Ep. 017: Dark City & Gattaca

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 017: Dark City & Gattaca

Chaos Theater Ep. 017 - "Dark City & Gattaca"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 119 mins, 7 sec. (1:59:07) 54.6 MB

Special Guest Host: Dale Rausch (opening and Dark City & Gattaca)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:24:49

02. Discussion: "Dark City & Gattaca"
Runtime: 0:25:21 - 1:24:28

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:25:00 - 1:56:20

Chaos Theater takes on a double feature of sci-fi noir classics with our discussions of Dark City and Gattaca, featuring guest Dale Rausch. Before that, we catch up on what we've been doing and slay the sacred cow of hating on popular games. As previously announced on Laplace's Box, we've set up a Google Voice number so you can leave us a voicemail for inclusion in the show. Call 305-792-8324, but be sure to specify that your message is for Chaos Theater, and keep it under 4 minutes. Next time, we follow a blue space vampire's quest for revenge with a discussion of Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Your Rain" from Silent Hill 4 by Akira Yamaoka with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
"Breeze - in Monochrome Night" from Silent Hill 3 by Akira Yamaoka

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
kayone73

Re: Episode 017: Dark City & Gattaca

Great segments on a pair of great films. I've been a long time Dark City fan and saw Gattaca finally a few years ago.

On Dark City, I think something worthy of mention is how similar the film was in theme and style to the old anime film Urusei Yatsura movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer, which was about the old japanese myth that the word was a flat disc transported on the back of a giant turtle flying thru the heavens. The visual parallels between that and Dark City are pretty astounding.

The final fight scene between Murdoch and the Strangers had a very anime/Akira type feel to it as well.
TimberNewtype

I remember going to the theatre to see Gattaca with a group of "friends" and being the only person who liked it. In fact, everyone else hated it and hated on me for enjoying it. I guess it didn't have enough explosions for them. So, thanks for allowing me to not feel like an outcast for loving this great film.
Newtype Dad

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype
hotlimit

We had to watch Gattaca in biology class in high school (???). That show you talked about a few episodes ago on Gundamn! reminded me of it (something about some non-astronaut guy working his way into the space program). Dark City on the other hand always looked way too creepy for me. Can't wait to hear your guys' thoughts on them (though I'm more hyped for the Gankutsuou episode!)
Mu La Flaga

Just finished listening to the episode.
Dark City and Gattaca never seen, I always did see this poster for Gattaca in school days and I was kind of curious due to it being up on the wall in an art room and all that.

May have to look in to them, the Crow is one I also want to look in to having seen it in stores.

As for mailbag answers.
I'm surprised neither of you mentioned the Contra games :P
Having seen some clips on youtube on the harder difficulty they look insane on some of those final bosses.
hotlimit

The new Andrew Niccol movie (Just in Time?) sounds just like the fake 'manga within a manga' that they made up in the comic series Bakuman. After seeing "Law Abiding Citizen", I think Hollywood screenwriters secretly keep stashes of Tsugumi Ohba manga around to get new manuscript ideas.
sakurangel

I never saw dark city, but gattaca a good count but never finished... with this i will be eable to done with the mvie, thanks
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I enjoyed this episode. It was nice. Pedro seems to have consistent trouble with his audio in these past few episodes, though. It's like he's always drifting too far from his mic, but sometimes comes back into range. Is he on a headset or is his mic sitting on a desk or something?

Sorry I don't have much to say about Dark City and Gattaca, but I'm really looking forward to the Gankutsuou ep. =)

Also, may I ask why "I Robot" was supposedly such a bad movie? I enjoyed it, and I'm usually very critical of most Hollywood movies.

**edit: I also forgot something. You guys screwed up the Morgan Freeman-Vegeta line.

Obviously, when someone asks, "What does the scouter say?"

You're supposed to answer,

"IT'S OVER 9000!!!"

I demand that you make that correction in the next episode. :P
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Mu La Flaga

New re-edit to make better use of this accidental post.
I admit I have been kind of curious about that movie.

"In Time" might be curious to go and see it.
hotlimit

Seraphic wrote: Also, may I ask why "I Robot" was supposedly such a bad movie? I enjoyed it, and I'm usually very critical of most Hollywood movies.
I think they said something about it in the Blade Runner episode. I think it's just about bad adaptations of sci-fi literature in general.
Chris
Administrator

Seraphic wrote:I enjoyed this episode. It was nice. Pedro seems to have consistent trouble with his audio in these past few episodes, though. It's like he's always drifting too far from his mic, but sometimes comes back into range. Is he on a headset or is his mic sitting on a desk or something?

Sorry I don't have much to say about Dark City and Gattaca, but I'm really looking forward to the Gankutsuou ep. =)

Also, may I ask why "I Robot" was supposedly such a bad movie? I enjoyed it, and I'm usually very critical of most Hollywood movies.
It's a hardware issue, so there's not much he can do about it until we get some better equipment. As for I, Robot, it's generally just a bad movie full of so many sci-fi cliches, like the fact that it's set in the future, but has a "retro" guy whose favorite time period happens to coincide with the time the movie was released. That's a small thing, but the biggest problem for me is that it's not an actual adaptation of Asimov. It was written as an entirely different movie called Hardwired, and they simply slapped the I, Robot name and the Three Laws onto it to make it more high profile.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

My cousin worked as a cameraman for awhile and worked on films like Detroit Rock City and Frequency. I think he worked on Dark City too but I'm not sure. Either that or Dark Man.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Destiny_Gundam

On Elfen Lied, yeah the manga gets really screwed up and silly towards the end. It got to the point where I just wanted it to be over already. The actual epilouge was pretty nice, though.

On the point of the 'incest baby', though, remember that marrage between cousins is perfectly legal and acceptable in Japan. I had absolutely no problem with that turn out.

I have no problem with big boobs, they just have to have a nice shape and not look ridiculous.
Destiny_Gundam

Oh, and one mooooore thing:

Pedro, the official short form of Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai is Haganai, not BokuTomo (but that's what I would have abreviated it to as well).
The Fowl Sorcerous

Re: Ep. 017: Dark City & Gattaca

I'm pretty sure I watched both of these back to back during one of many idle weekends in the dorms digging through the film library's high-concept sci-fi flicks with my buddies from the fine arts department. good times had by all, then we spent 2 hours finding a pizza place that delivered after 3am.
[[lorem ipsum]]
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Re: Ep. 017: Dark City & Gattaca

holy crap guys I love these two movies, it is so hard to find people that enjoy them

chaos theater is amazing but I feel that things will go down in Mass Effect and Dragon Age since I hate the last games to come out and the G3 is coming
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!