Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Overlord Zaru

Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

http://i42.tinypic.com/v66r5y.jpg

I have a chainsaw somewhere.

And my urge to use it is rising

Although that's only if they rerun Destiny. SEED is Okay.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Evex

Re: Gundam SEED HD Remaster airs Winter 2011

This just hit me but with Gundam Unicorn, Gundam Age and now Bandai airing Gundam Seed HD. There are three Gundam shows airing with in the same time span of each other. I think its the first time we've had two gundam series running at the same time. Even if Gundam Unicorn takes a few months, but three in less then a year this is a first that I'm aware of.
Blightstrider

I see no 'Akito the Exiled'. DISAPPOINTMENT!

Anyway, I am rather looking forward to the HD version myself, even if I did hate Yamato by the end of GSD, I wuved while I was watching Seed. Maybe this will pull him back a bit into my graces since I just can't be bothered watching old Seed when I know there is a shiny one around the corner.

Wonder if there will be any sub-major edits? Apart from the lack of a certain helmet in space.

Wonder if we will be getting a subbed/dubbed release, which I can then painfully import into Australia.
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.'
Chris
Administrator

Evex wrote:This just hit me but with Gundam Unicorn, Gundam Age and now Bandai airing Gundam Seed HD. There are three Gundam shows airing with in the same time span of each other. I think its the first time we've had two gundam series running at the same time. Even if Gundam Unicorn takes a few months, but three in less then a year this is a first that I'm aware of.
I think there's less going on than you see here. SEED HD, even with some bits of new animation, is still an old series, so it's just a rerun. There's nothing really special about Gundam reruns, as they've been done in the past.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Overlord Zaru

Chris wrote:
Evex wrote:This just hit me but with Gundam Unicorn, Gundam Age and now Bandai airing Gundam Seed HD. There are three Gundam shows airing with in the same time span of each other. I think its the first time we've had two gundam series running at the same time. Even if Gundam Unicorn takes a few months, but three in less then a year this is a first that I'm aware of.
I think there's less going on than you see here. SEED HD, even with some bits of new animation, is still an old series, so it's just a rerun. There's nothing really special about Gundam reruns, as they've been done in the past.
Ah well, no News Translation I guess.

Well if they rerun SEED, they don't need to cancel AGE and let it run. I mean 3 Gundam series out, 1 being a rerun? That's a way to gain money.
ShadowCell wrote: Zanald is so disappointed in you he's going to smash a desk for every time you people disappoint him. there will be no desks for the little schoolchildren of Vagan because Zanald will have smashed them all. i hope you people are happy.
Thrawnma

Overlord Zaru wrote:http://i42.tinypic.com/v66r5y.jpg

I have a chainsaw somewhere.

And my urge to use it is rising

Although that's only if they rerun Destiny. SEED is Okay.
Destiny was overall a better series at its best, but both get terrible in their last third.

Destiny just happens to get worse than SEED does because ... well, Bling Teenagers rule in Fukuda's mind I guess. Too many problems to start with just one.

Edited:
Since the original quality/size on the picture was far too small to see anything legibly, I reverse searched and got one that could actually be read:
http://neregate.com/blog/wp-content/upl ... ime-v4.png
HellCat

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there was some overlap with Destiny and SD Gundam Force in Japan. Bandai count that and Brave Battle Warriors as legitimate Gundam TV runs if the AGE announcement is anything to go by.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Evex

There has been one thing nagging me over the years, and that's the appearance of the blue frame in the opening. It leaves so many questions in my head just thinking about it. Was the suit even called the blue frame back then? Who was its intended pilot? How much of the script was changed from the original version?

Blue Frame appearance in opening

The only idea for an actual pilot of the blue frame is cagalli. I say this because it's rumored that Flay was meant to be the original pilot for the Strike Rouge. Actually now that I look at Gundam Official why are the red frame, gold frame and blue frame included with the rest of orbs mobile suits?
HellCat

I believe it's been confirmed that the original plan was to include the Astray stuff more directly in the show. However this plan fell apart for some reason, leaving their appearance in the OP as little more then promotion for the sidestories themselves.

As for why the Astrays are on the official site- they are technically Orb mobile suits and when the show was released in America there was going to be Astray figures in the toyline (not sure if they got released). Since Keith and Mark (who were actively running GundamOfficial at the time) were both fans of the Astray stories and designs, they were able to justify including them as promotion for the toys.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Dark Duel

Evex wrote:There has been one thing nagging me over the years, and that's the appearance of the blue frame in the opening. It leaves so many questions in my head just thinking about it. Was the suit even called the blue frame back then? Who was its intended pilot? How much of the script was changed from the original version?
I jsut recently rewatched Seed, and I never saw that still of Blue Frame anywhere in the OPs. HOWEVER, there IS a still of Red Frame that appears briefly in the first OP clip.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Zeonic Glory

HellCat wrote: As for why the Astrays are on the official site- they are technically Orb mobile suits and when the show was released in America there was going to be Astray figures in the toyline (not sure if they got released). Since Keith and Mark (who were actively running GundamOfficial at the time) were both fans of the Astray stories and designs, they were able to justify including them as promotion for the toys.
As I recall, Astray toys were indeed released stateside.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Chris
Administrator

I'd have to go back to my DVDs to check, but there sure does seem to be lots of cut off heads in that video.
Flame-X

Yep it's been cropped to 16:9. Here's an example.

Original and HD Remaster
Chris
Administrator

I can't help but laugh at all the people paying the absurd prices for this "HD" set that is missing footage from every frame. I don't see why this is being done. Bandai did nice HD remasters for the BDs of Zeta and ZZ without doing any cropping to create fake widescreen. However, it seems as though they're trying to make SEED more "modern" especially with the rebroadcast.
JulieYBM

They have to crop it for broadcast. Lest they air it with black bars on the side, but they might fear that such would drive viewers off. Dragon Ball Kai was cropped for broadcast, too, but the Blu-rays were left uncropped thankfully.
She/Her
Chris
Administrator

They don't have to crop it for broadcast. When One Piece has flashbacks with pre-HD footage, they put border images on the left and right sides. Also, unlike DB Kai, the Blu-rays are advertised as 16:9, so they will indeed be cropped.
JulieYBM

Chris wrote:They don't have to crop it for broadcast. When One Piece has flashbacks with pre-HD footage, they put border images on the left and right sides. Also, unlike DB Kai, the Blu-rays are advertised as 16:9, so they will indeed be cropped.
And, as I said in my second sentence, they might think that would drive viewers off. In One Piece the re-cycling of animation is never more than a minute or so, which is a bit different from a twenty-four minute episode. Toei Animation has also begun to re-animate and re-record older scenes, so that's becoming less of an issue thankfully.

I can't say I have a retort for the Blu-rays, though. That seems like a case of Sunrise being lazy, which is funny considering Toei Animation is the one known for being dirt cheap and they bothered producing 1080p/480p masters in 4:3, 1080i 16:9 masters, 720p 16:9 masters, and 480p 16:9 masters and went through the trouble of manually cropping the older animation so it didn't look overly awkward for the broadcast and DVD release. All of this to avoid having to re-animate Dragon Ball from scratch. :lol:

From the looks of things here Sunrise rushed right into production, amidst AGE airing weekly, production of Unicorn, and a supposed animation for The Origin. Sunrise is running around like a chicken with its head cut off. :lol:
She/Her
Mu La Flaga

Flame-X wrote:Yep it's been cropped to 16:9. Here's an example.

Original and HD Remaster
I just have to make the comment upon comparing.
Is it me or does the original look clearer compared to the new HD one?

Like it looks cleaner in colours or slightly less pixelated?
Evex

Mu La Flaga wrote:
Flame-X wrote:Yep it's been cropped to 16:9. Here's an example.

Original and HD Remaster
I just have to make the comment upon comparing.
Is it me or does the original look clearer compared to the new HD one?

Like it looks cleaner in colours or slightly less pixelated?
From my experience with resizing photos with GIMP. You generally lose color, get blurry or pixelated images when the image isn't properly re-sized. According to GIMP the original image is 640 x 480 pixels. The newer image is 800 x 426. I tried resizing the original image to see what it would look like at either of the newer animations proportions. At its width of 800 the length of the original image becomes 600. At a Height of 426 the image width becomes 568. In theory the original placed on a 800x426 pixel ratio should look like this.

Theoretical widescreen of original image