So how about that new Crossbone Gundam Manga?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
J-Lead

So how about that new Crossbone Gundam Manga?

I didn't really see a topic for this, so I figured it'd be cool if I posted this for anyone that didn't get the word yet or at least wanted to discuss it.

Mobile Suit Crossboe Gundam: Ghost. It's set in UC 0153, likely coinciding with/taking place slightly after the events of Mobile Suit Victory Gundam.

I'm always excited for both new late UC and more Crossbone. Boner achieved.

Dat white Crossbone Gundam... :E
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Deacon Blues

Re: So how about that new Crossbone Gundam Manga?

I'm not sure exactly when it takes place in 0153, but...

Info Scoop:

Font Beau/Baud (フォント・ボー): Learns of Zanscare's trump card "Angel Halo" and publishes it on his personal site. As a result he ends up being pursued by the Zanscare Empire.

Belle (ベル): Daughter of a distinguished family from Jupiter (probably Dogatie). As far as Curtis' story goes, she's the daughter of Tobia and Tetenith.

Haroro (ハロロ): An AI that Font created with research from a club at school? It's appearance seems to be a hobby of Font.

Curtis Rosco (カーティス・ロスコ):( Member of "Serpiente Tacón who came from Jupiter? Cannot see. (Probably Tobia)

Grievances: Now, this is what gets me. The Japanese is 蛇の足 with the kana of セルピエン・タコーン above it. In English it's "Snake Feet", but I'm not sure if we render it as a name (in Spanish obviously) of Serpiente Tacón. Not only that, but since when was Angel Halo referred to as 天使の輪? I've left the kana in to try and establish some concrete spellings for the series =)

I get my copy of Gundam Ace in a few hours. Updates later =)
ZeonsSilverStar

Not alot of info on this yet but I do have one little wish, I want Uso to make an appearance. It'd crazy not to have him show given the time frame and situation.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
balofo

Blind brown Tobia rides the X-0 and defeats some Sandhoges. X-0 is armed with 2 2-barreled Beam Gun that can turn into Dual Edge Beam Zanbers, it also has some sort of powerful smoke dispensers.
2NA Fish

Wheeeee. More Crossbone!

Hasegawa's stories tend to be a bit superhero-like though. I'm expecting more overpowered MS and other craziness from him.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Why do I get the feeling that this was originally a Gundam story set in UC0153 but then someone changed it to be a Crossbone thing to make sure it would sell?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Calubin_175

I see black V Gundams, maybe they'll try to link it with that black V2 Gundam from before. Perhaps the Zanspine will appear as well.

Too bad they are going to bypass that 7 nation war.
2NA Fish

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Why do I get the feeling that this was originally a Gundam story set in UC0153 but then someone changed it to be a Crossbone thing to make sure it would sell?
Perhaps, but Hasegawa Yuuichi is the same guy who did both the original Crossbone Gundam and the manga adaptation of V Gundam. This looks like a way for him to link his 2 universes, which should be pretty good.

Seeing as a certain ZZ character appears in both the V Gundam manga and Skull Heart, it's a good bet we'll see him in this new story too.
ZeonsSilverStar

Well I read the first chapter last night and I don't have any complaints, though by the way Font talked the events of this manga would really cross paths with the main story of Victory too much. Now I do have a question regarding Tobia, how can a blind man pilot a mobile suit? In the past I assumed something like this would be possible through some sort of psycommu guidance but here I'm not sure.
pd771

ZeonsSilverStar wrote:Well I read the first chapter last night and I don't have any complaints, though by the way Font talked the events of this manga would really cross paths with the main story of Victory too much. Now I do have a question regarding Tobia, how can a blind man pilot a mobile suit? In the past I assumed something like this would be possible through some sort of psycommu guidance but here I'm not sure.

Newtype powers have always essentially been ESP, so it makes sense they could develop in such a way to give someone "second sight".
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
ZeonsSilverStar

That explanation works for me. Moving on I guess the mystery surrounding the Angel Halo is solved, I'd always heard that it was allegedly made by the Jupiter Empire. If this is true the Empire is almost as tenacious as Zeon.
latenlazy

ZeonsSilverStar wrote:Well I read the first chapter last night and I don't have any complaints, though by the way Font talked the events of this manga would really cross paths with the main story of Victory too much. Now I do have a question regarding Tobia, how can a blind man pilot a mobile suit? In the past I assumed something like this would be possible through some sort of psycommu guidance but here I'm not sure.
Spoiler
At the end of Steel Seven blind Tobia (whose memory is addled btw) states that he may be blind but he can see certain things "clearer". Its implied that without his vision he is experiencing unadultered newtype sensory.
ZeonsSilverStar

Yet another reason for me to learn Japanese, I wasn't able to read the end of Steel Seven. Sure I looked at the pictures and tried to follow the story but its not the same as reading it.
latenlazy

I just made a friend translate for me.
ZeonsSilverStar

Well the new chapter out we find out how the Crossbone was recovered and we get alittle peek at the political situation on Jupiter.
Amion

I wish I had read the crossbone manga. Is it worth pursuing, or is it not worth tracking down and reading?
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
ZeonsSilverStar

I'd say its worth checking out but you shouldn't go in expecting a sequel to F91, by this point in the timeline everything concerning Cosmo Babylon has been resolved. Now while the story may be black and white when it comes to the factions its still enjoyable though some people may view Tobia, the protagonist, as overpowered for lack of a better term. Now one gripe I hear alot concerns the mecha designs, mainly those used by the Jupiter Empire, and yes some of them are hit and miss but the Crossbone Gundams themselves are beautiful. Now Skullheart is a collection of short stories revolving around the Crossbone Vanguard and some of them are interesting, the Amakusa story was interesting to me, and some are alittle silly, the story with the newtype monkeys. I can't say alot about Steel Seven I know a decent amount of people tend to dislike due to all the death. I don't think it too death heavy but thats just me.
2NA Fish

So far Ghost hasn't really gripped me with anything yet. Love how Hasegawa draws his action scenes, but I think Crossbone just isn't as good without Tomino. We'll have to see how it pans out as they release more chapters.

Original Crossbone was still the best. Skullheart and Steel 7 are alright as a bit of fun.
ShadowCell

@Amion:

Crossbone is worth a read, but don't go in expecting anything like, say, Unicorn. It's not a complex story. There is not much intrigue going on. The story is pretty black and white between the Crossbone Vanguard and the Jupiter Empire. It's not very dark. The art style and particularly the mecha designs can be off-putting; I liked the Batara, for example, but other mecha like the Pez Batara...um, take some getting used to.

I quite enjoy it, but I suspect most Gundam fans would be sorely disappointed if they knew what it was actually like.
Amion

Interesting. Well, I'll keep an open mind, although I probably won't check into it that much. I have looked over the designs back at MAHQ, and found them to be relativly ok. Still, I dislike overpowered protagonists...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.