as far as news and how good stuff is. What i meant was there are so many new games and new animes I feal like, do to time you have to choose to either constantly watch video game sites like ign or adriasang or gametrailers.com to stay on top of what is coming out and how games do. I feel like from these sites that I really stay up to date on what games are coming out and what are good and bad. And for Anime I would not know where to even start besides animenewsnetwork. I found out a long time ago that there is just too many animes and staying on top is just so hard so I tend to focus on what games are coming out since it is easier. This is why generally in anime wise I stick to gundam or macross because there is so much to be overwhelmed by. I did recently watch Valkyria Chronicles and am currently going through .hack roots. I do plan on watching new shows eventually but right now I got Ep 4 of unicorn in the mail. :lol:
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
hotlimit

NastyNate wrote:This is why generally in anime wise I stick to gundam or macross because there is so much to be overwhelmed by.
Same exact thing here. If there's any other good stuff, I'll let Gundamn! or Chaos Theater tell me about it... it's not like I'm begging to be inundated with this stuff. Plus it makes each show you do watch that much more special.
Some Kind of Robot

I had to find that snipit at the end about the spot on description of kingdom hearts 2. So after google-ing "fucked up flipper baby", I found MC Chris. WOW, should we add this guy to the Nerd Homicide and Arson Watchlist?
If it turns burns banks and rolls...
xaos

Great episode guys. It's good to hear you mention Shinjuku Fight Club Soul Bro Ryu, it's good to know you're still going with it.

The question on what relationship you would've liked to have seen that didn't happen had me chuckling for a bit because my answer was the same as you guys, Haman and Judau.

Last thing I want to mention is hating war orphans or bronies more. XD Bronies weird me out but some of my close friends are bronies, makes me wonder how I make friends nowadays. They're even planning a MLP podcast, not my cup of tea but I'll help 'em out with my podcasting experience if they need it.

Also great work with the Macross Frontier movie spotlight, reminded me that Macross Plus is on Netflix and I'm going to finally take the time to watch it like I've been "meaning to" for months now.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Neo would gloat if Ranka had died.

And yeah, we get it Neo, you hate Ranka. But I wonder what you think of her voice actress, Megumi Nakajima, or no opinion?
I don't know who she is, so I have no opinion.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke