G Reko

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
RLZIII

G Reko

Nothing's 100% yet, though it seems like Yoshiyuki Tomino's new anime project, G Reko, is set over a 1,000 years in the future of Universal Century. Very interesting stuff. I don't know how I feel about four Gundam anime projects being in the works at the same time (UC, AGE, Origin, and now G Reko)...we'll definitely have to wait for more information and confirmation.

Howover...Tomino's return to Gundam? Awesome.

[Source: Gundam Guy (via A.E.Media and Crunchyroll.com)]
APendragon

Re: G Reko

o.o

Whoa.

Well I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more about this. I love the look of that lance-like weapon the thing is holding. The suit's shape kind of makes me think of the Red/Blue/Gold/etc Frames from CE, though I'm not sure I could say why.
Ouroboric

Animator, Illustrator. Entered Studio Ghibli in '90. Freelancer as of '99. Beginning with Turn A Gundam

1000 years in the UC timeline, plus that first drawing reminds me of the Turn A Gundam, i really wish i had continued in my Japanese studies so i could read that interview. If this is a Turn A prequel in some way, i will be extremely happy. With only the second half of X and G Gundam left before i've seen all the Gundam anime, i'm happy that i won't have to wait to long for all this great new stuff to come out.
Last edited by Ouroboric on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
Chris
Administrator

RLZIII wrote:I don't know how I feel about four Gundam anime projects being in the works at the same time (UC, AGE, Origin, and now G Reko)...we'll definitely have to wait for more information and confirmation.
Assuming G Reko is UC as claimed, I don't see what there's anything to be apprehensive about. It's been common since the early 90s for there to be more than one Gundam production running at the same time. Also, each of these series don't share the same creative staff, so it's not like the production of one somehow hinders the other. Besides, Bandai is a big company, so they can juggle multiple balls at the same time.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Ouroboric

3 UC to 1 Au sounds good to me,not that i have anything against AU, but they have really dominated the majority of the last 10 years in Gundam, nice to keep the balance. And the far off future of UC sounds like it could be very cool,especially from the drawings from the interview, which also looks incredibly well drawn, and right up my alley style wise.
kayone73

Ouroboric wrote:
Animator, Illustrator. Entered Studio Ghibli in '90. Freelancer as of '99. Beginning with Turn A Gundam

1000 years in the UC timeline, plus that first drawing reminds me of the Turn A Gundam, i really wish i had continued in my Japanese studies so i could read that interview. If this is a Turn A sequel in some way, i will be extremely happy. With only the second half of X and G Gundam left before i've seen all the Gundam anime, i'm happy that i won't have to wait to long for all this great new stuff to come out.
Turn A is more like 5-6000+ years in the future of UC, so definitely not a sequel.

Nitpicking aside, I too am genuinely interested in this and cannot wait over the coming years how this project will develop. Obviously for now it should just be considered vaporware until we see some official designs and animated production stills.
Ouroboric

Oops, i meant to say prequel.
Zeonic Glory

From the pictures of the settings and locations, I'm picking up a sort of early-Tomino vibe in there, which is, perhaps, the most interesting thing for me in what we have so far. Even if it wasn't necessarily Gundam, I know I'd still be in blissful anticipation, as I've missed his work.

Here's to a new chapter in the Bald Wizard's portfolio.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
APendragon

Yeah even just that top picture of the Gundam-thing holding his awesome looking weapon has a very strong 70s feel for whatever reason. It's fresh in comparison, and very intruiging.
Deacon Blues

G Reko has been kicking around for quite some time now. It actually started back in Gundam Ace via a short story called 『はじめたいキャピタルGの物語』.

However, Tomino tends to stray with his information. This isn't set 1000 years into the Universal Century though but is an entirely new century, or so sources have indicated.
Ouroboric

APendragon wrote:Yeah even just that top picture of the Gundam-thing holding his awesome looking weapon has a very strong 70s feel for whatever reason. It's fresh in comparison, and very intruiging.
Yeah it seems like a mixture of old and new combined,i also found the mecha designs seem equally antique and futuristic to me somehow, in the way the body is designed, and thoose drawings themselves are beautiful. I really prefer that style than the overly cleaned up and bright look of most modern anime, i would even go as far as saying i prefer the traditional hand drawn animation as a whole in all it's grittiness and imperfections, there is something that has been lost in the digital age i find.
darkhunger

That's just a concept image that Yoshida came up with after hearing Tomino's idea, guys... The final product may look completely different.

Nice to see Tomino doing something new though, but it'll probably take a while for this to see release.
Chris
Administrator

Ouroboric wrote:3 UC to 1 Au sounds good to me,not that i have anything against AU, but they have really dominated the majority of the last 10 years in Gundam, nice to keep the balance.
Last ten years? More like nearly 20, ever since the start of G Gundam. Gundam is pretty much exclusively about AU these days, at least when it comes to anime/live action. Look at how few UC productions there have been since 1994, and nearly all of them OVAs:

-08th MS Team
-G-Saviour
-MS IGLOO
-MS IGLOO 2
-Unicorn
-The Origin (whatever form it takes)

As you can see, that's not very much for a 17 year timespan.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Ouroboric

Very true.Well hopefully the next 10 years will show a revival in more UC shows and ideas,considering the time span is essentially unlimited and has so many gaps, i think there is a ton that could be done with it, and the UC era seems to keep long term fans, so the audience should only grow.
flamingtroll

well no one seems to have mentioned this, but the intent of the show is for children growing up after the Tohoku Earthquake to help them find their goals in life. He also talked abou twanting the show to still be fresh even viewing it 100 years later mentioning "2001 Space Odyssey's" flat monitors being an example of how some ideas can transend an era. Then there were some discussions about the increasingly dominant role of females as a reason for having a story about an elder sister and a younger brother. Most of the article talked basically about the designs and the rationale for the designs. Some what interesting, but nothing too speical. There is definitely quite a bit of thought into the setting of the world and its technologies.
Zeonic Glory

It certainly won't be the first time Tomino has had dominant female characters. I've particularly enjoyed some of his powerful women, such as Diana Soreil, so I'll be happily awaiting the development of this elder sister.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Andrew86

Man I am very excited by this. I am interested regardless, but if this is indeed more Tomino set in the universal century that is just simply awesome.

I also have to say at first glance the promotional photo did not do much for me, but the more I looked at that mech it's design became much more elegant.
Amadi Akintunde

I'm hoping the pacing and dialogue won't be the usual Tomino pacing and dialogue.