Burke's First Impressions of Gundam Seed Destiny!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Fiver

Re: Burke's First Impressions of Gundam Seed Destiny!

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:No, there are actually quite a few fanfic authors that like to pair up Shinn and Cagalli because, y'know, he hates her so much it must be because he has a crush on her. :D
They're both blunt, impulsive, and hot tempered. It would be like matches and gasoline.
Fiver

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
Spoiler
I meant why did he go back and become an admiral.
Destiny shows us why Athrun left Orb and rejoined ZAFT. Durandal, Cagalli, Shinn, Yzak, Dearka, Meer, Lunamaria, and Yuna all influenced that decision.
Spoiler
It doesn’t us why Athrun was wearing that Orb uniform. It implies Athrun is now serving as an officer in the Orb military, but for all we know Athrun and Kira just traded uniforms as a joke.

We don’t know if it’s a real or courtesy rank. Before World War I, Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany held the rank of Admiral in the British Navy. This allowed him several perks, including a fancy uniform, but he did not live in England nor could he command British forces. Athrun could equally well be a ZAFT liaison officer to Orb, wearing the Orb uniform as a courtesy.

If it is a real rank, which is probable, Athrun could be living anywhere in Orb territory, which could include space. Perhaps Athrun is now stationed at New Heliopolis.

On further thought, it doesn’t even guarantee Athrun is living in Orb territory. He could very well be Orb’s ambassador to the PLANTs.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

It was great to read all these reactions to the show. It reminded me of the first time i watched Destiny. Of course, I never went online and looked into the other fans reactions and if I had any questions, I had to form my own thoughts on why things happened. Thus I formed my own opinion of Destiny...which was positive and still is to this day.

Which is why I am under the belief that half the people who hate Destiny wouldn't if several fans just kept their opinions to themselves...sure Destiny was flawed, but even during your reactions Burke there was mostly a negitive reaction to Destiny. It was always REALLY downtrodden and I am afriad that it (overall) effected your feelings about Destiny.

I am happy to see that you liked it and in my opinion Destiny definatly isn't the worst Gundams series ever (hell after reading all those comments on Zeta Gundam: Why is it so great? I think even less of those people who hate Destiny and hold Zeta up as a shinging finger of greatness...yes that just happened :) ) But I personally think almost everyone over-reacts to Destiny. So much so that I believe that Destiny is a perfect foil for Zeta. Zeta is considered to be the best, while destiny...the worst. Is that actually correct? Depends on your reasons, bias, and overall thinking...but personally? Zeta is not the best Gundam series ever...and Destiny certinally isn't the worst.

Anyway the reason I even started to post this is because of this video I just recently watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LftUI1Ya ... ideo_title

Otaku No Video is not very popular...but I like the guy who reviews these animes and he has a foundness for Gundam that I can relate to. He is very smart and knowledgable...so much so that I am begining to question some fo the knowledge of some of the people here on mechatalk...:)

The video is his review of Destiny and before people say he is a idiot and so forth...watch the rest of the video, then maybe go through his channel and watch the rest of the Gundam reviews. It is nice to see a clear minded person who isn't bogged down in the...current... that is mechatalk or influenced by some of the vehament hate Destiny gets here...talk about Gundam and give it a more standard anime lover perspective. Really this review is refreshing and makes me think that is the kind of thoughts Burke would have...if people weren't telling him he was going to be disapointed by Destiny and that it was terrible every other comment.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Arbiter GUNDAM

Funny you should mention that Otaku no Video episode... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0kZx_R88y4
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Soma Taozi

Habalgaioh!

I really don't want to sit through a 30 minute video of that guy taking every single thing that Brent said in the first video and ripping it apart. Anyone can do that, my point was taking a fresh perspective of the series. Really I have seen that guy before and as much as I enjoyed his Gundam AGE response to the hate, I have always found it hypocritical of him to tell people to stop hating on a series, when in the same video he ragges (heavily) on Destiny.

But maybe I will give the whole video a watch when I have the time, booze ( :) ) and energy to watch some anime review get ripped apart.

It was just nice to see someone review Destiny without outside influence and without their head up their ass.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Chris
Administrator

Soma, I don't think it's fair to say that GSD gets vehement hate here or that almost everyone overreacts to it. There are a lot of well-founded complaints about GSD, and pointing them out is not hating, nor was every other post in this thread talking about how terrible it is. And even with all the criticism in this thread, Burke said he still enjoyed, as was also the case with 00 despite all the criticism in that thread. As for that ONV video, I honestly think all the points he raises are pretty ridiculous, and it sounds like he's approaching GSD from the viewpoint of a Kira fanboy. I have more criticisms about his video, but I won't get into them now because that video is also a Gundamn! Mailbag question.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Soma Taozi

Yeah...you guys are right. I just took the time to watch the whole video from the anime overview and it does seem like ONV was biased...which saddened me, since I am used to seeing ONV raise some interesting points and be open minded. The first video i watched of ONV was Brent's review of Turn A Gundam, which felt like he summed up my entire experience in watching Turn A. I don't know...I guess I blinded myself to Brent's bias.

And after watching TheAnimeOverviewers response...I rewatched ONV's "review" and realized it wasn't much of a review in the first place. He doesn't even say if the show was good. Nor did he even discuss the show in any standard reviewer format. From someone like me who likes to review stuff and give my two cents (just ask ShadowCell :) ) I can't honestly see what Brent was doing in his video. What was he reviewing? What was he addressing? He didn't really discuss Destiny and instead went into fighting against some of what the fans say about the show. If he really wanted to take a stand against Destiny hate. He should have made a review where he took a honest look at Destiny and seen where it succeded and failed in a TV show standard. At least, that would be what I would have done. And if he wanted to incorperate some of the points he raised in his video, he should have done so IN a acutal review of the show.

Oh and sorry if I made it seem like I don't realize Destiny has flaws. It does...big ones. Oh yes...some very VERY big ones. And yes, Destiny doesn't get too much vehement hate here on mechatalk. I guess I got a little carried away, I just was worried the Burke's thoughts of Destiny got a little skewed.

Blah! Once again, I make more sense in hindsight AFTER I post a reply. Seriously, I need to stop writing stuff on the fly and posting it without thinking about how clear I am. Sorry guys!

-Me, 7/19/2020
DuelGundam2099

All the hate Destiny gets is what made me nervous when I first came here. Why? It's my favorite gundam, well, anything. (I honestly thought at first that Chris would press the ban button on me if I ever said it :lol: ) That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the other shows, it's just when push comes to shove I know where I get most of my enjoyment from. A few of the complaints are legit, some of them I don't agree with but I can understand why someone else would not like it, and the others are more like trolling/fanboy wars more than anything. Does Seed Destiny have flaws? Yes, but so does every gundam everything out there to some extent or another.
AmuroNT1

Hey, I was one of the guys who started that fight between GameFAQs and MAHQ about a decade ago and yet I got forgiven. I think people will cut you some slack for actually enjoying Destiny. :D
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Chris
Administrator

DuelGundam2099 wrote:All the hate Destiny gets is what made me nervous when I first came here. Why? It's my favorite gundam, well, anything. (I honestly thought at first that Chris would press the ban button on me if I ever said it :lol: )
My mouse is hovering over the custom "DESTINY ban" button as we speak. :twisted:
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Evex

I think these are two reasons why people hate SEED Destiny. Note watch them all the way through, and these are not AMV or videos of the Gundams, but rather some guy showing how many Gundams go into the Destiny and Strike Freedom.

Destiny Gundam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpbEUdL2 ... er&list=UL

Strike Freedom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ZT7A7m ... er&list=UL
Sume Gai

While I agree with some of the points he raises, -This- is an example of hate-mongering. yelling, screaming and cursing to get your point across. Anyone acting like that here would be banned quick.

I had problems with Destiny's mobile suit designs
Spoiler
Many overly obvious knock offs and final upgrades that border between bad fanfiction and simply half-assed ideas. (Legend = Providence but better; Strike Freedom = Freedom + the only type of weapon Kira didn't have before + the best new propulsion system + new stuff we just made up; Destiny looks offputtingly toyetic, etc.)

In retrospect, I've come to laugh and shrug at the latter and halfheartedly accept the former. If you want to discuss further this we can take it to the mecha section
However that's hardly something that will make me dislike a show on it's own. My personal problems with Destiny have more to do with it's story telling and how it balanced the new and old casts. but I think we've discussed those more than enough.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern