Legends and Lies: The Plot Twist Rumors Topic (SPOILERS)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
ShadowCell

Re: Legends and Lies: The Plot Twist Rumors Topic (SPOILERS)

Supposedly the AGE spoiler came from a disgruntled employee posting on 2ch.
Mark064

YazanGable wrote:Also, as far as ZZ goes, allegedly there's a set of notes circling the web from a very early draft of ZZ. How early? In this version, Emma's still alive. Though she did die in this version of ZZ.
Not sure if it's the same one I have as mine states that Emma might die. But if it is the same one I have it was called Zeta Gundam Part 2 and is dated October 1985. Zeta Gundam ended end of February 1986.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Here's a new one: The Gundam wiki has a trivia notation that Gundam 00 was originally supposed to be set in the far future of UC. Fact or fiction?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Chris
Administrator

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Here's a new one: The Gundam wiki has a trivia notation that Gundam 00 was originally supposed to be set in the far future of UC. Fact or fiction?
The fact that it's on Gundam Wiki should be enough of an indication that it's fiction. I've heard the same rumor elsewhere, but never any substantiation for it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
HellCat

The only real 00 rumours I can remember having any real weight:

The Gundams were originally going to have a loose chess theme, with Nadleeh basically being an in the field tactical planner/Veda Gundam.

Trans-Am was originally going to be just for Setsuna, a way for him to become the star of the team and pull out of the shadow of Lockon, who had more open natural talent.

Mizushima's original submitted proposal was going to be Gundams fighting against an unknown alien enemy from the depths of space.

What becamse season 1 was to only be a quarter of the overall show before the decision was made to split it in half.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Zeonista

Here's a recent one. AGE is supposed to be set in the future of UC. Although a version of this rumor has attended just about every AU Gundam series. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Izayuukan

Zeonista wrote:Here's a recent one. AGE is supposed to be set in the future of UC. Although a version of this rumor has attended just about every AU Gundam series. :)
Actually, that makes a lot of sense, given the type of colony design the Federation uses, the fact that there is a Federation, and the not-so-small matter that the Gundam was named and sculpted after a legendary line of warriors (i.e. MS). Finally, there have been several mentions of "the past wars" that could easily tie in with UC.

I think that Gundam AGE is the closest any AU Gundam has come to being a true successor to UC in terms of timeline.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Izayuukan wrote:
Zeonista wrote:Here's a recent one. AGE is supposed to be set in the future of UC. Although a version of this rumor has attended just about every AU Gundam series. :)
Actually, that makes a lot of sense, given the type of colony design the Federation uses, the fact that there is a Federation, and the not-so-small matter that the Gundam was named and sculpted after a legendary line of warriors (i.e. MS). Finally, there have been several mentions of "the past wars" that could easily tie in with UC.

I think that Gundam AGE is the closest any AU Gundam has come to being a true successor to UC in terms of timeline.
Aren't you forgetting Gundam X?

--Freyja Wion
Dean_the_Young

I thought Gundam X was 'The One Week War That Wasn't?'

Really interesting seeing all these debunked theories. I find myself curious how many plot twist rumors actually came true.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Izayuukan

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Aren't you forgetting Gundam X?
I guess I was. Okay, so Gundam AGE is the second-most closest AU show to the UC timeline.
Jaynz

Izayuukan wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Aren't you forgetting Gundam X?
I guess I was. Okay, so Gundam AGE is the second-most closest AU show to the UC timeline.
I'm not sure, but wouldn't the inclusion of the Kapool in Unicorn pretty much cinch Turn A as the 'far ahead future' of the UC? (I can't say if this wouldn't mean AGE wouldn't fit in between, but when you have an EXACT mobile suit dug up...)
Cardi Doorl

Jaynz wrote:I'm not sure, but wouldn't the inclusion of the Kapool in Unicorn pretty much cinch Turn A as the 'far ahead future' of the UC? (I can't say if this wouldn't mean AGE wouldn't fit in between, but when you have an EXACT mobile suit dug up...)
I take it you haven't seen ZZ Gundam.

Which is, you know, the series the Capule/Kapool is from.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Dark Duel

Jaynz wrote:I'm not sure, but wouldn't the inclusion of the Kapool in Unicorn pretty much cinch Turn A as the 'far ahead future' of the UC?
Absolutely not, because like the Borjarnons, the Capule/Kapool is originally a Universal Century mobile suit; the Borjarnons of course are MS-06 Zaku IIs, with Gavane Goony's model being an MS-05 Zaku I.
And as Cardi Doorl pointed out, the Capule/Kapool originates with the Axis Zeon/Neo-Zeon in Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam, which is set in Universal Century 0088(some 8 years or so prior to Unicorn).
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Arsarcana

And even going by the logic of 'we saw it in Turn A' G, Wing and X must all somehow be the future of UC as well since we see bits and pieces of them as well, but the problems with the Unified Turn A theory are a subject for another topic.

Turning away from Gundam for a minute, Evangelion being the kind of show it is spawned quite a few interesting rumors over the years. Given all the symbolism (most of it admittedly included just to look cool by the creators, mind you) there were a bunch of attempts to find symbolism and invent it where none existed. One was the rumor that the Eva designs were taken from a passage from [insert religious or pseudo-religious text here]. The most common form of that rumor was the 'Barons of Hell'.

Another was that Kaworu was originally supposed to have a pet cat and the cat was the final Angel. Anyone who's owned a cat or otherwise been in close contact with one can attest that this isn't as out there as you might think. :D

And for extra fun, the really bizarre theory that Asuka at the end of EoE wasn't actually Asuka but a weird Instrumentality-created amalgam of her, Rei and Misato.
Jaynz

Cardi Doorl wrote:I take it you haven't seen ZZ Gundam.
Which is, you know, the series the Capule/Kapool is from.
I don't actually remember it being in there (not saying it isn't, just that I don't remember where it showed up). I do know it shows up heavily in Turn A, though, which was my point. The fact that it apparently shows up in two major UC releases then features prominently in Turn A...
And even going by the logic of 'we saw it in Turn A' G, Wing and X must all somehow be the future of UC as well since we see bits and pieces of them as well, but the problems with the Unified Turn A theory are a subject for another topic.
But the Wing, G, and X Gundam references tend to be more oblique (showing up in montages if I remember right) rather than being plot-relevant. The UC references are more, for lack of a better term, solid. The effect of the Turn A being the final Gundam of the UC seems to be the direction even Unicorn is going - the cursed age.
Chris
Administrator

Jaynz wrote:But the Wing, G, and X Gundam references tend to be more oblique (showing up in montages if I remember right) rather than being plot-relevant. The UC references are more, for lack of a better term, solid. The effect of the Turn A being the final Gundam of the UC seems to be the direction even Unicorn is going - the cursed age.
I think you're seeing way too much into a cameo appearance by one suit that even in ZZ only showed up for 1 episode. And how can you say that Unicorn is going in the direction of Turn A, when we still have F91 and Victory taking place much later than Unicorn?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arbiter GUNDAM

Macross rumours? Wasn't Basara originally blond?

--Freyja Wion
Raptor

Another Macross rumor, that we would finally find out exactly what happened with Hikaru and Misa in Frontier.

Gurren Lagann Rumor, Kamina would actually not be dead, and reappear as an Anti-spiral construct, then, through his own manliness, free himself and become human again. Also, in this version, Nia lives.

Another Gurren Lagann rumor, the Beastgirl we see in Viral's dream was to be a full character(Sayako? Maybe? Name escapes me), and wind up with him.

Manga Rumor, Grey Stokes was supposed to die.

F91 Rumor, Seabook was supposed to have a final battle with Zabine, in which Zabine dies.

Last but not least, Gun X Sword rumor, Elena was supposed to be alive, and working for the Clawed Man.

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.