Kannazuki No Miko

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Gyra Solune

Kannazuki No Miko

I've gathered that it's half yuri, half mecha. That's about it. And sadly I discovered this about a month after initiating a story that had a similar genre mix.

So naturally I feel inclined to watch it. But is it any good at all? I felt inclined to watch SEED Destiny before finding out it would be fairly infuriating to go through with, so opinions would be food.
APendragon

Re: Kannazuki No Miko

<3<3<3

KnM is what really introduced a much younger me to the whole yuri thing. Raised in rural mid-west US, the concept really hadn't even occurred to me, but it's ended up helping me to learn a lot about myself.

To be completely and brutally honest, it's a pretty odd show, and the whole mecha part feels a little forced in. It would have been just fine if everyone fought with their own weapons or whatever, but they have big shiny mechs instead. But if you can accept the premise, awesome haha. A lot of the characters are interesting, some cliche anime people, some interesting subversions of the norm, pretty varied though only the main 3 or 4 are really given a lot of buildup. The majority of the bad guys we get glimpses of them, and are kind of left to fill in the blanks ourselves.

It was definitely entertaining though, I came to tears a time or two, and still go back and rewatch it on an annual basis or so. I'd suggest it, if only because it's a pretty different departure from what you'd normally find, and as it's only 12 or so episodes it's not a huge time investment.

This is the AMV that introduced me to the show. I think it'll be confusing enough if you decide to watch it that it won't actually spoil too much for you, though if you're really concerned the last 40 seconds or so are kind of spoilery, assuming you know enough about it to recognize what's happening. Mostly I think it's just a well put together AMV with a good song to go with it. Watch at your own risk, but I enjoyed it.

Overall I'd definitely suggest it, but don't go into it expecting really epic (or particularly sensical) mech battles like you'd see in Gundam or something. They're more ancillary than that.
Destiny_Gundam

It has yuri and mecha in it, yeah.

Is it good? Hell no. It's full of QUALITY and the mecha fights are pretty lame for the most part.

Did I enjoy it? Oh yeah. It's incredibly corny and silly and worth some lulz. The mecha designs are awesome even if the action wasn't.

The music is awesome, too. To date it still has my favourte opening ever.

It is the anime that made me realise I don't care for yuri, though. I have a problem with how it developed and the last episode really pours on the sappy stuff and I was rather uncomfortable watching it.

So yeah, I suppose I'd give it a "so bad, it's good" recommendation. I'd highly recommend watching Kyoushiro to Towa no Sora/Shattered Angels instead, though.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Zeonic Glory

Ah yes, Kannazuki no Miko. A good friend of mine and I watched it all in one sitting about two years ago when he just happened to bring the DVDs. I remember it as being mediocre, with some rather flat characters and somewhat dry atmosphere. While I do enjoy yuri, I found that I was no longer watching it for that, but instead was watching it for laughs, with jokes about flutes never failing to arise whenever someone mentioned this show to me.

In short, I guess it's more of a title you watch with a buddy or two and have some laughs at, rather than embarking on it as some sort of soul-searching adventure.

I will say this, though, one of the enemies has a mech that transforms into a brofist.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Gyra Solune

It's actually kind of a good thing that this isn't too overly deep and more of a silly thing to watch. Considering my three most recent things have been Eva, Fafner, and UC Gundam, I could use something lighthearted. I've mostly just been fearing that would derail the relative seriousness of my own story.

Eh. At the very least, it's something with which I can draw parallels and reference, and have everyone break the fourth wall about how it's not that original.
Sume Gai

mmmm.... I wouldn't say precisely lighthearted more Overly melodramatic to the point that some find it humorous.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Flame-X

I didn't really like the show overall but the OP/ED/Insert music is one of the best I've heard during its time. If yuri and super robot mech is your thing, then give it a shot.
Gyra Solune

Finished watching it. It was...exactly as everyone said. I couldn't quite take it seriously at all, not until about episode 8.

Annoyingly, it happened to use a lot of plot devices that I had in my story that I had going on for months prior to watching this. The main mech being made by the designated enemy (that's not that uncommon though), said enemy being far too colorful and quirky for their own good, an ongoing sibling rivalry with the antagonistic sibling being very influential to their side, the primary couple being a relatively shy girl and someone far more outgoing, and you know, Chikane just was the same analogous character I had, if she was a mechanic as well (and was BFFs with Suzumiya Haruhi). They even look pretty much exactly the same.

At least the first chick wasn't basically Rei, at least it followed a more traditional super robot premise instead of the real-type universe I have, at least the mech design wasn't the very feminine style I envision, and at least I'm not going to take until the very last minutes of the story for things to work out. And though I planned a sad ending (partially because nobody actually ends up deserving a happy one), I recently found out EVERY EFFING YURI THING ENDS IN TRAGEDY. So yeah.
Destiny_Gundam

Just because it used the same ideas doesn't mean that you can't do them better, so go ahead with your story.

The ending to Kanazuki no Miko is not particuarly tragic. Himeko and Chikane did meet again.

And many times afterwards. They show up in most works by Kaishaku, being a different reincarnation of them each time. That's a part I hated about KnM, though. "Sorry Souma, but I loved Chikane in my past lives, so obviously I must love her in this one too!"

Definitely watch Kyoushiro to Towa no Sora aka Shattered Angels next. Practically everything about it is far better than KnM, right down to the relationship between that version of Chikane and Himeko. KnM was enjoyably bad, but Kyoushiro is actually good.
Gyra Solune

...They met again? I know about the sequels but...herp?

Also, yeah, there's not THAT much similarities, I just overexaggerated what there was. It's Chikane that got me that way, as I said she's an ojou version of a chick I have.

And even though the only two Orochi machines I liked at all were the giant fist and that purple-haired girl's one, that last-minute moon sword thing was awesome. Too bad it hardly did anything, and in the big finale thing it just kinda stood there while Souma got his meh thing back.

...I briefly wonder if this will ever get into SRW, though. It would be...wierd. But it follows pretty much the same formula as Zeorymer. And beating up mooks to the opening theme would make the entire game. If anything, the show had a damn awesome OP.
Destiny_Gundam

Yes, Ame no Murakumo is pretty sweet, but it didn't get to do much of anything. The design is resued as Koan's (Kyoushiro's version of Chikane) mecha, at least (In Kyoushiro, the mecha are much smaller, can be summoned out of hammer space, and the girls can call on specific body parts that attach onto their own).
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Yeah, I liked how this series started out a bit, but lost a good bit of taste for it when suddenly the whole cast of bad guys were written off in the course of a single episode. >.> The way they handled the ending was rather....."meh" to me as well. To put if very lightly.

Kyoushiro to Towa no Sora is way better, and yuri fans still get their innuendos. ^^b
2NA Fish

Oh no! Not this series! People who like yuri get their smutty scenes interrupted by giant mecha battles, people who like mecha get their giant mecha battles interrupted by smut. Lose-lose situation. :roll:

This one falls into the "So friggin bad it's awesome" category.
I had a horrible time actually watching it, but the laughing about it with friends later was so much fun it almost made it worth watching. Get enough people you know to watch it, and just uttering the name of the anime is a punchline in itself. :lol:
Gyra Solune

So, I have gathered many things from the first episode of Kyoshiro to Towa.

*Apparently the mecha can't decide whether to be mecha, Tekkaman suits, or teleporty weapons. All I can gather is that they look very much like they came from Godannar.

*The protagonist has wet dreams about some random guy.

*She's also convinced that a completely different-looking random guy is the same person as the prior. She gets sexually harassed in public for her troubles.

*To confirm it's a sequel of some kind to KnM, the Himeko and Chikane analogues appear for about half a second.

*None of this has been given any explanation in the slightest.

...Intriguing. I think it's awesome, but I can't tell because I'm confused and it'll take another episode or two to establish what on earth the mood is.
Zeonic Glory

2NA Fish wrote:Oh no! Not this series! People who like yuri get their smutty scenes interrupted by giant mecha battles, people who like mecha get their giant mecha battles interrupted by smut. Lose-lose situation.
I didn't really lose out because I like both.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
2NA Fish

Zeonic Glory wrote:I didn't really lose out because I like both.
Mmmm. I found the contrasting scenes distracted too much from one another. Sort of like flipping channels between Discovery Channel and Fox every few seconds.